Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

echinopsis posted:

4960? 4690? anyway I think that's the one I got. a much nice processor: kinda wanna upgrade to 4790 i7 for those sweet hyperthreads and 100mhz jump but yeah that plus ssd and decent vid card is enough

love this unreal chat. get into details man! what tutorial you doing??

Yeah 4690 just typoed it

Yeah I have a good SSD and a decent video card so I'm good for a while hardware wise now. I'm doing the 3rd person blueprint-based tutorial from the official unreal YouTube channel. One thing that impressed me a lot was the blend spaces, they basically seem like black magic and it's super cool

Also I'm really looking forward to the marketplace since I'm not very good art wise, if there's reasonably priced stuff I think it'll be super fun to work with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't even know what blend spaces are. there are a handful of things I haven't wen touched yet, animation, particles, characters. I'm very into using/abusing the physics system to make my game run and the lock to axis in the physics works flawlessly so far

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

echinopsis posted:

I don't even know what blend spaces are. there are a handful of things I haven't wen touched yet, animation, particles, characters. I'm very into using/abusing the physics system to make my game run and the lock to axis in the physics works flawlessly so far

I'm phoneposting right now so I can't really link to it but watch the video on them, it basically takes several animations (say, standing still, walking, and running) and automatically mixes them based on some parameter (say, walking/running speed) so you get a nice continuous animation that matches your characters speed naturally. It's really smooth and I have no idea how it works

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

echinopsis posted:

my current issue is that I really want to make my game upgradeable and take advantage of the object oriemtated nature but ie realised I've done a few things and now I have to start again with them. eg it's easy to make a level or pawn and make it work but you want a second pawn do you want to have to copy and paste all those same things in again? non of course not. but I having trouble with the component hierarchy and meshes and thrusters gently caress

echinopsis now that you have this kinda first hand experience this is the perfect time to go learn some oop with that one good c# book

oop will make sense to you instead of being dumb stupid useless poo poo as it was for me for a long time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsech posted:

I'm phoneposting right now so I can't really link to it but watch the video on them, it basically takes several animations (say, standing still, walking, and running) and automatically mixes them based on some parameter (say, walking/running speed) so you get a nice continuous animation that matches your characters speed naturally. It's really smooth and I have no idea how it works

ah eys thats int he content examples. its awesome

Symbolic Butt posted:

echinopsis now that you have this kinda first hand experience this is the perfect time to go learn some oop with that one good c# book

oop will make sense to you instead of being dumb stupid useless poo poo as it was for me for a long time

which book is that? i think i "get" oop* but dont know the terminology and restrictions and best practices etc. i should do that

* ire emmebre reading a c# book years ago (2.0, that old) and it was confusing as gently caress to me for such a long time and then i realised that the type of variable that the guy was making was a variable of the type of that entire function or whatever and i was like HOLY gently caress!! and oop makes so much sense to me as an ideal but yeah i need to learn more about it.

prcedureal is clearly easily for small tasts like arduino in fact it boggles my mind how you do more complicated things with it LOL

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I think it's Essential C# that everyone agrees to be the good c# book. at least it's the one I got to read for a bit and it looked pretty great to me

later check stuff like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_pool_pattern this seems like the holy grail of game programming poo poo idk

and also read about SOLID at least to get a better feeling about oop design and then break these rules anyway

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

echinopsis posted:

prcedureal is clearly easily for small tasts like arduino in fact it boggles my mind how you do more complicated things with it LOL

avr-c is basically c with classes and whatever other subsets of the C++ libraries you can fit in your ram

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the gently caress is avr-c

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bloody posted:

the gently caress is avr-c

the c dialect that the Arduino processor runs

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

it's not like a special version of c or a fancy compiler, it's a normal gcc cross compile linked against avr provided libc for all their semi hosting features and stuff with atmel studio* and debugger friendliness.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 1, 2014

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
The Arduino "language" is just a little preprocessor that runs before AVR-GCC. It compiles as C++, not C, but it doesn't support all of C++, but only because AVR-GCC doesn't support all of C++. Having C++'s largeness on a MCU with a few kilobytes for code and a few kilobytes of RAM doesn't make a lot of sense.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 1, 2014

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Doc Block posted:

The Arduino "language" is just a little preprocessor that runs before AVR-GCC. It compiles as C++, not C, but it doesn't support all of C++.

yeah i keep trying to explain this to the CEO where i work and it just doesn't sink in, not sure wtf is wrong with his brain there

i've dug deep into some internals for some processor support for some arduino friendly boards and after the arduino layers its all standard embedded C/++ stuff

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

longview posted:

well, looking at the pictures it looks like you've got a severe lack of bypass capacitors on both the OLED and the AF board, a problem might be related to there being (seemingly) a bypass cap on the AF board, the AC current draw from the OLED system could be fed over the power and ground wiring to the AF board, voltage drop over the ground will couple directly to the input (and with that ridiculous gain it takes nothing at all)
the IC you're using is very consumer and has a lovely datasheet with no layout suggestions or troubleshooting tips like you'd expect in a TI/LTC version of the same basic IC

here's a few things you could do:

separate the ground wiring to the AF board; there's separate inputs so if the IC manufacturer intended it to be used with star grounding you could run a separate signal-reference/shield for the AF from the source
this is kind of a lovely fix, star grounding is a holdover from tube amplifiers and is a really bad habit but sometimes it works, I have a feeling it might not help in this case

as an aside, here's the deal with "signal ground" and "power ground" in anything remotely high power or high speed (ADCs, amplifiers): they're the same drat thing, the reason they're separate pins is because they need to avoid ground-bounce over the internal bonding wires in the IC
connecting them separately may actually make things much worse. also, datasheets are frequenctly written by morons (looking at you, TI, ADI).

put a differential conducted emissions filter between the OLED board and the AF board, what I actually mean is put a pi-filter in, a good low ESR electrolytic on the power-rail on the OLED board, some kind of inductor (~100µH-ish), then put a similar size cap on the AF board supply, this effectively means the AF AC current will be drawn from the AF board cap and the OLED AC current will be drawn from the OLED cap
a low value resistor might work instead of an inductor, it's more linear with frequency but DC voltage drop often rules that out

failing that, get something with less gain, I've got a pile of 5V class-D amplifier boards I bought on ebay that would be perfect for that application, they cost about $1 a piece

there's a reason I build my poo poo over a solid piece of copper ground-plane, it ensures every ground connection is effectively zero ohms even at high frequencies, if you want to really get into high speed, read LTC application note 47

well it's all done, i put bypass caps on anything with a +5v and gnd and that helped a lot, running it outside of my office also gave it a lot less noise, im guessing there is a lot of electrical noise in our office from all the random gear we have doing weird poo poo everywhere.

here's a dumb video showing the software in it's final hacked together form

instagram.com/p/saxYjlQujr

we tried to 3d print a case but i didn't really give us enough room to just cram everything in there without redoing a lot of wiring and soldering, so we scrapped that and made a hilarious cardboard box and covered it in adorable stickers

there's a funny electrical problem though. we have a 9v battery going into a modified buck converter that has a pot on the feedback resistor thingamajig so that we could fine tune it to ~5 volts (input range is like 5-45volts, its overkill lol), but anyways we suspect that the buck converter and battery don't play nice when the circuit starts firing up and everything puts load on it. in a nutshell the loving thing takes literally 20 seconds to actually charge everything up enough to turn on (we suspect the 3 giant 300uf caps from a dead power supply might have high internal resistance and are just loving everything up lol)

many laughs were had and the gift was well received despite its flaws

edit: if i had more time i would have "done it right" and saved a ton of money and time by just spinning a quick board in diptrace or eagle and having oshpark do an order, seriously with a freescale k20 and some jtag headers a lot of this would fit onto afucking tiny board, then i'd just drop a boost converter on there and use AA's instead of a 9v or something

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 1, 2014

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

:3:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5928013/Let%27s%20Stay%20Together%20%28v1%29.wav

also here's the song i commissioned from sa user & gamedev music dude Ultinogio for this project, dude was on point and did a really good job reorchestrating the original piece :3:

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Yeah you'd want a couple of very low ESR tantalums to run a switcher off a 9V, there's probably a big voltage drop whenever it switches...

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
My idiot spare time iOS game project has at long last completed gestation and was birthed onto the iOS App Store today :dance:

It's free, if you have an iPhone go download it and marvel at the wonder that is Rocket Rover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7eRsghAuoU

I'll shut up about it for a while now, thanks :tipshat:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

release teh anroid port

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
how does porting to android work anyway? do you just tick a box in xcode?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Platforms/Android/DeviceCompatibility/index.html

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

In the exceedingly unlikely event that I were to ever port Rocket Rover to Android (or co-develop for Android in the future) I'd use something like Apportable since I could still write in Objective-C and not hate my life.

LOOOOOOOOL

Nothing but some basic textured polygons with simple lighting unless you have a Nexus 5, and maybe Galaxy S4 users will get the entry-level HDR one day.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 2, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

in conclusion ue4 works on literally one android device to its full potential because all android GPUs are trash

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

release teh anroid port

no, android is a Bad Operation System. Rocket Rover is also Stymie proof because it requires iOS 7 or later.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

My idiot spare time iOS game project has at long last completed gestation and was birthed onto the iOS App Store today :dance:

It's free, if you have an iPhone go download it and marvel at the wonder that is Rocket Rover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7eRsghAuoU

I'll shut up about it for a while now, thanks :tipshat:

6mb??? your a good man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
welp I played it ten times and got 2 as much highest score
only once

I just spam the shoot key the whole time

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
getting closer to a working repeater stack, transmitter now actually transmits a properly modulated signal

the modulation is applied directly to the output carrier at 1/4 the output frequency, unfortunately the synths loops response is fast enough that it fights the modulator input. DV data contains a lot of 50 Hz components, the synth generates hum at that frequency due to phase shift in the loop
i managed to slow it down enough that it won't completely destroy the waveform but i still have some work to do before it produces a perfectly clean signal without excess sidebands

proper instrumentation is important, I use a rubidium frequency standard to tune the timebase in the radios to less than 1 ppm, this is important for narrow band communications

the receiver still works, but that piece of poo poo soldering iron i keep at the kitchen table isn't properly grounded so i damaged the output driver in my reference oscillator when I soldered a wire that came loose, managed to fix it by adding a buffer amp in series

currently i'm scratching my head at the interface to the transmitter, there's no obvious transmit-enable pin on the rear connector, I suspect it might be controlled by the logic board. at least i know it controls power by checking the output power after the filter using an analog feedback mechanism, the final PA is always powered and only works when it has 10W of exciter power going in, and the exciters power supply is turned on/off by a large PNP transistor on the exciter/AF board, so if I get that transistor powered it should start doing something
schematics also suggest there's an interlock with the synth-lock indicator so it won't transmit if it's off frequency

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
owns

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

im the esd-safe workspace :spergin:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Doc Block posted:

Nothing but some basic textured polygons with simple lighting unless you have a Nexus 5, and maybe Galaxy S4 users will get the entry-level HDR one day.

*engraves "here lies androidhaver, animes non semper videbat, sed quando animes videbat, torrentes de Puellis Panzeroque malebat" on ur tombstone*

i think that's grammatically correct anyway

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

im the esd-safe workspace :spergin:

98% of poo poo will never fry out and the other 2% will no matter how many protections you have in place.

Still have no real projects though want to hook up radios real bad. I think im going to build a new HF dipole for the lot as I can get a 40m one in.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

98% of poo poo will never fry out and the other 2% will no matter how many protections you have in place.

Still have no real projects though want to hook up radios real bad. I think im going to build a new HF dipole for the lot as I can get a 40m one in.

i know

i (generally) observe no esd poo poo at all because im lazy #yolo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

this has been my experience, also

avoid repeatedly donning and doffing your wool sweater before starting work and you're about as protected as you need to be

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wear cotton, grab poo poo by the ground plane when possible, touch earth ground connected surfaces when possible, pretty much fine altho if it is very dry weather you may wanna practice some protection

esd garments n bracelets are only when it is required for some iso whatever the gently caress

esd safe soldering irons are plausibly a good idea since theyre not particularly inconvenient or anything tho

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
When you're working with prototype boards with tens to hundreds of man-hours in them and proprietary ASICs, it really is worth wearing the wrist-strap, though. Consumer stuff that you can easily replace, whatever. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it never matters, but I don't care when I'm working on my hobbyist poo poo, besides using a decent iron and sometimes touching a grounded thing. :shobon:

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Bloody posted:

wear cotton, grab poo poo by the ground plane when possible, touch earth ground connected surfaces when possible, pretty much fine altho if it is very dry weather you may wanna practice some protection

esd garments n bracelets are only when it is required for some iso whatever the gently caress

esd safe soldering irons are plausibly a good idea since theyre not particularly inconvenient or anything tho

Technically this was a EOS issue, not ESD, iron tip floats at either 240 or 120 V depending on the local grounding system. :spergin:

It's worth being more careful with 80s CMOS special snowflake ICs too... No input protection at all really.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

i ruined like 6 ics in a row before i worked out i hadn't put on my magic wristband once

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i got a 60W dummy load in the mail today!

it's very well shielded and nicely built

here's the PA stage in the transmitter unit

there's no biasing of the transistors or preamp built in so it requires a bit of power to activate, the boards at either end seems to be some kind of balun or phase shifter network to combine the two PA boards to the antenna, the design is fairly broad band with a bit of trimming so I shouldn't need to do anything in there except re-tune with the trimmers

e: i think they might be power combiners and possibly directional couplers, there's a high power 50 ohm resistor connected to one of the ports that might be to absorb reflected power

I know what all the wires do except one, some kind of network at the input to the left is either a power level sniffer output OR a variable attenuator circuit to control the power output, but they might be controlling power at the exciter level instead of in the output driver, still haven't gotten the exciter to power up in any case
the green and yellow wires are just there to measure the voltage drop across the 50mOhm supply resistor, they're routed to a big D connector on the front panel labelled "TEST"

I did a few tests with a HT as a signal source, it starts to work around 2W in, and pulls around 30W from the 12V supply at 5W input after i trimmed those capacitors, exciter is 10-15W

it's possible I've got it in low power mode (seems to be 10W but not sure) and the AGC is kicking in but I'm not so sure, adjusting the trimmers related to power did nothing to the power consumption

good news is my coarse test where I compared the received signal from the dummy load before and after the output filters and they were basically the same, so I'm pretty sure it's a low-pass and not a narrow band pass like I was afraid of, still haven't bothered to reboot into linux to run the blade and get some actual measurements and no way I'm dragging the whole transmitter to work just to measure it

longview fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 4, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am close to getting my game ready for pre-alpha slice douche edition: right now you can actually PLAY it, you can get damaged, and you can win the level. extremely unpolished and communicates to the player via the console lol

ironically it seems putting 2d menu things, or messages to player etc is a lot harder than 3d thins for somethin reason but apparently trying to make it easier

feeling good afte feeling a bit beaten by my failure but learned new things last night and making progress so feeling good :smugmrgw: might post ready to play game this weekend if I tidy it a bit to get idea of anyone ever would enjoy it

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
rip unity
unreal 4 goes free for academic use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
goddamn they also unleashed their marketplace