Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well my day has officially been made! :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Saw them Sunday night in the bay area, just bought tickets to see them again tomorrow in Sacramento. Row 6!

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAhOJ1dLviQ&t=198s

I am wracking my brain trying to figure out what NIN song this little synth melody (3:18) reminds me of. I am thinking something from The Fragile but could also be from TDS. Anyone feel the same way?

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Pilgrimage?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
My buddy works at a restaurant in Portland called The Screen Door. It's a very well liked establishment. Anyway, Reznor, the band and his family came in yesterday. My friend got to make their food and was excitedly texting me while they were there.

Three hours later, Reznor called in a dinner order, saying "This is the best food I've had on the whole tour." He gave everyone working two tickets so I guess we're going tonight!

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
That's rad. I once had Trent offer me a free ticket on twitter but I turned it down because I would have had to pay for a plane ticket + hotel to Vegas :(

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Going to gush for a second. Nin hasn't started yet, Soundgarden just finished. The tickets reznor gave my friend are right up front. Holy poo poo. What a cool guy.

Soundgarden loving killed it, too. I was really impressed.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 30, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So I uh, had a nice dinner at local place. But it turns out, it wasn't so nice. This describes me on the toilet five minutes ago

*starts playing burn*

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tonight's Seattle show is the last show of the tour. After that, who's ready to (probably) not see NIN do any live performances for a long while? :smithicide:

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

You've ruined the act, GOB.
I'm saying this as of right now, after seeing NIN more than a dozen times...I'd be cool with NIN being a studio only thing, I think. And for a live performance, I'd love to see a Trent and Atticus + Friends live tour where they perform stuff from their scores and maybe some original stuff in that vein. Or include some Ghosts in there.

Of course, if he does go away live, at least as NIN for multiple years again, I know I'd be right there day 1 for tickets again.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I can't remember the entire set list but he did 1,000,000 Sin, gave up, Eraser and Great Destroyer in one big hell raising chunk.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jtr posted:

I'm saying this as of right now, after seeing NIN more than a dozen times...I'd be cool with NIN being a studio only thing, I think. And for a live performance, I'd love to see a Trent and Atticus + Friends live tour where they perform stuff from their scores and maybe some original stuff in that vein. Or include some Ghosts in there.

Of course, if he does go away live, at least as NIN for multiple years again, I know I'd be right there day 1 for tickets again.
Well Atticus toured with him for the HTDA tour last year, and I know at some point a song or two from their scores has been played live. I wanna say I remember seeing a setlist containing Hand Covers Bruise a while back? Although yeah, that would be cool if that happened. I'd love to see HTDA tour again. I know the album just came out last year but they didn't tour extensively for it. The Coachella webcast loving ruled though, as did all the fan-shot videos I saw from other shows of theirs.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

BANME.sh posted:

I am wracking my brain trying to figure out what NIN song this little synth melody (3:18) reminds me of. I am thinking something from The Fragile but could also be from TDS. Anyone feel the same way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PTFwQP86BRs#t=250 no?

:nws: if you watch past that bit.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
When the hell is the Tension blu-ray coming out? I never found myself in the crowd from the youtube preview.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr Tran posted:

When the hell is the Tension blu-ray coming out? I never found myself in the crowd from the youtube preview.
I don't think there's been any news on that front in months :smith: Maybe now that he's almost finished touring for a while, Trent will focus on getting that out. I want my copy too.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well Atticus toured with him for the HTDA tour last year, and I know at some point a song or two from their scores has been played live. I wanna say I remember seeing a setlist containing Hand Covers Bruise a while back? Although yeah, that would be cool if that happened. I'd love to see HTDA tour again. I know the album just came out last year but they didn't tour extensively for it. The Coachella webcast loving ruled though, as did all the fan-shot videos I saw from other shows of theirs.

With how much of a complete non-starter HTDA turned out to be, I'd be real surprised if we got anything else from that outfit.

That said, didn't trent mention that he and atticus were doing at least the second of the Steig Larsson movies?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I really wish Atticus would do some Error stuff again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDn8HvoloxM

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Platypus Farm posted:

That said, didn't trent mention that he and atticus were doing at least the second of the Steig Larsson movies?

It's not very clear whether the next movie is being made or not at all. imdb still shows the status as unknown.

Maybe they can do the soundtrack anyway and just redub the Swedish version of the second one. IMO the American version of the first one didn't really bring anything new to the table other than the soundtrack anyway.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Dr Tran posted:

http://instagram.com/p/sX-wcADqu3/

Now, where's my elephant?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh holy poo poo, the Blu/DVD is now gonna cover both Tension and the Summer tour?! I'm very excited :flashfap:

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

BANME.sh posted:

Sounds alot like the tribal-esque chanting/samples in the opening of Head Like A Hole.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't know if we're still talking about songs we like/don't like, but I pretty much love everything NIN's released, but for some reason don't like most of Year Zero, and only about half of With Teeth.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr E posted:

I don't know if we're still talking about songs we like/don't like, but I pretty much love everything NIN's released, but for some reason don't like most of Year Zero, and only about half of With Teeth.
You're far from being alone in not liking parts of With Teeth, but I think you're one of the few that doesn't like Year Zero.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
The only song I don't like on YZ is Vessel. The only song I vehemently dislike on WT is the title track.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
With Teeth is weird because it's half okay, not bad but overall pretty forgettable stuff and half amazing.

That being said I wish You Know What You Are? became a live staple because that's one of those NIN songs that works way better live than it does on album.

In general there's not really a NIN song I dislike, more just songs I don't seek out and songs I could do without seeing live again. Lord know I'd be fine with him retiring 1000000.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

I am angry that out of any song from The Slip, Demon Seed never gets played live.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only NIN album I don't like is The Slip. It has a few tracks I like, but most of it is just...forgettable. If it wasn't a free album I'd have been let down, but it was free so...eh.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I like the themes on The Slip a lot. Reznor talks very matter of factly about feeling irrelevant, disappointed with his career, feeling unfamiliar with himself, love, and desperate dedication. He makes straightforward lyrical references to prior work, with a kind of wink of 'wasn't I stupid?'; in comparison, Hesitation Marks is sonically similar to his early work but the themes are not. I'm pretty sure Slip is pre Oscar, and came on the heels of tour frustration. I remember the air around things at the time was NIN may be over, and Slip sounded like a farewell, mashed out kind of quickly with long time studio friends.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 3, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

LoudLoudNoise posted:

I am angry that out of any song from The Slip, Demon Seed never gets played live.

:(:hf::(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TheJoker138 posted:

The only NIN album I don't like is The Slip. It has a few tracks I like, but most of it is just...forgettable. If it wasn't a free album I'd have been let down, but it was free so...eh.

It was originally an EP right? It's be a pretty great EP if you cut the back half out in my opinion.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

It was originally an EP right? It's be a pretty great EP if you cut the back half out in my opinion.

The back half is the good bit though :confused:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

axleblaze posted:

The back half is the good bit though :confused:

You know what I listened to it again and I remembered I actually like the entire album. :D

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge
Any news on when the Gone Girl soundtrack is coming out?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Foo posted:

Any news on when the Gone Girl soundtrack is coming out?
Movie comes out on 10/3, so I would assume around then. I don't think there's been a definite release date published and I can't find an Amazon or iTunes listing for it.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
I watched Tetsuo: The Iron Man (the 1989 original) last night and was reminded how great the soundtrack is. I looked more into its composer, and let's just say if you Google "Chu Ishikawa," the soundtrack is very easy to come across within the first two pages of results. I highly recommend it if you like PHM and Downward Spiral-era mechanical sounds.

And of course there's this, if you haven't heard it already (and which is better than any song on Hesitation Marks or HTDA):
http://youtu.be/Wu9bm-RJMWM

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

1000 umbrellas posted:

And of course there's this, if you haven't heard it already (and which is better than any song on Hesitation Marks or HTDA):

Did he reuse that horn part in another track? I have not heard this before (and it is cool, thank you for posting it) but I have definitely heard that horn section before

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Earwicker posted:

Did he reuse that horn part in another track? I have not heard this before (and it is cool, thank you for posting it) but I have definitely heard that horn section before

About 2 minutes in on Pilgrimage from "The Fragile"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6vGiH37lwE&feature=player_detailpage#t=121

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

1000 umbrellas posted:

Top 5 song for me

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

You're far from being alone in not liking parts of With Teeth, but I think you're one of the few that doesn't like Year Zero.

I don't even have any good reasons for not liking YZ, I just for some reason can't stand most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I like that YZ is his most focused concept lyrically but I never think about listening to it. However, vessel is my favorite song on the album so I'm kind of weird.