Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
OK, pretty good episode overall, but it stumbles in places. Look, a woman about to be blown up, but we know she'll be fine, because attractive young women are completely indestructible in Dr. Who, unless they're evil.

I guess "flying through clocks" in the new Thing.

Oh look, an ex-soldier with regrets. "Ever kill a man?" "WHAAAAAA!!!"

"Hi, thanks for saving my niece, but I have to kill you. Oh wait, my niece doesn't want me to kill you? OK, let me show you our top-secret thing."

Ewww, we're covered in slime... now we're not.

Most annoyingly, these 'rebels' whole purpose is to kill Daleks, yet they carry weapons barely capable of denting them. Not to mention they can't hit the broad side of a barn at twenty paces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

After The War posted:

The other thing that makes Shearman stand out, and the reason he'd never work as showrunner, is his need to gently caress with the Doctor Who format. Obviously I don't need to say anything about Scherzo, but even things like his choice of companion in Holy Terror or the fake opening of Jubilee leading into the story's total rearrangement of the Doctor Who story structure... it's easy to see why he's only done a few, it must be extremely draining.

That's what I was getting at about "dancing along the edges".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Most annoyingly, these 'rebels' whole purpose is to kill Daleks, yet they carry weapons barely capable of denting them. Not to mention they can't hit the broad side of a barn at twenty paces.

They do actually manage to destroy a Dalek which puts them ahead of the game compared to most human military forces who've faced them.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

Did you listen to Neverland/Zagreus before getting to Scherzo?

Neverland yes, Zagreus no. That came later. Honestly it didn't seem at the time that I had missed anything and just thought the end of Neverland was what sent them into the Divergent Universe.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gynovore posted:

That firefight was hilarious there were like 20 daleks in the room and most of the shots go between them it would be harder to NOT hit one but they manage it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Neverland yes, Zagreus no. That came later. Honestly it didn't seem at the time that I had missed anything and just thought the end of Neverland was what sent them into the Divergent Universe.

I feel like his extreme reaction to her following him in and proclaiming that she loves him is kind of set-up at the end of Zagreus, though. It makes more sense when you hear what led up to it, at least, even if it's not a good or noble reaction for him to have.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I hope you don't do this with all Doctor Who episodes because this is a sure fire way to make yourself really dislike the show.

If that's what you're gunning for though, carry on noble goon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheChad posted:

Probably been asked a million times but could I get a short list of some of the better classic eps? Preferably 5th doctor on (and three) as I've seen some Hartnell, 2 and Baker.

For Three, check out season ten, which was Pertwee's first outing as the Doctor: "Spearhead from Space", "The Silurians", "The Ambassadors of Death" and "Inferno". You might also like "Terror of the Autons" (the first appearance of the Master), "The Three Doctors" (the first multi-Doctor story), "The Green Death" and "The Time Warrior" (the first appearance of Sarah Jane Smith). Few of Pertwee's Dalek stories were especially good, unfortunately, but off the top of my head I'm not sure any of them were irretrievably terrible.

For Five, the best stories are probably "Kinda", "Snakedance", the Black Guardian trilogy ("Mawdryn Undead", "Terminus" and "Enlightenment") and "The Caves of Androzani" (Davison's last story).

You might as well watch "Earthshock" for Five. I think it's probably the single most overrated story of the 1980s, but I suppose it's an important one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TheChad posted:

Probably been asked a million times but could I get a short list of some of the better classic eps? Preferably 5th doctor on (and three) as I've seen some Hartnell, 2 and Baker.

It kind of depends on what type of story you like I guess, but for the Third Doctor I'd actually highly recommend watching his first season (and then Terror of the Autons) as it sets up the new setting for the show and the Doctor's relationship with what would come to be known as The UNIT Family, with Terror being the first appearance of what would be the regularly recurring villain for much of Pertwee's run. Also seconding Metal Loaf's recommendation of The Green Death, it's a superb story, one of my favorite Pertwee's (behind The Daemons, which I also recommend).

For the Fifth Doctor, I'd say to check out the Black Guardian trilogy which is mixed in terms of quality but tells an interesting little sub-story and might be more palatable if you're used to the seasonal structure/over-arching villain thing that the revival has going. Resurrection of the Daleks is a particular favorite of mine, and Caves of Androzani is always everybody's first recommendation, but while it IS the best 5th Doctor story of all, it's also his LAST and thus not a particularly good introduction to his era, so I'd recommend you at least watch some of the others I listed first.

Also watch The Five Doctors too. It's silly and kinda stupid but it's an anniversary multi-Doctor special so it's easy to let those quality issues slide just because it means you can enjoy the (sadly limited) interactions between multiple Doctors. For the same reason, check out The Three Doctors from Pertwee's era for the excellent chemistry between Troughton and Pertwee.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

AndyElusive posted:

I hope you don't do this with all Doctor Who episodes because this is a sure fire way to make yourself really dislike the show.

If that's what you're gunning for though, carry on noble goon.

I love Dr. Who overall, but I'm not so enraptured that I can't see the cracks. Heck, I grew up watching the zero-budget 4 and 5 runs.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gynovore posted:

I love Dr. Who overall, but I'm not so enraptured that I can't see the cracks. Heck, I grew up watching the zero-budget 4 and 5 runs.

Oh I'm not denying your love for the Who. It's just that being nitpicky about this show is like shooting fish in a police box shaped barrel. Granted it should be less so considering its budget and its audience...

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 2, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Granted it should be less so considering its budget and its audience...

To be fair, the show is still getting a comparatively small budget, due to the way the BBC is set up as a Public Service Broadcaster. The huge licensing revenue the show generates doesn't go back to the show itself but is spread out amongst the rest of the BBC's programming - which is a good thing, it means that other shows that aren't proven as commercially viable get a chance to at least get on the air, which is also how the revival got started in the first place (helped immensely by RTD's cachet, of course).

Also the Conversative Party is always waiting in the shadows for the BBC to make a misstep so they can blow the doors up or smash through the walls screaming,"PRIVATIZE! PRIVATIZE!"

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I don't stay up to date with BBC Radio iPlayer at all, but apparently the first two episodes of Big Finish's Eighth Doctor Adventures series 4 are available to listen to. I imagine they're broadcasting the series maybe?

That's Death in Blackpool and Situation Vacant. They're quite good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/search/schedule/?q=doctor%20who

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They are broadcasting series 4 of the EDAs, yes. Apparently Death In Blackpool went out yesterday, and Situation Vacant is on next Sunday. Pretty likely they'll go at least through To The Death. Maybe into Dark Eyes 1, though that's new enough and wasn't made with the intent of radio airing, so I don't know how BF would feel about it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
So I've been digging through the archives to find the reaction to the announcement that Matt Smith was cast as the Doctor (the reactions to which are hilariously over the top-if anyone lacks archives I'd be happy to post some of it here, it's quite funny), and I found this one line that was hilariously prescient:

New Found Power posted:

He's got the patchiest eyebrows I've ever seen, and the rest of his face makes me hope that the series involves a historical adventure where his horrifying visage inspires the building of the Easter Island statues.

Another good one:

keep punching joe posted:

I really want Peter Capaldi to play the doctor, maybe next time.

This is endlessly entertaining:

doctor zero posted:

At least he's not ginger.

TL fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 2, 2014

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Actually, I am rather disappointed that that didn't happen.

Edit: Or wait, I guess that was a joke? Was that in one of those mini-episodes?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Theglavwen posted:

Actually, I am rather disappointed that that didn't happen.

Edit: Or wait, I guess that was a joke? Was that in one of those mini-episodes?

I think River referenced it in the Angels two parter.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The really neat thing was that in the build-up to naming Smith's successor, it came out that the unofficial frontrunner was Peter Capaldi and pretty much every single person's reaction was,"....oh? Well.... I have no complaints about that...."

The almost universal stunned reaction of Who fans (in this thread at least) not having anything to complain about was beautiful. :allears:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wonder just how they recruited all the Doctors for the big one. Did they just visit the First and then set a reminder in the TARDIS at later points?

Is it weird I'm curious where the various Doctors were in their timelines?

I was actually surprised that they didn't include a brief shot of the First Doctor receiving instructions. They had built a replica of the original console room, they had the role of the First Doctor cast and had the costume. At the "you might say I've been working on it all my life..." line it would have been a perfect moment to just have a brief shot from behind of the First Doctor picking up a blue envelope addressed to him off his console.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Thanks for the recommendations!

I guess I have to subscribe to hulu plus now. :D

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I'm listening to Death in Blackpool and I had no idea Janet from Two Pints was one of the Eighth Doctor's companions. This is a big plus for me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TheChad posted:

Thanks for the recommendations!

I guess I have to subscribe to hulu plus now. :D

I don't know what (if any) version of Spearhead from Space is on hulu, but it is the ONLY classic story that is available in HD and it's well worth watching in that format if you can.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know what (if any) version of Spearhead from Space is on hulu, but it is the ONLY classic story that is available in HD and it's well worth watching in that format if you can.

How did that wonderful thing happen?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

How did that wonderful thing happen?

Industrial action at the time meant that they had to film the entire thing on film, whereas standard practice at the time was to film interiors on video and exteriors on film. That meant they were later able to release a high definition version on Blu-Ray.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Industrial action at the time meant that they had to film the entire thing on film, whereas standard practice at the time was to film interiors on video and exteriors on film. That meant they were later able to release a high definition version on Blu-Ray.

I was really hoping your link was to anything other than that video so that I could post it myself.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Meanwhile my ThirdDoctorAthon slooooooowly creeps onwards ever more and I've gotten (back) to the Three Doctors.

I adore the interactions between Three and Two. I really do. I wish we could just have had an entire season of them dicking around.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Having now gotten to see the first two episodes, I definitely think this one was stronger than the premier (which has been pointed out quite enough)...and even this one was probably only so-so.

But gently caress all of that because Capaldi is loving awesome so I don't even care. He's just nailing the poo poo out of everything. Smith has been my favorite of the revival Doctors to this point (even though the material often under-served him) but if Capaldi keeps this up he's going right to the top.

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

TL posted:

So I've been digging through the archives to find the reaction to the announcement that Matt Smith was cast as the Doctor

While you are digging around, I remember someone posting an essay summarizing each Doctor per paragraph and it would be nice to see if it's still around. That post really made me get into following Who full time instead of occasionally catching a few episodes here and there on Sci-fi.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Burkion posted:

Meanwhile my ThirdDoctorAthon slooooooowly creeps onwards ever more and I've gotten (back) to the Three Doctors.

I adore the interactions between Three and Two. I really do. I wish we could just have had an entire season of them dicking around.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

nexas posted:

While you are digging around, I remember someone posting an essay summarizing each Doctor per paragraph and it would be nice to see if it's still around. That post really made me get into following Who full time instead of occasionally catching a few episodes here and there on Sci-fi.

I'll do some checking around. Is there a date range you can think of that it might be found in?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

A Dandy and a Clown :allears:

nexas
Sep 4, 2009

nope

TL posted:

I'll do some checking around. Is there a date range you can think of that it might be found in?

I think it was sometime around the end of Smiths first season. So maybe late 2010.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, I finally saw it.

The premise of the whole thing was a bit silly, and I think they're still getting used to how to write Capaldi, but it was okay, as far as Dalek episodes go. My major complaint with it, more than anything, is that it seemed to want me to care a lot more about the side characters than I could, with them getting so little screen time. It'll be interesting to see where they go with Danny Pink and with the Doctor sort of rediscovering his identity. The Missy stuff felt really shoehorned in and weird.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite reaction of ANYONE to the TARDIS being bigger on the inside/smaller on the outside is the Brig's.

He is just so unbelievably pissed off that the Doctor would waste funds and equipment some how doing this. The Brigadier is impossible to surprise or shock-he meets the impossible with an angered brow and a raised fist. This is why he is, and always will be, The Best Companion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Which reminds me, in The Three Doctors when Troughton shows up, the Brig gives this exasperated,"I knew that other guy wasn't REALLY the Doctor, he's been lying this whole time" reaction :laugh:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Burkion posted:

My favorite reaction of ANYONE to the TARDIS being bigger on the inside/smaller on the outside is the Brig's.

He is just so unbelievably pissed off that the Doctor would waste funds and equipment some how doing this. The Brigadier is impossible to surprise or shock-he meets the impossible with an angered brow and a raised fist. This is why he is, and always will be, The Best Companion.

My dad brought up the Brigadier as an exception to the Doctor not liking soldiers, but I wasn't entirely sure the Brigadier properly counted as a companion so much as just a big secondary character. I haven't seen the classic series, though, so I wasn't sure.

Speaking of, I've been thinking of getting my dad some Big Finish audios for Christmas (it would be for Father's Day, but I probably wouldn't be able to get them shipped to Australia before then), since he likes the classic series and that sort of thing seems right up his alley. He's said that Tom Baker is his favorite Doctor, are any of his stories especially good introductions to the idea and format? I could alternatively go with a 'sample platter' of good entry-level stories from each Doctor, and I remember someone suggesting examples of those a while back. Would anyone have any input on those?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Metal Loaf posted:

You might also like "Terror of the Autons" (the first appearance of the Master),

I thought every classic Doctor met the Master?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This picture is now my favorite serial.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cleretic posted:

My dad brought up the Brigadier as an exception to the Doctor not liking soldiers, but I wasn't entirely sure the Brigadier properly counted as a companion so much as just a big secondary character. I haven't seen the classic series, though, so I wasn't sure.

He also spends a great deal of his time shaking his head and saying "Typical of the military mind!" and disapproving of virtually any military thing that the Brig does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

Big Finish I'll leave to the others, but the Brig most certainly BETTER be a Companion.

He met just about every Classic Doctor there was, and in my heart has met the rest.

The Doctor has, on more than one occasion, gone out of his way to go and visit him, even if 11's attempt wasn't that...successful.

Name one other person the Doctor goes out of his way to go visit after having had a ton of adventures with them. Not accidentally bumps into or the other person tracks him down-actively seeks out.

It helps that the Brig is, in some ways, the most human character of them all.

• Locked thread