Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

So they say that off-roading damages the desert ecology, but then they have Captain Planet do more damage himself by creating an artificial spring that creates a patch of quicksand, they prove themselves wrong by invoking a sandstorm which probably picked up far more topsoil than any vehicle could, and then a desert flood came in to completely reset conditions. On top of all that, Hog Greedly is operating a legal business which for all we know has all the permits necessary to run an off-road race. Has Ted Turner ever actually been camping?

Also, while Hog's arm circles are fascinating, the more I watch that gif the more concerned I grow with the expression on his sidekick's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Wheels ain't the only things squealin' in this video :v:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The Planeteers are eco-terrorists Zorak. They don't care about the law.

What I want to know is, why the hell does Captain Planet never just hang around for a little while? Just shoot the poo poo?

Is he under some sort of magical compulsion? Is existing physically painful for him? What dark secrets is Gaia hiding?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
He's got a pretty cool apartment. Rent-controlled and everything.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's worse than I feared.

I feel bad for all the people that worked really hard to avoid dating their work only to include the Soviet Union in it.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I would love to see a take on Captain Planet where the kids were afraid to summon him because he always takes it too far. "Throwing that kid into the sun for dropping ice cream on the ground." levels of too far.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

SystemLogoff posted:

I would love to see a take on Captain Planet where the kids were afraid to summon him because he always takes it too far. "Throwing that kid into the sun for dropping ice cream on the ground." levels of too far.

I always thought that would be a sensible way to take it. It could be the whole reason his power is split up between five rings and doled out to humans is because raw Captain Planet is a collateral damage machine and summoning him is a last resort.

I'm generally against "darker" reboots of things for children, but maybe a version where the Planeteers actually have to try and find a balance between human wants/needs and the health of the natural world or trying to do good when your magic power is setting things on fire would be worth having around.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Why is the monkey so small? Why are you shrinking, Monkey?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Picnic Princess posted:

Because Captain Planet cannot do scale any better than it can do anything else.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
I like how Captain Planet reminds us we can enjoy the desert without destroying it after he's destroyed an aquifer just so he can catch the bad guys with a ton of quicksand.

I hope your quicksand stunt didn't take out any saguaros, Cap; they're protected, you know! :argh:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I just want one episode where Captain Planet doesn't receive or manages to lose Heart and becomes a vengeful nature god; it would finally cut the crap with him doing all this poo poo for the sake of nature. Maybe he'd duke it out with Gaia, even! Two avatars of nature fighting for the earth.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR

tlarn posted:

I just want one episode where Captain Planet doesn't receive or manages to lose Heart and becomes a vengeful nature god; it would finally cut the crap with him doing all this poo poo for the sake of nature. Maybe he'd duke it out with Gaia, even! Two avatars of nature fighting for the earth.

As long as the remaining Planeteers are still there blithely cheering Cap on like the oblivious little vigilantes they are. "You can do it, Captain Planet! Punish the humans for their hubris!"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I am extremely disappointed that the Planeteers are all raceists.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

tlarn posted:

I just want one episode where Captain Planet doesn't receive or manages to lose Heart and becomes a vengeful nature god; it would finally cut the crap with him doing all this poo poo for the sake of nature.

You aren't the only one.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
One of the more minor things I'd like to point out: "Normally the kangaroo rat could hear that". Which is exactly why rattlesnakes do not shake their tails at prey. As an aside, kangaroo rats do live in North America. The similar animals living in Australia are called hopping mice.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Alpha3KV posted:

One of the more minor things I'd like to point out: "Normally the kangaroo rat could hear that". Which is exactly why rattlesnakes do not shake their tails at prey. As an aside, kangaroo rats do live in North America. The similar animals living in Australia are called hopping mice.

Yeah, I correct myself in the video.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm just amazed that Captain Planet managed to predict "rolling coal".

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

ElTacoGato posted:

I hope your quicksand stunt didn't take out any saguaros, Cap; they're protected, you know! :argh:

They could get Gaia to magically clone the fallen saguaros. Kinda how she magically brought that baby whale's mother back to life in that episode about whaling.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Glazius posted:

I'm just amazed that Captain Planet managed to predict "rolling coal".

Captain Planet becomes a little less funny when you realize the villains aren't quite as straw-mannish as they initially seemed. Depressingly enough, they actually seem to be the most realistic part of the show.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

The most unnerving Captain Planets episodes are the ones before he discovers boots. I dunno why, it's just... off

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

YouTube

BONUS BAT-TIME:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r9wcMGrdUc

Zorak fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 30, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Remember Nadine: All fish and coins are procure on sight.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
How dare Nadine just give away my Sonic adoptable, Cybonic the roboseedrihog.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Zorak posted:

YouTube

Geop joins us to
How...is each episode getting worse?

You...ruined so MUCH more than Hoggish ever did you loving chrome-faced SHITHEAD :cripes:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Alpha3KV posted:

Captain Planet becomes a little less funny when you realize the villains aren't quite as straw-mannish as they initially seemed. Depressingly enough, they actually seem to be the most realistic part of the show.
Jeff Goldblum's villain character has some pretty bad connotations when you think about it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
An entirely new miracle cure for marine life. Aw yeah we makin' bank off this.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

We're gonna have that million pelagos in no time with royalties from selling this miracle cure!

...Right? :downs:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

achillesforever6 posted:

Jeff Goldblum's villain character has some pretty bad connotations when you think about it.
In the most brilliant of ways that honestly make him quite terrifyingly effective for a villain. As well as Looten Plunder, and I really hope that we watch "Who Gives A Hoot?" because it actually does something very unique for Captain Planet that I really wanna see without hearing more of it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29054889

On unrelated news but still related because hey, ocean life: looks like we've discovered an entirely new branch of animal life! Probably

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

They sort of resemble chanterelle mushrooms, so I'd call them Sea Chanterelles, or maybe Jelly Chanterelles?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

YouTube

Geop joins us to get down to brass tacks on What's The Deal With Underwater Dirt. And then something incredible happens.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.
hahaha holy shiiiit

Also worth noting, regarding the Icythiosaurs, is their large eyes. Unlike modern dolphins and what not, they lacked echolocation so they had those huge eyes to see in the depths of the ocean

Also Zorak I could totally do a thing on globsters. I know far too much about why rotting chunks of whale/basking shark are confused with octopuses and plesiosaurs

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Something interesting about the Oklo natural nuclear reactor is that it may prove that the value of the alpha constant may or may not have changed in the past few billion years. It may turn out that the speed of light can change as time passes and space stretches.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Oh god I got launched back to my Oceanography classes I took last spring with this episode.

For sediments of the oceans, our prof frequently showed us this schematic

Guy loved the ocean, go out and get those cores and look at dust for a living and he actually reviewed a donut book
http://foodanthro.com/book-reviews/review-glazed-america-a-history-of-the-doughnut/
I remember also convincing him that for a last week we should head down to the Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium so one of the last things I did as a senior at IUP was go on a field trip to the zoo. :allears:

Also doing my research on trilobites made me really appreciate how useful they are in biostratigraphy, though they are not as useful as conodonts which are amazing for hardy they are. Basically they are microfossilized teeth of the earliest vertebrates (basically eel looking things judging by some very well preserved specimens) that you get from getting a hunk of rock, breaking it down with a rock grinder, putting that into acid for two week, seive what remains, dry it out in an oven, put what remains in a heavy liquid separator, then put through a demagnetizer, and then you got your vial full of rock particles that you then put on a microscope and using a paint brush that has all but one thread you try picking up the little teeth that may be the only specimen in that whole goddamn vial. I was so happy to be able to learn the process at the USGS facility in Reston. Though looking for stuff that small on a microscope does give you a huge headache.

Results can be quite spectacular though (USGS has a very old analog SEM microscope that looks like something out of a science fiction movie)

Here's my little contribution for science

That is the tailend (pygidium) of a trilobite Glaberaspis vescula (thank god it wasn't G. scoobydooi that would have been terrible to say with a straight face at my senior research presentation) and is according the my prof is the first time this species' pygdium has been photographed.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 6, 2014

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
That- wow. That was certainly something. Why doesn't the game let you go encounter the plesiosaur again after that first cut scene? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

Also, really Oceana, what are the odds that no one else will stumble upon it? People live there, people are using your maps and have already noted that mysterious shadow...

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

Sea dirt is actually pretty neat! One reason it's mainly silica and continental dust is that as particles sink to the bottom of the ocean, any and every possible bit of them that can be considered nutritious to some sort of life is eaten along the way (unless you've got a very high deposition area like a river mouth). Even after the particles hit the seabed, benthic organisms (things that live at or below the ocean floor) still try to eat them, then down below those critters are countless different species of bacteria, relying on less energy efficient and more arcane methods of creating energy from whatever's left behind. I believe we've found chemosynthetic bacteria (bacteria that rely on chemical reactions for sustenance as opposed to sunlight or eating other things) down over a kilometer into the sea floor!

In addition, where the silica comes from in the first place is the shells of plankton such as diatoms.

They take in dissolved silica in the water, make shells out of it, and then once the plankton dies the shells sink (and are not typically consumed on their own). The other main type of shell, created by plankton such as coccolithophores, is made of calcium carbonate, but in general calcium carbonate is found only in the deepest ocean sediment because ocean water (particularly in the Pacific) is too acidic, so the shells tend to dissolve before they're sedimented. It's possible that the gradually increasing acidity of the ocean is putting pressure on the organisms that create calcium carbonate shells to keep their shells structurally sound, and we think this is part of what's causing large coral die-offs as well. Ocean acidification is a problem!

Edit: achillesforever6 we had the same idea! I'm currently working on a Master's in oceanography. :3:

Rose Spirit fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 6, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rose Spirit posted:

Edit: achillesforever6 we had the same idea! I'm currently working on a Master's in oceanography. :3:
It was an interesting course, but I'm going to continue to hopefully pursue my Master's in paleo; childhood dreams and whatnot.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The Royal Tyrrell Museum up here in Alberta, Canada has parts of a 21m Shonisaurus sikanniensis on display that was found in the British Columbian mountains.

It's hard to convey the size of this thing in a single picture. If you ever find yourself in Calgary, make time for a sidetrip out to Drumheller to see this museum. it's amazing. We have an unbelievable bounty of fossils here, like the Burgess Shale, trilobite and stromatolite fossils in the mountains, plus over 50 dinosaur species out in the river valleys of the prairies. That museum showcases mostly local stuff, and it's just mind-blowing how awesome it is here.

And since we're on the topic of mosasaurs too, here's what's sitting on my shelf right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

If anyone's curious about what Geop was referencing in the beginning, we classify sediment types based on the proportion of different grain sizes in a given sample using a ternary diagram made for that purpose. The most common two I'm familiar with (and Geop can correct me on this; I focus on the critters rather than the dirt) look like this:

The grain sizes are assigned a value of phi (high φ = tinier grains) based on a scale that was invented almost a century ago:

The whole process is more fun and less complicated than it sounds. Basically you throw your sample into a big machine which amounts to a stack of containers covered by different-sized filters. You turn it on and it vibrates back and forth until the smallest particles settle in the lower containers and the biggest in the upper ones, and then you can weigh the different containers to find the proportions. Then you consult the ternary diagram. Simple.

For oceanographic purposes, getting the samples is another fun part. A couple years ago I was working with a crew looking at how large stingrays selected habitats by capturing them and then collecting substrate from the site. We dropped in something that looked like a claw on a long cable which had a spring-activated release on the top. A big bullet-shaped piece of lead (called a messenger), through which the cable was threaded, moved freely up and down the line. We'd lower the claw to the bottom while holding the string and the messenger, then throw the messenger down as hard as possible so it would strike the release and the claw would snap shut and grab a big hunk of sea floor. Many people do coring which involves vibrating a tube into the sand to get a snapshot of sediment layers but I've never really done that.

Mecheon posted:

Also Zorak I could totally do a thing on globsters. I know far too much about why rotting chunks of whale/basking shark are confused with octopuses and plesiosaurs
I love that page so much.

Great in-game flavor text too. "It was also said to be the remains of a basking shark, but nobody knows for sure." Yeah okay.

The people who think the Zuyo Maru carcass was a plesiosaur are the same people who think Megalodon still exists.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 6, 2014

• Locked thread