Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Popular Human posted:

I was playing Tomb Raider for the 360 last night, and as I climbed up a ridge I found three guys standing there facing away from me. I pulled out the pistol and shot one in the head, then turned and hit the second guy with another headshot. The third guy reacted by bolting straight for cover and as he hid behind it I heard him yell "holy poo poo she's a good shot!" I love it when enemies have little behavior quirks based on what the player's doing, and Tomb Raider pays off in spades.

I've also started playing it recently and it's neat that the AI will call out your position and will notice when you're reloading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Popular Human posted:

I was playing Tomb Raider for the 360 last night, and as I climbed up a ridge I found three guys standing there facing away from me. I pulled out the pistol and shot one in the head, then turned and hit the second guy with another headshot. The third guy reacted by bolting straight for cover and as he hid behind it I heard him yell "holy poo poo she's a good shot!" I love it when enemies have little behavior quirks based on what the player's doing, and Tomb Raider pays off in spades.

There are going to be a couple of sequences later you will goddamn cream yourself over.

Nobody spoil him.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

poptart_fairy posted:

There are going to be a couple of sequences later you will goddamn cream yourself over.

Nobody spoil him.

grenade launcher

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I dunno if it was scripted or not, but there was one bit where I busted into an area, blew some fucker's face off with the shotgun and Lara yelled "That's right, still alive!" while his buddy scrambled for cover. :black101:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bunnyofdoom posted:

So my plan to become as awesome as him by drinking a ton won't work?

I found the twist really clever too, and a great way to explain his powers like healing and lifitng poo poo up

The fun part is he immediately goes back to being bad at his job once the ethereal moves to one of the other characters.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

My sim in Sims 3 befriended the person that was burglarizing him.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

The fun part is he immediately goes back to being bad at his job once the ethereal moves to one of the other characters.

It was almost hilarious in that he wasn't just bad but was in fact a straight up liability.

I don't know how much difference it makes to the events but I loved playing the Aussie scientist when the option came up.
He was just so fascinated by everything

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The sound guy for Tomb Raider really earned his paycheck. The death scenes that were so loved/hated are less graphic than, say, Resident Evil 4 (there's no actual dismemberment or damage to the character model and it's usually obscured behind a camera filter or jerky camera movements) but the meaty thumps and squishes make it so visceral.

Captain Lavender posted:

"Sims can no longer "Try for Baby" with the Grim Reaper."

-Actual patch note for The Sims 3

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Captain Lavender posted:

I believe in 2 you had the option to bust out the burglar that gets caught by the police, you just click on the police car when they arrive. And the cop gets pissed at you for wasting his time.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Sad lions posted:

It was almost hilarious in that he wasn't just bad but was in fact a straight up liability.

I don't know how much difference it makes to the events but I loved playing the Aussie scientist when the option came up.
He was just so fascinated by everything

Alot. You get the best ending with him (Go Go Gay Aussie Rat of Tobruk Scientist man). Faulke straight up genocides the aliens and kills all the sleepwalkers, and Weaver, I think, is in the middle? I dunno

EDIT: Holy poo poo, he really is Archer Turns out after Pima, YOU CAN GET HIM DRUNK IN HIS OFFICE So glad I discovered this easter egg.

bunnyofdoom has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Aug 30, 2014

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

...of SCIENCE! posted:

"Sims can no longer "Try for Baby" with the Grim Reaper."

-Actual patch note for The Sims 3

That game surprised me. I got it in one of those Humble Bundles with a bunch of other stuff - so probably for about $.75. I'll be playing late into the night thinking it's about 2AM, and I look out the window and it's dawn. I need to play responsibly.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Alot. You get the best ending with him (Go Go Gay Aussie Rat of Tobruk Scientist man). Faulke straight up genocides the aliens and kills all the sleepwalkers, and Weaver, I think, is in the middle? I dunno

The endings are the other way around. I'm glad I made the right choice in my playthrough considering what downer endings the other two are. Though in true The Bureau fashion, I believe in Faulke's ending he basically resigns the Sleepwalkers to a peaceful but inevitable death due to the lack of a cure, despite one of the sidequests in the main game showing they've taken steps towards a possible cure. :shrug:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oh my god! Ellie just learned how to whistle:3:

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Animal Crossing: New Leaf is full of little touches.

When you have a piranha in your aquarium, it'll follow you around and try to bite you through the tank.

If you play a song through a record player instead of a stereo or something, you'll get the little scratches that you hear with old LPs.

I love this dumb game.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf is full of little touches.

When you have a piranha in your aquarium, it'll follow you around and try to bite you through the tank.

If you play a song through a record player instead of a stereo or something, you'll get the little scratches that you hear with old LPs.

I love this dumb game.
Even cooler is that these things have been happening in Animal Crossing since the very first Animal Crossing--at least the piranha thing. The record-player scratches are definitely in Wild World, if not further back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alhazred posted:

Oh my god! Ellie just learned how to whistle:3:

One of my favourite accidental moments was when a guy managed to get behind my cover and was just about to shoot me in the face while I was mid-reload... Only for Ellie to save my rear end at the very last second by hucking a brick at his head to distract him for the brief moment I needed to finish reloading.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of my favourite accidental moments was when a guy managed to get behind my cover and was just about to shoot me in the face while I was mid-reload... Only for Ellie to save my rear end at the very last second by hucking a brick at his head to distract him for the brief moment I needed to finish reloading.

Her "Holy poo poo Joel" after you do something like molotov a guy to death was what surprised me.

Stick Figure Mafia has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Aug 31, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Iji's an awesome game full of secrets. The Scrambler isn't particularly exciting but it always makes me laugh when you talk to Asha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqxnHl7Q4Rw

TOOT TOOT :mad:

HONK

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The serious amount of background and world-building put into Dishonored is incredible. One of my favourites is when you return to the pub after each mission. If you go into Havelock's room he has a journal he updates after each mission talking about Corvo's performance.

The Heart also deserves a mention. For those who haven't played the game you're given a heart that locates power-ups, it has a secondary function though. It tells you secrets about whoever you point it at including unimportant NPCS populating the game world. Or if you point it at nobody it tells you things about the area you're in. There's quite a lot of lines for each person and area, kudos to the writers.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

EmmyOk posted:

The serious amount of background and world-building put into Dishonored is incredible. One of my favourites is when you return to the pub after each mission. If you go into Havelock's room he has a journal he updates after each mission talking about Corvo's performance.

The Heart also deserves a mention. For those who haven't played the game you're given a heart that locates power-ups, it has a secondary function though. It tells you secrets about whoever you point it at including unimportant NPCS populating the game world. Or if you point it at nobody it tells you things about the area you're in. There's quite a lot of lines for each person and area, kudos to the writers.

Another neat little thing about the heart that I didn't realize until later is that it's actually the heart of the Empress, with a few modifications from the Outsider. (Not really a spoiler in my opinion, but I'm tagging it to be safe)

I think I've mentioned it before, but I also like the little things they throw in with the powers. Like whenever you use Blink, all the sound effects around you become extremely slow because you're suddenly moving so fast. And while I think they kind of over-emphasized the low chaos/high chaos thing, I do like that how you choose to complete missions has aftereffects - like if you choose not to kill someone you might see or hear about them later.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

Another neat little thing about the heart that I didn't realize until later is that it's actually the heart of the Empress, with a few modifications from the Outsider. (Not really a spoiler in my opinion, but I'm tagging it to be safe)

I think I've mentioned it before, but I also like the little things they throw in with the powers. Like whenever you use Blink, all the sound effects around you become extremely slow because you're suddenly moving so fast. And while I think they kind of over-emphasized the low chaos/high chaos thing, I do like that how you choose to complete missions has aftereffects - like if you choose not to kill someone you might see or hear about them later.

There's also some evidence that The Outsider used Piero as a conduit to make the heart. I like that they let you discover this kind of stuff by yourself rather than having someone awkwardly deliver exposition.

The slowing down of audio when you blink is awesome. Some of Slackjaw's minions comment on it if you blink near them too, "Where did he go?" "How did he do that?" etc.

Agreed about chaos. It'd be great if it didn't affect the plot so much. It's good that you get benefits for not killing etc. but no game that tries to have a good and bad ending succeeds. Both endings end up lightweight.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Dishonored world is the best thing about the game. It's grim without being cliched and steampunk without being annoying.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

EmmyOk posted:

Agreed about chaos. It'd be great if it didn't affect the plot so much. It's good that you get benefits for not killing etc. but no game that tries to have a good and bad ending succeeds. Both endings end up lightweight.

The high chaos ending isn't even really that bad all things considered. I think the worst part is when you get to the very last mission and Sam suddenly decides he doesn't like the way you've been killing so many people, so he fires off a shot to alert the guards in the area.

haveblue posted:

The Dishonored world is the best thing about the game. It's grim without being cliched and steampunk without being annoying.

Yeah it's one of the few games I've played where the world just feels genuinely hosed up and on the decline. Like when you go into some random apartment, find a pile of corpses and hey that's normal in this place.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I posted a small rant about Arkham Origins in the Things Dragging This Game Down thread, so I'll give it props here for doing some legit cool things.

After you find out Black Mask's little "secret" and confront him and his merc at the top of the hotel you play through an introspective flashback of the Joker's life as it toys with the Killing Joke backstory. You have a fight at a comedy club, then walk down a linear railroad track dressed as the Red Hood, until you get attacked by a monstrous demonic bat creature. The whole time, the Joker is being interviewed by Harley Quinn as an incoming patient, and his answers match a lot of whats going on in the gameplay. He talks about being a jokester and how cruel the world can be during the comedy club fight, says he felt locked into a bad end with only one way to go during the literal railroad section, and says how fate meant him to find someone who truly understands him when the monster pops up. In a cool twist, you can hear Harley start falling for him as it goes on: he's talking about his fledgling obsession with Batman but the entire time she thinks he's coyly hinting about her.

Seriously, it's worth a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wotHZlBLZ2c

During the story, there will be a point where Batman has some trouble back home. Throughout the game, anytime Batman speaks, in the subtitles his lines will be noted as "Batman: blah, blah". Except for when Alfred's heart stops and Bats starts de-fibbing him with the elctro-guantlets. As he screams Alfred's name, his subtitle changes to "Bruce: Alfred!" It was a cool way to show how much it affected him to think he could lose another family member. For a moment, the mask he has been wearing all night slipped off, and he was just someone who didn't want his friend to die.

One last thing. After the game, in free roam, you'll get a case about a shooting in the same alley his parents died in years ago. As part of the game, you'll set up crime scenes at various points and begin CSI-ing them to find out what happened and track down the perp. But, in this scene as you reconstruct the events, you'll see a flash of two corpses lying off to the side, right where his parents where shot. Theres nothing drawing attention to it, and it's a "blink and you'll miss it" moment, but it was a cool way to show how their deaths still haunt him.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

haveblue posted:

I heard it was done by the guy who did the world of Half-Life 2, which would explain why it's so well done. When you enter Campbell's secret room, there's a display case with a rune and some other miscellaneous objects. I'm pretty sure one of them is a mini HL2 Combine mask.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Canemacar posted:

One last thing. After the game, in free roam, you'll get a case about a shooting in the same alley his parents died in years ago. As part of the game, you'll set up crime scenes at various points and begin CSI-ing them to find out what happened and track down the perp. But, in this scene as you reconstruct the events, you'll see a flash of two corpses lying off to the side, right where his parents where shot. Theres nothing drawing attention to it, and it's a "blink and you'll miss it" moment, but it was a cool way to show how their deaths still haunt him.

This is also one of the very interrogations in the game where Batman absolutely loses his poo poo, to the point where Alfred panics and asks why his vital signs have suddenly spiked.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

EmmyOk posted:

I heard it was done by the guy who did the world of Half-Life 2, which would explain why it's so well done. When you enter Campbell's secret room, there's a display case with a rune and some other miscellaneous objects. I'm pretty sure one of them is a mini HL2 Combine mask.

I don't know if he was involved in the writing, but they share the same art director, and it's really obvious from all the too-tall buildings and the look of the tech and vehicles. It's pretty much the Combine's Victorian era.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

haveblue posted:

I don't know if he was involved in the writing, but they share the same art director, and it's really obvious from all the too-tall buildings and the look of the tech and vehicles. It's pretty much the Combine's Victorian era.

Art Director sounds much more accurate than what I was saying!

Coming back from one of the missions I picked up a ruin at an Outsider shrine. The Outsider appeared and his conversation noted I was returning from the party (rather than on my way) after completing the mission and that I had chosen the nonlethal method. A nice touch especially considering most of the time the dialogue doesn't change regardless of if you kill or non-lethally dispose a target.

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Sep 1, 2014

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

In State of Decay, I like how Marcus will stop a conversation on the radio if you attack/are attacked by a zombie. "Hang on, gotta take care of this..." and then when you're done, he actually acknowledges that he's stopped mid conversation. "You were saying?"

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Getting into Resetti's Surveillance when he accidentally leaves the manhole open late at night and finding out he lives like a sloppy, creepy scumbag, staring at your villagers at all times ... waiting, just WAITING to bitch you out. Any day now ...

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
The best thing about the Surveillance Center is it's an optional thing you have to build in order to get yelled at for resetting. The Dev team found out that Mr. Resetti scares children.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nothing in the canonical Animal Crossing will ever be as great as the LP where the town is a creepy prison and the paranormal stuff starts to drive the main character insane

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think my favorite thing about Xenoblade might be the names of the unique monsters. Gentle Gonzalez, Gormless Rodriguez, Magnanimous Gutierrez and etc. I hope they keep it up for Xenoblade X.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Not to keep mentioning Dishonored but I found a random letter in an abandoned building that contained a scathing rant written by a Percival Cox.

Also looking at Trophies for Ni No Kuni and the one for beating Shadar is "A Tonic for the Djinn , which I thought was quite clever.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

EmmyOk posted:

Not to keep mentioning Dishonored but I found a random letter in an abandoned building that contained a scathing rant written by a Percival Cox.

Also looking at Trophies for Ni No Kuni and the one for beating Shadar is "A Tonic for the Djinn , which I thought was quite clever.

Speaking of trophies, when you complete the trophy list for Noby Noby Boy it forms a nice long picture.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

In X-com the Bureau, the achievement for punching out twenty enemies is called "Welcome to Earth" (Shoulda been Earf, but hey, what can you do)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's one of those "Play it again, Sam" things. Will Smith doesn't pronounce it weird in that scene.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

beato posted:

Speaking of trophies, when you complete the trophy list for Noby Noby Boy it forms a nice long picture.

I really like those. Likewise, the story trophies for Resonance of Fate are one long picture (none of the rest are, disappointingly).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

That's one of those "Play it again, Sam" things. Will Smith doesn't pronounce it weird in that scene.

Why you gotta ruin my fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Why you gotta ruin my fun?

Because your fun is an example of casual racism?