Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rathi04
Dec 31, 2006

Grawl posted:

So, you have an upgrade key? You failed to mention this in the last few posts you made.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/735517-how-install-windows-8-1-clean-your-windows-8-upgrade-key.html
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sub...ndex=0&FileId=0

Grab an x64 Win8.1 ISO and install it. That should be it.

I appreciate all your help and will check out those links. I should have made it more clear in my first post. I put it in the second sentence but referred to it as just the windows key and not the upgrade key, I apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

crestfallen posted:

Do most people just use VLC on Windows these days, or is it some package of stuff like CCCP?

I always use Media Player Classic Homecinema, with MadVR as my presenter.

But I did use CCCP to install everything in the first place before configuring stuff I wanted, but I doubt that's necessary at all these days.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 26, 2014

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I've been helping my neighbour with his recent computer issues. He has an iMac (brand new this spring) which is running bootcamp Win 8.1 as its primary OS.

In the last ten days it's now twice developed a fault in the boot process which takes it to the blue 'troubleshooting' screen. Last time I fixed it by

1) going into Mac OS and imaging the windows volume to protect against losing any data

2) running the 'refresh' option on the troubleshooting screen

3) realising that all of his apps were removed by the 'refresh' option, I zapped the bootcamp partition to try and restore from the image (I now understand that this doesn't work because of the way bootcamp installs windows)

4) reinstalled Win 8.1 and all of his apps

So I'm hoping I did some really unnecessary stuff there, otherwise fixing it again will take me just as long. Following the reinstall of windows and the apps, I set up the 'file sync' function (or whatever it's called) in Win 8.1 to back up to an external drive.

So I guess I have two questions about how to proceed:

1) I'm hoping that there is an easy way to restore the apps and so on using the backups that have been built up on the drive?

2) I'm also hoping to see if there is any way to diagnose this boot issue and try to prevent it happening again, because this is seriously ticking him off and I simply don't have time to sort it out every couple of weeks.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
1) It's unclear what kind of backups you have. You said "(or whatever it's called)" which is unfortunately not enough information because what it's called is important. If you mean File History, then that will only contain what it told you it would be backing up: files in the user's library (pictures, docs, music, etc) and not applications

2) Again you've given almost no information here. However for future reference, don't use bootcamp to set up Windows 7+ partitions. OS X and recent versions of Windows both support native booting from EFI partitions, so just partition the disk manually, and boot from an EFI flash drive. Bootcamp will set up a legacy hybrid MBR setup which is asking for headaches.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Factor Mystic posted:

1) It's unclear what kind of backups you have. You said "(or whatever it's called)" which is unfortunately not enough information because what it's called is important. If you mean File History, then that will only contain what it told you it would be backing up: files in the user's library (pictures, docs, music, etc) and not applications

2) Again you've given almost no information here. However for future reference, don't use bootcamp to set up Windows 7+ partitions. OS X and recent versions of Windows both support native booting from EFI partitions, so just partition the disk manually, and boot from an EFI flash drive. Bootcamp will set up a legacy hybrid MBR setup which is asking for headaches.

Thanks. Yeah I realise it's very vague - I'm not actually at the computer right now, just trying to arm myself with some info before I go over to have a go at it.

And that's awesome about not having to use Bootcamp - I had no idea. I will definitely do that from now on.

Edit: Sorry I meant to add - I set up the file history function but I also did a full system image backup onto the external drive. In looking to find the name of it I realise that it should be able to do what I want, so sorry for the dumb question.

Thanks again!

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 26, 2014

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Ok so I have a 4k monitor and a 1080 monitor hooked up to the same PC running windows 8.1 . The 4k is the primary screen and I am trying to get it to increase the font size/icon size to be easier to read. In the display settings there is the slider but it makes the 1080 monitor larger while doing nothing to the 4k screen. I assume there is some way to do this but I am at a loss.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Nintendo Kid posted:

Frankly the whole lawsuit about browser competition was silly since Netscape was dying anyway due to wanting actual money for a browser that they didn't bother keeping updated; and other at the time paid browsers like Opera weren't really capable of matching feature sets yet.
Purely out of interest, did Microsoft actually do anything to deserve accusations of anti-competitive tactics there, or was that just a case of Netscape being salty because nobody wants to pay for a browser? It certainly doesn't seem like Microsoft had any reason to give poo poo, considering that they've never charged for IE.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Read the judge's decision in the case. It's surprisingly accessible and informative.

http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F3/253/34/576095/

quote:

Microsoft's efforts to gain market share in one market (browsers) served to meet the threat to Microsoft's monopoly in another market (operating systems) by keeping rival browsers from gaining the critical mass of users necessary to attract developer attention away from Windows as the platform for software development.

Microsoft was using IE to kill Netscape not because they wanted to have the best browser. Netscape provided APIs (Java, Javascript, etc) that would allow applications to be developed that would run on any OS (aka webapps). Having apps that would run on any platform would lower the barrier for customers to switch to an alternative OS.

It wasn't so much about Microsoft giving away IE. It was about Microsoft using it's monopoly in the OS market to ensure IE was installed instead of Netscape, and securing exclusive deals with other companies, all to protect their OS monopoly.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Lork posted:

Purely out of interest, did Microsoft actually do anything to deserve accusations of anti-competitive tactics there, or was that just a case of Netscape being salty because nobody wants to pay for a browser? It certainly doesn't seem like Microsoft had any reason to give poo poo, considering that they've never charged for IE.

There are different philosophies at play here. There's one side (notably free market supporters and libertarians) whom see antitrust regulations primarily used not for public benefit, but instead used by industries to gain advantages against their competitors by suing them. This side also believes that having one company in an industry isn't necessarily a sign of a monopoly (they could just be really good and no one else comes close to their quality at the moment). The true test of a monopoly would be whether there are any legal barriers to entry (The taxi industry and moving companies are often used as an example). Which side you subscribe too will affect whether you think Microsoft deserved its accusations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lork posted:

They told OEMs they wouldn't get the best discounts on Windows licenses if they bundled paid copies of Netscape with their PCs. But paying for Netscape to bundle with PCs already cost the OEMs a decent chunk of money to begin with - which was why many PC makers had been avoiding bundling Netscape with their PCs before Microsoft started changing pricing agreements.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Microsoft was using IE to kill Netscape not because they wanted to have the best browser. Netscape provided APIs (Java, Javascript, etc) that would allow applications to be developed that would run on any OS (aka webapps). Having apps that would run on any platform would lower the barrier for customers to switch to an alternative OS.

It wasn't so much about Microsoft giving away IE. It was about Microsoft using it's monopoly in the OS market to ensure IE was installed instead of Netscape, and securing exclusive deals with other companies, all to protect their OS monopoly.

Netscape didn't invent Java, and IE already had superior Javascript support by the time the trial happened. Additionally, Netscape development effectively halted for many years because they hosed up developing Netscape 5 and Netscape 4 was wholly incapable of delivering meaningful web application experiences. Not to mention that it was Microsoft that invented the first major AJAX web app: outlook web access.

In other words, Netscape was hyping up supposed features they manifestly couldn't deliver, Netscape was never a threat to Microsoft's OS dominance. Even today where web apps are a thing people actually use and IE's a minority browser, Microsoft still controls about the same OS share as they did in 99.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 30, 2014

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in windows 7, using a standard american keyboard, is it possible ot type accented letters without inputting alt codes or copy pasting them? how do people type french without going insane?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I haven't used it for French specifically, but you can install the French Language IME in the keyboard regional settings. When you switch between the English layout to French, it should allow you to add the accented letters with a keypress rather than alt-codes, et. al.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
US-International is the layout I usually use. It's a standard US layout, except that one of the alt and ctrl keys gives you additional characters when held, and apostrophes and tildes become accent marks if followed by an appropriate character.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Thanks guys. I knew it had to be more complex than it looks like from the outside, as these things always are. It just looks really black and white if you don't know the details.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Toast Museum posted:

US-International is the layout I usually use. It's a standard US layout, except that one of the alt and ctrl keys gives you additional characters when held, and apostrophes and tildes become accent marks if followed by an appropriate character.

That sounds way better than the disaster that is the Canadian Multilingual Keyboard layout.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
This Microsoft knowledge base article gives you a good rundown of how the US-International keyboard layout works. You can also add the language bar to switch between different input modes.

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

From the frozen north a... squirrel emerges?!?
:haw:
I've been looking into backup software due to a recent hard drive failure. Preferably I'd like to be back to restore my single desktop computer if there was a catastrophic failure. I'd like to be able to restore to bare metal, regardless of hardware type. I'd also like to be able to backup and restore individual files/folders easily in case I delete something by mistake etc. Looking around it seems there are two popular options Acronis True Image and Shadow Protect. Does anyone have experience with these two pieces of software? How was it? Which one's better? Is there another alternative I should look into?

SuperNuts fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 1, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

SuperNuts posted:

Is there another alternative I should look into?
Macrium Reflect Free

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So, this is maybe not the right thread. Is there a way to set keyboard shortcuts using a gamepad without having to redo everything through joypadder? Specifically trying to setup a way to do stuff like Alt-F4 by hitting the guide button and A or something like that.

Actually poo poo, does XPADDER just do this by default? I don't want to screw with the xinput stuff, just add some shortcuts without breaking everything.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 1, 2014

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm looking for a program that just temporarily keeps a Windows PC from sleeping. Most of the time, I just want the PC to shut off after 20-45 minutes. Occasionally, I want it to stay on for 1-4 hours so I can remote in from somewhere else. I'd like to do this without changing the power profile each time, then remembering to switch it back later.

I don't really want a tray app or anything. The ideal would be a simple, separate program that runs, makes a power request to Windows to stay on, then kills itself after a set time, allowing Windows to go back to normal. A batch file would be fine, or an AutoHotKey script.

edit: Caffeine may be close enough to what I want. I'd rather it didn't work by pushing a key every 59 seconds, but it says it won't interfere with work. Problem (hopefully) solved. (http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/caffeine/index.html)

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 2, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Falcon2001 posted:

So, this is maybe not the right thread. Is there a way to set keyboard shortcuts using a gamepad without having to redo everything through joypadder? Specifically trying to setup a way to do stuff like Alt-F4 by hitting the guide button and A or something like that.

Actually poo poo, does XPADDER just do this by default? I don't want to screw with the xinput stuff, just add some shortcuts without breaking everything.
I use Joy2Key to do this. My specific use case, which'll give you a sense of what's possible: Joy2Key launches on startup. In Joy2Key I have some gamepad buttons mapped to keyboard keys, and those keyboard keys are a shortcut for "close" in FCEU (emulator). This lets me use my gamepad to browse around in XMBC and launch a video game. When I am done with the video game, I hit a combination of buttons on the gamepad (up, select and RB) which corresponds to like, alt-shift-8 on the keyboard, which in turn is mapped as "exit program" in FCEU, which spits me back into XBMC.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

A Major Fucker posted:

in windows 7, using a standard american keyboard, is it possible ot type accented letters without inputting alt codes or copy pasting them? how do people type french without going insane?

For Danish I used a piece of software called SharpKeys to create a custom keyboard layout. It's a standard UK layout but alt-gr (shift)gives me å æ ø Å Æ Ø when pressing a,e or o. But using Windows with different languages is a pain the arse.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Sri.Theo posted:

For Danish I used a piece of software called SharpKeys to create a custom keyboard layout. It's a standard UK layout but alt-gr (shift)gives me å æ ø Å Æ Ø when pressing a,e or o. But using Windows with different languages is a pain the arse.

I did the same thing on my keyboard layout, but I didn't use SharpKeys, I used Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator, which creates standard keyboard files that can be re-used on any windows machine. (Among many custom changes, then I bought a WASD keyboard with keycaps to reflect my custom layout).

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Very quick question which definitely doesn't need a thread:

I have a HDD in a caddy and I need to determine the OS on it. It's Win7, we know that much, but not what flavour. Is there a file in the filesystem we can check which has this information? The computer it came out of is broken so we can't boot it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

thehustler posted:

Very quick question which definitely doesn't need a thread:

I have a HDD in a caddy and I need to determine the OS on it. It's Win7, we know that much, but not what flavour. Is there a file in the filesystem we can check which has this information? The computer it came out of is broken so we can't boot it.

If you load windows\system32\config\software in regedit on another machine, you can find version info somewhere in there.

e: here ya go https://blog.skullsecurity.org/2010/find-the-windows-version-offline

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder can do the same thing, basically.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Ace. Thanks x 2

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I've got a weird sleep issue with Win7. If I put the computer to sleep and wake it up within a minute or so it works fine. However, if I leave it sleeping for a few hours and wake it up it will sound like its waking but my displays are both black. Not black screens, but stand-by mode. I hear hard drives spinning up and the power light goes to steady on but no feedback on the display. Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing either.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Shaocaholica posted:

I've got a weird sleep issue with Win7. If I put the computer to sleep and wake it up within a minute or so it works fine. However, if I leave it sleeping for a few hours and wake it up it will sound like its waking but my displays are both black. Not black screens, but stand-by mode. I hear hard drives spinning up and the power light goes to steady on but no feedback on the display. Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing either.

Are all WIndows updates/drivers/BIOS up to date?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

c0burn posted:

Are all WIndows updates/drivers/BIOS up to date?

Yep.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
gently caress Windows 8 and 8.1 and trying to teach clients how to use it, when we have it installed on zero of our computers so I don't even know myself. I'm taking Windows 7 and installing it over all their computers since that's what they're used to and it's much simpler to use, and easier for me to manage.

How do I do this? Because apparently Microsoft didn't want to make it easy for people to downgrade back to Windows 7 on computers that have 8 pre-installed. I can't even find legacy boot settings in Windows 8.1, and inserting a DVD into the drive just tells me I don't have a patrician to install Windows 7 to and quits the setup.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Flameingblack posted:

gently caress Windows 8 and 8.1 and trying to teach clients how to use it, when we have it installed on zero of our computers so I don't even know myself. I'm taking Windows 7 and installing it over all their computers since that's what they're used to and it's much simpler to use, and easier for me to manage.

How do I do this? Because apparently Microsoft didn't want to make it easy for people to downgrade back to Windows 7 on computers that have 8 pre-installed. I can't even find legacy boot settings in Windows 8.1, and inserting a DVD into the drive just tells me I don't have a patrician to install Windows 7 to and quits the setup.

To boot from install media you have to turn secure boot off in the BIOS UEFI

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Why not install 8 on your own computers and learn how to use it???????

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Flameingblack posted:

Why don't you just install Classic Hell for the Win8 clients? It'll be Windows 7 UI-wise, but better in performance.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

gently caress learning a new OS amirite.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I guess nobody else has a 4k screen so I am SOL on that question.

Other probably simpler question I have is I have a TV plugged into the HDMI in and the monitor through dp. When I turn the screens off then back on all my windows move onto the dp screen. The DP screen is set as the primary. Is there any way to stop this happening? Running windows 8.1

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Byolante posted:

Well for what it's worth, I'd never heard of a 4k screen and your post made me first look it up, then fall in love with it. Further reading seemed to indicate that they're not quite ready for mass adoption at any price point I'm going to enjoy, care to convince me otherwise instead of worry about that silly rear end HDMI problem?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Well for what it's worth, I'd never heard of a 4k screen and your post made me first look it up, then fall in love with it. Further reading seemed to indicate that they're not quite ready for mass adoption at any price point I'm going to enjoy, care to convince me otherwise instead of worry about that silly rear end HDMI problem?

Its is totally impracticle for anything other than CAD and Modelling which is what I use it for. Don't buy one, wait for there to be proper support. If you want more screen estate get a 1440p monitor.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Byolante posted:

Other probably simpler question I have is I have a TV plugged into the HDMI in and the monitor through dp. When I turn the screens off then back on all my windows move onto the dp screen. The DP screen is set as the primary. Is there any way to stop this happening? Running windows 8.1

I don't think so, it's Windows detecting the monitor no longer exists and shifting windows back to a visible screen.

Doesn't happen with Ye Olde DVI, which is why when I set my new monitor up, I tried DisplayPort, then immediately went back to DVI.

It's by design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

GreenNight posted:

gently caress learning a new OS amirite.
It isnt that I have to learn it. It's that I have to teach every client we have how to use it, most of which call us when they can't change their homepage. The difference between 7 -> 8.1 is going to cause some of them to melt down.