Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sir_Substance posted:

truthfully, we're at a stage where if I'm wearing a tie in your presence, it's because I assume you're a shallow person who is incapable of judging people on merits and has to resort to judging on appearance
So much misguided smug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

So much misguided smug.

But you don't understand! It's his 3 wolf shirt that shows what a dependable pro he is!
(I say, as someone who owns both a veritable cornucopia of ties AND a 3 wolf shirt)

And now I've just discovered there's a 3 Wolf tie as well and quite want one.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

good jovi posted:

The four in hand is both the easiest and best looking. Just learn it.

http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~tmf20/tieknots.shtml is a much more interesting look at ties, as well as some more formalized instructions for the tying of most knots.

That work has been built on by a friend of mine in Hirsch, Patterson, Sandberg, Vejdemo-Johansson: More ties than we thought. He also built a random tie knot generator so you can always have something new to try!

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

baquerd posted:

Take your four in hand and go out partying in style, or to a friendly dinner all you want. Wearing one for business is generally wrong though.

That's fair. My experience is not in the most fomal of environments.

And knots are not one-tie-fits-all, either. The four-in-hand does tend to look kind of schoolboyish when used with a thin silk tie. You really need something thicker like a knit or grenadine to get away with it. Even then, my favorite is really the double four-in-hand. It starts the same, but just wraps around one extra time. Similar narrow profile, but more cylindrical, and stands up particularly well if you like the tie boner look.

Clothes are fun, computers are poo poo.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

So much misguided smug.

Be honest here, name one practical reason for wearing a tie. You can't even make the argument that it makes you less naked. It exists only as an affectation, and it's inconvenient to wear. People wear it only so other people will see them wearing it and go "oh, look how professional that person is".

If it actually denoted some kind of professionalism or competence, it might be worth putting up with them, but in this thread of all threads, I think we can all agree there is zero correlation between workplace competence and ties.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Sir_Substance posted:

Be honest here, name one practical reason for wearing a tie.

Easy use to commit suicide (or strangle the person who hosed up) when someone blows up your backup system, or causes a massive STP convergence, or any of the other million horrible things that happen to people in this thread. :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm definitely in the agreement of ties add nothing. If wearing a shirt, trousers and shoes isn't professional, but wearing a shirt, trousers, shoes and a tie is then you're probably a guy who's into nitpicking things.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 2, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sir_Substance posted:

Be honest here, name one practical reason for wearing a tie. You can't even make the argument that it makes you less naked. It exists only as an affectation, and it's inconvenient to wear. People wear it only so other people will see them wearing it and go "oh, look how professional that person is".
There isn't a practical reason for a lot of stuff. Name one practical reason for not wearing white gym socks with a suit.

You wear a tie because it expresses a certain level of formality and, like it or not, social cues matter. The guy on the Dos Equis commercials with the unbuttoned shirt is at a bar. He does not belong in a law firm. Some industries care more about this. Some circumstances call for it (don't be that guy going to a funeral wearing a jacket with no tie). Welcome to the real world.

I'm not going to make the argument that a shirt, slacks, and tie is more professional (I actually think ties look much worse without a jacket), but some people also like them as fashion statements. There aren't a lot of acceptable accessories for men, and a tie is one.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sir_Substance posted:

Looks like someone hasn't heard about autoerotic asphyxiation yet!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'll revise my statement in light of that then. If you think a shirt and tie is needed in an IT office where you don't see your customers, then phooey to you. A shirt is definitely enough.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

dogstile posted:

I'll revise my statement in light of that then. If you think a shirt and tie is needed in an IT office where you don't see your customers, then phooey to you. A shirt is definitely enough.

Mostly what I took away from this is that pants and perhaps even underwear are not necessary at work if you don't see your customers :sun:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sir_Substance posted:

Mostly what I took away from this is that pants and perhaps even underwear are not necessary at work if you don't see your customers :sun:

Do we have a working from home emote?

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

My company has dress up thursdays (as we're not allowed dress down fridays) where I will wear fancier stuff. Tie's just get such massive pushback against me because they're annoying.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 2, 2014

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Sir_Substance posted:

If it actually denoted some kind of professionalism or competence, it might be worth putting up with them, but in this thread of all threads, I think we can all agree there is zero correlation between workplace competence and ties.

Because it looks good? I can never understand why IT folks dread the idea of dressing up. Style isn't a bad thing, guys. :sigh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Webbeh posted:

Because it looks good? I can never understand why IT folks dread the idea of dressing up. Style isn't a bad thing, guys. :sigh:

People dislike the idea of being forced into it, and to a lesser extent the idea of wearing attire unsuited for things like grubbing under peoples' desks or working inside of computer cases. I know I certainly would not want to have to wear nice slacks and a tie in previous jobs I've had, mostly because the former would get grungy constantly and the latter would try to kill me on the regular.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Webbeh posted:

Because it's usually an uncomfortable pain in the rear for a profession where end users / customers don't see you?

Besides, you can look nice without dressing up. Ties belong at weddings and funerals, not in cubicles.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I wear nicer clothes than I have to because they're comfy and I don't want to be the least professionally dressed person in the office. Also, I'm not crawling under desks or walking the factory floor anymore.

gently caress wearing a suit jacket and tie though. That poo poo is exclusively for interviews.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
To continue the Tie chat thread:

http://www.zazzle.com/business_cat_tie-151313816045843473

I would totally wear this tie.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sir_Substance posted:

What do you wear to funerals and weddings?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Webbeh posted:

It depends on what industry you are in.

While I do usually work in a office, at any time I could be called out to one of our stores or warehouses where I inevitably end up crawling around on a dirty floor, going up/down grungy ladders, etc.. I stopped wearing nice dress clothes a long time ago because I just ended up ruining most of them.

These days its just a polo/henley shirt and khakis.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sir_Substance posted:

Because I meet with customers on occasion, and it helps to not look like a slob when a customer is spending a few million dollars a month with your company?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nitrogen posted:

I think you need to be in the legal profession to wear that. It's pretty rad though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

nitrogen posted:

If only the cat on the tie was wearing the business cat tie...

:catdrugs:

Soulman
Apr 15, 2003

Sirotan posted:

If only the cat on the tie was wearing the business cat tie...

:catdrugs:

No, the cat should be wearing a business man tie...

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Sir_Substance posted:

Be honest here, name one practical reason for wearing a tie.

Because when I tear it off and tie my wife to the bedpost it gets her hot. Since I'm working from home now I have to go fumble for them in the closet so it doesn't have the same dramatic effect.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Inspector_666 posted:

What do you wear to funerals and weddings?

When I went to my brother's wedding reception, I wore a tuxedo-print T-shirt in bright green and sneakers that matched it. To be fair, I know this is nonstandard, but it was a request by the bride. It does happen! I mean, technically it wasn't even a wedding as they'd previously eloped, but it mostly counts.

More seriously, I'm 31 and I can count the number of times I have actually required a tie on one hand; it's definitely not a skill that I would expect to have 'at my age' because it's not a thing I need to do on a regular basis. I don't go to that many formal funerals and weddings, and while I do dress up, a lot of the people my age getting married don't expect me to wear a tie either judging from how few I've seen at them.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Prism posted:

When I went to my brother's wedding reception, I wore a tuxedo-print T-shirt in bright green and sneakers that matched it. To be fair, I know this is nonstandard, but it was a request by the bride. It does happen! I mean, technically it wasn't even a wedding as they'd previously eloped, but it mostly counts.

More seriously, I'm 31 and I can count the number of times I have actually required a tie on one hand; it's definitely not a skill that I would expect to have 'at my age' because it's not a thing I need to do on a regular basis. I don't go to that many formal funerals and weddings, and while I do dress up, a lot of the people my age getting married don't expect me to wear a tie either judging from how few I've seen at them.

You don't have to wear a tie to weddings. You can wear sneakers and khakis and an untucked shirt. Or grey slacks and a tucked in shirt. It doesn't matter. If you're trying to dress up, ties look better. You're still free to look bad if you want. Nobody's gonna make you look better if you don't want to. But you will. With a tie and jacket.

Knowing how to tie a tie and not look like poo poo in a suit when you're 31 isn't, like, society's pressures on you, man. It's normal. You should know how to do it. In the same way as you should know how to unhook a bra and zip up a dress for your date and not to wear black suits on most occasions or... Maybe you should read first page of the fashion section in "How to Archer".

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I came in early to make sure I got here before my new boss. My original boss shows up, upset. Why? He didn't want to be moved. He said he'd told the HR VP he needed at least another week to vacate his office. I'd emailed the HR VP Sunday evening after I was done moving the old boss and his assistant and she didn't reply.

So this morning I had to move the old boss back pronto, and his assistant too. I have to set the new boss up for a week where the old boss is going to move, and then move all three on the weekend because my original boss stays until at least 10pm on Friday nights.

The HR VP dropped by just now and literally said "Oops" as the full extent of her apology. These people are all idiots.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dick Trauma posted:

I came in early to make sure I got here before my new boss. My original boss shows up, upset. Why? He didn't want to be moved. He said he'd told the HR VP he needed at least another week to vacate his office. I'd emailed the HR VP Sunday evening after I was done moving the old boss and his assistant and she didn't reply.

So this morning I had to move the old boss back pronto, and his assistant too. I have to set the new boss up for a week where the old boss is going to move, and then move all three on the weekend because my original boss stays until at least 10pm on Friday nights.

The HR VP dropped by just now and literally said "Oops" as the full extent of her apology. These people are all idiots.

What a dumb situation. Your old boss didn't want to be moved in the first place and all this extra trouble is basically passive aggressive posturing. Let me guess, he didn't want to move because he wasn't "ready". Who gives a poo poo.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I'm the one stepping into the tar pit on this one by posting regarding ties. I have slacks, tie, shirt, and blazer hanging in my office. Sometimes there's a meeting where you want to look good, and sometimes you want to look really good.

I will get guff for wearing a tie any time I do, but it's because I want to look like a professional, and I have myself in order. If I showed up to change your toner and paper in a tie all the time, I'd maybe question if you're overdressed, but better over than under.

Wearing a tie is not a bother when your clothes all fit. The collar on your shirt isn't giving you a 3rd chin, your shirt isn't ballooning up like a parachute, your tie's the right length, etc. It's an accent like anything else. :wom:

Partycat fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 2, 2014

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Going to a client site tomorrow for the first time, dressed to the loving nines

How do you do, HR ladies. Let's hang out by the water cooler and discuss [not computers] sometime

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Sir_Substance posted:

Generally, I try to use my own equipment anyway, because it's set up the way I like. If I can't, I ask for local admin. If it's refused, that's fine.

When I need Valgrind installed, I'll post a ticket for it, and then I'll play games on my phone while I wait for it to be installed, and I will continue billing you while I do it. I'm here at your request, doing the work you ask, and I will definitely follow your procedures and policies, but dealing with your bullshit isn't a free extra.

Perhaps if you actually wore a tie at clients you'd get local admin more often?

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

If you think a tie is useless you clearly don't know how to wear one properly or look horrible either way. :smug:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

We are the corporate part of our hospital system and our dress code is, director level or below, tie/dress shirt/dress pants/dress shoes, director or above has to add a jacket. The only time we see clients/customers is the off chance we go to one our of hospitals for a site visit or meeting. I can't think of any reason one of the help desk guys would ever need to get under a desk as we are all laptops and all of our power/network ports are at desk level. Also, our server room/data center is crystal clean(our building is only 3 years old) so even if the server guys have to rack new servers, it's in an almost clean room like environment. Going from jeans/tshirts everyday at my last job to this kinda sucked at first, but for what they are paying me I won't complain. Plus I've got some kicken rad dress socks and ties!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Surprised the bow-tie and/or ascot hipsters haven't snuck out of the woodwork yet.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

Surprised the bow-tie and/or ascot hipsters haven't snuck out of the woodwork yet.

We have one guy who wears a bow-tie here and he can def pull it off, it's not for everyone though!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
What's the consensus on waistcoats?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Two types of people can wear bow ties - the top 2% handsome, and the top 2% cool. Are you sometimes spoken of as "that guy who looks like George Clooney"? Were you wearing mountie hats long before Pharrell tried to make it a thing? You may qualify for a bow tie. Everyone else, move along.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

I dress nicely to work purely to NOT look like I work in IT. It also makes me feel pretty.

mattfl posted:

We have one guy who wears a bow-tie here and he can def pull it off, it's not for everyone though!

Is he black? He's probably black, right?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Fil5000 posted:

What's the consensus on waistcoats?

If you're wearing a waistcoat without a jacket for any other reason than "my jacket is on that coat hanger or the back of my chair", it's not good. Waistcoats are not standalone garments. Anybody wearing a waistcoat with jeans or an untucked shirt deserves to have it set on fire while they're wearing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

evol262 posted:

If you're wearing a waistcoat without a jacket for any other reason than "my jacket is on that coat hanger or the back of my chair", it's not good. Waistcoats are not standalone garments. Anybody wearing a waistcoat with jeans or an untucked shirt deserves to have it set on fire while they're wearing it.

QFT