Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Gavok posted:

How did you not mention the most infamous part of that whole show, the commentary?

Isn't it 1994 that gets poo poo on for that? I haven't watched 95 in ages and don't recall anything worse than the norm for that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Isn't it 1994 that gets poo poo on for that? I haven't watched 95 in ages and don't recall anything worse than the norm for that era.

Whoops, you're right. For years, I've merged those two in my head as the ultimate terrible King of the Ring show.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

When you order a ppv are you looking for:
- A Savio Vega match
- Shawn Michaela going 15 minutes with Kama?
- another Savio Vega match?
- a kiss my foot math with Jerry Lawler and Bret Hart, complete with terrible foot makeup?
- The Undertaker jobbing to...Mabel?
- Another loving Savio match?
- a tag match main event, with nothing on the line?

Well if you're looking for this, then the 1995 King if the Ring is for you! And if that's not enough track down the pre-game show where you can get another Savio match absolutely free! Order now on the WWE network for only $9.99!

The funniest part is how I remember everyone was *so enthused* that Undertaker was going to rightfully trounce his way through this tourney and win it all. Whoops.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

StarkRavingMad posted:

You had Dreamer rejecting EMT help and literally crawling offstage after a chokebomb by Khali.

Man, what a show.

I feel that Tommy dreamer being the bravest and stupidest loser in all of wrestling is one of the most consistent things in history.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The Savio Vega/Steve Austin one is the only "Well it wasn't TOTALLY terrible" strap match.

I think that was just a legitimately good match.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

DeathChicken posted:

The funniest part is how I remember everyone was *so enthused* that Undertaker was going to rightfully trounce his way through this tourney and win it all. Whoops.

They were really hesitant to do face vs face matches in this era, but this tourney could have had Shawn vs Undertaker in it. Instead they used the tourney to build up Mabel so that he could be fed to Diesel, and to give a Rocky Balboa push to a guy who had a gimmick of Razor Ramon's lackey.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
What TNA show had Silent Night, Bloody Night

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

ayn rand hand job posted:

What TNA show had Silent Night, Bloody Night

I think that was on Impact

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The Savio Vega/Steve Austin one is the only "Well it wasn't TOTALLY terrible" strap match.

No, that match ruled, especially since the one you see is the second one they did and they had beat the poo poo out of each other 2 days ago so they really looked like hell at the end.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Yeah that strap match was the one at Beware of Dog that they did in the dark because of a power cut, iirc.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

Has there ever been a non garbage strap match ?

Vader vs. Sting is a legitimate classic. Probably the best singles match of Sting's career, and arguably up there in Vader's career.

flashy_mcflash posted:

1996 is The Alliance To End Hulkamania mess.

The main event was terrible, but that show had a must watch Regal/Finlay match.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

flashy_mcflash posted:

1998 is, at best, forgettable and is probably the best Uncensored just by not being forthrightly offensive. There is probably some poo poo here I'm forgetting but it's not in the league of the other lovely Uncensoreds.

This is actually one of my favorite post-nwo WCW PPVs. DDP/Raven/Benoit and Jericho/Malenko are great payoffs to fun feuds. Sting actually defended the title on PPV one time after chasing it for over a year. Booker/Eddie, Hennig/Hart, Juvi/Konnan were all solid matches. Hogan/Savage was a clusterfuck main event, and Nash/Giant had a horrible botch, but I don't think it ruined the show. I would give this card a B or a B-, certainly above WCW's average output in their last five years.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Sprecherscrow posted:

Vader vs. Sting is a legitimate classic. Probably the best singles match of Sting's career, and arguably up there in Vader's career.

Easily Sting's best match that did not have Flair in it.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

mkay0 posted:

I disagree. Wargames '92 was probably Sting's best match ever.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

mkay0 posted:

No such thing as a bad Sting/Muta match. Unless they had one today. But that wouldn't be bad, it would be sad.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Pariah Rex posted:

1. Meng v Hacksaw Duggan in a MARTIAL ARTS MATCH yes Hacksaw Jim Duggan in a a MARTIAL ARTS MATCH.

this match is how I learned that they banned shoes from MMA because too many motherfuckers were taking them off and using them as flails.

Also that they desperately needed Tank Abbott for a technical advisor.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

While not the worst of the worst, Survivor Series 1991 deserves dishonorable mention. The in-ring stuff is mostly pretty decent, but it fails in various other ways.

One of the big matches is originally Sid Justice/Big Boss Man/LOD vs. Jake Roberts/IRS/Natural Disasters. Sid busted up his arm in the weeks leading up to the show, taking him out of the match, so he started a campaign to get Randy Savage reinstated. Savage/Jake was a hot angle, so this was going to be a perfect way to bring Savage back into the fold. Savage was reinstated and on the last Superstars before the PPV, Jake attacked him with a snake, having it bite Savage's arm.

At the beginning of the PPV, Jack Tunney announced that Savage was in no condition to perform, so he and Jake would be removed from their match. Coincidentally, Savage would be in perfect shape to compete against Jake six days later at the new PPV Tuesday in Texas. So they just cheated you out of one of the two big main events of the show for the sake of getting you to buy another PPV. Savage and Jake each got promos through the night, which included Jake wearing the silliest Christmas sweater while trying to be a sinister heel.

The first match was Piper/Bret/Virgil/Bulldog vs. Flair/Dibiase/Mountie/Warlord. Tons of great workers and a good enough match with really iffy booking. It went on forever with only two eliminations. Then everyone started brawling in the ring and everyone was disqualified, except for Flair, who got knocked out of the ring before the referee's decision.

Next was a midcarder match where the face team did a clean sweep. Nothing special, but nothing offensive.

Hogan fought Undertaker, which gave us the infamous Tombstone-on-a-chair finish that shows why Hogan's a piece of poo poo. It had an acceptable ending where Undertaker won via cheating and interference, but Jack Tunney immediately said that there would be a rematch This Tuesday in Texas! The commentators keep trying to push this sudden PPV that was only announced an hour and a half ago.

Now it's Rockers/Bushwackers vs. Nasty Boys/Beverly Brothers. This is the last PPV before the Rockers split and they do a spot to build on that. Michaels picks up one of the Nastys for a bodyslam, accidentally hits Jannetty while doing it, then gets rolled up for a pin. They have an argument and Michaels leaves in a huff. A great spot to hint the breakup, except it somehow completely went over the commentators' heads. They don't notice the bodyslam spot or the fact that Michaels got pinned. They just made a big deal about how Michaels was angry at his partner for no reason and is now getting himself counted out.

That brings us to the main event. After various 4-on-4 matches and the very first title match at a Survivor Series, we end the show with a 3-on-3 match filled with midcarders because the two important dudes were pulled for a lovely PPV nobody cares about. It ends with LOD kicking the poo poo out of IRS.

Then to end the show, we get a promo from the new WWF Champion as the Undertaker tells us to go order Tuesday at Texas because it will be awesome.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
If I recall right This Tuesday in Texas also ended up being terrible as well so I guess that retroactively makes SS 1991 even worse.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Since were doing dishonorable mentions, we should probably consider In You House 5. This is the ultimate example of a bland ppv that noting of consequence happened on.

The show opened with Triple H vs Fatu. This wasn't a bad match, but it was only about 2.5 stars. Sadly, it's still the best match on the show.

The Smoking Gunns then defeated Razor and The Kid. Again, not a bad match, but nothing notable. It was mostly a backdrop for the ongoing Kid heel turn.

Goldust defeated Jannetty in one of the most boring matches possible. Dust worked really slow when he first stated this gimmick. The crowd was dead for this.

Yokozuna then fought Mabel. The crowd was into this, but after 5 minutes of nothing this ended in a double count out.

Then HBK forfeited the IC title to Dean Douglas, who proceeded to get squashed by Razor.

Finally, our main event was a boring 20 minute match with Diesel defending against the Bulldog. These 2 had no chemistry together, and the match ended in a DQ finish.

In retrospect this one really was a glorified Raw. One thing I didn't point out above is that despite taking place on Winnipeg no Canadian wrestlers were on the main card. Normally this would be merely stupid but not a huge deal, but they nicknamed this IYH "the great white north" and did nothing with that concept.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Yeah, it was 94, with Art "HOW MUCH DOES THIS GUY WEIGH?" Donovan

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

oldpainless posted:

I feel that Tommy dreamer being the bravest and stupidest loser in all of wrestling is one of the most consistent things in history.

Yeah, I suppose it's worth mentioning that before Khali stepped in, he lost to Daivari via rollup. Then, despite being booked like a pretty tough guy even if generally a loser, he had to sell a Khali Bomb like it literally crippled him. This was during the period when they thought they could still present Khali like a monster.

Dreamer tried to submit his resignation after this PPV and Vince didn't let him.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Lid posted:

One highlight from this story - Dana called Chael who accepted the fight, because Chael is a company man, but had previously called several other fighters who had all declined (Machida was one off the top of my head, I can't remember the others). There was however one fighter in the UFC who called Dana up by his own volition telling Dana he would fight Jones on a weeks notice.

That man was the then (relatively outside of the guys on this forum) unknown Chris Weidman, current Middleweight Champion, who told Dana he didn't fear Jones at all and when he didn't get this fight (as Jones v Weidman wouldn't have sold really) he did show his complete lack of fear by dominating Anderson Silva in two different fights anyway. Chris Weidman rules.

Weidman is just a complete beast.

Fun fact about the Jones' title defense against Chael Sonnen: after the fight ended, apparently Jones broke his big toe during the fight. Here's a GIF (Be warned, it's :nws:)
http://www.mmamania.com/2013/4/28/4277726/gif-jon-jones-breaks-toe-in-ufc-159-win-over-chael-sonnen.
If Chael Sonnen had survived that first round, he would have become the new UFC Light Heavyweight champion due to injury.

THIS SPORT.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The Wrestling Classic is like the Pete Best of 80's WWF PPVs. Coming out in-between Wrestlemanias 1 and 2, the idea was for a one-night, 16-man tournament plus a Hogan vs. Piper title match. Considering there's a bye in the tournament due to a double count out, that means 15 matches throughout the show. The matches are so short (Hogan/Piper is 7 minutes and the finals is the longest at 9 minutes) that when you add them together, you get about an hour of in-ring action. For fifteen matches.

In the quarterfinals, Junkyard Dog beats Moondog Spot within a minute. There's no referee out there. JYD counts the pin himself and it counts just because.

The finals makes no sense in terms of storytelling. Despite Wrestlemania 4's problems, the main event worked. Savage was up against Dibiase, who got a bye. Savage was the face against overwhelming odds and won because that's a good story. At the Wrestling Classic, Savage is once again in the finals, having gone through three opponents. His opponent, Junkyard Dog, got a bye. Savage is the heel with Junkyard Dog as the face. Junkyard Dog wins via count out to end the show. What the gently caress?

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
WWF In Your House Degeneration X. The only PPV to happen in my city and out of the 8 matches probably 5 of them had a DQ finish. Highlights include Stone Cold driving a truck to the ring and throwing The Nation of Domination on it and The Artist Formerly Know as Golddust reads Dr. Seuss (Springfield MA is the birthplace of Dr. Seuss). That's about it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wrestlemania IX is kinda legendary as bad events go. Of course there's the main event, where Bret Hart loses the title to Yokozuna who then turns around and loses it to Hulk motherfucking Hogan who ended up leaving in June anyway. But apart from the main event it's still a total mess. There are maybe one or two solid matches in there, the rest is all gently caress finishes and tedious post-match segments. The Undertaker fights a guy dressed as a hairy naked man who seems to wrestle in slow motion, for a DQ finish; Money, Inc. retains the tag team championships against Hogan and Brutus Beefcake in a dumb mask after a fight that is just interruption after interruption; Tatanka beats Shawn Michaels via countout so that he doesn't get the belt, because they wanted him to be undefeated but had absolutely no plans for him beyond that. The only interesting part of the whole thing is the gaudy Roman decor because they were at (or rather just outside) Caesar's Palace.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Wrestlemania XI was pretty bad. It was the quintessential "New Generation" WWF Pay Per View. The old guard was gone and making more money at WCW, and Vince's new gimmicks just weren't all that over. The Kliq was also riding high. Vince had so little faith in the New Generation to carry this Wrestlemania that it was loaded with guest stars. Jonathan Taylor Thomas, the NYPD Blue guy, Jenny McCarthy, Pamela Anderson, Lawrence Taylor in a match, Salt N Pepa...all that early 1990s star power, and it STILL felt like an awful show.

Shawn Michaels vs. Diesel for the WWF championship was a good match in hindsight, but I definitely remember not caring much about it at the time.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
WrestleMania 27 deserves a mention while we are going over terrible WrestleManias.

-Sheamus/Daniel Bryan gets bumped to the pre-show with NO warning prior to the show pissing off pretty everyone who wanted to see Bryan Danielson in his first WrestleMania match. Why? So Rock could get an extra 20 minutes for his promo because he was the host of the event.
-The World Heavyweight Title match is the curtain jerker (the gently caress?) and instead of ADR (WWE was in the middle of pushing him HARD as a top heel) naturally winning the title Edge retains it then retires like the following week.
-Cody Rhodes defeated Rey Mysterio in the best match of the night and it was your typical PPV filler match
-The big 6-Man Tag Team match which actually had legit build lasted like 90 seconds for no good reason
-Randy Orton and CM Punk had a decent match
-Michael Cole had a match with Austin as ref during his obnoxious COLE MINE heel phase that only Vince loved, we didn't even get to see him eat a Stunner
-Undertaker had his WrestleMania match which was liked at the time but got surpassed by their rematch the following year. Personally, I didn't like it because it just felt like two big dudes kicking out of finishers over and over again.
-Snooki (yes, from Jersey Shore) had a match
-Finally, the main event was between The Miz and John Cena which ended in a double countout then restarted by The Rock who then interferred to set up NEXT YEAR's WrestleMania. Screw you people who spent $80 (or whatever it is in your area) that year!

Basically, the show was a total mess with The Rock taking priority over wrestling and every single match was either alright, got match time cut or was dreadful. I usually put this one in my bottom 5 WrestleManias.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 3, 2014

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

The UK PPV's WWE used to put on were usually pretty bad and/or boring, but No Mercy '99 takes the loving biscuit:

- The opener is a 1 minute Tiger Ali Singh vs Gillberg match where they botched pretty much every move, and was preceded by a slightly racist Tiger promo.
- The Brood face The Acolytes and Viscera in a match that goes about 16 hours. Gangrel makes a comeback that gets completely hosed up, Mideon does a run-in and the camera misses the finish.
- Droz faces Steve Blackman in the most heatless match ever.
- Kane and Mideon have a god awful match, entirely thanks to Mideon. Also has a poo poo no contest finish.
- Nicole Bass and Tori go 20 seconds and the only move in the match was a lovely chokeslam.
- Shane McMahon faced X-Pac in an overbooked mess that involved 2 ref bumps and both HHH and Chyna interfering numerous times.
- Mankind and Billy Gunn have an ok match but the finish got botched again.
- Main event was Austin, HHH and Taker in a 3-way. Taker could barely move I assume due to injury and literally 10 people run-in at one point. Also towards the end Taker just walks away from the match for no adequately explained reason.

Also it contains the worst performance of JR's entire career, in which he uses the words "No Mercy" literally 20 times.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I really hope we get more UFC shows in the thread. I can see how WWE shows can go to poo poo due to planning, storylines being garbage, the backstage bullshit and all, but UFC seems like it should be more straightforward and at worst you get a short underwhelming match. I honestly can't believe a UFC show was straight up cancelled.

JGKing
Dec 26, 2012

What has happened to this company?!

OldTennisCourt posted:

I really hope we get more UFC shows in the thread. I can see how WWE shows can go to poo poo due to planning, storylines being garbage, the backstage bullshit and all, but UFC seems like it should be more straightforward and at worst you get a short underwhelming match. I honestly can't believe a UFC show was straight up cancelled.

UFC 1 was quite a car crash but I think it's sort of beloved these days, kind of like an ageing relative. Some of the oddities featured include:
- The lead commentator flubbing his very first line. He sort of burps or gets possessed. It's weird.
- No time limits, no judges.
- A sumo vs a savate fighter in the very first UFC bout ever. The sumo gets a tooth kicked out.
- A boxer who fights with one glove on for some reason.
- The boxer tapping out because Royce Gracie has him on the floor and...that's it. He'd applied nothing. The boxer just tapped out because "gently caress, I'm on the floor!"
- The savate fighter vs Royce Gracie in the final. Savate dude bites Gracie's ear. Gracie keeps his chokehold on for a little while after the bell to teach him a lesson

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

JGKing posted:

- The boxer tapping out because Royce Gracie has him on the floor and...that's it. He'd applied nothing. The boxer just tapped out because "gently caress, I'm on the floor!"

He didn't even throw a punch, iirc. I remember reading a few years ago that the boxer was SO AFRAID that he'd lose his career via arm breakage that he decided "OH poo poo gently caress THIS" and tapped out with a fury

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

LvK posted:

He didn't even throw a punch, iirc. I remember reading a few years ago that the boxer was SO AFRAID that he'd lose his career via arm breakage that he decided "OH poo poo gently caress THIS" and tapped out with a fury

The boxer was Art Jimmerson, who was paid 15k for the show (for comparison Royce got 50k for winning). Jimmerson was ok but nothing special, fighting mostly out of St. Louis, and had knocked over a string of cans before getting booked for UFC. Upon signing the deal he and his team decided to actually find out what BJJ was, found a book, and came to the conclusion that unless Art could catch Royce standing at the start to tap out once he hit the ground. Not only did Art not knock Royce out, he never threw a punch.

Art only won four more times in boxing after his UFC fight and lost his last 9 fights before retiring in 2002. Wiki says he's now the boxing coach at a UFC gym, so good for him.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

JGKing posted:

UFC 1 was quite a car crash but I think it's sort of beloved these days, kind of like an ageing relative. Some of the oddities featured include:
- The lead commentator flubbing his very first line. He sort of burps or gets possessed. It's weird.
- No time limits, no judges.
- A sumo vs a savate fighter in the very first UFC bout ever. The sumo gets a tooth kicked out.
- A boxer who fights with one glove on for some reason.
- The savate fighter vs Royce Gracie in the final. Savate dude bites Gracie's ear. Gracie keeps his chokehold on for a little while after the bell to teach him a lesson

It's incredible how far the sport has come from those days. Sadly when you talk about MMA with most people even today that haven't watched a fight since then they still think it's a no holds barred deathmatch.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Justin Godscock posted:

WrestleMania 27 deserves a mention while we are going over terrible WrestleManias.

-Snooki (yes, from Jersey Shore) had a match

From what I remember, in the limited stuff they had her do, she actually wasn't too bad. She was no Mayweather, on the terms of 'people who have no business being in a wrestling ring, yet turning in good performances', but she wasn't terrible.

And now I have just defended Snooki on an internet message board. I need to re-think my life choices.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
UFC 159 is relatively infamous for it featured the aforementioned Jones v Sonnen fight that Sonnen had no right to be in and somehow would've been champion if he could have survived a round... however it is forgotten that this card was rotten to the core. In last years thread for worst fights three separate fights from this card were nominated for worst fight of the year.

First was Michael Bisping v Alan Belcher, Belcher riding a wave of victories and a high after beating Rousimar Palhares on the ground (Palhares being a legitimate mentally unstable and diagnosable... well "slow" is the polite way... who knew how to take lots of steroids and break careers with lwg locks).

What the fight was was relentlessly dull wall hugging interrupted by brief flashes of Bisping poking Belcher in the eyes. It should be noted Belcher was out of UFC for two years because he suddenly lost vision in an eye and had to have lots of operations. Bisping gouged nonetheless. The fight had to be stopped because in the third round Belcher couldn't continue after another eyepoke. The fight went to a technical decision which Bisping won.

Second was Phil Davis v Vinny Maghaelaes which was fifteen minutes of the dullest striking the UFC had seen in years. Vinny has no striking, no takedowns, no takedown defence, insanely good BJH and a glass jaw, Phil is a strong wrestler who has no formidable striking and if he can not submit you he wont even try to beat you up. So rather than grapple they spent 15 minutes tepidly throwing arm punches at each other than fleeing like it was a fencing duel. Davis ultimately landed more and thus was deemed the winner.

Third was an often overlooked fight, Ovince St Preux v Gian Gillate. This fight redefined lay and pray. OSP would shoot a takedown at the beginning of the round, get it, and lay on top until the buzzer sounded. OSP did not attempt to inflict damage and Gian seemed to be in his own world. Then round three happened. OSP had gassed himself in yhe effort of lying down and Gian saw an opening turning up the heat striking and mixing it up going for a stoppage. Then OSP poked him in the eye. Referee Kevin Mulhall asked Goan if he could see and after Gian said he couldn't he waved off the fight while Gian protested having expected time to recover. Instead OSP won a technical decision going to the judges scores. This fight sucked.

The story goes further in the best fight of the night, Pat Healy v Jim Miller. This was a fight of the year contender and an awesome scrap with Pat Healy winning awards for both fight of the night and submisdion of the night. Then Healy failed a post fight drug test, the fight was ruled a no contest, and he had to return 100k in bonus money.

Even earlier PSP favourite Rustam "The Human Suplex Machine" Khabilov had a match end quick into the first round where upon his first suplex the opponent broke his thumb landing leading to a TKO (thumb injury).

The event had some good stuff - Big Country KOing Kongo, Leonard Garcia losing a decision to the abysmal Cody McKenzie, but this overall was one of the worst PPVs in UFC history. Terrible matchmaking, injuries, cheating, dull dull dull. gently caress that card.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Lid posted:

UFC 159 is relatively infamous for it featured the aforementioned Jones v Sonnen fight that Sonnen had no right to be in and somehow would've been champion if he could have survived a round... however it is forgotten that this card was rotten to the core. In last years thread for worst fights three separate fights from this card were nominated for worst fight of the year.
I was at this event as well as this year's return to New Jersey at UFC 169 which featured a new record UFC record for a card by having 10 fights go to decision, ranging from awful (Overeem vs Mir) to completely forgettable (pretty much all the others). The only saving grace for the night was the incredible fight between Abel Trujillo and Jamie Varner which is probably still my pick for fight of the year, and thankfully Renan Barao ended Urijah Faber's night very quickly in the main event which left half the crowd complaining about an early stoppage and the rest just being happy that the card was finally over.

However, as far back as I can remember I don't think I have ever seen a PPV that I hated more than UFC 61: Bitter Rivals

The event featured Frank Mir at his absolute peak of not giving a poo poo when he went to a horrible tepid decision over lovely fighter Dan Christison after he came to the fight looking like this:

This was followed by Tito Ortiz vs Frank Shamrock II, by far the most hyped match of the night after their stint as coaches of The Ultimate Fighter in which Tito was actually a pretty good coach, while Ken Shamrock still probably holds the title for worst coach in the history of the series after he didn't even bring in a bjj coach and generally didn't give a poo poo about anyone on his team. The match ended in 78 seconds after Tito landed a few elbows and the fight was stopped at which point Ken Shamrock immediately got up and started bitching. This led to an almost immediate rematch on free TV to quell all the complaints from fans who felt cheated of a match that literally anyone who was paying attention knew could only end one way. Spoilers: Ken Shamrock got TKO'd in the first round again in the rematch

Then came the main event, Tim Sylvia vs Andrei Arlovski III. Probably the worst title match of all time, other than maybe Tim Sylvia's follow up defense against Jeff Monson. I'd post details but really almost nothing happened for 25 minutes as both fighters tepidly circled eachother. This and the Monson fight basically drove Randy Couture out of retirement since Tim Sylvia was such a loving embarrassment. I forget which fight it was but one of the defenses Randy Couture was on the announce team and was audibly annoyed throughout the whole thing.

Fentry fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 3, 2014

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It's incredible how far the sport has come from those days. Sadly when you talk about MMA with most people even today that haven't watched a fight since then they still think it's a no holds barred deathmatch.

UFC 1 hasn't got poo poo on UFC 3. Featuring threee people having to withdraw from the tournament after winning their matches, leading to the winner Steve Jennum winning the tournament without having to fight in the first two rounds. It also features noted rapist and murderer Joe Son in Kimo Leopolds corner who proceeded to act like Kimo had won the greatest victory by forcing Royce Gracie to withdraw. Also possible homeless man Harold Howard who claims that he'd be able to beat Royce Gracie on the ground who then attempts some kinda of flippy scissor kick in the main event and just falls flat on the ground.

Man, the UFC was super rough for the first couple of years. It did give us Gary Goodridge murdering a dude with elbows though and Joe Sons balls being used as a speed bag, that was pretty neat.
Still though, UFC 9 had the worst fight I've ever seen in Shamrock vs Severn.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 3, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LvK posted:

John McCarthy tells a story about being there with Art before the match and Art was like "Yeah, I got this, how's he going to get me off my feet? I'll punch him" and John goes something like "how often do you clinch in boxing, alot right?" and he's like "Yeah... and?" and John goes "well, what'd happen if the other guy wanted to do it and there was nothing stopping him" and then story goes he talked to him about how Gracie was going to break his arm and then the moment he got took down he tapped out.

edit: and the guy gettign to tooth knocked out was apparently a watershed moment backstage because all the guys were like "Yeah this is gonna be fun" and then he loses his front teeth and everyone was like "oh poo poo... this is actually real..."

Early MMA has got so many wacky stories, like when refs couldn't stop fights and John would go "Corner, check your fighter" as a hint to tell them to throw the towel in and some guy had told his corner that if they threw in the towel he'd kill them. :staredog:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 3, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I'm not sure it's fair to rank any of the early UFCs pre-title belts since they really had no idea what they were doing and it was presented more like a novelty than a legitimate sporting event. Every card was stocked with tomato cans with Xtreme specialties (sumo? bar brawler? cop???) since they hadn't transitioned into the punch and hug style that followed and defined the sport of MMA at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Bigass Moth posted:

I'm not sure it's fair to rank any of the early UFCs pre-title belts since they really had no idea what they were doing and it was presented more like a novelty than a legitimate sporting event. Every card was stocked with tomato cans with Xtreme specialties (sumo? bar brawler? cop???) since they hadn't transitioned into the punch and hug style that followed and defined the sport of MMA at that point.

This is way off topic but it's known at least the very first few UFC's existed purely as a marketing tool to show off in North America how powerful BJJ was, not to be anything else really. One of the founders of the UFC was Rorian Gracie.

• Locked thread