Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

In all seriousness, if any of you are considering wardrobe changes for work or whatever, go to YLLS first for some advice if you aren't fashion inclined. Otherwise you might end up wearing pleated pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

internet jerk posted:

I dress nicely to work purely to NOT look like I work in IT. It also makes me feel pretty.

Is he black? He's probably black, right?

No, he's a short chubby white guy, but has the personality to pull it off. The few black guys who do work here, now that I think about it there are like 10 maybe, in a company of 500, all dress pretty nicely.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Inspector_666 posted:

What do you wear to funerals and weddings?

His sweet sweet fedora, obviously.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Scaramouche posted:

Surprised the bow-tie and/or ascot hipsters haven't snuck out of the woodwork yet.

We have bow tie wearers, all seem to be graduates of UVA. It's like a thing with them.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

When you said waistcoat I was thinking of like tying a Starter jacket around my waist with the sleeves like I did in elementary school. lol.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't want to be wearing formal clothing while crawling around under someone's desk looking for a cable. I wore one of my nice custom shirts today and wound up humping dirty boxes around. It's just not appropriate for the work I have to do.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
To clarify, when I poked the bear on this one I wasn't suggesting that ties are necessarily appropriate attire for your job. If you do a lot of crawling under desks, skip it! I usually don't wear one at work unless I have a big meeting or whatever. But you should know how to tie one. By the time you finish college, or are of age to have done so, this is just a thing you are expected to know. It is important because when situations that call for one do crop up, you need to be able to dress yourself. It's that simple.

This is also highly variable by region. I am from, and live on, the east coast. If you showed up to a job interview here without a suit and tie, even for entry-level work, you would be laughed out of the room. I have friends in Colorado who take interviews in shorts. One of them tells me that when he sees suits and ties he thinks to himself "Oh, the east coast people are in town."

guppy fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 2, 2014

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't want to be wearing formal clothing while crawling around under someone's desk looking for a cable. I wore one of my nice custom shirts today and wound up humping dirty boxes around. It's just not appropriate for the work I have to do.

Is your dick okay?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm guessing the current status is: traumatised.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

stuxracer posted:

When you said waistcoat I was thinking of like tying a Starter jacket around my waist with the sleeves like I did in elementary school. lol.

Glad I wasn't the only one! I was styling in that Starter jacket. 'Phins up. :smug:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I see your tie wearing shenanigans, and raise you the difference between male and female "Smart Dress" code.

As for gripes, there should be a requirement for people who use laptops to understand the basic mechanics of computing, one such lady who I'd class as the worst user (Who is also the best bug tester) keeps claiming her laptop "doesn't work". It'll log in fine with her local profile when away from an internet connection, I've written simple instructions about how to connect to the internet at home, I've even tethered it to her work iPhone and made activation a click of a button... but nope, no dice. Maybe it's time to propose mobile internet dongles and bolt them onto the side.

Also the complaints (Feedback) I've heard about improving the CRM lead me to expect that users think it's supposed to replace Windows and MS Office altogether and create documents on its own, the day we ever get a bespoke CRM built fills me with mortal dread (If I'm still around that is).

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Super Slash posted:

the day we ever get a bespoke CRM built fills me with mortal dread (If I'm still around that is).

Every CRM is bespoke in my experience since Sales/Marketing people have to be seen to be doing something new and special. We have SFDC and there is a 3 million character limit for custom Apex code. Last year we paid a poo poo ton to have it pushed up to 5 million and we are already 90% into that so with all the other customisations that are being asked for will have to pay more again. All this with a solution that is marketed as "No Software".

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

I forget what it's like to have a dress code at work. The past few jobs have been very relaxed -- I'm sitting here in jeans, sneakers, and a band tee. I don't know if I'd apply anywhere that had a serious dress code. Yeah, climbing under desks and rewiring closets in a suit and tie sucks, but know what sucks more? Having to wear a suit and tie in hot weather every loving day of the summer.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Fairly high level long-term manager resigned. Her staff returned her 6 month old laptop to me. Broken screen! Two dents on the lid. It clearly did not happen during shipping. I notified HR so they can do nothing about it.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
We did a file server migration this weekend. We get a ticket from administration saying that their Xerox isn't scanning to their scan folder. Co-worker starts loving around and changing settings without bothering to talk to me first. Now I don't know what the gently caress he's changed and I'm likely going to have to dig around and un-gently caress everything. Goddamn these people.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

tomapot posted:

Because when I tear it off and tie my wife to the bedpost it gets her hot. Since I'm working from home now I have to go fumble for them in the closet so it doesn't have the same dramatic effect.

We just keep a tray filled with hemp rope beside the bed for this purpose, however if you have that kind of relationship you could try making her go find them and lay them out ready to use while you get ready elsewhere, builds up the anticipation that way.

Super Slash posted:

I see your tie wearing shenanigans, and raise you the difference between male and female "Smart Dress" code.

There's only two women who work in this place, and I work from home 99% of the time, so management never even bothered to write one. Last time I turned up in the office I just wore this and no-one gave a poo poo, probably too busy looking at my arse.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Spazz posted:

In all seriousness, if any of you are considering wardrobe changes for work or whatever, go to YLLS first for some advice if you aren't fashion inclined. Otherwise you might end up wearing pleated pants.

Wait a second, have you even read any of threads? I am pretty sure the "fashion" that is popular there is basically designer goodwill stuff at 1000x the price.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Spazz posted:

I forget what it's like to have a dress code at work. The past few jobs have been very relaxed -- I'm sitting here in jeans, sneakers, and a band tee. I don't know if I'd apply anywhere that had a serious dress code. Yeah, climbing under desks and rewiring closets in a suit and tie sucks, but know what sucks more? Having to wear a suit and tie in hot weather every loving day of the summer.

Does your office not have air conditioning? The only time I'm outside in my shirt/tie is the walk from the parking garage into my office which takes all of 2 minutes. And really, no one in this building, which is all IT related are climbing under desks or rewiring closets.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

mattfl posted:

Does your office not have air conditioning? The only time I'm outside in my shirt/tie is the walk from the parking garage into my office which takes all of 2 minutes. And really, no one in this building, which is all IT related are climbing under desks or rewiring closets.

Mine does. Nobody can decide on a temperature and its either freezing cold or off and hot as hell.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Last guy that tried to make me wear a tie, I told him he was a fascist and spit in his face.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Sickening posted:

Wait a second, have you even read any of threads? I am pretty sure the "fashion" that is popular there is basically designer goodwill stuff at 1000x the price.

I've read a few of them, and if you take it with a grain of salt I think a lot of people would really benefit from reading some of it.

mattfl posted:

AC during the summer and the building is kept pretty cool during the winter (preferable). I just don't like wearing a suit jacket in 95 degree weather, which is what we're experiencing in Philadelphia right now.

I worked for a financial company on a contract and the attire called for a tie and jacket when on site at HQ. The contract? Swapping every PC in the entire company. I've become conditioned against formal attire for work after ruining several nice pairs of clothes.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Spazz posted:

I've read a few of them, and if you take it with a grain of salt I think a lot of people would really benefit from reading some of it.

AC during the summer and the building is kept pretty cool during the winter (preferable). I just don't like wearing a suit jacket in 95 degree weather, which is what we're experiencing in Philadelphia right now.

I worked for a financial company on a contract and the attire called for a tie and jacket when on site at HQ. The contract? Swapping every PC in the entire company. I've become conditioned against formal attire for work after ruining several nice pairs of clothes.

Ah ok, ya that would suck. I just sit at my desk all day so I guess it doesn't bother me. I also don't have to wear a jacket either.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Former job: mom and pop computer shop. Dress code? Wear clothes.
Current gig: work at home, support a SAAS company. Dress code? Hah.
That being said, I've worked jobs with a dress code before. It was a mix between support and services (ie some days going into peoples offices, helping set up printers, etc, and then crawling around setting up labs and running cable the next). I kept some nicer "get dirty" clothes at my desk, and (with bosses permission), changed into them if I was going to get dirty. Otherwise it was slacks, a dress shirt and a tie. I look loving awesome in a tie.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

In a strange turn of events everyone involved in the office move debacle got yelled at by the CEO... except for me! :woop:

The day is still young though.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Siochain posted:

I look loving awesome in a tie.

People seem to be missing that part. I started Classy as gently caress Fridays at my mostly casual workplace to combat TGIF slacking and it owns

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:Holy poo poo tie derail is now over:siren:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Ok fine. I loving hate IP Office and I'm a chump for taking it on. So much VPN work, and it's all for special snowflakes and mission critical hardware :smith:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Roargasm posted:

Ok fine. I loving hate IP Office and I'm a chump for taking it on. So much VPN work, and it's all for special snowflakes and mission critical hardware :smith:

You're piping IP Office channels over VPN?
Or VPN users want to have a physical phone over VPN?
Or VPN users want to use softphones over VPN?

None of these things are OK, and I feel your pain. Our security firm is having a field day over the fact that Lync edge services allow us to do Softphones without VPN.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress having anything to do with telephony.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I just meant working from home given that I can't reboot the loving thing from 6a-11p every day. Thank you for the reminder to never tell management that VPNs will work for phones, though

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Don't some of the higher end Avaya desk phones have built-in VPN capability? Still a bad idea, but at least in theory the user should be able to just plug it in. The audio path will probably suck though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Avaya handsets have the shittest VPN client.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

you'd think after 2x senior admins and 1x DBA quit you might want to actually hire some people

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
The polycom on my desk used to pull firmware over the internet via tftp. Now it's http, I guess. But no vpn that I know of. It "just works".

I don't even know, man. I pity our telephony guys. Fifty percent of the company is remote and we all have hard phones on our desks plus normal sip

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

SamDabbers posted:

Don't some of the higher end Avaya desk phones have built-in VPN capability? Still a bad idea, but at least in theory the user should be able to just plug it in. The audio path will probably suck though.

I worked from home sometimes at $job-1 with an avaya 9560 using the built-in VPN client and taking phone calls all day - it worked well enough.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Thing pissing me off: Excel Power View 2013.

Yes Mr. Boss Man, I can make a pretty looking bubble chart for your monthly metrics, let me put aside all my actual server work and do this for you! Incomplete data sets? No problem!

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Tailored Sauce posted:

Thing pissing me off: Excel Power View 2013.

Yes Mr. Boss Man, I can make a pretty looking bubble chart for your monthly metrics, let me put aside all my actual server work and do this for you! Incomplete data sets? No problem!

Make poo poo up or blow those metrics to hell by dividing by zero.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

What do you wear to funerals and weddings?

Those fall under the category of "special case". I wear a suit to both without malice, although whether the suit includes a tie depends on the style of suit I pick, and is more likely to include a tie at a funeral then a wedding.

nitrogen posted:

Because I meet with customers on occasion, and it helps to not look like a slob when a customer is spending a few million dollars a month with your company?

Well, that depends on whether I think the customers judge on appearance. As previously stated, if I think they do then yeah, I'll wear a tie (with a pre-tied knot) just for them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

gently caress having anything to do with telephony.

I support Avaya products and I approve of this message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I support Avaya products and I approve of this message.

I work for a telephony software company and I also approve this message