Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
What games are there where you play a wizard solving puzzles? I don't mean normal RPGs where you just blast fireballs, but more like Quest for Glory series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

You should play The Immortal.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
King's Quest 3 you play as a sorta wizard.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Trine and Trine 2.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

Trine and Trine 2.

You don't a mage as much as you play a box magician. Solving every problem one box at a time.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Spellcasting 101, Spellcasting 201, or even Spellcasting 301.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
Heretic 2 from 1998 is a 3rd-person wizard simulator where you can use your staff to pole-vault people's heads off. As far as I know it's the only game in history where you can kill things by pole-vaulting into them. Also very pretty glowy magic effects that were way ahead of the time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Discworld, Discworld 2, Simon the Sorcerer series, and Loom.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Aw man i came into this thread hoping to find some sort of new wizard / sports game hybrid, like the Olympic games but then for wizards.

But no it's just a simple question. What a shame.

EDIT: It inspired me to do this though: https://twitter.com/DFVIDTUTS/status/491536201615413248

Captain_duck fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 22, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Solstice for NES?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

al-azad posted:

Discworld, Discworld 2, Simon the Sorcerer series, and Loom.

All good, especially Loom.

Tiggum posted:

Trine and Trine 2.

Trine looks fun.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Wizorb. You play as a Wizard who transforms himself into a mediocre Arkanoid clone.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
It's a wizard's game, my friend.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun
Maybe Magicka? It's certainly puzzling why my friend keeps using the CTD spell on me :argh:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Wizardry has wizard right in the name, and some of them are full of obtuse puzzles and mazes. I've never gotten past the first level of one of them but perhaps someone a little more "wizardlike" (wise and patient, perhaps autistic) would fare better. Good luck in your quest.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Solstice for NES?

Better yet, don't play Solstice.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Since you mentioned Quest for Glory specifically, you should give Heroine's Quest a try. It's free to play on Steam.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So this looks fairly wizardy:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261760/

But I dunno if it's any good, anyone played it?

I imagine it's not puzzle heavy but it is ostensibly very wizardy.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

It is extremely wizardy. You have a variety of sigils (aka Elements) for your spells and can craft them in various flavours. Its big selling point is not being like other wizard games where you have Mana/Mana-substitutes or cooldowns, but rather the challenge in how you use your spells and how you craft them. Not puzzly at all, but a fun game, no idea as to its length.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Arx Fatalis is a pretty neat RPG where you can play as a wizard. In order to cast spells you gotta memorize and draw runes with the mouse which is pretty fun when you're backpedaling away from a mad troll while desperately trying to cast a fireball. There's an open source port of the game called Arx Libertatis, which makes the game run better on modern systems. You still need the original files though.

I'm really a fan of somewhat original magic systems where it's not just "have mana, cast spell" but you have to manage some other kind of resources or game mechanics to be an effective caster. Something like the reagents/mantras from the Ultima games or runes from Runescape.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Random Hajile posted:

Since you mentioned Quest for Glory specifically, you should give Heroine's Quest a try. It's free to play on Steam.

Yeah, it's good stuff :).

The Blue Caboose posted:

Maybe Magicka? It's certainly puzzling why my friend keeps using the CTD spell on me :argh:

Magicka is best when you're playing it with friends while totally shitfaced.

OwlFancier posted:

Conot posted:

It is extremely wizardy. You have a variety of sigils (aka Elements) for your spells and can craft them in various flavours. Its big selling point is not being like other wizard games where you have Mana/Mana-substitutes or cooldowns, but rather the challenge in how you use your spells and how you craft them. Not puzzly at all, but a fun game, no idea as to its length.

Looks drat fine and the combination stuff sounds fun. I'll just have wait until it gets on sale.

sharts
Jul 3, 2008

a̸ ̕s̡cŗeam͟i͠ng͞ ͘sk͏u̢l̨l i̡s y͝o͡ųr o͡n͟l͞y ͢comp̛ani̡o͞n͝
Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXg_i3i8CT4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Command & Conquer Red Alert had a pretty cool wizard. You had the robo voice coming on and apparently there was a hit squad sent after your head if you didn't put in the proper CD key. Overall, best wizard.

• Locked thread