Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Mr. Dog, the only way to kill all the distributions is to make them irrelevant. And slowly but surely, that's what they're trying to do.

The bundle system is what every other OS does. Most of the time, it's going to be deduplicated. Fedora had a policy of preventing bundled libraries, and I can't imagine that will go away in the new world order. This is the policy that prevents users from using software like Chrome, so it's one of those bullshit policies that was thought up by a programmer and nobody thought about how it would impact users.

I'm also concerned about btrfs, mostly because there's no full time maintainers or developers for it anymore. I'm going to sternly talk to Lennart about this, and to Colin about ostree's future.

A lot of the goals here actually stemmed from the same internal project that Colin built ostree for, but ostree is a real thing that works, and Lennart's isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

raruler posted:

Suspicious Dish, just make sure you're getting paid in cash and not equity or stock options or something.

COLD HARD CASH

NOW

I chose the high cash, low equity option. Let me just say that six figures for an idiot, ignorant 22 year olds ain't bad.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

Mr. Dog, the only way to kill all the distributions is to make them irrelevant. And slowly but surely, that's what they're trying to do.

The bundle system is what every other OS does. Most of the time, it's going to be deduplicated. Fedora had a policy of preventing bundled libraries, and I can't imagine that will go away in the new world order. This is the policy that prevents users from using software like Chrome, so it's one of those bullshit policies that was thought up by a programmer and nobody thought about how it would impact users.

this is why software vendors (including my employer) run or contract out (i.e. with package cloud) their apt/rpm/w/e repos, and ship a monolithic pckage that includes things like its own non-shared libraries

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

maybe they should think more about fixing the cause (garbage libs whose regressions are going undetected/ignored) instead of the symptom (apps that use those garbage libs having version-specific problems)

also there's already a version numbering system for dynamically linked libraries (albeit one that mostly goes by convention)

there's a guide on how to make proper shared libraries, almost nobody follows it. its purely an upstream problem.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm also concerned about btrfs, mostly because there's no full time maintainers or developers for it anymore.

looks like chris mason is still on it full time? he apparently switched companies again a while back but it sounds like theyre interested in him continuing to develop it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

this WinSxS-on-crack proposal is a technical solution for a political problem. i don't particularly like it because it's going to turn a flat fs hierarchy into a namespaced, aliased, hall-of-mirrors hell.

it turns linux into sco opensewer

you ready for /var/opt/K/SCO/link/1.1.1Eb/etc/conf/pack.d/merge/Driver.o ?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Suspicious Dish posted:

I chose the high cash, low equity option. Let me just say that six figures for an idiot, ignorant 22 year olds ain't bad.
yeah hold onto some of that in case the company goes under in 3 years

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

oh, and the reason Fedora has that unbundling policy is that they don't want to deal with hundreds of different upstream packages embedding vulnerable versions of zlib willy-nilly again

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
packaging multiple side-by-side versions is the correct solution to the problem, preferably using something along the lines of Semantic Versioning (completely separate from the Marketing Version Number)

bundling and static-linking everything is the lazy lovely solution to the problem.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ok now that ive actually skimmed it more than 5s, it sounds neat overall but feels they just went through a checklist of fashionable modern fs features and tried to find ways to use them all

the btrfs snapshotting dependency would avoid the extra effort of path handling hackery for the packages, yet the package format is still going to need some degree of author effort to specify eg the more granular dependency versions and to sign packages in the first place. feels like they may as well just gently caress with path handling and avoid the btrfs dependency

overall i think the concept is neat and that itd be a good replacement for the sea of distro sperglord middlemen frequently ruining the author's work but i dont really see why it should require btrfs-specific features to function and i feel like it'd be a much easier sell if they didnt depend on that

quote:

One of them is actually signing/verification of images. The btrfs maintainers are working on adding this to the code base, but currently nothing exists. This functionality is essential though to come to a fully verified system where a trust chain exists all the way from the firmware to the apps.

the finest openssl straight from the verified author

(i mean sure youd want package signing to avoid blatant mitm but it's signed by the packager rather than the author)

oh i think i get it, theyre trying to allow getting rid of the 3rd party packager entirely and having the author diy it, okay thatd be pretty cool, tho it still looks a lil unclear how the chain of trust would work/scale to individual authors

and lol if its also signed on dependencies such that even the os vendor cant push a zlib security update across the board without getting the approval of each author that touches zlib

quote:

Also, to make the home sub-volume scheme fully workable we actually need encrypted sub-volumes, so that the sub-volume's pass-phrase can be used for authenticating users in PAM. This doesn't exist either.

depending on their definition of 'need' (this feature sounds pretty optional to me):
- the default result of losing your user password is your data is gone, you cant just reboot onto a livecd. sure, if you encrypt your drives today and forget the pw you get this result, but its an additional optional step and the volume pw isnt necessarily the user pw
- and lets just disregard otp or ldap (again they're sounding like they think encrypted home dirs is required)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Mr Dog posted:

anyway kdbus and gnome sandboxes will solve this for the narrow case of desktop applications (which tbh nobody really cares about for linux anyway). so you'll have a sandboxed GNOME Weather applet and GNOME Music application that can be released to users directly via self-contained release ZIPs from upstream downloaded via the GNOME Software application. Great.

app stores don't really work for server applications though, which is why I'm not so keen on this one-size-fits-all solution. There the problem is slightly different: all of the languages used to develop server apps have their own siloed package managers which don't interact with rpm or deb at all (node.js npm, Java maven, Perl CPAN, whatever thing Python has). But arguably that isn't important as long as you wall off some chunk of the FHS for them to play in, then set up ansible/puppet/whatever to use the system-level package manager to install your db servers and managed code VMs, then in parallel command the managed code VM package managers to install your application packages. I dunno. It doesn't seem like a problem that really needs fixing.

The only real area where this becomes a problem is when you have rpm/deb-packaged desktop apps written in these managed langs. Then you end up making rpm/deb packages for CPAN modules or whatever and it all goes straight to hell.

Either way these are two very different problems with very different desired final solutions. Poettering's Hall of Mirrors doesn't really seem to solve either of them particularly well.

NixOS solved this problem

hermetic builds are gr8

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

the btrfs snapshotting dependency would avoid the extra effort of path handling hackery for the packages, yet the package format is still going to need some degree of author effort to specify eg the more granular dependency versions and to sign packages in the first place. feels like they may as well just gently caress with path handling and avoid the btrfs dependency

overall i think the concept is neat and that itd be a good replacement for the sea of distro sperglord middlemen frequently ruining the author's work but i dont really see why it should require btrfs-specific features to function and i feel like it'd be a much easier sell if they didnt depend on that

i mean the snapshotting stuff makes it cleaner but i think itd make more sense to treat the snapshotting as one way to implement an agnostic concept (one that could even work on normal dir structures if you really wanted), so that you arent tied to btrfs' style of snapshotting forever

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if the """solution""" is copypasting a 600MB pile of (select one of Ubuntu Server, CentOS, SuSE, all fully loaded up to the gills with all the ancient Gtk1 utilities they install by default) dog poo poo for every application that I install onto my system, and then running a separate instance of mysql and apache and memcached and sshd and whatever with absolutely no way to share these system services or commonly administrate them then i think i'll keep the problem thank you.

there you go i cured your strep throat by giving you ebola

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

dog poo poo for every application

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

there you go i cured your strep throat by giving you ebola

a succinct description of every poettering mega-project

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nah, this is what surprises me about this proposal actually

poettering's usual style is "hey, this poo poo sucks, instead of stuffing it under the floorboards by piling brittle scraper and automation scripts on top of it why not actually fix this poo poo so that it doesn't suck"

which is kind of the opposite of what's going on here

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
This isn't our first attempt at fixing this poo poo. It's a loving hard problem, with plenty of politics in the way. This is actually a model we want to move to, because it's what the world has already moved to, no matter what policies you stick in the way.

Lennart is much more optimistic about the "runtime" situation working out: he imagines a GNOME SDK or a KDE SDK that app vendors will build on top of, and that's the common runtime for lots of apps. I think that a variety of issues, mostly social and political, will keep that from taking off.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Progressive JPEG posted:

and lol if its also signed on dependencies such that even the os vendor cant push a zlib security update across the board without getting the approval of each author that touches zlib

The article hints at security updates have to become n-fold updates for all the different major versions in use by applications. There is also finally acceptance that "security updates"-only sucks for users and vendors whom wish to push out new updates and are artificially held back. Thus an important part of the puzzle to come is how to fan-out of security patches to multiple versions.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

MrMoo posted:

Thus an important part of the puzzle to come is how to fan-out of security patches to multiple versions.

we found a solution to that decades ago, it's called shared libs

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
systemd is really cool because the driving force behind it is "what if we took all the pain points of Linux and over engineered them to the point of being a completely different set of problems"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

api call girl posted:

we found a solution to that decades ago, it's called shared libs

Shared library versioning is not fun.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ahmeni posted:

systemd is really cool because the driving force behind it is "what if we took all the pain points of Linux and over engineered them to the point of being a completely different set of problems"

I converted my "puttering-around" Linux into using systemd and I think I can best describe the idiocy by illustrating with the change from tail -f /var/log/syslog to uh journalctl -somethingorother so I installed rsyslog and got old functionality back :toot:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah journalctl -f is so very hard to remember, especially since they deliberately chose that flag to be the same as tail -f

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

FYI, here's the computers we're building. They run Linux.

I'm at the office today while nobody else is because it's a nice place to chill that has p. good Wi-Fi while I'm in between hunting for apartments in SF. Sorry for the crummy camera pics.

I like what yo uare doing

the MISSION boxes look real pretty and remind me of this

(i could've sworn those radios were made by General)

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
reminds me more of a dieter rams thing

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr Dog posted:

yeah journalctl -f is so very hard to remember, especially since they deliberately chose that flag to be the same as tail -f

rsyslog is more about the poo poo that lives in and off of /var/log/ but ok

journalctl is basically the archetypical overengineered solution, though I like -x

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 2, 2014

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i mean it doesn't even matter, if you want the journal to forward to rsyslog then it'll do that, so go nuts.

journal entries have a bunch of key-value stuff that is authenticated by the os in places where that makes sense, so you can look at, say, just the log output for a particular system service without having to grep the latest log and then zgrep logs 2 3 and 4 or whatever. or look at just the log entries for the latest boot or in a certain time span very easily.

apparently syslog can do a bunch of this stuff and there's some rfcs standardising it and blah blah blah, no syslog as actually packaged in a shipping distro actually does this, journal does it out of the box.

this is all useful poo poo that couldn't be made to work reliably before without scraping textual timestamps or parsing the ad-hoc record format of textual log file entries, that's not "over-engineered" that's "doing useful poo poo that people need that the previous solution wasn't really designed to do"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I really like that the journal is time-ordered and integrates all my 8 zillion log files together. Everything in Linux is loosely coupled which means that when one daemon stops working, all 8 thousand others also stop working, and piecing together the log files from every single one sucks. Sometimes they log to stderr, sometimes they log to syslog, sometimes they log to /var/log/butts, sometimes somewhere in their homedir, etc.

Now they all log to the journal in a consistent format, all interlaced together, and I can even filter by cmdline, servicename, and date range as well.

I don't think it's overengineered at all. It's complex, but the problem space is complex with a lot of needs from a lot of people. Think about how many shell scripts to womp log files there are in the world, and you'll realize that it's just a hard problem to solve.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
current linux status: going thru fail2ban logs and pulling out subnets from the hundreds of temp banned IPs and just adding CIDR-wide blocks in iptables by hand forever.

some of these are like /13s and poo poo. bye, china

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

configure your firewall to only allow ssh and other important services to be available from your office's subnet and/or production range and set up ssh to be key only and don't worry about fail2ban

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

my stepdads beer posted:

configure your firewall to only allow ssh and other important services to be available from your office's subnet and/or production range

fair enough

quote:

and set up ssh to be key only

lol nope

quote:

and don't worry about fail2ban

still good to use as a generalized service to kill all sorts of things, not just ssh

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
for example

say you run a (properly configured) name server and some morons are trying to bounce ddos off of you

their zombies don't care that you're not actually sending on the recursive lookup, but you're still seeing that poo poo in your incoming, and your logging

fail2ban/recidive to the rescue

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
code:
# iptables -n -L fail2ban-named-refused-udp
Chain fail2ban-named-refused-udp (1 references)
target     prot opt source               destination
REJECT     all  --  178.175.131.27       0.0.0.0/0            reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  107.178.245.188      0.0.0.0/0            reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  37.61.54.158         0.0.0.0/0            reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
RETURN     all  --  0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
code:
# iptables -n -L fail2ban-recidive
Chain fail2ban-recidive (1 references)
target     prot opt source               destination
REJECT     all  --  74.125.71.121        0.0.0.0/0            reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  93.46.8.89           0.0.0.0/0            reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  107.178.245.188      0.0.0.0/0            reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  64.74.97.249         0.0.0.0/0            reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
REJECT     all  --  23.229.50.161        0.0.0.0/0            reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
(a lot longer list follows)
then you take the recidive list and sort by source and boom, there's your ranges to blacklist

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 3, 2014

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i didn't know about the recidive filter that seems useful. i hope you all badger your network guys into turning on rpf or similar as well. I need to badger mine harder :(

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
sounds like a real mission, bro

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

cheers bro

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Having a jump server key-only works wonders, then you can hide it behind .ssh/config and transparently hop into your servers.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lost my ~/.ssh/id_rsa

welp, guess it's time to call the noc

(or you could keep passwords enabled because lmao seriously?)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

lost my ~/.ssh/id_rsa

welp, guess it's time to call the noc

(or you could keep passwords enabled because lmao seriously?)

you can have multiple allowed keys fyi

worst case put one on a zip drive or smth

e: plz dont generally reuse the same keyfile across multiple systems tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

MrMoo posted:

Having a jump server key-only works wonders, then you can hide it behind .ssh/config and transparently hop into your servers.

ok i can see the value in that