Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I bought Age of Empires® III: Complete Collection about a month ago and now I swear I'm not crazy anymore. All the units have a set speed they can run but whenever you mix and match them together into a diverse army everyone just trundles around suuuuuper sluggishly. I'd rather have a way to change if some of them run ahead or they all stick together at the same speed.

That's because they are going at the same speed as the slowest unit in that group so bringing a cannon with a bunch of Hussars are going make them super slow. Put them with the same units and they will move a lot faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'd really like to give King's Field: the Ancient City another try but the control scheme is just atrocious. It's like it was put together by someone who had never actually seen a videogame before but really wanted to push all the buttons on the controller.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Gone Home is a game I had sequence-break to finish so I could add it to the finished-favourites tab in Steam. The reason being is that it's so badly optimised you'd need a Crysis 3 computer worthy enough to play a game where you explore a single, empty house.

The entirety of LIMBO once you leave the woods. When you hit the city you leave behind the lost boys and giant spiders and instead face up with timed-jumps over buzz-saws and goddamn block-puzzles. Also, at no point do they ever mention that the premise is about a boy looking for his sister. I had no real connection with events and I couldn't give a drat about the ending. Just because a story is monochrome and minimalist, it doesn't mean it can substitute emotional groundwork with stylish ambience.

Braid may have been up its own rear end with its story, but it was completely separate from its fun design.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Aug 29, 2014

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Gone Home is a game I had sequence-break to finish so I could add it to the finished-favourites tab in Steam. The reason being is that it's so badly optimised you'd need a Crysis 3 computer worthy enough to play a game where you explore a single, empty house.

The entirety of LIMBO once you leave the woods. When you hit the city you leave behind the lost boys and giant spiders and instead face up with timed-jumps over buzz-saws and goddamn block-puzzles. Also, at no point do they ever mention that the premise is about a boy looking for his sister. I had no real connection with events and I couldn't give a drat about the ending. Just because a story is monochrome and minimalist, it doesn't mean it can substitute emotional groundwork with stylish ambience.

Braid may have been up its own rear end with its story, but it was completely separate from its fun design.

I was wondering why Gone Home stuttered so much on my laptop when it was such a simple game!

Totally agree about Limbo as well, the spider chase was definitely the peak and could have been moved to later.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This must be something to do with specific hardware, I think, because it ran perfectly fine on my laptop.

I enjoyed all of LIMBO (although I do agree that it gets a bit frustrating towards the end), but Braid was loving awful. It's a load of pretentious wank and not even fun to play.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Some of Braid's puzzle rooms break my brain so I just head for the exit door.

Some were speaking of Shadowrun Returns: Dead Man's Switch earlier and I agree that the final mission is pure garbage. You need a special weapon to defeat certain enemies? Here, have two, even though you can have a four person party. And who can wield it? You and an added NPC with lovely stats who usually uses a sword - hmmm, I wonder how good they are with a ranged weapon... Throw in the two stage process (the second having a timer otherwise they respawn) and it's just a recipe in frustration.

Dragonfall was a lot better.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

This is weird, because I had no trouble playing it on an XP machine from like six years ago.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Planetside 2: Infiltrators get a sensor that you place on the ground. For whatever reason :soe: in their infinite wisdom decided that after you throw one down, in the time it takes to drop it and reequip your weapon your character moves at like 25% speed. It is really annoying at best and at worst those 2 seconds of me almost running in place allows an enemy to get to me and kill me.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Been replaying Uncharted 3 and while everything up to it is pretty great, the ship graveyard section is such a loving drag. It's the point where you really start to fatigue out on the combat in the game, especially with how it starts punishing you for using melee.

Plus, the miniboss battle with the armored suit and the RPGs in the storm is just tedious because if you make a small mistake with kiting the enemies around, too bad, 1-hit killed.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
In CS:GO trying to check your settings, stats, or anything else while you're in a queue will make you leave the queue.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Brain In A Jar posted:

Plus, the miniboss battle with the armored suit and the RPGs in the storm is just tedious because if you make a small mistake with kiting the enemies around, too bad, 1-hit killed.
That part was insane. You could only see the enemies if they were firing something off and they were everywhere. It probably took me over 20 tries to get past that on easy.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Celery Face posted:

That part was insane. You could only see the enemies if they were firing something off and they were everywhere. It probably took me over 20 tries to get past that on easy.

Oh god the combat in the first Uncharted. I just bought a PS3 off a friend and they threw in Uncharted 1-3. Around Chapter 6 of the first one, I just got tired of having two minutes of puzzle/exploration followed by ten minutes of combat that consists of fighting your way to one side of an "arena" and then back again. After a misstep in the subsequent exploration section pushed me back to redoing the combat, I decided I was no longer engaged in anything I would call "fun" and quit.

That's not even counting the huge loving bugs involved in getting down certain ladders/ropes, where Drake will quite happily hang onto the ledge to the side or in front of the climbing apparatus, but will never attempt to actually mount the ladder/grab the rope. I was convinced I was doing the descent from the tower in Chapter 6 wrong because no matter what I did, Nate would not grab the loving rope.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Oh god the combat in the first Uncharted. I just bought a PS3 off a friend and they threw in Uncharted 1-3. Around Chapter 6 of the first one, I just got tired of having two minutes of puzzle/exploration followed by ten minutes of combat that consists of fighting your way to one side of an "arena" and then back again. After a misstep in the subsequent exploration section pushed me back to redoing the combat, I decided I was no longer engaged in anything I would call "fun" and quit.

That's not even counting the huge loving bugs involved in getting down certain ladders/ropes, where Drake will quite happily hang onto the ledge to the side or in front of the climbing apparatus, but will never attempt to actually mount the ladder/grab the rope. I was convinced I was doing the descent from the tower in Chapter 6 wrong because no matter what I did, Nate would not grab the loving rope.

I felt the exact same! Absolutely hated the combat gameplay in Uncharted 1. Was really reluctant to play 2 but decided to try it anyways and ended up loving it. They get rid of that 'killbox' gameplay.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

:byodood:gently caress you

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Alhazred posted:

Have you only gotten to that point? Because it can get so so much worse than one bloater. :getin:

Also this is a time when "kill it with fire" really applies - molotovs and lots of them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Alhazred posted:

The first time I played a small bit of TLoU I found the bloater quite tough, but the second time when I played through the game I found him easy enough. Just run to the other end of the room and molotov him, rinse and repeat.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Have you only gotten to that point? Because it can get so so much worse than one bloater. :getin:

I've gotten to the hotel in Pittsburgh.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Been doing another playthrough of Arkham Origins and it's a perfect candidate for this thread. There's a really good game in there somewhere, but there's just so much wrong that it becomes a struggle to play. Warner Brothers Montreal were handed an awesome formula from Rocksteady, and almost every part they tried to "fix" stands out from the parts that actually work.

But by far the biggest issue was the combat. If you don't know, Rocksteady apparently made a pact with some dark god, selling the souls of their interns in exchange for one of the most fluid combat systems I've ever seen in a game. It manages to be fast-paced and exciting like any good super-hero fight, but the whole time you're *biff*ing and *pow*ing bad guys, the game teaches you to plan out your next couple moves based on enemy placement, enemy type, what gadgets you've got, what level your combo meter is, and what mixture of moves will give you the highest score. In that way it makes you really feel like Batman. You're kicking all kinds of rear end, but you've also planned everything out and you're thinking rings around everyone you fight.

I don't know why WB Montreal didn't just ctrl+c, ctrl+v the code from Arkham City. I guess they thought they could do it one better. They were wrong. The main issue is that they buffed enemy aggression and speed while slowing Batman's attack speed and removing the ability to cancel into a counter while also decreasing the window of time to actually pull off a counter. The idea was to make button mashing more punishing and force you to pace yourself better. In practice, it amounts to just mashing counter or evade after every attack, because by the time Batman has finished punching one guy, two more have run up and are in mid-swing. It kills any momentum fights have and limits your ability to plan too far since you're always on the defensive. Also, one of the new gadgets, a concussion grenade, actively impairs you whenever you use it. It causes everyone in the blast radius to start swinging wildly which fucks you over when you get randomly punched in the back of the head mid-combo.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Yeah I could see why you're annoyed then. But really fire is your friend because it not only damages them but makes them more vulnerable to normal weapons by burning up their mushroom armor.

Obviously avoiding them altogether is probably the best strategy if you can, which supposedly is theoretically possible with the Pittsburgh bloater.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 17:47 on Sep 1, 2014

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Canemacar posted:

Been doing another playthrough of Arkham Origins and it's a perfect candidate for this thread. There's a really good game in there somewhere, but there's just so much wrong that it becomes a struggle to play. Warner Brothers Montreal were handed an awesome formula from Rocksteady, and almost every part they tried to "fix" stands out from the parts that actually work.

But by far the biggest issue was the combat. If you don't know, Rocksteady apparently made a pact with some dark god, selling the souls of their interns in exchange for one of the most fluid combat systems I've ever seen in a game. It manages to be fast-paced and exciting like any good super-hero fight, but the whole time you're *biff*ing and *pow*ing bad guys, the game teaches you to plan out your next couple moves based on enemy placement, enemy type, what gadgets you've got, what level your combo meter is, and what mixture of moves will give you the highest score. In that way it makes you really feel like Batman. You're kicking all kinds of rear end, but you've also planned everything out and you're thinking rings around everyone you fight.

I don't know why WB Montreal didn't just ctrl+c, ctrl+v the code from Arkham City. I guess they thought they could do it one better. They were wrong. The main issue is that they buffed enemy aggression and speed while slowing Batman's attack speed and removing the ability to cancel into a counter while also decreasing the window of time to actually pull off a counter. The idea was to make button mashing more punishing and force you to pace yourself better. In practice, it amounts to just mashing counter or evade after every attack, because by the time Batman has finished punching one guy, two more have run up and are in mid-swing. It kills any momentum fights have and limits your ability to plan too far since you're always on the defensive. Also, one of the new gadgets, a concussion grenade, actively impairs you whenever you use it. It causes everyone in the blast radius to start swinging wildly which fucks you over when you get randomly punched in the back of the head mid-combo.

most of this is a non-issue if you are using your gadgets properly. Explosive gel and concussion grenades will debilitate large numbers of goon, allowing you to focus on a handful at a time while constantly moving to a better position to engage.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Alhazred posted:

Thats about where I am in the last of us, and I've quit this loving game. The story is okay, the graphics are very pretty, voice acting is good but I hate literally every gameplay mechanic, and I've given it more than enough time to get good. Someone in the playstation thread said something like "Its not a fun game as such", which is true. What I think they meant is "Its like watching the road, its more an experience than a fun time". What they SHOULD have said is "Its not a fun game as much as it is a tedious chore which is so anti-fun that it'll make you retroactively hate other games simply for being near it".

I realise that its me, I'm one of the minority who just dont click with it, it won eleventy billion awards and so on but I hate this game so much that I cant shake the feeling that everyone else is pretending to like it as a joke, like this is the playstations Bad Rats or something. The combat is dogshit, which wouldnt be a problem if the stealth was fun, but its really not. It feels like there is one perfect route through any area, and if you gently caress it up you might as well hit load last checkpoint, which reduces the stealth to trial and error. The zombies arent too bad, but fighting the human enemies is some tedious bullshit, and the bloater fight in the gym was ridiculously lovely and used literally all the ammo I was carrying. So when more zombies spawned I literally ran around in circles until I could seperate one out the pack to melee. That was about the most fun I've had with this game because it was so ludicrously against the atmosphere of the game that I couldnt help laughing as joel started doing laps of the high school gym. Oh, exploring the abandoned town was kind of fun (although there are precious few enemies at that point).

The game is also piss poor at letting you know which way to go. I figure they want to minimise on screen stuff to help immersion or some poo poo, but in real life, if someone shouts "Look Sikboy, those stairs!" I'll turn to look at them and see where they are pointing, or follow them as they move towards the stairs in question. In tLoA Ellie shouts "Look, the stairs", and then follows you as you wander in circles wondering what the gently caress she was burbling about because the camera wasnt pointed at the stairs when she hit the trigger to say "Look Joel, those stairs!". Something similar to this has happened at 2 or 3 different points in the game and that takes me more out of the game than an on screen indicator "she means these stairs". As an minor point its also annoying because I am an inveterate pack rat in games, so I also want to know which door leads to the next area so I can make sure I've searched all the other branches for loot before I cant return.

Seriously, I hate the last of us so much that I probably wont bother playing a new uncharted game simply because its by the same people. I've played some crappy games, but I cant think of the last game that I loathed as much as this one. Someone suggested someone else who wasnt keen on the game "put the difficulty down and burn through it", but I dont hate it because its hard, I hate it because its dreadful, making it easier wont help.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

It doesn't outright give you quest markers or anything, but the game does give you a glaring "LOOK AT THIS SHINY THING GO HERE" reminder periodically and yellow Uncharted-esque markers on things you can/should climb. I thought they did a decent job of getting you to your goal while not outright leading you to it by the hand. Pittsburgh is just a horrible place.

But then I'm big on exploration games, so I'm kind of used to just exploring everywhere until I find my way in the process.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

So I just picked up State of Decay, and while I'm really enjoying it, the AI is so loving dumb that it's really throwing me off. My allies just cannot figure out basic pathing. At all. It's like, dude you just watched how I climbed up this thing, get up here. But instead they run back and forth like idiots.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Bonnie the rabbit in Five Nights At Freddy's. I get that the fact that Bonnie and Chica move randomly adds to the challenge and the creepiness, but I wish they actually had to follow along paths instead of just teleporting across the building. Since Chica isn't as aggressive, it's not as much of a problem with her, but there's been multiple occasions when Bonnie has teleported from the far side of the building into the security office, and it's pretty frustrating.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Bonnie the rabbit in Five Nights At Freddy's. I get that the fact that Bonnie and Chica move randomly adds to the challenge and the creepiness, but I wish they actually had to follow along paths instead of just teleporting across the building. Since Chica isn't as aggressive, it's not as much of a problem with her, but there's been multiple occasions when Bonnie has teleported from the far side of the building into the security office, and it's pretty frustrating.

The wolf annoys me far more. I just hate that wolf.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sociopastry posted:

So I just picked up State of Decay, and while I'm really enjoying it, the AI is so loving dumb that it's really throwing me off. My allies just cannot figure out basic pathing. At all. It's like, dude you just watched how I climbed up this thing, get up here. But instead they run back and forth like idiots.

I don't know if they've changed it, but when Lifeline came out they made survivors so fragile that often they'd drop as soon as a zombie came near them, which honestly turns them into a serious liability.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I have played a lot of video games based in World War II, and one of the most recurring elements I've seen in them is the inability to reload an M-1 Garand mid clip.

I have no idea why this concept had caught on (guess I should blame the original Call of Duty) as ejecting a half shot clip from an M-1 is incredibly easy.

It's also annoying in a game play sense too, because I have to take the time to empty the last three bullets from my clip into the wall/my allies/a tank before I can go into another fight.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

How did the combat in InFamous Second Son get to be such a slog? I liked 1 and 2 but this is awful, I'm never having fun while playing this game. It feels like the developers decided to punish every play style they could think of, and don't get me started on the heavy enemies that literally cannot be killed at a distance despite your melee doing gently caress all when surrounded.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Lotish posted:

I don't know if they've changed it, but when Lifeline came out they made survivors so fragile that often they'd drop as soon as a zombie came near them, which honestly turns them into a serious liability.

Playing Vanilla, thank god. At least my survivors can take a little bit of a beating.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Mokinokaro posted:

The wolf annoys me far more. I just hate that wolf.

At least you can keep Foxy at bay by regularly checking the camera on Pirate's Cove, and can see him running down the halls if he's out. With Bonnie it's just like, the cameras black out and you look around to see where she went, then you hear the groan and she's already in the office and going to kill you the second you close the camera feed.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

moosecow333 posted:

I have played a lot of video games based in World War II, and one of the most recurring elements I've seen in them is the inability to reload an M-1 Garand mid clip.

I have no idea why this concept had caught on (guess I should blame the original Call of Duty) as ejecting a half shot clip from an M-1 is incredibly easy.

It's also annoying in a game play sense too, because I have to take the time to empty the last three bullets from my clip into the wall/my allies/a tank before I can go into another fight.

IMO, it's historical accuracy that has become a standard to provide a difference in primary weapons for the factions. Do you remember the first time you played a CoD game in multiplayer and listened for that tell tale *ping* of a M1 clip being finished (before you realized that was useless and you were playing a vidya game)?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The 'epilogue' of Prof Layton vs. Ace Attorney. I recognize that these types of games always rely on ridiculous plot twists, but they hyperextended into silly and dumb range and the entire ending is a never-ending stream of unbelievable deus ex machinas as they try to wrap up a story that clearly got away from them.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I recently obtained a PS2 and several games for it for free. Since I never had one I was pretty pumped to play a few classics I missed.

I started Okami and so far it feels like the wolf sections of Twilight Princess done right. But holy poo poo, gently caress your little brush guide character. For all the hate Navi gets in OoT the Okami guy is way worse. He has a toneless version of Midna's voice and he interrupts you more than Navi ever did. He'd be worse than Fi if he didn't have what slightly charming personality he does have

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

No Such Thing posted:

The 'epilogue' of Prof Layton vs. Ace Attorney. I recognize that these types of games always rely on ridiculous plot twists, but they hyperextended into silly and dumb range and the entire ending is a never-ending stream of unbelievable deus ex machinas as they try to wrap up a story that clearly got away from them.

I got annoyed when they started the "epilogue" halfway through the last trial.

But yeah the ending is super terrible, and mostly it's because they dump all of the plot twists on you at pretty much the same time rather than slowly feeding it to you. Because at least then you could see it coming. No, magic isn't real, that's silly. What isn't silly is that Labyrinthia is a government-funded project by a mega-corporation to study mind control and advanced medicines and mass hypnosis, and that the hypnotized people can't see the color black, and everyone falls unconscious when they hear pure silver chiming, and that nobody ever just walked into the giant loving invisible machines everywhere or the belltower in the middle of the goddamned town square.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

That's actually Bonnie's schtick, when that happens it means you weren't keeping an eye on Bonnie close enough and now Bonnie teleports to one of their assigned rooms. If that happens and the cameras go black, you're supposed to tab out and check the lights in that door.

Of course, that means Freddie can't be watched, so you have to play Bonnie by ear while Freddie is your main concern. Night five sucks poo poo.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

death .cab for qt posted:

That's actually Bonnie's schtick, when that happens it means you weren't keeping an eye on Bonnie close enough and now Bonnie teleports to one of their assigned rooms. If that happens and the cameras go black, you're supposed to tab out and check the lights in that door.

Of course, that means Freddie can't be watched, so you have to play Bonnie by ear while Freddie is your main concern. Night five sucks poo poo.

I'm aware that it's Bonnie's schtick, it's just that I find her schtick particularly frustrating. I think her ability to literally teleport across the building is annoying. Chica does the same thing, but the fact that she's not as aggressive about it makes her much less frustrating. I appreciate the random movement, it's just that I feel Bonnie's aggressiveness ramps up way too quickly.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Eternal Sonata is a fun game but hoo boy, if there's one thing I can't stand in games, it's not having any checkpoints. It's such bullshit to have to start over from where you last saved just because you got ambushed or whatever (and save points are rather far apart in Eternal Sonata).

Eternal Sonata is also the only game I skip the cutscenes for because it has some of the preachiest, dumbest dialog I've ever heard. The characters have really annoying voices too.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

More Second Son hate, I am routinely surprised at how closed ended this open world game is. I am now stuck on a boss where the only valid approach is to take potshots from afar, dash, repeat. Every other technique in my arsenal has a direct counter. "Oh, you wanted to try a heavy attack? The boss is too fast. You wanted to try melee? The boss deals damage whenever you get near. It's immune to being stunned and there's no way to build a karmic streak so those are out too. Guess you'll just have to do things our way. :smug:"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Planetside 2: Spawn camping is a big problem in the game. Now to try and help with it SOE added secondary spawn rooms that the defenders can access through the teleporters. So it gives defenders a second spot to jump out of and requires the attackers to cover more ground

Sometimes though they have the secondary spawn room... like 5 feet from the primary one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Leal posted:

Planetside 2: Spawn camping is a big problem in the game. Now to try and help with it SOE added secondary spawn rooms that the defenders can access through the teleporters. So it gives defenders a second spot to jump out of and requires the attackers to cover more ground

Sometimes though they have the secondary spawn room... like 5 feet from the primary one.

I think the idea is that both rooms can cover each other and prevent them both from being surrounded. Except it doesn't work at all when both rooms are being shelled by tanks and aircraft 100~ meters away.