Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Sandstone 17, the 549th year of the Rhythmic Ropes and the 18th year of Queen Tobul Bellyells
Oiledgorged, current capital of the Rhythmic Ropes

A figure dressed in the purple and black cloak of the Administrators guild walked slowly through the Hall of Rulers, on his way to an important meeting. He looked at some of the statues in the halls.

There was Deler Bridgenotched, the founder of the Reeded Ropes, who gave his life in 11 fighting Acithe Pussplashes the Dungs of Spray, the Forgotten Beast who decided to take Authoredcopper, the First City, as its lair.

There were the two human rulers, Meng Gildspirits and Kadol Racklanced, who came from Glazetraded, the fortress which offered protection to a small human hamlet displaced by the constant civil wars of their former civilization.

And then there was Dodok Bellslore, who turned her back on her civilization in 39 to join a vile confederation of necromancers in Basesboot. As such, the face on her statue was carved off in a superstitious move, due to the belief that Dodok could possess anything bearing her image.

"And to think she still walks the Realm of Oracles," the dwarf said to himself, shivering while walking into the meeting room.

"Guildsdwarf DannyGlands, you are late," proclaimed the Grand Master of the Administrators Guild as soon as she saw him approach.

"I'm sorry, I had to wait for..."

"I don't care for your excuses, Guildsdwarf. You are to arrive promptly when asked!"

"Yes, Grand Master," the more junior dwarf replied insincerely.

"Now, I understand you've voted against my son gaining full membership in the Guild. I have a letter here you sent to another guildsman saying, quote, 'he lacks the ability to lead any group, even if the group is him alone.' Now, I'm not bitter about that at all."

"Of course you aren't, Grand Master..." DannyGlands responded. He guessed his friend was now languishing in the jailfor the mere offense of holding an "offensive" letter, even if the only thing offensive about it was that it did not paint the Grand Master's son in a positive light.

"Now on an unrelated note, the Council has authorized a mining expedition to The Virtuous Swamp. We have a site set up alongside Nastylards Stream. You are to join them. You leave the first of the new year, and I will send some dwarves to see you off."

---

The Journal of DannyGlands, Granite 15 550
So when the Grand Bitch said she'd have someone see me off, what she really meant is that she would send hammerdwarves to my room to throw me onto a wagon in the middle of the night. It's been two weeks of travel and we've finally made it to the area called Fogwall. The journey was rough -- this wagon is obviously garbage -- too rough to reasonably write anything down. But now that we're at a stop, I can write freely.

I've included dossiers on myself and the six others assigned to this "mining expedition":

Most of them seemed to have been forced on this expedition for the same reason I was: somehow insulting the mad Grand Master of the Administrator Guild. She had probably intended for us to die out in this fetid swamp, but we had smuggled some supplies with us. We will defy the bitch, and we will thrive here... in FOGWALL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Welcome to the DF14 LP, Fogwall. This is the first Let's Play on the SA forums for the new Dwarf Fortress (more information on this in the Games thread)

No "dwarf me" posts!
There is a sign up sheet for those who want to be dwarfed, which fills out this spreadsheet.

How to become the next overseer
This is a succession game, which means control of the fortress will be handed off to a new player every 1st of Granite (when the game announces that spring has arrived). When one player's turn ends, I will open up a call for overseers and randomly select a respondent in the thread. Overseers are expected to give updates in 48-hour intervals at the most. This is to keep the game moving swiftly.

Other thread rules
If you are an overseer and an unforseen circumstance forces you to be away from the fort, please post your latest save so I can pick a new overseer and avoid writing time paradoxes and the sort by reverting to the old save. An overseer taking over for one that leaves before the year is over can play the remainder of the current year plus one bonus year if they so choose.

Small constructive posts providing advice to the current overseer are welcome; backseat overseeing is not. Don't fill up the thread with advice posts.

As always with DF LPs here, fan art and journal entries, as well as other contributions, are welcome.

Gods of the Rhythmic Ropes

• Sazir, female dwarf: minerals, jewels, wealth, and trade
  • Mestthos, female dwarf: fortresses
  • Lurit the Diamonds of Gold, male wolverine: mountains, metal, and fire
  • Onul Mistyauras, male dwarf: lies and darkness
  • Shilrar, female dwarf: marriage
  • Oth Whispernight the Impervious Cave, male dwarf: mist
  • Atol, male dwarf: art and inspiration
  • Rulush the Heavenly Clam, female dwarf: rain
  • Dur Fangprince, female dwarf: generosity, war, and valor
  • Gadan, male dwarf: happiness
  • The Furnaces of Sizzling, male dwarf: Volcanoes
  • Rilem the Fair Bud, male dwarf: birth and balance

DannyGlands

symuun

Veloxyll

Spanish Matlock

Epee Em (non-canon)

ninjewtsu

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 31, 2014

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Non-overseer updates and other fan articles

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 8, 2014

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
In on the ground floor!

Also, did you pick my dorf or did you randomly select one with good willpower and focus, but poor ability at words?

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Rhythmic Ropes makes me think of double dutch. I'm excited!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So what's the plan re:updates to dwarf fortress during the course of the LP?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

NewMars posted:

So what's the plan re:updates to dwarf fortress during the course of the LP?

I'm running this off the DF starter pack so updates, assuming save compatibility doesn't break, will be handled by the updater batch file the starter pack guys provide.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Does StoneSense work yet in this version? I don't use it myself but it would be cool to get a 3d picture of the landscape that the fort will be situated on. Assuming that cliff isn't just 1 zlevel high.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OMG I'm in the first group. I get to die immediately! :neckbeard:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Spanish Matlock posted:

Does StoneSense work yet in this version? I don't use it myself but it would be cool to get a 3d picture of the landscape that the fort will be situated on. Assuming that cliff isn't just 1 zlevel high.

If I can get the save at some point. I can make a 3rd render of the terrain.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Is there any description for Dodok Bellslore (from the intro)? Physical, that is.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I am eagerly looking forward to chaos and madness.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Lurit the Diamonds of Gold, male wolverine: mountains, metal, and fire
Onul Mistyauras, male dwarf: lies and darkness
Oth Whispernight the Impervious Cave, male dwarf: mist
Dur Fangprince, female dwarf: generosity, war, and valor
Gadan, male dwarf: happiness

This seems like a pretty cool pantheon. I like how we have this dude with a really long name whose domain is solely 'mist', and then we have Gadan, the Happy God. Also, Fangprince the lady goddess of war and valor, another god with mist in his name who covers lies and darkness, and our smithy god is a wolverine.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
Makes sense, they know all about Adamantium after all :D.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Something awful and dwarf fortress LPs. They keep getting back together after their breakups.

Ready to carve my way through swarms of goblins only to die to some swamp disease.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I've seen plenty of these, but I've never actually had a dwarf to represent me. Here's hoping my dorf doesn't meet an end that's too gruesome.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I've never seen one from the beginning, and I hope this is going to be a fun ride.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I love that pantheon. Can't wait to see where this will go.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Lost track of the last couple, but think I'll try to follow this again!

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

AfroSquirrel posted:

Lurit the Diamonds of Gold, male wolverine: mountains, metal, and fire
Onul Mistyauras, male dwarf: lies and darkness
Oth Whispernight the Impervious Cave, male dwarf: mist
Dur Fangprince, female dwarf: generosity, war, and valor
Gadan, male dwarf: happiness

This seems like a pretty cool pantheon. I like how we have this dude with a really long name whose domain is solely 'mist', and then we have Gadan, the Happy God. Also, Fangprince the lady goddess of war and valor, another god with mist in his name who covers lies and darkness, and our smithy god is a wolverine.

Looking at 'Onul Mistyauras' and 'Oth Whispernight the Impervious Cave', it seems to me that there's lore emerging.
Possibly something about hiding The Truth in a cave no one could get into, to stop it from being discovered.
If I actually get an engraver this time I might try to elaborate later. Or I might get distracted, like I usually do. It's not very high on the list anyway.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Great pantheon, that. Sazir has responsibility for Minerals, jewels and wealth, which suggests suzerainty over Lurit, the Diamonds of Gold.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I like the concept of a goddess whose only domain is rain.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I like the concept of a goddess whose only domain is rain.

And a male god whose only domain is mist. Sibling or spouse, mayhap?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I am definitely going to try being an overseer this time.

An Esoteric Cult
Nov 12, 2010
I'm really liking that pantheon, too. Lots of room there for lore expounding, and DUR FANGPRINCE is a great name for a goddess of war and valor. Why is our smithy god a wolverine though? Unless he's Sazir's pet or something.

Dwarf Fortress is my favorite game that I'm too terrible and/or lazy to play myself, so I'm looking forward to this!

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Ground floor, hells yes. Bring on the loresplosion and madness!

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

Mlle posted:

Rhythmic Ropes makes me think of double dutch. I'm excited!

The dwarves of Fogwall are known far and wide for their jump rope prowess.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
This should be fun, and only #128 on the list, too!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
May the ground tremble under hordes of beasts.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Can't wait to see this started. Wait... I can. I still have to catch up on Bronzestabbed!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i hope everyone who hasn't looked into DF2014 yet is hype as hell to see some illegally pretty ASCII trees!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

DannyGlands' Second Entry

"It's not all flat swamp," Grey Hunter, one of the miners, told me. "Look at those cliffs to the southwest. We could start digging over there."

"Get to it," I told the miners. "We need to at least get a place for sleeping and a place to farm, out of this sun... or what we can see of it," I commented while looking at the huge trees that blanketed the place. "We could use some wood as well."

I looked at the others. "None of you are woodworkers, huh?" I said, shaking my head. "I can only tolerate sleeping on the ground for so long... it's probably the same with you guys..."

AC, the bowyer, raised her hand. "I mostly worked on wooden bows," she told me. "I can probably do other things related to wood as well."

I sighed and nodded. "All right then. Let's get started."

A few minutes later, we were fighting a alligator that decided to come out of the river.

The miners ran off scared, but the rest of us just decided to give it a good old-fashioned beat down after we decided it was mostly harmless.

Unfortunately, AC decided to end our game of "punch the reptile" with a good whack with her axe, killing it with a few blows. So it was back to work we went.

Finally, the miners began to work, digging the entrance in the root system of a tree. The miners tell me that the composition of the hall they started work on is sand in the front, and siltstone a ways back.

I will leave them to their jobs...

~~

After a while, we've managed to make a decent place to sleep, farm, store food, and make the all-essential liquor that powers the dwarven spirit.

"You know what?" I asked one of the miners. "Let's defy that bitch. Let's make Fogwall not an exile outpost but a fortress that needs no administrators guild. Let's build the best drat city the Rhythmic Ropes has ever known!"

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.
And so it begins again! Signed up for dwarfing and am looking forward to dying horribly!

Lazermaniac fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 4, 2014

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to be a battledwarf!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

StrangeAeon posted:

Ground floor, hells yes. Bring on the loresplosion and madness!

Catsplosion or bust.

Also beware of Anvils in Trees.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Veloxyll posted:

Catsplosion or bust.

Also beware of Anvils in Trees.

if this was the first couple DF2014 versions or so someone would have already climbed a tree and then fallen out, therefore mulching at least a couple of their limbs

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

c/o captain_duck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wd68MzT4I0

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'm only #136 on the list. Goons love DF, if not so much their forums or Toady himself.

N'thing the love for the pantheon. Mistyauras, god of lies and darkness made me think of a Magic 8 Ball for some reason.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

oh wow that stonesense (I assume?) multi-level rendering of the forest is gorgeous (for DF)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

RickVoid posted:

I'm only #136 on the list. Goons love DF, if not so much their forums or Toady himself.

N'thing the love for the pantheon. Mistyauras, god of lies and darkness made me think of a Magic 8 Ball for some reason.

"Mistyauras, what say you of our fortress's future!?"

• Locked thread