Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I was so enamored with this solar design that I made a higher quality jpeg of it without turrets so it is easier to see what's going on (note that I also replaced some 2x2 turret blocks with more accumulators; if the biters are getting close enough that those turrets matter, then I have bigger problems)

Parts count:

248 Accumulators
136 Solar Panels
16 Substations
1 Roboport

It is 48x48 tiles big. Peak output is around 8MW, full capacity is 1.2GJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Finished rocket defense in just over 30 hours. I way-overestimated how many processors I needed for it - I had two factories from about mid game to stock up and I had thousands of blue ones left over.

That solar plant above was awesome, as was the smelting block. I ended up having six by the end. I also used the 3:2 wire/chip layout, the fantastic refinery/chem plant underground pipe breakout thing, and various other tricks to tweak items on belts.

I didn't use trains but I did try late game steam (it sucks) before switching to solar.

All in all a fantastic game that I recommend to everyone on the fence.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I really wish there was a way to save plans between games. Not only could you save your own designs between games, but there should be a way to share designs with other people, so I could just download the blueprint of that solar farm and load it up into my game.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

FISHMANPET posted:

I really wish there was a way to save plans between games. Not only could you save your own designs between games, but there should be a way to share designs with other people, so I could just download the blueprint of that solar farm and load it up into my game.

Since they have a dedicated dev for each platform, I think just being able to drag a blueprint onto the desktop to create a lua hash or something is not beyond the realm of possibility. If it were open source I would be tempted to try myself, but for the moment we just gotta let the guys do their thing.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah I'm not going to complain about incomplete features in an alpha game.

I've been playing a Dytech game, and I have to agree with the earlier assesment of Dytech, except I've also included the Warfare mod. There's a "collector" that you can place near your walls that will grab the corpse items off the ground to get them into your logistics networks. One of the items they break down into is bones, which can be "smelted" into charcoal. So now my lasers to kill the biters are powered by the charred corpses of previous biters :black101:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah I'm not going to complain about incomplete features in an alpha game.

I've been playing a Dytech game, and I have to agree with the earlier assesment of Dytech, except I've also included the Warfare mod. There's a "collector" that you can place near your walls that will grab the corpse items off the ground to get them into your logistics networks. One of the items they break down into is bones, which can be "smelted" into charcoal. So now my lasers to kill the biters are powered by the charred corpses of previous biters :black101:

It definitely has some cool stuff, like the whole lava smithing thing which lets you skip the smelting step entirely and convert metal -> liquid -> items. Of course, the problem with this is that there are something like ten different temperatures of lava, lava spawning is broken, different reactions require different temperatures of lava, there are several new types of metals added in, which are required for some random things for some stupid reason, you need sand, which then makes clay, which then makes molds for the liquid metal -> item step, and there's just so much tedious bullshit to wade through before you can set up that production chain that it's incredibly irritating to do. On top of all that, it's such incredibly late game research that by the time it shows up, you've already got a functioning factory anyway, so why bother with the hassle?

And I know I've already bitched about the tools, but I feel the need to do so again. Why in the bloody blue blazes would anyone think that this game needs minecraft-style pickaxe crafting where you start with a godsdamned wooden axe!? Hell, you can, right off the bat, build an automated iron mining drill, so why on earth would anyone with that level of technology hailing from a spacefaring society start with godsdamned wood as an axe? I doubt even neanderthals were ever that stupid; I'm pretty sure they at least started with rocks. It's that kind of philosophy with content for the sake of content without stopping to consider whether or not it adds anything at all to the game (seriously, who even bothers with a pickaxe for ore mining after about 15 minutes into the game?) that bothers me the most about that mod.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
With write access to fluid data, what Dytech (or anybody) can do with lava or whatever expands drastically. Shouldn't need distinct types of lava anymore.

But yeah.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

xarph posted:

I was so enamored with this solar design that I made a higher quality jpeg of it without turrets so it is easier to see what's going on (note that I also replaced some 2x2 turret blocks with more accumulators; if the biters are getting close enough that those turrets matter, then I have bigger problems)

Parts count:

248 Accumulators
136 Solar Panels
16 Substations
1 Roboport

It is 48x48 tiles big. Peak output is around 8MW, full capacity is 1.2GJ.

That is awesome. The turrets are actually lamps, and i am not sure why i have 2x2 blocks of them in the design :iiam:.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I haven't used either because they both seem to add a ton of needless complexity but Dytech:Masterwork as Factorio:Dwarf Fortress right?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

FatCow posted:

I haven't used either because they both seem to add a ton of needless complexity but Dytech:Masterwork as Factorio:Dwarf Fortress right?

Masterwork is actually a half-decent mod, a lot of DyTech adds a bunch of useless content just for the sake of adding content.

Some of it is cool, a lot of DyTech is unnecessary. Thought stone was annoying to find before? Bet you can't wait for stone gears.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

UberJumper posted:

That is awesome. The turrets are actually lamps, and i am not sure why i have 2x2 blocks of them in the design :iiam:.

Yeah I'm not sure why you would need lamps because at night all the accumulators arcing makes it look like something out of the industrial accidents thread.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

I wonder what a good Factorio playlist would be. Music similar to what is in the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIIs-yx01_k

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Quite possibly the oiliest start I've ever had.

I'd share the world, but I am unable to copy the string to my clipboard in Xubuntu.

I'd type it out manually, but I'm unsure of the difference between I and l in the string. Sorry. :(

Can I pack the save file and share it that way?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Sorta. You can extract the map from the savefile using some command line buggery. Google it up, I found it in a forum thread somewhere or another when that guy shared his island file.

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.
For dytech rubber trees, do they produce resin super slowly, or do I have to cut them down to get the resin?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think rubber changed recently, now you have to harvest the rubber trees to get the rubber. I installed a tree farm mod so that I can farm the resin.

So any guide that says you can use collectors is wrong, because I think that recently changed.

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.
Well poo poo. Do you have a link to that tree farm mod on hand? Also is Factorio okay with new mods being added?

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Yes. Adding a mod (just a .zip or subfolder in the mods directory which can then be toggled on or off with a reload) midgame will break replays, which as far as I know nobody really cares about yet anyway.

It's not exactly hard to find; it has its own subforum.
http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=44

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

It is.
I added a recipe crafting sulfur to rubber, because screw manual labour in a game about factories. And you will need a lot of it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The tree farm mod adds a lot of stuff that might be cool, but the production lines are really complicated. There's organic plastic, and also a health pack.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Can anyone recommend some youtube tutorials or something? I'm really liking this game, but hot drat if it's not tricky to learn. When I finally automated green beakers I felt like a genius.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

GodspeedSphere posted:

Can anyone recommend some youtube tutorials or something? I'm really liking this game, but hot drat if it's not tricky to learn. When I finally automated green beakers I felt like a genius.

This dude was alright to watch, someone else mentioned him earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWD7yMEuxKeFAinXB-Zkgdnf

Beside that, play on peaceful and try to do things your own way. The mess of a factory you end up with is hugely satisfying, especially when you look back at it later as you get better, and realize how many dumb things you did.

A recommendation however is to go with the main bus idea. Have a HUGE area of land ahead, bring in ore in the middle then branch it out, copper one side, iron the other. Make smelters along this axis, and bring the smelted products back towards the middle, turning it away from where the ore comes in. This is your main bus, like the trunk on a tree, with the ore + smelter setup as the roots. Use splitters and tunnels to branch out the materials you need, and bring the product back to the main trunk (on it's own belt) if it is something you will use a lot of. Electronic circuits and gears are good examples. Over time, the tree will be huge, lot's of long branches. If you want to think ahead, have one or two free spaces between each belt going up the trunk, in case you need more materials going up.

But again, I prefer to play on peaceful, but I prefer the factory building aspect of the game, not the combat aspect. Opinions will vary.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The best part is loading up your game the next day and then trying to work out where everything goes.

I have a couple of factories where certain items seem to actively vanish but if I divert them before they vanish everything stops working and I have no idea why. They're not being used by anything as far as I can tell but they seem to be an intrinsic part of the factory's function. :iiam:

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
Don't bus gears if you need iron for anything else. They build so fast they will take up most of your iron and just leave you with two empty busses. Make them early In each branch.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Dementedghost posted:

Don't bus gears if you need iron for anything else. They build so fast they will take up most of your iron and just leave you with two empty busses. Make them early In each branch.

This is wrong. If you're running out of iron from bussing gears, you don't have enough iron coming in. The depot at the head of your bus for all basic parts (gears, plates, electronic circuits and such) should be in the 100K unit range, allowing for a buffer that can feed high volume production runs, and then build back up when you aren't actively consuming them.

EDIT: That Arumba guy who's LP was linked earlier is a terrible person to learn from. He intentionally lowers the efficiency of his layouts rather than building for max throughput, which is just wrong.

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 2, 2014

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Or use splitters to help ration your stuff.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Kenlon posted:

EDIT: That Arumba guy who's LP was linked earlier is a terrible person to learn from. He intentionally lowers the efficiency of his layouts rather than building for max throughput, which is just wrong.

Can you recommend someone better? Because I just spent the past hour trying to figure out why my red and green research lines weren't working, only to realize that I hadn't told it to research anything. I really like the game, but by god the complexity is boggling.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Play through the tutorial, it should give you a good grasp of all the basics (there's a level on research, for example).

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Also, read the game tips.

And check out the mini belt tutorials.
http://imgur.com/a/qQrLS
http://imgur.com/a/zrtmI

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shintaro posted:

These are actually really helpful, there's a few useful things that I never realized!

FISHMANPET posted:

Play through the tutorial, it should give you a good grasp of all the basics (there's a level on research, for example).

That's good, but the tutorials really only give the basics of gameplace. People are mentioning things like using busses, I'd love some favored examples of how to do this, or how to manage supply chains, etc.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Volmarias posted:

That's good, but the tutorials really only give the basics of gameplace. People are mentioning things like using busses, I'd love some favored examples of how to do this, or how to manage supply chains, etc.

Here's my latest example of a bus that was both efficient, and also essentially infinitely expandable. Basically simple components form the core of your factory, and branch off to create more complex components. Have a read of the following, and make sure you view the pic in full size so that you can track what's going where and why.

Breetai posted:

I while ago I posted about making a main bus that was just the basic building blocks i.e. every component that couldn't be manufactures by an assembler, or that it would be impractical to manufacture on demand due to how much of them are used (i.e. green circuits). I also posted about leaving a 2-square gap between belts, as this would let you branch components off the bus without worrying about having to alter the belts of any other components.

Its. So. Orderly.

Left to right is steel, iron, copper, green circuits, plastic, batteries, red circuits. I'm manufacturing almost everything in assemblers rather than by hand, and can put down 48 accumulator/24 solar panel groupings and 8 turret & wall groupings using blueprints only. My research/science production is infinitely expandable, as is circuitry and smelting. You can just see where raw copper/iron plates enter the factory at the very bottom.

Also: never bother with creating bus conveyers (or indeed any conveyers) for intermediary objects like cogs and copper wire (green circuits are perhaps the only exception because they're used in so many recipes). Just run the raw materials past and have an extra assembler load the intermediary component directly into the machine that needs it. Eventually you'll be producing them with L3 assemblers anyway, and those practically require the inserter stack size bonus that you get from loading from assembler-to-assembler to keep up anyway. Besides, and additional assembler or two is far cheaper than a row of conveyers, and makes your base far less byzantine.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

GodspeedSphere posted:

Can you recommend someone better? Because I just spent the past hour trying to figure out why my red and green research lines weren't working, only to realize that I hadn't told it to research anything. I really like the game, but by god the complexity is boggling.

Press Alt. Now you can see what every assembler, chest, and smelter is doing; you would have known your assemblers had nothing assigned at a glance. It should honestly be the default view in this game, it's not like the graphics are so eye pleasing that you'll want to be staring at lines assemblers.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

This game looks awesome. Just looking at stuff being made and moved around is already fun.

Couple of short questions:
1) What things have to be added to and changed in the current version for release?
2) Is there an estimated release date?
3) Will there be price changes at release?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Shintaro posted:

Thanks so much. These little tips are exactly the sort of help I need.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

This game looks awesome. Just looking at stuff being made and moved around is already fun.

1) What things have to be added to and changed in the current version for release?

It's not as exact as you probably want, but this is their roadmap. I think the pricing question has been alluded to as well, but I don't remember what/where. I don't think there's an exact answer.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

While Factorio might be the most fun and playable Alpha build of a game I've ever seen, it is still Alpha. The endgame Rocket Defense, for example, has no art. It's just a gray block that says "Rocket Defense." There is a lot that can still be added to the game. They're working hard on the multiplayer component right now, and once that releases the bug reports will increase exponentially. There's no release date, and the price has already gone up once iirc.

I strongly recommend you play The Demo.
If you can spend even a couple hours in the demo and have fun, I guarantee the full alpha will return your money's worth and then some.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Multiplayer sounds kinda cool. I wonder how big the endgame, combat and simulation changes will be. If they are big I think I'll wait until I buy it.

I made the mistake of buying Minrcraft too early. I can't build stuff if I know there will be new things to use and take into account regularly.

Edit: Oh, there is a demo. Very good. It's sad that demos are becoming so rare nowadays.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 3, 2014

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Have there really been no major additions since the sound and art pass of ~0.10? I feel like I've not played since June or so and nothing has actually happened all this time :/

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Mr. Wynand posted:

Have there really been no major additions since the sound and art pass of ~0.10? I feel like I've not played since June or so and nothing has actually happened all this time :/

They stopped doing features in favor of focusing on bugs and multiplayer. They've also added quite a bit of functionality to the mod API to let mods do some more crazy stuff. So it hasn't changed much on the surface but all the behind-the-scenes stuff is progressing really nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Is it possible to set up proper logic circuits yet? I've been looking over circuits, but as far as I can tell this is not really an option. What I really wanna do is have a single bus belt that ferries down resources when a given production chain (Y)'s supply chest goes under a certain number of material X, and make sure that no grabbers along the bus take the items that are being ferried to Y. I'd also need a queue system, so that if another production line also requests X, its order isn't ignored/overwriting the order of Y. I already have a pretty decent idea of how I'd implement that if I had some basic logic gates and latches, but so far I haven't come across anything resembling this. Did I miss something? If not, does anyone know if this is a thing they might implement in the future?

Also, I know there are alternatives to busses at a later point in the game, but the :spergin: in me is pretty adament about making this thing a reality. I think my greatest weakness with this game is overcomplicating things for very minor rewards :v: (in this case less space used for busses)