Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

quote:

Nobody remembers how or why. Maybe nobody ever knew. The oldest living survivors have childhood memories of it: cities burning, society in chaos then collapse, families set to panicked flight, the weird nights when the smoldering sky made midnight into a blood-colored half-day. Now the world is not what it was. Look around you: evidently, certainly, not what it was. But also close your eyes, open your brain: something is wrong. At the limits of perception, something howling, everpresent, full of hate and terror. From this, the world’s psychic maelstrom, we none of us have shelter.

quote:

...the characters are together against a horrific world. They’re carving out their little space of hope and freedom in the filth and violence, and they’re trying to hold onto it. Do they have it in them? What are they going to have to do to hold it together? Are they prepared, tough enough, strong enough and willing? They’re together, sure, but they’re desperate and they’re under a lot of pressure. If there’s not enough to go around (and is there ever?), who’ll stick together and who’ll turn on whom? Who do you trust, and who should you trust, and what if you get it wrong?

This World of ours, it loving sucks. But it's what we've got. And something is loving brewing. There's 11 strong personalities, 11 loving hot people, 11 crazy fuckers that will impose their will on this little town of ours. It's not a town. It's the World. And there are some of us, some of the 11 that care about the whole World thing, and are trying to make a little corner of this blasted hellscape something worth living in. And there are a few, the chaos-bent, the destroyers, the Apocalypse Pact - that are trying to tear down everything. The world is poo poo, and so are all of us. But can we find the truly Apocalyptic among us?

Welcome to Apocalypse World Mafia, a game for 11 players. All 11 of the core playbooks (Angel, Battlebabe, Brainer, Chopper, Driver, Gunlugger, Hardholder, Hocus, Operator, Savvyhead, Skinner) are in use, each with their own Moves and abilities. Two of the playbooks have fixed alignments, the remaining alignment choices were assigned randomly. It is likely that this game is not finely balanced, so please do not sign up if that is an issue! There is a Night 0 in this game, if you can act during Night 0 you will be told in your Playbook PM. On Night 0 and Night 0 only, you may talk in the thread, otherwise please do not talk after the hammer. Otherwise, Standard Mafia Rules apply.

1. CapitalistPig
  2. fiery_valkyrie
  3. Grandicap
  4. Hal Incandenza
  5. Jedit
  6. Juanito
  7. Meinberg
  8. MildManeredManikin
  9. Mr. Maltose
  10. Somberbrero
  11. Winson_Paine

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Flavor looks awesome, I'm in!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Is this a mafia lite?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Grrr, arrr. Grrr. I am down.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Oh man, oh man, oh man. Uh... I call... Savvyhead! Or maybe Hocus. Or Brainer. Any of those three would really work.

Have I mentioned that I'm working on my very own PbtA game? Apocalypse World is so cool.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MildManeredManikin posted:

Is this a mafia lite?

It is still a Mafia game, you will still lynch people, there will still be nightkills, etc.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I have no idea what this is. I'm in.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I've been meaning to get into Apocalypse World for a while now. Looks dope, Foo!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Captain Foo with Apoc World? Sign me up!

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

:coolfish:
Is this newbie friendly?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Carpet Shark posted:

Is this newbie friendly?

Not really, but you're welcome to jump in if you want to anyway!

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Do want.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I have no games. Sign me up.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Yar, I will play in this.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I would like to play or replace in if I am too late!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

One more! Carpetshark or Triple M?

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

:coolfish:

Captain Foo posted:

One more! Carpetshark or Triple M?

I'm going to sit and watch this one, thanks!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'll do it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Excellent. Final game setup taking place now.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

All PMs away.

It is now Night 0. Night 0 will last up to 24 hours.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Confirming!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Confirmed

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Somber, what is the best board game? I will use your answer to determine your alignment.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Confirming.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MildManeredManikin posted:

Somber, what is the best board game? I will use your answer to determine your alignment.

Probably something by Vladda Chvatil, like Galaxy Trucker! Battlestar Galactica is my favorite board game to play every few months.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Im in this game

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

Probably something by Vladda Chvatil, like Galaxy Trucker! Battlestar Galactica is my favorite board game to play every few months.

I hear he's good. Did he make Mage knight? Nobody seems to ever stop talking about that game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mage Knight is not a good game, it's crushed under the weight. The best boardgame is Camel Up, because it plays in 20 minutes with 2-8 players and it's loving hilarious.

Confirming, by the way.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Chvatil is also the dude who made Space Alert, which according to the Board Games thread is the greatest thing in boardgames since they invented cardboard. So he's got that going for him.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Man I don't know who to believe aside from somebody who isn't jedit because he has bad opinions.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Don't listen to me. Rum Rebellion was my favourite board game as a kid.

Yes in Australia kids play board games where they collect alcohol as a means to win. What of it?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Confirmed.

The board game world has become a strange and mysterious place. I don't have a group, so I haven't had much of a chance to play new games. Dominion is really good, but it stretches the definition of a board game. It's kind of like a LCG with board game mechanics, maybe?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Confirmed.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I really like deckbuilders. Dominion is pretty much the best, but I have a friend who isn't really on board with it for some reason so we end up playing a lot of Thunderstone and Marvel: Legendary instead.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Chvatil is also the dude who made Space Alert, which according to the Board Games thread is the greatest thing in boardgames since they invented cardboard. So he's got that going for him.

Reiner Knizia designed Tigris and Euphrates, which according to BGG is a great game, but he gets routinely panned by the same people for almost everything else he makes. Everyone can have a good day.

Me, I don't like games with excessive weight so I don't like Mage Knight. I prefer games with rules that are more streamlined and readily learned. Like this:

##vote MMM

Wants to distract us from the real meat of the game with a bunch of overcomplications? Scum for sure.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
I haven't even heard of any of these games.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I seriously only know about Space Alert because I misclicked on the boardgame thread and it had it's own section of the OP with exclamation points and everything. Boardgaming is my trad games blind spot.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jedit posted:

Reiner Knizia designed Tigris and Euphrates, which according to BGG is a great game, but he gets routinely panned by the same people for almost everything else he makes. Everyone can have a good day.

Me, I don't like games with excessive weight so I don't like Mage Knight. I prefer games with rules that are more streamlined and readily learned. Like this:

##vote MMM

Wants to distract us from the real meat of the game with a bunch of overcomplications? Scum for sure.

You can't vote at Night!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

You can't vote at Night!

Oh, yeah, I forgot there was a Night 0. Don't normally play that way.

(I'll have to do it in the morning...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Juanito posted:

I haven't even heard of any of these games.

I haven't even heard of you!

Dominion was fun for a couple years but I burnt myself out on it. I feel like a dick bringing it out when not everyone has played deckbuilders before too. Arctic Scavengers is fun if you can find a copy, it's another deckbuilder but with an element of actual player interaction.

I finally got my friends to play Fiasco after years of owning it and it is so, so much fun. There's not much game to it, but honestly I've found that my group has way more fun with indie nonsense games like The Quiet Year than anything more serious.

• Locked thread