Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

me your dad posted:

It'd suck though if he got in a car and the driver/fan was like, 'you mind if we listen to some Ween?'

"You mind if we listen to Marvelous Clouds?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

weirdojace posted:

That's torture for anyone riding shotgun.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

weirdojace posted:

:drat:

Seriously I can't believe Deaner subjects himself to such abuse. I imagine a majority of people just wouldn't have the sense not to ask him about his relationship with Aaron and whether or not Ween will get back together and all the poo poo he probably doesn't want to talk about with a stranger.

I for one would chat the hell up about fishing.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Yes please. hopefully someday these will make it onto the internet.

Also, you know how some bands have "win vip meet and greet" events? Well Deaner has a "drive me to the airport meet and greet"

drat that would be awesome.

I'm at the event right now. Pretty psyched, although it's pretty cold out.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
You're at the show or you are driving Deaner to the airport?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Here was the line-up from the show on Saturday:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Here was the line-up from the show on Saturday:

Saturday when? 2007? That's a loving Ween show! drat I wish I could have been there.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

me your dad posted:

Saturday when? 2007? That's a loving Ween show! drat I wish I could have been there.

I was kinda expecting videos to be up of the whole live show by now (unless I'm looking in the wrong place..). I didn't run across anybody who was there just to see Dean Ween, although I tend to know more beer nerds than Ween fans.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Another interview with Aaron about the new album.

http://www.newsweek.com/coming-clean-gene-ween-weens-former-frontman-talks-sobriety-and-miley-cyrus-250774

A few quotes:

quote:

Do you think getting sober affected your songwriting?

No. [laughs] Not at all. The songs are the same as ever.

quote:

..we scraped up the money to get nine days in a really nice studio. I got Chris Shaw, ... He recorded that record White Pepper with us

quote:

You’re definitely going to hear Ween in there. Everything you hear on this record is very much my writing style and the way it’s always been.

quote:

I love all the mainstream stuff. Miley Cyrus is awesome, and all those guys.

quote:

Fans are going to be in for a very, very pleasant surprise when they see Freeman live. I am f**king ready to play. I’m itching to play. We’ll probably play for a couple hours. There’s going to be smoke machines involved. There’s going to be other Ween songs. I got a lot of s**t to pull from.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
But does it have a song featuring skrillex (serious question)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://soundcloud.com/partisan-records/freeman-the-english-and-western-stallion

I'm actually excited for this album after the poo poo that was Marvellous Clouds. This is very Ween sounding.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
He just announced his fall tour today, too:

Sept. 16 - Columbus Theater - Providence, Rhode Island
Sept. 17 - Sinclair - Boston, Massachusetts
Sept. 18 - Higher Ground - Burlington, Vermont
Sept. 19 - Lovin' Cup - Rochester, New York
Sept. 20 - Beachland Ballroom - Cleveland, Ohio
Sept. 21 - Radio Radio - Indianapolis, Indiana
Sept. 23 - Magic Stick - Detroit, Michigan
Sept. 24 - Lincoln Hall - Chicago, Illinois
Sept. 25 - Turner Hall - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sept. 26 - Turf Club - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Sept. 27 - Waiting Room - Omaha, Nebraska
Sept. 28 - Blueberry Hill - St. Louis, Missouri
Sept. 30 - The Basement - Columbus, Ohio
Oct. 1 - Brillobox - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Oct. 2 - Rock 'N' Roll Hotel - Washington, D.C.
Oct. 3 - Johnny Brenda's - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Oct. 4 - Bowery Ballroom - New York, New York
Oct. 22 - One Eyed Jacks - New Orleans, Louisiana
Oct. 23 - Fitzgerald's - Houston, Texas
Oct. 24 - The Loft - Dallas, Texas
Oct. 25 - Parish - Austin, Texas
Oct. 28 - Casbah - San Diego, California
Oct. 30 - The Roxy - Los Angeles, California
Oct. 31 - The Independent - San Francisco, California
Nov. 1 - Doug Fir - Portland, Oregon
Nov. 2 - Tractor Tavern - Seattle, Washington
Nov. 5 - State Room - Salt Lake City, Utah
Nov. 6 - Bluebird - Denver, Colorado
Nov. 7 - Riot Room - Kansas City, Missouri
Nov. 8 - Mojo's - Columbia, Missouri

Kinda pumped.

e: wait poo poo I just realized I can't go on the day he's in my city. Welp!

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

Abu Dave posted:

https://soundcloud.com/partisan-records/freeman-the-english-and-western-stallion

I'm actually excited for this album after the poo poo that was Marvellous Clouds. This is very Ween sounding.

You're right. I'm very excited for this as well!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Here is the Long Beach Island tape that is hard to find as people don't really share it considering it's a stolen cd from Deaners car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUGNlME-s9M

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Harminoff posted:

Here is the Long Beach Island tape that is hard to find as people don't really share it considering it's a stolen cd from Deaners car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUGNlME-s9M

This is great, they have too much quality unreleased material. I really hope for more Shinolas.

PUT CHO BOOBS ON, SHAKE SHAKE

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That long island beach song is real real real real good.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah I'm always surprised by what was cut (I'm looking at you Kim Smoltz)

Also, I found this youtube channel that has an absurd amount of live videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BoognishBockwinkle/videos

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I just checked the last couple of pages and didn't see this posted yet.

Deaner posted:

me and carlos sort of collaborate-------I think enough time has passed where I can finally tell my favorite Ween story of all-time.
The businesses and the people involved have long since closed their doors and moved on for good and hopefully the people involved (and Carlos himself, if it comes to that) will have a good sense of humor about this story.

In 2003 Ween released our album “quebec” on Sanctuary Records. We worked on the album for 2 years in our beach house in Holgate,NJ, a rented house in the Pocono Mountains of PA, the garage behind Aaron’s house in Pt. Pleasant, PA, my upstairs guest room, and finally Andrew Weiss’s living room in NJ. We also worked at Water Music in Hoboken, NJ and Graphic Sound Studios in Ringoes, NJ. It was not a great period in our personal lives, Aaron was going thru a divorce and I was partying way too hard myself—it was some dark poo poo. The record is one of my favorites, but it is a depressing album lyrically. It was not an easy record to make either, as evidenced by the amount of places we worked, trying to find the right environment. There are demos available online that I posted where you can hear the process at work, we racked up our normal batch of like 6 dozen songs or more before whittling it down to what was finally released, 15 tunes.

I am a huge fan of Carlos Santana. He is one of my favorite guitarists of all-time. He is playing better these days than ever before in my opinion. His music is more radio friendly, for sure, but as a guitarist he has aged like a fine wine. Only Neil Young, Prince, and a small handful of others can make that claim as they become members of the AARP.

We were working in Andrew’s living room on the song “Transdermal Celebration”, our drummer Claude Coleman had just gotten into a horrific car crash and left us w/o a drummer for the recording and ensuing tour. Eventually it worked itself out where the record took so long to complete that Claude made enough of a recovery to do the world tour with us supporting “quebec.” In the meantime though, even though Claude had played on some of the demos, drumming on the album was left up to me, Josh Freese, and Sim Cain. “Transdermal Celebration” had been recorded 3 times by this point, with a drum machine, with Claude playing drums, and the final take on the album which features Josh Freese. It was the eventual single from the album. So, we’re in the middle of this session and I get a phone call from my roadie (nameless) who also worked for a backline company (nameless) that supplied amps, drums, lights, etc. to bands touring in the Northeast. My roadie told me that Carlos Santana’s equipment (including his guitars) had arrived via a trucking company that night at their depot. Carlos was recording an appearance on “Good Morning America” the next morning and his equipment was to be delivered to the set in NYC in a few hours.

What needed to be done was immediately clear to me, I had an opportunity to play the solo on “Transdermal Celebration” through Carlos Santana’s amplifier and guitar. I had one shot at it, it meant taking a hard disk recorder to a storage space where all of Carlos’ stuff was sitting in transit. I arrived at 2am. We (very carefully) unpacked his equipment and set up his stage gear and in one take I recorded the guitar solo for “Transdermal Celebration” (the one that appears on the album, playing thru Carlos Santana’s guitar, pedalboard, and amplifier. The whole thing took 10 minutes and we were terrified we were going to get caught. A lot of people would have lost their jobs. We got the gently caress outta there really fast after that. So the solo on “Transdermal Celebration” was played thru all of Santana’s poo poo in what resembled an early morning bank heist or something……….

Of course a story like this requires visual proof, so here it is. Don’t tell anyone about these please.

-Dean Ween 6/14

an afterthought: regarding the Carlos post, i'd like to add that we handled his equipment as if it were the Mona Lisa. We photographed the way his roadie had his cables wrapped and positioned and put everything back exactly as it was found. The whole process was over as quickly as it happened. Also, the respect that I have for Carlos and the depth, spirituality and stamina of his playing is held by me in the highest regard. I am not just a fan of Carlos, I am a believer and follower of everything he has done, and yes that includes the pop singles. I felt it was important to have this be known, there is no one I hold in a higher regard. Also, I have a lifetime of experience of handling equipment, as did the other person involved, it wasn't two drunk buffoons manhandling a legend's gear, the furthest thing from it. I think it's important to clarify that. -DW

The cabinet is BROWN

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

gently caress, that story is amazing. I knew I really liked the sound of that song for some reason.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
How come that solo sounds so much better then Carlos's regular guitar tone? I love that tone, but detest Carlos's.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Because Deaner

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
This part though

Deaner posted:

we racked up our normal batch of like 6 dozen songs

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
New Dean Ween Group song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N253NyGvWf8

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Freeman is out. Not as weird as I would like, and opening track is pretty :( but pretty solid album.

Also, this is pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulhv7SNsXa8

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I quite enjoyed the album. It's definitely stripped back, but it isn't boring like Marvelous Clouds (which I couldn't get through). The first song is great, a direct message to the Ween fans.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Harminoff posted:

Freeman is out. Not as weird as I would like, and opening track is pretty :( but pretty solid album.

Where? I have a vinyl preordered, but the site still says July 22 release.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Discombobulator posted:

Where? I have a vinyl preordered, but the site still says July 22 release.

I think they mean leaked rather than released. Trying hard to hold off on listening to it until release day. Another favourite artist just had an album leak last week and I caved early. But seems like a lot of talk is centered around the first track.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
The record label has a nice summary of the album on their website:

quote:

Listening to Marvelous Clouds, Aaron Freeman’s 2012 debut under his own name, fans might have felt that he was ignoring an elephant in his room—a drug-and-alcohol-related onstage flame-out that made viral headlines the year before. But Clouds, a deceptively chill Rod McKuen covers record, was just a warm-up for the artist once known as Gene Ween. In the opening minutes of FREEMAN, the self-titled debut from his new band, Freeman addresses addiction and its aftermath with the combination of merciless self-inventory and artful songcraft that earned Ween one of the most devoted fan bases in contemporary pop. This song, the unmistakably autobiographical “Covert Discretion,” is a quiet shocker. “Save your judgments for someone else,” Freeman sings. “Be grateful I saved me from myself.”

As bitter as it sounds, the track clears the air. FREEMAN represents a new beginning— Aaron Freeman’sfirst album of original material since disbanding Ween and getting sober—but it isn’t a record mired in its maker’s private struggles. It’s simply a collection of gorgeous, subtly offbeat songs—in other words, a continuation of the thread that runs through the entire Ween catalog. The lush psychedelic pop of “The English and Western Stallion”; the melancholy plea of “More Than the World”; the unflappable, Plastic Ono Band–esque blues-rock of “Gimmie One More”—these are songs that bear the unmistakable Aaron Freeman stamp.

And to hear Freeman tell it, they wouldn’t have been possible if he’d stayed in his old band. “There was so much of ‘Aaron had to break up Ween because of addiction’ and ‘Aaron broke up Ween in order to pursue his solo work,’ ” he says. “But I broke up Ween because we were at a creative dead end way before our last record, La Cucaracha. Basically we were going through the motions, becoming a showcase band.”

Freeman stresses that FREEMAN is more about renewal than turning his back on the past. “I want this record to pay homage to Ween,” he says. “These are the same songs I would’ve written in Ween—except without [ex-bandmate] Mickey.” Several tracks hark back to the role-playing that was a hallmark of Freeman’s back-catalog: “(For a While) I Couldn’t Play My Guitar Like a Man,” a badass blues-rock meditation on lost mojo; or “Black Bush,” a trippy, heavily stylized ode to the natural beauty of Freeman’s recently adopted hometown of Woodstock.

But there’s also a fresh perspective here, the sound of a shadow lifting. “Delicate Green,” which savors life’s everyday blessings, is one of the sweetest, most sincere songs Freeman has written. And “All the Way to China” and “El Shaddai” reference Jewish texts—Kabbalah readings and James A. Michener’s The Source, respectively—that guided him through his darkest times. “There’s a lot of spiritual stuff on here because that really helped me,” Freeman says. “I listened to a lot of reggae—’Jah gonna help me through Babylon,’ you know? I listened to a lot of Paul McCartney too, and I thought, if he can do this, break up the loving Beatles, I can certainly break up Ween and be okay.”

Aaron Freeman has also turned his back on substance abuse, a fact that might concern fans who mistake intoxication for inspiration. “I wrote the songs I wrote in Ween despite all the drugs and alcohol I was doing, not because,” Freeman says. “Most people don’t get sobriety at all. They assume you’re this better-than-thou monk sitting on a mountain, judging everybody. It’s not that way: You have to let everybody do their thing, and you get weirder.” A song like FREEMAN’s ”Golden Monkey,” which rivals Ween’s underrated Quebec for sheer mind-warping brilliance, proves Freeman’s point.

In order to get to FREEMAN, Aaron Freeman had to make a clean break. “If I hadn’t left my partnership, there wouldn’t be anything,” he explains. “I’d probably be dead too. I know that at the end of the day, this is the best thing I could’ve done for me and for every Ween fan.” FREEMAN, an album that distills the Aaron Freeman aesthetic—built on equal parts wonder and malaise, frankness and mysticism, defiance and vulnerability—to its headiest essence, proves his point. This man, known for so long by another name, is finally free.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I'm glad he's sober and making music and alive and all that but God drat it I miss Ween.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm glad he's sober and making music and alive and all that but God drat it I miss Ween.

That being said, seeing Gener play to like 15 people in a bar last year was pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing one more of those before Ween gets back together.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

BigFactory posted:

That being said, seeing Gener play to like 15 people in a bar last year was pretty cool. I wouldn't mind seeing one more of those before Ween gets back together.

I dig your optimism but I don't think Ween is getting back together :(

My friend and I saw a solo show of his some time prior to the official breakup. It must have been 'The Gene Ween Band' or something. We were both expecting a rowdy night but it was really subdued and a bit disappointing. I much prefer the atmosphere of what Deaner's doing now.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 12, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

me your dad posted:

I dig your optimism but I don't think Ween is getting back together :(

My friend and I saw a solo show of his some time prior to the official breakup. It must have been 'The Gene Ween Band' or something. We were both expecting a rowdy night but it was really subdued and a bit disappointing. I much prefer the atmosphere of what Deaner's doing now.

Oh, I don't think they're getting back together, either, just that we should appreciate what we get sometimes. The show I saw was billed as Aaron Freeman and it was him and his like 16 year old guitar player, playing poo poo like The Argus acoustic with everyone in the crowd singing along. It ruled.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Keep in mind that even if they never get back together they still have hundreds upon hundreds of cassettes that I'm sure they will have no problem releasing when the time is right.

At least we can hope...

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Can't wait for the Dean Ween group album. Soundboard audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-vctVanErY

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
You can now stream the entire Freeman album here, if you are one of the people who didn't download the leak:

http://www.spin.com/articles/aaron-freeman-ween-self-titled-debut-partisan-records-stream/

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Two recent additions to Spotify:

FREEMAN
Pure Guava

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Here's a direct link to FREEMAN, because it's ridiculously hard to find on Spotify by searching. There are like four different artists named "Freeman" and because of that, (the guy formerly known as ) Gener has his album listed with a bunch of poo poo by other people.

http://open.spotify.com/album/0NLzDQ8PiItNtUE2XQj33S

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Here's a story on NPR's All Things Considered about Aaron's rehab, recovery, and new album. Really good and powerful stuff. I know that Dean/Mickey has a band too, so things might be set in motion for a reunion tour, but if Aaron wants nothing to do with that lifestyle anymore, I really can't blame him.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Yeah the Freeman album is solid. I hope he keeps cranking them out. This is the direction most Ween fans were afraid they'd go in after White Pepper which is fine by me.

Also, I was kinda shocked to find out that he's only 42. I remember reading some comments about White Pepper like "its ok since they're both like 40 now, but does it have to be so dull?" - they weren't even 30!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I like Freeman. Solid album. Black Bush is definitely my favorite track, and the most "Ween" by far compared to the rest of them. I hope he keeps putting 'em out :)