Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

theblackw0lf posted:

So I'm up to the 32nd episode and really enjoying it so far, there's one thing that's kind of bugging me though.

Episode 26 spoilers

After Kircheis gets killed, Annerose tells Reinhard that she's leaving his place and will be living away from him. To me it just rang false that at a time she had to have known he would need her more than ever, both so he wouldn't be alone and as a moral guidance, that she'd split. I understand that the combination of grief and the distancing she was already feeling from Reinhard led to that. But that just seems a pretty rash decision not consistent with her character as I've come to know her.

I'm not how much this will help, but...

Basically, Annerose wants nothing to do with Reinhard right now due to his actions. She went to be with the Kaiser (Albeit not consensually, but she really didn't fight it either) to spare Reinhard of a worse fate. However, Reinhard refuses to accept this and does basically everything he can to save her. Where the problem comes in is when Reinhard is more than willing to sacrifice millions of lives, including the lives of civilians (yeah, part of Westerland was Oberstein, but still, Annerose doesn't know that), to gain the power to save her. How would you feel if someone close to you started killing people enmasse to save you after you had tried to resolve things quietly and non-violently? It's not really a surprise then that she would isolate herself until, at the very least, Reinhard has gotten the bloodlust out of his system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Just saw episode 82

gently caress

CrackedWindow
May 25, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

The fake history channel episode is one of my favorites. The talking heads, the editing, the ostentatious bookcases and decor in the background when the various "experts" talk, all of it screams WWII History Week.

Is there a list of such episodes? Planning on rewatching them.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

CrackedWindow posted:

Is there a list of such episodes? Planning on rewatching them.

A YouTube search/an episode list on (SPOILERS EVEN IN THE EPISODE NAMES, DON'T CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THROUGH THE SHOW ALREADY) Wikipedia should get you started.
I have unironically watched the Earth history ones three times back to back so far. The similarity to modern conflicts and European colonies back in the day is striking. It's crazy that the original works are a old as they are.

I like how those episodes feel like a genuine documentary. I wonder how an actual history student would view them.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Those episodes are cool, and I also like how the narrator in the rest of the series comes across like a future historian. He isn't always sure about the events we see on-screen, and on at least one occassion he's actually wrong.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Those episodes are cool, and I also like how the narrator in the rest of the series comes across like a future historian. He isn't always sure about the events we see on-screen, and on at least one occassion he's actually wrong.

Where was he wrong? It's been a while since I've watched it, but I don't remember that.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I thought his tendency to spoil the next episode was a bit annoying though.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

lil baby anime posted:

The beginning of episode 26 can suck all the dicks. Every last one of them

I'm not all surprised by his death, but I'm shocked it happened so early in the story. I kinda figured he would bite it eventually, more like during the middle to 3/4 point of the series. I guess it's fitting that he dies right during a low-point in Reinhard's morality, now he has lost his only friend and oh poo poo I can only imagine just how monstrous he gets without that voice of reason.

The ending of episode 32 is sooooo good. I think I have a mancrush on Wang.

I looked around the thread some, but couldn't find any info: can anyone tell me what's up with the animation during the mid 20s episodes? It looks like a different studio was working on the stuff with Phezzan and the Empire while stuff with the Alliance was either being recycled or being done in the style of the earlier episodes and movies. Looks all modern and out of place. Story more than makes up for that thankfully.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Krampus Grewcock posted:

I think I have a mancrush on Wang.
Freudian slip? :v:

quote:

I looked around the thread some, but couldn't find any info: can anyone tell me what's up with the animation during the mid 20s episodes? It looks like a different studio was working on the stuff with Phezzan and the Empire while stuff with the Alliance was either being recycled or being done in the style of the earlier episodes and movies. Looks all modern and out of place. Story more than makes up for that thankfully.
The series was produced between 1988 and 2000, so animation inconsistencies will happen occasionally.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Captain Invictus posted:

The series was produced between 1988 and 2000, so animation inconsistencies will happen occasionally.

Wrong, it's actually footage that had to be re-animated digitally because the original was unusable. Everyone looks pink as gently caress and it's super jarring, the laserdisc release is the only way to watch the show in its original non pink babies form.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Uznare posted:

Wrong, it's actually footage that had to be re-animated digitally because the original was unusable. Everyone looks pink as gently caress and it's super jarring, the laserdisc release is the only way to watch the show in its original non pink babies form.

Ah, that explains it. I knew its production spanned more than a decade but that animation clash between EPs 20-30 was just jarring.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh huh, guess I forgot or didn't notice that stuff.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Does anybody have any experience with the novels? I'm going to be wrapping up a project I'm working on soon, and I was thinking I might try working my way through the books. Are they any good? Do I know what to expect based on watching the show, or are they something different?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Uznare posted:

Thank GOD I had the sense to save my copies of the LD releases and not swap them out for the later ones without watching them.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The_White_Crane posted:

Thank GOD I had the sense to save my copies of the LD releases and not swap them out for the later ones without watching them.

It's... not the biggest deal in the world. I've watched the LDs the DVD and the BRs and it was never jarring enough for me to even notice :o

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The back half of Season 1 can be especially jarring because at times the reanimated footage gets cut in not just scene-by-scene, but shot-by-shot alongside original footage. Watch this scene where Reinhard and Oberstein are talking in Episode 25 for an example of this (spoilers for season 1 obviously).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnnPTXQYVP8&t=614s

Elotana fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 5, 2014

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

DamnGlitch posted:

It's... not the biggest deal in the world. I've watched the LDs the DVD and the BRs and it was never jarring enough for me to even notice :o

It's pretty drat noticeable when everyone looks like they're related to Kirby. It's animated the same way the latter half of the side stories were and it's not good looking.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I guess I just don't suffer too much from that. I wasn't phased by the hack job the zeta movies were, either.

Oh well.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Rochallor posted:

Does anybody have any experience with the novels? I'm going to be wrapping up a project I'm working on soon, and I was thinking I might try working my way through the books. Are they any good? Do I know what to expect based on watching the show, or are they something different?

I haven't read it but I've heard they're pretty decent in expanding the story you see in the anime. As far as I know, I don't think the novels were ever translated in English, just Japanese, Chinese and Korean so I don't think many others here would have read them too.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

They are also like, actual novels so a bit denser and more complex than your standard anime light novel.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So I just started watching this, I'm currently about to start episode 8, and I can already tell I'm hooked. I really love how different the Empire and the Alliances ships are. The Alliance ships seem entirely war-ready and utilitarian, they are unadorned and simple instruments of war whereas the Empire's ships have loving MARBLE COLUMNS on the bridge and has this whole feel of noble elegance. You can see the contrast in values between the two sides in the ship design.

Oh and the Empire's uniforms kick rear end.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

DamnGlitch posted:

more complex than your standard anime light novel.
Ah, ultimately it's still about a dude and his messy relationship with his sister, just like every other LN.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So the earlier talk of the history episodes reminded me of this part in particular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1HAcJJfRHg#t=6m10s

Upon first time seeing that scene I was reminded of some military press conference by the US from Afghanistan or Iraq and a similar reversal of story - possibly about the Abu Ghraib scandal. (But not quite as, eh, flagrant). Was this a false memory conjured by the series or was there anything similar? (I couldn't actually find a single military press conference from YouTube about Iraq or Afghanistan from the recent wars).

I know I've seen a guy in US desert camo in front of a similar press conference somewhere, though.

edit: Yeah, I saw that clip but decided to take another look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKi3NwLFkX4&t=21s
Holy poo poo, it even has a mute guy standing to the side and a map to the side to point at stuff. Could easily see that the scene were modeled after that briefing. But from what I understand the Gulf war was actually a relative success and nothing embarrassing came out of it.
|
v

Dessel fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 7, 2014

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dessel posted:

So the earlier talk of the history episodes reminded me of this part in particular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1HAcJJfRHg#t=6m10s

Upon first time seeing that scene I was reminded of some military press conference by the US from Afghanistan or Iraq and a similar reversal of story - possibly about the Abu Ghraib scandal. (But not quite as, eh, flagrant). Was this a false memory conjured by the series or was there anything similar? (I couldn't actually find a single military press conference from YouTube about Iraq or Afghanistan from the recent wars).

I know I've seen a guy in US desert camo in front of a similar press conference somewhere, though.

You might try looking up Schwarzkopf, he was the American general in charge of the 1991 Gulf War.

Uznare posted:

It's pretty drat noticeable when everyone looks like they're related to Kirby. It's animated the same way the latter half of the side stories were and it's not good looking.

Yeah, I really don't like the reanimated material either. I think the only footage I really prefer it over is the footage from the episode where Yang captures Iserlohn for the first time; there was some pretty severely off-model stuff there.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

SHISHKABOB posted:

The first Rudolf cleansing killed off like four billion people but the narrator said it was ~1% of the population. So the human population went from 400 billion to I think 39 billion at the time of the series (I just saw the episode where they give 25 and 13 billion for empire and alliance).

So it's like a 90% reduction over the course of 500 years.

I think it's said that a large chunk of the alliance's population came from people fleeing the empire. And if people were fleeing the empire then it makes sense to imagine that there were horrible famines and more terrible purges of people.

I've come to the conclusion its probably not that wise to pay much attention to quoted figures in this show as it has some pretty awful continuity problems with things like populations or how many people died in a battle and so on. ("500 ships, 2 million people!" "2000 ships, 100,000 people!", etc)

duck monster fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 8, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
While the new animation looks wonky, there's also a lot of the old animation that looks INCREDIBLY lovely on the LDs. Yang's face shifts as much as Motoko in GITS:SAC.

I'd honestly say I prefer the LD mostly but it's kind of moot.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Kegslayer posted:

I haven't read it but I've heard they're pretty decent in expanding the story you see in the anime. As far as I know, I don't think the novels were ever translated in English, just Japanese, Chinese and Korean so I don't think many others here would have read them too.

DamnGlitch posted:

They are also like, actual novels so a bit denser and more complex than your standard anime light novel.

Well, yeah, I figured they would be fairly heavy based on the show.

I started flipping through the first book and everything's pretty familiar so far. Except one thing that the books do different right off the bat is that the first one starts with a massive history of the galaxy up to the beginning of the series. It's like if the two documentary episodes were the first episodes of the series. It's really very interesting, but I imagine I would be bored out of my mind if I hadn't watched the show first.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

duck monster posted:

I've come to the conclusion its probably not that wise to pay much attention to quoted figures in this show as it has some pretty awful continuity problems with things like populations or how many people died in a battle and so on. ("500 ships, 2 million people!" "2000 ships, 100,000 people!", etc)

Haha yeah, that's probs smart.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

duck monster posted:

Maybe the ships are different sizes?

Maybe there isn't a standardized crew size for each ship?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Imapanda posted:

Maybe the ships are different sizes?

Maybe there isn't a standardized crew size for each ship?

Given that the series is suppose to be an inaccurate historic retelling of a massive conflict, I always thought the non standard numbers were part of the story. A ship might be able to hold say 500 men but you could crew it with 200. In addition, the Alliance and the Empire might have downplayed deaths and exaggerated victories so the numbers would always be hard to verify.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The rule of thumb for compensating for scale issues is that every number in science fiction or fantasy is either ten times too high or ten times too low. Just switch a few zeroes around until you've got something that feels better to you.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

LoGH does it better than most shows, on virtue of having so many drat ships around instead of your typical WW2InSpace fleets (looking at you, Star Trek/Star Wars).

Seems more fitting for star empires spanning dozens and dozens of (populated) systems.

That episode that shows one of the automated factory asteroids churning out cruisers was cool too.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Took me like 3 months but I finally watched episode 27. I should prob be less lazy about watching this so I can finish it before I die.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I just finished episode 21. This show is really great at making you care for the characters. I can't believe they killed Jessica. The bastards! :mad:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Legend of Galactic Heroes: Killing the characters you care for before GRRM made it fashionable.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
About a week ago me and my brother watched the show. Amazing, a real masterpiece. I've been through a lot of shows, and this was incredibly well written and never patronized the viewer.

I've never seen a show quite like this, and I may not ever again. Count me in as one of those who's very cautiously optimistic about this new adaptation. I'm glad to be part of the club who just wonder how more people haven't seen this show.

Gigantic spoiler alert
RIP Yang Wenli, you truly were a miracle. That was one of the most devastating deaths I've ever seen on a TV show. It's even sadder to find out his voice actor died shortly after the role, making it his last.

Cubemario fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 29, 2014

Pierce_The_Heavens
Feb 7, 2014
So I just started watching this, have watched the first two movies and skimmed the first two episodes(since they were covered in the second film) and holy poo poo, where has this show been my whole life.

Thank you SA for recommending this so heavily. Considering my other tastes this fits in perfectly but is rarely talked about outside of here.

Two questions, am I right in reading that LoGH has the same director as SDF Macross? If so no wonder I like it so much, Macross has been my favorite since I watched Robotech as a 12 year old. Also are there any episodes that follow fighter pilots? I know that niche is filled, but with 110 episodes pls Olmsted and prequels I'd hope there was something.

Anyway, thanks for pushing this show so hard, I've really enjoyed it. I'm a recent goon and it's good to have a forum that has good taste and intelligent discussion. The last forum I've enjoyed this much was Team Liquid and their communities outside the SC2 discussion are pretty small.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Pierce_The_Heavens posted:

Also are there any episodes that follow fighter pilots? I know that niche is filled, but with 110 episodes pls Olmsted and prequels I'd hope there was something.
There are a few episodes where there's a focus on the fighter pilots, although it's usually in the context of larger battles. One of my favourite characters is a pilot (Poplan, #2 ladies man) and one of the main characters ends up piloting a fighter in a couple of battles, too.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Cubemario posted:

Gigantic spoiler alert
RIP Yang Wenli, you truly were a miracle. That was one of the most devastating deaths I've ever seen on a TV show. It's even sadder to find out his voice actor died shortly after the role, making it his last.

Wait what, I didn't even notice they changed his voice actor in the OVAs. His replacment was really good I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Iretep posted:

Wait what, I didn't even notice they changed his voice actor in the OVAs. His replacment was really good I guess.

They didn't change his role, he died about a year or so after his role had finished. Nobody else voiced him, to my knowledge.