Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That girl running out of the store and surviving was the funniest thing. I wish we got more moments like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

CODChimera posted:

That girl running out of the store and surviving was the funniest thing. I wish we got more moments like that.

I need to take that entire sequence and cut it with some classic Benny Hill music.

"Don't go out there, you'll die instantly!"
*dodges all vampires*

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Thank God Abraham got Vasiliy to join the survivor group. He's the only one worth carrying around. I'm not sure how many zombie vampires need to kill innocents, instantly turn into vampires, and run amok before Eph and Nora get off their drat high horses about killing them. Eph needs a good slap most of the time and Nora always has this stupid morality clause. Like really, you're pissed off that your group is breaking into the medical supply store? Really? And this was after you were pissed that Abraham killed a little girl vampire that was actively trying to face hug you?

Also the cool rad hacker girls nervous hacker friend dodging away from all the vampires was awesome. This show sets up so many cliches that I totally expected her to go down instantly, then bam, she squirreled her way out of there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The show's insistence for most of the first season that it's a police procedural about the simplest mystery ever also got a little old, and the show is pockmarked with plot holes and convenient coincidences at this point. It was awful nice of Setrakian to remember that you can kill the Master to end the plague only after several days of trying to kill a list of 200+ people by himself.

I know the show isn't internally consistent a lot of the time, but not everything that isn't 100% logical is a plot hole. Setrakian is loving terrified of facing the Master again after what happened during WWII, so he thinks he can stop the outbreak by stemming the tide early-on before it gets out of hand. He's known from the beginning that the "simplest" way to end it is to kill the Master, but that's a whole lot easier said than done. He didn't want to have to deal with the Master until it became absolutely necessary.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Caught up on this last night. I can understand finding the show ridiculous, because it is, but it's a fun popcorn show and I pity people who can't just shut poo poo down for an hour and have fun. Nothing on this show makes sense but gently caress it, I have a good time watching it.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

sportsgenius86 posted:

Caught up on this last night. I can understand finding the show ridiculous, because it is, but it's a fun popcorn show and I pity people who can't just shut poo poo down for an hour and have fun. Nothing on this show makes sense but gently caress it, I have a good time watching it.

I'm glad you can have fun watching a guy in a terrible hairpiece whine about his custody battle and a woman yell at her Alzheimer's-riddled mother for 45 minutes but I really just want to watch vampires eat people or people behead vampires.

Basically I could watch that scene with Eichorst feeding on the dude 30 times in a row and it would be a more enjoyable use of my time than anything involving Eph's kid/wife/AA meetings.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Every single character on this show has done something monumentally stupid so quibbling over who's dumber seems like a waste of time.

Bring back RabbitFace!

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I feel like this show is turning out to be a vampire version of The Following.

Which means people are mostly hate watching the poo poo out of it just to see how much more stupid the protagonists can be every week.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The Following started off kinda strong, then ended up taking a hard left screeching turn to Suckville. This started out kinda slow but has gradually improved from episode to episode. Plus it helps if you don't take it seriously - at all.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The entertainment has improved but the writing has gotten more sloppy. It's definitely fun to watch and I sometimes just turn it on for background while I'm doing this or that.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

This was literally the best episode. Is it maybe because none of what happened this episode happens in the book? Maybe. I don't care. Vasily is the best, that gas pump gif is the best, time for this show to start delivering.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This show has worse writing than Terra Nova and that alone is impressive. I kept hoping that bread man would be a vampire killing badass and drive away in his bread truck just to emphasize the stupidity of the main characters but sadly he went down without a fight.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

wormil posted:

This show has worse writing than Terra Nova and that alone is impressive. I kept hoping that bread man would be a vampire killing badass and drive away in his bread truck just to emphasize the stupidity of the main characters but sadly he went down without a fight.

He went down after having punched a vampire in the face. :cmon:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

wormil posted:

I kept waiting for that vampire special forces team from the previous episode to show up in some kind of killdozer.

I still want that to happen at some point.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rurea posted:

This was literally the best episode. Is it maybe because none of what happened this episode happens in the book? Maybe. I don't care. Vasily is the best, that gas pump gif is the best, time for this show to start delivering.

The difference between the content, pace and entertainment quality of the last episode and the previous seven was just so incredible that it took me by complete surprise. I have no problem with stupid scifi/horror shows having plot gaps and bad writing as long as they deliver on the entertainment. A lot of plot gaps and corny horror memes can be forgiven if you just have a badass Ukrainian with a crowbar delivering lines like "what are the rules". Badass Ukrainian plus Vampire SWAT team is a killer combination that will hold my interest through how ever many seasons they drag this thing through; as long as I don't have to listen to Eph's whiny rear end ex and his MacGuffin kid.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Golem II posted:

I love how many people are taking this show seriously. They show is ridiculous, is too much like Blade 2, I love it for what it is.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yeah, I agree with both of you. Sure, there's some plotholes and stuff, but who really gives a gently caress with a show like this? Even the best TV shows will have some plotholes if you look hard enough and this is not the type of show where you should be looking hard, just kicking back and enjoying stuff like this:

Senjuro posted:

Requesting a gif of the bit where Vasiliy looks at the gas options and chooses premium. Never mind, found it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

savinhill posted:

Yeah, I agree with both of you. Sure, there's some plotholes and stuff, but who really gives a gently caress with a show like this? Even the best TV shows will have some plotholes if you look hard enough and this is not the type of show where you should be looking hard, just kicking back and enjoying stuff like this:

EVERYONE's issue was that it was seven shows of 90% slow poo poo not actually doing anything. So of course you're going to complain about lovely things when nothing's going on.

When stuff is happening less people will legitimately complain about lovely things.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea this episode is where there really should be no turning back, it should be a non-stop ride to crazy-town from here.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

People insist that this show is not to be taken seriously, forgetting the multiple terrible scenes per episode demanding that you take it seriously, between the cheese.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Oh hey. Just pourin this 40 in the toilet and drinkin some...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

MentholsNBeer posted:

She was emptying bottles to make Molotovs. Emptying a bunch of 40s into a toilet quickly is more practical than emptying them into your mouth quickly.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.
Compared to Fargo this is on par with Sharknado level acting. I'll keep watching until it grows on me to the point where I can't stop.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mughe posted:

Compared to Fargo this is on par with Sharknado level acting. I'll keep watching until it grows on me to the point where I can't stop.

Oh man, I just binged through Fargo a few weeks ago and Jesus loving Christ it was so good.

I totally wasn't thinking it'd be any good, but god drat Billy-bob just nails that fuckin' character. Everyone else was pretty drat good, too. What a sweet show.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

People insist that this show is not to be taken seriously, forgetting the multiple terrible scenes per episode demanding that you take it seriously, between the cheese.

It's also just a stupid argument to begin with, because shows can be dumb entertainment and not actually be bad. Spartacus was big and dumb and loud, but it was also generally well written, well acted, and incredibly well paced. There are tons of stupid popcorn flicks that are actually, you know, good, and at the very least not boring. You can't have a show that's supposed to be campy fun consist of like 80% serious drama scenes that are horrendously written and acted.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

MentholsNBeer posted:

Had to be the best non-action scene of the show, how lovely has your life become that you would sit on the floor of a piss soaked gas station bathroom drinking cheap beer and giving no fucks.

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.

Drifter posted:

Oh man, I just binged through Fargo a few weeks ago and Jesus loving Christ it was so good.

I totally wasn't thinking it'd be any good, but god drat Billy-bob just nails that fuckin' character. Everyone else was pretty drat good, too. What a sweet show.

Once you know the quality that FX shows can be, it makes everything else seem... sub par.

I'm still holding out for the Strain to pick up in term of intensity though.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I wasn't a big fan of the single location, DTV zombie movie siege tbh, but I like where the show has been heading and it's easy enough to just tune out when Feb or his family open their mouthes. Decent wallpaper TV.

Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Every single character on this show has done something monumentally stupid so quibbling over who's dumber seems like a waste of time.

In principle I agree with your general vibe... but what monumentally stupid things has Vasiliy and Setrakian done? I can't remember anything too bad from either of these two, but that could be because of falling asleep a couple times during a couple eps.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Setrakian acted like a crazy person when he first started talking about the vampires and landed in jail.

Vasilly gave up his full scholarship to MIT for no particular reason.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This show needs a machete wielding Jamaican, badman yardy type. Not that heart of gold vato.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

Setrakian acted like a crazy person when he first started talking about the vampires and landed in jail.

Vasilly gave up his full scholarship to MIT for no particular reason.

Not everybody wants to go to college? or some people will rebel against their father's wishes no matter the cost.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Noirex posted:

I feel like this show is turning out to be a vampire version of The Following.

Which means people are mostly hate watching the poo poo out of it just to see how much more stupid the protagonists can be every week.

Oh man I hope so. The Following was hilarious to watch while reading the thread.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Rarrgh posted:

In principle I agree with your general vibe... but what monumentally stupid things has Vasiliy and Setrakian done? I can't remember anything too bad from either of these two, but that could be because of falling asleep a couple times during a couple eps.

Setrakian thought he could kill 200 vampire families one-by-one and stop the vampire plague, which is dumb beyond measure and just as stupid as anything anyone else has done.

Vasiliy discovered vampires living in the sewer and his reaction is...give a cryptic warning to his coworkers, go to his parent's house, half-heartedly tell them to leave New York, then start stocking up on supplies. He makes no real effort to tell anyone else in his department, contact any other authorities, or do anything beyond gear himself up for extermination. He's most likely consigned his coworkers and family to death. (And yes, I know that plot demands that any effort he took to stop the vampires would fail - but the point is to show that he's motivated to do so) He's behaving exactly like Setrakian - thinking that he alone can stop the threat. Which is as dumb and wrong as thinking he can cure it.

Don't get me wrong - I like both these characters. They're compelling. But they're also stupid. 6 UV lights and a chunk of rebar isn't going to fix NY. Neither is a sword, a list of 200 addresses, and some heart pills. Neither is pulling a worm out of a guy's face or chemotherapy. Every last one of these main characters is an ineffective dunce.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Setrakian thought he could kill 200 vampire families one-by-one and stop the vampire plague, which is dumb beyond measure and just as stupid as anything anyone else has done.

Young Setrakian probably could have done it. Seems like a lot of the mistakes he makes are because he forgets how old he is now. Can't keep up with the whippersnappers.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

He makes no real effort to tell anyone else in his department, contact any other authorities, or do anything beyond gear himself up for extermination.

Didn't he actually go back to his office and everybody was dead/infected?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vasiliy discovered vampires living in the sewer and his reaction is...give a cryptic warning to his coworkers, go to his parent's house, half-heartedly tell them to leave New York, then start stocking up on supplies. He makes no real effort to tell anyone else in his department, contact any other authorities, or do anything beyond gear himself up for extermination. He's most likely consigned his coworkers and family to death. (And yes, I know that plot demands that any effort he took to stop the vampires would fail - but the point is to show that he's motivated to do so) He's behaving exactly like Setrakian - thinking that he alone can stop the threat. Which is as dumb and wrong as thinking he can cure it.

Don't get me wrong - I like both these characters. They're compelling. But they're also stupid. 6 UV lights and a chunk of rebar isn't going to fix NY. Neither is a sword, a list of 200 addresses, and some heart pills. Neither is pulling a worm out of a guy's face or chemotherapy. Every last one of these main characters is an ineffective dunce.

I know I keep making similar posts but these same points keep coming up. If you already think the characters in the show are dumb and are therefore looking for it, yea you can find it. But if you get a little more invested in the story(having read the books I have the advantage of knowing the entire story) there are explanations for a lot of these complaints beyond "the main characters are dumbasses".

Setrakian is a very damaged person. He has been preparing for this to happen, but he's loving terrified of facing the Master again and he probably assumes that would be a suicide mission at best. So he's not making totally rational decisions on the issue, and for good reason.

I think the show is maybe failing to show the extent of the outbreak and just how hosed everything is by now. By the time Vasiliy got back to his office and found that dead secretary there weren't really many options as far as contacting the authorities(in New York anyway). Its full-on apocalypse time, and he knows it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Speaking as a well-known fan of horror, if you get easily hung up on questionable character motivation, question why characters sometimes "do dumb things" and obsess over issues of "tactical realism", you should probably stop watching horror stuff and become a civil war reenactor or something.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I think the same way about people complaining that Eph was horrified when Fet shot Samwise. Yes, it was objectively dumb to think he could be saved, but they were friends. I would be upset if someone shoots my friend in the head no matter the circumstances.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

sicDaniel posted:

I think the same way about people complaining that Eph was horrified when Fet shot Samwise. Yes, it was objectively dumb to think he could be saved, but they were friends. I would be upset if someone shoots my friend in the head no matter the circumstances.

That was the least of that episode's logical problems, but the whole episode was really fun and the show is worth watching finally because the boring is going away.

It was strange to me to expect Samwise to go, "NOTHING IS WRONG WITH ME" and try to hide it knowing he was nicked with a frogvampire tongue, but then find out that apparently he really didn't know and actually did what I didn't expect, which was to say that they needed to kill him. It's just a common trope (especially in zombie movies) for one dude to get bitten or whatever and hide it from the rest of the group for no real reason. I was glad to see that this episode didn't take that trope and run with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

InfiniteZero posted:

Didn't he actually go back to his office and everybody was dead/infected?

Yep.

Every last one of these main characters is an ineffective dunce.

There is a difference between dumb, and irrational within context of a story. Vasiliy may be irrational but what is rational? Running around telling everyone there are monsters in the sewers? Telling his parents there are vampires loose and that's why they should leave town? How will that play out? I can't say, but at the point he becomes committed it's clear the city is in bedlam and the "authorities" aren't of much use. If someone wants to argue the characters are all dumb then a better example is escaping the gas station -- running to a bread truck big enough to hold them all that is 30 feet from the door is rational; stopping halfway to make Molotovs is ridiculous and the sort of thing you'd expect to see in a SyFy shark movie or in the Scary Movie franchise because it's funny but not in a show that takes itself seriously like Strain. This show is all over the place, borrowing freely from other horror, slow paced and dramatic (poorly), wild eyed and ridiculous, badass and fast paced; it comes off very amateurish. I get the feeling that people were brought in for rewrites because the original script was so drat boring and that accounts for the uneven pacing and tone. If they learn from their mistakes in S1, there is a chance that S2 could be drastically better.

• Locked thread