Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Arrakis, commonly known as the planet Dune. A sprawling and vast desert planet that is the galaxy’s only known source of the highly addictive spice melange. The spice is the key to precognitive space travel, letting pilots steer their vessels safely throughout space, and the backbone to all travel.

The great House Atreides, from the home planet of Caladan and led by the great Duke mr capps Atreides, has been appointed custodian of Arrakis, and granted sole rights to harvest the spice from the sandy wasteland.

But another house, House Harkonnen and its Baron anime gently caress pillow, has decided that the weak Atreides are undeserving of the power and wealth of Arrakis, and with the secret backing of the Emperor has launched an offensive to kill the Duke, and steal the spice production for himself.

The two Houses have an enmity lasting centuries, but finally, this battle of combat and intrigue will lead to the destruction of one house, and the everlasting power of its mortal enemy.

Welcome to the Harkonnen game thread of this soldiers mafialike. I am your friendly mod busb, and am much prettier than the other thread mod Opopanax. I am your first port of call for game related questions. The original rules thread can be found here for you to reference: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660445

The enemy thread, which you are NOT allowed to post in, but you may read, may be found here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662109

The second post contains the status of the relevant battlefields that can be fought over, as well as the playerlist for this thread.

Your Statistics

Abilities are all secret, but typically your stats affect abilities. you have 7 stat points to allocate, however no stat may be lower than 0, nor higher than 3.

{C}ADENCE: proficiency at the measured dance of modern melee combat, least effective in deep desert.
{R}ETROVERSION: proficiency with ancient ranged combat techniques. Most effective in deep desert.
{A}DDICTION: the soldier’s addiction to the precognitive spice melange. All of the highest users of spice act first (defense abilities go before offense), then next highest, and so on. The highest levels of melange addiction renders a person less receptive to spice healing. (Addiction4 = -2 to all heals received, Addiction3= -1 to all heals, Addiction 0= +2 to all heals
{STA}MINA: related to HP (+1 MaxHP for each STAMINA point)
{SH}IELDING: related to damage mitigation. For the cost of 3 statpoints, grants -1 damage from melee sources, and -4 from ranged. However if a shield is ever shot with a (very rare) lasgun, the shooter and the victim both explode, killing them both and dealing damage to their entire formation rank. Shields cannot be used at all in Deep Desert battlegrounds.

:siren:Reminder: you cannot talk about exact numbers or stats, hp, damage, abilities etc. :siren:

busb fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
HOUSE HARKONNEN
The Baron - Mod confirmed town-aligned

Baron A.F.P. Harkonnen - Ruler of this House and thread

1. 50 pounds of bread
  2. anime gently caress pillow
  3. CCKeane
  4. DGK2000
  5. JakeP
  6. Juanito
  7. MEDS CURE SCHIZOS
  8. Meinberg
  9. Somberbrero

Recycled for their bodily fuilds:
  1. dorkanoid Atreides (scum) aligned Caladanian footman was lynched day 1
  2. Ixtlilton Atreides (scum) aligned Mercenary footman was lynched day 1
  3. chaoslordHarkonnen (town) aligned Mercenary assassin was killed in battle 1
  4. Puntification Harkonnen (town) aligned Sardaukar footman was killed in battle 1
  5. Rarity Harkonnen (town) aligned Mercenary footman was killed in battle 1
  6. CapitalistPig Harkonnen (town) aligned PrimaGiedian footman was found murdered Night 1
  7. Pinterest Mom Atreides (scum) aligned Ghola Assassin was lynched Day 2
  8. Lumpen Harkonnen (town) aligned Ghola Footman was found murdered Night 2

BATTLEFIELDS:

Arrakeen
The heartland of the Good empire
Atriedes benefit: The Atreides Duke can appoint an extra frontline defender to battles in this battleground.
Harkonnen benefit: If the Harkonnen raiding party wins, the Harkonnen Baron may target and instantly ##kill one player in the opposing thread (except the enemy King).

Sietch Tabr - desert
A vast network of caves and tunnels. Many native or ancient artefacts can be found in hidden caches here.
Desert Environment: A sandworm appears in 50% of battles here. Shielded combatants each have a 20% risk of being eaten by a sandworm.
Victor benefit: The victorious army raids the secret caches of the ancient Fremen. Great artifacts can be recovered, but some may not have lasted the travails of time. If combatants decide to ##loot instead of taking part in the battle. The number of artifacts looted is based on the number of total ##loot actions, but only the battle’s victorious army gets to loot, losers drop their ##loot for the victorious army in their haste to escape!

Windtrap Expanse
”Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him. May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people” - Fremen saying.

Windtraps collect vital water from the cooled nighttime air of Arrakeen. Control of the water supply is vital to such a parched land, and this vast rocky outcrop is a key location to deny to the enemy.

Victor: surviving members of the battle here gain Augment All 1 for the next day’s battle. (+1 to all damaging abilities)
Loser: The losing side’s surviving raiders gain the Parched debuff, which lasts until they win a windtrap battle (-1 to current and max Stamina).

Spice Field Delta - Deep Desert
“He who controls the spice, controls the universe” - Baron Vladimir Harkonnen. Of course there are risks too - the Shai-hulud, giant sandworms, feel and are attracted to the agitation and vibration in the sand.
Deep Desert Environment - due to the abundance of sandworms in this zone, shields may not be used, rendering ballistics more effective. (all Ranged attacks gain +2 to damage) a sandworm is always attracted to battles here, and Ranged rank characters each have a 20% chance of being eaten by a sandworm after the healing phase of battle.

Victor Benefit: The victorious army controls the spice fields, granting the ruler improved boons.

Carthag
The seat of the Harkonnen’s power. The ostentatious fortification will be heavily defended. It would take a brave force to attempt this raid.

Harkonnen Benefit: The Harkonnen Baron may select an additional frontline defender for battles.
Atreides Benefit: If your raiding party wins, the Atriedes Duke may instantly ##kill one player in the opposing thread (except the enemy ruler).

busb fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 14, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 2, 2014

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Go house atreides

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
hi

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Magnus Gallant posted:

Go house atreides

mod kill requested

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Which mod do you want me to kill?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Hi everyone

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Magnus Gallant posted:

Which mod do you want me to kill?

Wrong thread get out! Shittalk from your own threads only please.

busb fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 2, 2014

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

busb posted:

Wrong thread get out! Shittalk from your own threads only please. Wait you're not even playing. Magnus :argh:

did you want to be a replacement?

I'm in the other thread. I'm leaving now. :D

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

GET SOME GET SOME

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Role PMs will go out either later tonight or tomorrow, at which point players will assign their stats (which will be their confirmation)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Death will be swift, Duke Leto Anime.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It has come to my attention that there are a great many nerd animes in the other thread. This pleases me greatly, as Animes are incredibly easy to destroy and are clogged by lovely story lines and an inferior art form.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Let's, umm, kill bad guys or something.

I'm not going to read my role pm and only will guess what i am.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Please don't do that, Cpig. I have faith in you - do you have faith in you too?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I haven't played a soldiers game before, how are the battlefields chosen? Can you chose them multiple times?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Please don't do that, Cpig. I have faith in you - do you have faith in you too?

Ok fine I GUESS I'll read it.

Jeez.

I have faith in the spice and plan on putting all my points in addiction.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Yes, but they are chosen in turns. We have the first selection. I also have the ability to decide if we will be using standard plurality, lights out, or double plurality (highest 2 with votes on them are lynched). I am a man of the people, and so I am willing to hear my soldiers' thoughts on this matter.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I will not speak further ill of my opponents of Atriedes Anime - They are merely misguided, and it is our job to correct their worldview. I know that some of you may feel strongly against violence, but know this: They will kill us if we do not kill them. We are a force among which none other can stand. We are strong of arm and will, to be sure, but it is our hearts and the knowledge that we fight for the good of Arrakis that will lead us to our inevitable victory. I will be commissioning a song to which you may bravely fight for your nation shortly. Worry not of your lives, for you will always live in the hearts of your countrymen. Worry not for your families, for they will be well taken care of. Worry not for your freedom, for that is something which the Anime can never take from you. Long live Harkonnen!

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 2, 2014

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Yes, but they are chosen in turns. We have the first selection. I also have the ability to decide if we will be using standard plurality, lights out, or double plurality (highest 2 with votes on them are lynched). I am a man of the people, and so I am willing to hear my soldiers' thoughts on this matter.

Double plurality is pretty much always a bad choice. The strength of the town is that we have more votes than the scum, however if a large portion of our votes is on one guy, then the scum will have a higher vote ratio. So never pick that.

Lights out is incredibly powerful, it gives more power at the cost of less certainty. This is always worth using when available, save for day 1.

The best strategy is to start with normal, and then alternate between normal and lights out. If we have a situation where 2 lynch targets are obvious choices, replace a normal day with a double. Other than that, double is too risky to be useful.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
It is generous of you to feed scraps of favor to the Atreides dogs, but even such is too generous for one who subsists on Pocky and Card Captor Sakura.

I think straight plurality is the way to go. I'm unclear as to how dangerous exactly scum can be, but I would think that caution is the best approach since we want to stay very far away from our losing condition.

The watering hole seems to be objectively the best, but I don't have a full understanding of the mechanics yet. If we could secure it immediately with a team of Bad Dudes, I would think we could use that initial momentum to gain an unassailable lead. Additional damage seems huge.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

My current thoughts on the matter are that we should never use either of the alternative lynch types until such a time that it makes sense to have multiple lynches a day. It is worth noting that this is a game of attrition, as running out of people by lynch or battle faster than the other thread is not likely to benefit us without powerful evidence to support the use of, say, lights out. Lights out as a mechanic is very, very, VERY attractive to me, but perhaps this is not the game for it?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Lights out is the only correct answer.
Look deep into your souls and understand it to be true.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Burgundy has declared himself my rival. I am seeking permission to kill him on the field of battle.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

50 pounds of bread posted:

Burgundy has declared himself my rival. I am seeking permission to kill him on the field of battle.

Hey everyone enjoy fifty's last post.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
All anime is awful so i'm glad i have this thread to mod. phew.

Opop has gone to sleep because he's a beaver and they hibernate during the day or something. Go to sleep sweet soldiers and you'll get your role PMs in about 8 hoursish~

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Hey guys, I'm here. Let us dine on opulence and indulge in excess. We are the best house, not those filthy Atreides bastards.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
diqnol please give me the honour of running Asiina through with my sword.

How does lights out work?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Rarity posted:

diqnol please give me the honour of running Asiina through with my sword.

How does lights out work?

Lights Out means that there is no flip until the deadline, but you can keep voting people out in the meanwhile. It can be a double edged sword, and tends to cut town just as heavily as scum. I've only played on Lights Out game, and it did end in a town victory, but I'm not sure how common that is.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I choose Your Personal Muse as my rival in the other thread. He is like me but not good. He must be crushed for the sake of my identity. I will hunt him down given any opportunity to do so.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Whooo Go Harkonnens. Is rivals a real thing that matters? Do I need to pick one?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Puntification posted:

Whooo Go Harkonnens. Is rivals a real thing that matters? Do I need to pick one?

A real thing? I think not. A cool thing? Hells yeah.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Meinberg posted:

A real thing? I think not. A cool thing? Hells yeah.

Fair enough; Capps, I'm gonna destroy you, you atredies dog! I'm gonna live up to my inspiration and be a pig because pigs eat people given the chance; I'm gonna feast on your bones and then find some truffles motherfucker! Afterwards I'm gonna wear your skin and talk poo poo about anime!

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
My Mafia Care level is critically depleted, lowest levels in years. Maybe this game will replenish, but we'll see. Mentioning just to appropriately set meta bar.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

We are desperately falling behind the other thread in terms of activity. A sad, shameful state of affairs to be beaten by the likes of Capps.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

mr.capps posted:

chaoslord - you can't be a loving lord of chaos it makes no loving sense, like if you are a lord, that means you are lawful and crap jesus christ this loving rear end in a top hat

CAPPS I can be Chaotic aligned lord ffs :argh:

(is this a good post, meinberg?)

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Meinberg posted:

We are desperately falling behind the other thread in terms of activity. A sad, shameful state of affairs to be beaten by the likes of Capps.
We're already winning by avoiding all of the anime stuff.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Juanito posted:

We're already winning by avoiding all of the anime stuff.

I suppose that is true enough. Still, I want overwhelming dominance over the enemy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

We have such a dominance by being overwhelmingly more intelligent than they are.

• Locked thread