Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'd love for a Retina Air to come out mid-October. DSLR/Lenses take up most of my weight allowance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Now that I've gone over to the rMBP dark side, I wonder how much I could sell my 17" MBP for. I mean obviously I'll tell them that it had some GPU issues, but I never did figure out whether it was software or hardware, I just figured gently caress it time to upgrade. As soon as I'm done rsyncing my stuff to the network drive I'm going to give it a nice cleaning and reinstall Mavericks fresh. But I don't have access to Apple's hardware test, it'd be nice if I could just take it into the store and have them give the laptop a clean bill of health. It's dented to hell and back and has been through a lot, but even if someone only wants to buy it for parts... I'm sure there's still SOME value in it.

I have to admit though, I do love the 15" rMBP. I'm not sure that 512GB of storage will always be enough for me, but it's enough for now. The keyboard and trackpad are SO much nicer! I don't know what changed, but I feel like the key travel is shorter and the trackpad is more responsive. Although the fact the machine is smaller means that I have to break my habit of where I keep my palms because I'm always registering spurious inputs. And it's ridiculous how light it is.

Also, "best for retina" seems like it's too low a 'virtual' resolution, also it warns you that scaling might affect performance if you change the scaling. What option do you guys use and why?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

At work I had a 2012 15" regular MBP (i7, 16GB, 256SSD), and a 2013 11" Air (i5, 4GB, 256SSD). We got some 2013 13" Retina MBPs in (i5, 4GB, 128), and I grabbed the HD out of my air and tossed it in that. Booted up and worked without a hitch. My only complaint was that Parallels seemed to often freeze the entire thing up when I'm docked and connected to 2 external displays. Then, we got some 2014 13" retinas in (with 8GB) and I quickly traded mine in for one of those. So far, it seems like the perfect machine for your average support / admin role (at a public school district).

Conclusion : the newest base model 2014 13" retina (with a 256 thrown inside) is the perfect machine for me and my usage. I can TB dock it in the office and use my 27" imac as a primary display, and quickly bring it with me to do anything I need throughout the school district. I love this thing.

Edit : To answer Pivo's question : I always run mine at the highest supported scaling "equivalent to 1680x1050" and it runs great. It's a good deal of workable real estate for a small machine.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 1, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The best for Retina setting seems to have a super low resolution and while fine for browsing or light Photoshopping, it seems woefully inadequate for programs that really utilize huge resolutions for the UI.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It's 1280x800, right? Not even an integer divisor of 2880x1800... So I don't know why they call it "best for Retina" or why they say changing the scaling will affect performance. If it was exactly half the resolution, 1440x900, and the others weren't I could see how that might impact performance. Oh well. I'll play around with it.

My first time owning a Macbook with a glossy display though. I have to say, it's pretty nice, but I don't get that whole "wow this display is awesome" that so many people report with the rMBP. My high-res matte display on the 17" was just as nice. Sure, when I stick my face up to it, I can't see the pixels, but I don't usually stick my face right up in my laptop.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 1, 2014

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Pivo posted:

It's 1280x800, right? Not even an integer divisor of 2880x1800... So I don't know why they call it "best for Retina" or why they say changing the scaling will affect performance. If it was exactly half the resolution, 1440x900, and the others weren't I could see how that might impact performance. Oh well. I'll play around with it.

My first time owning a Macbook with a glossy display though. I have to say, it's pretty nice, but I don't get that whole "wow this display is awesome" that so many people report with the rMBP. My high-res matte display on the 17" was just as nice. Sure, when I stick my face up to it, I can't see the pixels, but I don't usually stick my face right up in my laptop.

It's exactly half on each axis as far as I know, so 1440x900 for the 15" and 1280x800 for the 13".

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ShadeofBlue posted:

It's exactly half on each axis as far as I know, so 1440x900 for the 15" and 1280x800 for the 13".

Not according to this: https://www.apple.com/ca/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

But that would make the most sense. Looks like they got them backwards on the specs page.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"2880-by-1800 resolution" seems like twice as large on each axis as 1440x900, yeah.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Pivo posted:

Not according to this: https://www.apple.com/ca/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

But that would make the most sense. Looks like they got them backwards on the specs page.

It seems to me like they just aren't calling it a "scaled" resolution, because they definitely didn't get it backwards, the doubled resolutions are just missing from each list.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

"2880-by-1800 resolution" seems like twice as large on each axis as 1440x900, yeah.

If you look at the specs for the 15

quote:

Native resolution: 2880 by 1800 pixels (Retina); scaled resolutions: 1920 by 1200, 1680 by 1050, 1280 by 800, and 1024 by 640 pixels

You'll see 1440x900 isn't listed as a scale resolution. I don't really know, to be honest. Maybe since the scale is an integer divisor it's not listed as a scaled resolution since it's native-ish.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Pivo posted:

If you look at the specs for the 15

You'll see 1440x900 isn't listed as a scale resolution. I don't really know, to be honest. Maybe since the scale is an integer divisor it's not listed as a scaled resolution since it's native-ish.

They're just not being clear about it - the looks-like-1440x900 is the "native" option, and it's what you'll get if you select "best for retina." You can't go outside hiDPI mode without third-party tools.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

SourKraut posted:

The 17" is heavy by the standards of the Air and rMBPs, but compared to many/most of the equivalent PC portables of the time, not so much. Hell, transporting my Dell M4800 with power break (work) makes the 17" MBP look like an Air by comparison.

Yeah, it doesn't bother me all that much, all I'm saying is that it's noticeably heavier than the 15" rMBP.

ShadeofBlue posted:

They need to hurry up and make a 17" rMBP

I'd probably go for that (but also keep the 11" MBA - I like the right tools for different situations :)).

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Anyone have a fix for the A2DP bluetooth music streaming quality issues (stuttering/crackling) on the MacBooks? It's driving me insane.

I get a lot of results on Google, but nothing seems to work.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I definitely got the 15" partly for the screen size. I really don't use the computing power (though I run a Windows VM at work, basically to print, and it's nice to have that fly. Also why I didn't go for the discrete GPU) but when I'm doing my budget or writing academic papers the screen real estate is a huge benefit since I want several windows up and visible. I replaced a 2007 24" iMac and 2009 13" MBP with it and don't regret it at all. It's lighter and thinner than the old 13", so the size doesn't bother me at all.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's the procedure on chargers with AppleCare? Do they put a hold on your credit card, send you a replacement charger, and have you send the frayed one back in the same box?

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004
Ugh, my early 2011 MacBook Pro 15" is showing all the signs of a graphics card failure. Besides emailing Tim Cook has anyone here had any luck with Apple acknowledging the issue and doing an out of warranty swap? This looks like a repeat of the nvidia 8600 fiasco.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Welcome to the club! Mine failed four times in warranty before they finally swapped it for an early '13. Your chances of getting an out-of-warranty swap are a combination of how far out of warranty it is and how sympathetic the genius is, if it's just out of warranty I'd just lie and say it was exhibiting symptoms during coverage because a) gently caress Apple for not issuing a recall and b) the stores are all aware it's a lemon at this point.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's kind of mystifying why they don't nail AMD for basically doing the same thing that nVidia did, which was to sell them bad GPUs, but it could be because AMD is the only supplier of GPUs for the new Mac Pro.

Maybe they don't want to piss off the only major GPU manufacturer that bothered to make a custom PCIe GPU card for them that ALSO has an onboard SSD connector. Because if you ever open up a Mac Pro, that's where your SSD has to connect to, a socket right on the graphics card.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
You can do some hackery to get 13" running hidpi 1920x1200 so you get a bunch more screen space without needing the 15" :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was just about to ask what manner of software I need to achieve the high resolutions on my rMBP. I likely won't use anything other than the stock resolutions it lets me pick, but it's handy to be able to switch to XXXXTREME hi res mode if necessary.

Finally get my grubby paws on my 13" tomorrow. Long weekend hosed me, deliverywise :argh:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Martytoof posted:

I was just about to ask what manner of software I need to achieve the high resolutions on my rMBP. I likely won't use anything other than the stock resolutions it lets me pick, but it's handy to be able to switch to XXXXTREME hi res mode if necessary.

Finally get my grubby paws on my 13" tomorrow. Long weekend hosed me, deliverywise :argh:

Switchresx

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DaNzA posted:

You can do some hackery to get 13" running hidpi 1920x1200 so you get a bunch more screen space without needing the 15" :q:

How do you do this?

I am using 2040 x 1280 on my 13" but it's not hidpi

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I also like Pupil

http://www.pupil.io

I like that fact that it lives in the menu bar and not System Preferences. It's $5 but has a 2 week trial.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

snip

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I just tried switchresx and pupil but can't seem to enable 1920 x 1200 hidpi on either of them, I used the little free app Retina Display Manager to enable 2040 x 1280 and that too is unable to do hidpi at anything higher than 1080

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's dumb that you need to buy an app for this but I'm pretty happy with Switchresx so far

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

FCKGW posted:

I also like Pupil

http://www.pupil.io

I like that fact that it lives in the menu bar and not System Preferences. It's $5 but has a 2 week trial.

Bleh. Pupil feels like they ran away with my money after their flashy website was made and blogged about. Had a few bugs/feature suggestions for them that they said would be fixed/updated in the next version.

Guess what hasn't been updated since their money grab...

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
pupil doesn't really seem to offer any more than Retina Display Manager which is free

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

How do you do this?

I am using 2040 x 1280 on my 13" but it's not hidpi

SwitchResX with a custom resolution of 3840x2400 with scaling should do the trick.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JFairfax posted:

I just tried switchresx and pupil but can't seem to enable 1920 x 1200 hidpi on either of them, I used the little free app Retina Display Manager to enable 2040 x 1280 and that too is unable to do hidpi at anything higher than 1080

Maybe this?

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/display-menu/id549083868?mt=12

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I like QuickRes as it's only $4 at the moment and has Profiles and hotkeys.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DaNzA posted:

SwitchResX with a custom resolution of 3840x2400 with scaling should do the trick.

Oooohhhh this appears to be working and it is rather lovely... Hopefully the performance isn't too choppy.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My mom just got my dad his first Mac, a 21.5" iMac (not the cheap one they just released, the $1300 model). I've been using mac laptops for 10+ years and will be helping him out with any questions he has, is there anything special about the iMac I should know? I already got him an external optical drive so he can rip & burn CDs. Is picking up Apple Care worth it for the iMac? I imagine if anything goes bad on one of these, its going to be an expensive fix.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what you should know is that he should return it and get something with an SSD. Thank you.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I don't think a SSD is really necessary for my dad to do email, fantasy football, and putting songs on his iPhone, but thanks for the tip.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Toebone posted:

I don't think a SSD is really necessary for my dad to do email, fantasy football, and putting songs on his iPhone, but thanks for the tip.
Not necessary, true, but it is about the one piece of hardware that will actually result in a noticeable (by your dad) performance increase for those tasks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a little crazy that a $1300 desktop doesn't have an SSD and in fact has a 5400rpm laptop drive. I tried it out at an Apple Store and it is shockingly slow. Just turning on iPhoto or Safari takes forever.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I have to do software development on a 5 year old Mini with a 5400rpm drive, guys. You could always have it worse.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I work on a Windows 7 machine at work with 2gb of ram and a 5400rpm hard drive.

Somehow I have edited video on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Devs at my old job (in the year of our lord 2014) had to use 4GB AMD A6 machines with 250GB spinners. Ugh.