Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

A Melted Tarp posted:

Isn't there a push for modern diesels to replace the ubiquitous Lycomings and Continentals that require 100LL?

This is where I say (again) that my favorite aircraft engine of all time is the Junkers Jumo 205... a 6 cylinder, 12 piston, 2 stroke, supercharged, dual crankshaft opposed-piston aircraft diesel.

No valves, no head gaskets, gear-driven timing, weighed 1300lbs and made 870hp - in the 40s. The accessories were all run off the slave crankshaft which had the added benefit of significantly reducing the power the timing gears had to handle.

I am unreasonably fanboyish about this engine design :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

kastein posted:

This is where I say (again) that my favorite aircraft engine of all time is the Junkers Jumo 205... a 6 cylinder, 12 piston, 2 stroke, supercharged, dual crankshaft opposed-piston aircraft diesel.

No valves, no head gaskets, gear-driven timing, weighed 1300lbs and made 870hp - in the 40s. The accessories were all run off the slave crankshaft which had the added benefit of significantly reducing the power the timing gears had to handle.

Christ that sounds like the most German engine ever. There is a BMW engineer with a cutaway of this engine hung on his wall with the caption "Perfection" or some bullshit.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Slavvy posted:

We have easily obtained avgas here in NZ. My boss would use it in his old v8 holden; the majority of prop aircraft at the local airfield run on it.

My friend puts it in his mr2, when its not spraying oil of the turbo and onto the manifold :roflmao:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Slavvy posted:

We have easily obtained avgas here in NZ. My boss would use it in his old v8 holden; the majority of prop aircraft at the local airfield run on it.

I've watched flight of the chonchords enough to know that New Zealand has a population of at least 134 people and that's not enough to peg the needle on supply/demand.

I once put leaded race gas in my speed6 (I want to say it was 108 octane).

Boosted so buttery smooth. It was like 8 bucks a gallon so I only enjoyed it for about $40 worth.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

VOR LOC posted:

Christ that sounds like the most German engine ever. There is a BMW engineer with a cutaway of this engine hung on his wall with the caption "Perfection" or some bullshit.

Actually, it is very simple... like someone glued two detroit 6-72s together head to head, deleted the entire valvetrain and heads/head gaskets, and fed it twice as much fuel/air :unsmigghh:

Yeah, the timing set has to be beefed up. The rest is simpler. It is very un-german, aside from being german.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

Actually, it is very simple... like someone glued two detroit 6-72s together head to head, deleted the entire valvetrain and heads/head gaskets, and fed it twice as much fuel/air :unsmigghh:

Yeah, the timing set has to be beefed up. The rest is simpler. It is very un-german, aside from being german.

Did somebody say bolting detroits together?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FXVZlM71NE

All though this guy used 12-71s. not a failure as of yet, but likely soon.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I once put leaded race gas in my speed6 (I want to say it was 108 octane).

Boosted so buttery smooth. It was like 8 bucks a gallon so I only enjoyed it for about $40 worth.

I assume that people here already know that putting leaded gasoline in a modern street engine will rapidly destroy the catalytic converters and god knows what else in the emissions system, but it bears mentioning just in case.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I assume that people here already know that putting leaded gasoline in a modern street engine will rapidly destroy the catalytic converters and god knows what else in the emissions system, but it bears mentioning just in case.

Yes I figured I would smoke my cats and/or O2 sensors. I knew that I wasn't doing something exactly 'smart' when the nozzle to put into my gas tank was bigger like a diesel pump.

Took a while to get that 5 gallons in there.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
93 would have done you just as well while costing less and not ruining poo poo. Factory tune is optimized for it. Higher octane does prevent knock and pulled timing in hot/track conditions when things get heat soaked, but it won't give you more power or make a difference driving around town "boosting" or getting on the highway.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
if you put a crescent wrench on top of the radiator on a Volvo 940, it will slide down between the top of the intercooler and the top sheet metal and vanish.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

VOR LOC posted:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kastein posted:

Pretty sure that's the engine I spent at least a half hour staring at and figuring out how everything ran at the Berlin Tech Museum. Very strange, very cool.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Why have just *two* crankshafts when you can have three? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

VOR LOC posted:

I'll see it with a Napier Deltic:

And raise a prototype Napier (which I think is called a Deltic although it clearly is a Quadric):

Apparently it got to prototype stage...

Taco Box posted:

Why have just *two* crankshafts when you can have three? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic
:argh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Those were actually based on/inspired by the junkers engine. The brits loving loved them, iirc they still have a few trains running with deltics inside, very reliable. Not very in-character, though :v:

The train thread would know more, specifically axeman jim.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Taco Box posted:

From the segment about modifying it into a turbo-compound engine:

quote:

Predictions by the engineers closely connected with it were that connecting rod failure would be the limit on this power, failing at around 5,300 bhp. On test it actually produced 5,600 bhp before throwing a connecting rod through the crankcase just as predicted.
:science:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

jamal posted:

93 would have done you just as well while costing less and not ruining poo poo. Factory tune is optimized for it. Higher octane does prevent knock and pulled timing in hot/track conditions when things get heat soaked, but it won't give you more power or make a difference driving around town "boosting" or getting on the highway.

And it's got a lower energy density so it'll even give you worse mileage. Unless you need higher octane to prevent knock, it's not doing you any good.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Well, the butt dyno told a different story. The MZR disi motor had a really sensitive knock sensor that would retard the timing giving the car a Jekyll/Hyde personality. With the race gas it was game on whenever. I think you guys are really over reaching though, it was virtually a splash of fuel that lasted like 3 days.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

kastein posted:

Thank you for making this engine a Thing I Know About because it is an awesome, beautiful, elegant thing and I am sad I didn't know about it before!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

The brits loving loved them, iirc they still have a few trains running with deltics inside, very reliable.

We were still fitting them to RN ships in the 80s - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunt-class_mine_countermeasures_vessel

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

jamal posted:

I will say that when I went on a road trip and got ethanol free gas for the first time in my Speed3 there was a very noticeable difference in power, smoothness, and efficiency. gently caress the E10 pisswater we are stuck with in PA.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ethanol is a horrible mechanical failure.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

A Melted Tarp posted:

Isn't there a push for modern diesels to replace the ubiquitous Lycomings and Continentals that require 100LL?

Given that diesels engines suffer from high weight and low power output, I can't imagine they'd make a good engine for GA.

VVVV That article seems to confirm the industry has the same reservations, basically "Yes, diesels are heavier and less powerful, but 100LL isn't going to be around for much longer"

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 3, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Think again! Diesels are good at low RPMs and high torque... exactly what you mostly want for spinning a prop.

http://www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/diesel-aircraft-engines-revolution

I've already heard of a few on the US market. In fact I read about one in an aviation magazine while waiting for my interview at my current job.

Of course, Thielert's failure went over about as well as GM's 350 oldsmobile diesel back in the 80s, but people seem to be getting past that...

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

SlapActionJackson posted:

Given that diesels engines suffer from high weight and low power output, I can't imagine they'd make a good engine for GA.

http://www.diamondaircraft.com/aircraft/da42/specs_da42_ng.php

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

opengl128 posted:

I will say that when I went on a road trip and got ethanol free gas for the first time in my Speed3 there was a very noticeable difference in power, smoothness, and efficiency. gently caress the E10 pisswater we are stuck with in PA.

Just realize there's not actually a relationship between which level of gas you buy and whether it has ethanol or not. It seems that if a station sells ethanol free gas it's USUALLY premium, but it's up to the station operator. Out here it's usually mid grade for some reason (88, high altitude).

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Godholio posted:

Out here it's usually mid grade for some reason (88, high altitude).

Mid grade is just pumped from both regular and premium tanks, mixed at the pump. Definitely has ethanol if either regular or premium does. Don't think I've ever heard of a gas station having a dedicated tank for mid grade.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

*sniff* It's beautiful! Perfect, even.

Anyway, I'd love to see more and more aero diesels start powering the GA fleet. Avgas is dead and anyone seriously thinking of dropping 25-30k on a shiny new big bore flat six without looking at some kind of re-engine program is being incredibly short-sighted.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Bajaha posted:

Mid grade is just pumped from both regular and premium tanks, mixed at the pump. Definitely has ethanol if either regular or premium does. Don't think I've ever heard of a gas station having a dedicated tank for mid grade.

You just reminded me to check pure-gas.org. I just found a station along my route that sells all grades ethanol free. Looks like I know where I'll be stopping on my way home this week. Silt, CO.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
The only pure gas near me is 110 Octane racing fuel at $6 a gallon. I did put it in a goped once that specified "highest octane available".

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

Worth noting that a lot of the airplanes you see out there are old. Like, a lot of the high-wing Cessnas you see around were built in the 1950s and 60s.

Don't remember if I posted this or not. But on the subject of leaded gas and old rear end airplanes. This is whats left of my 89 year old grandfather's 1955 Cessna 170 tail dragger after the right gear broke shortly after landing a few months ago. Caused the plane to abruptly turn right and slam into the ditch. My brother was piloting at the time. This also leads me into the old people driving thing. My grandfather is 89 and still has not only his pilot's license but is still a certified instructor. Some people just don't lose their poo poo. Why can't we start testing old people to drive cars like we do airplanes. He has to get his license reupped every year.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Because old people are whiny as gently caress, and they vote.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Post Pictures of Horrible Mechanical Road Failures

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Bajaha posted:

The only 2 stations I've used don't actually have premium. 85, 88 ethanol-free, and diesel.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

StormDrain posted:

You just reminded me to check pure-gas.org. I just found a station along my route that sells all grades ethanol free. Looks like I know where I'll be stopping on my way home this week. Silt, CO.

That site always pisses me off because I forget the last time I checked and get hopeful again, then it always turns out the only e-free gas in the entire Midatlantic region is dockside at marinas. Time to invest in an Amphicar? :eng99:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Godholio posted:

The only 2 stations I've used don't actually have premium. 85, 88 ethanol-free, and diesel.

There's a station I've been to that has 87, 89, diesel, and E-85.

:wtc:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

StormDrain posted:

Horrible gas failures.

Guess I could refill in St. George... only 2 hours away!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I'm tuned for 93 in my '13 WRX and only one station in this area has 93. They also have 112 :getin:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've run leaded race gas in my GSXR750 that's dyno tuned for 91 - about the only thing I noticed was white residue in the exhaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

I've run leaded race gas in my GSXR750 that's dyno tuned for 91 - about the only thing I noticed was white residue in the exhaust.

And after a short bit of time that clogs the gently caress out of cats in cars.