Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

benito posted:

Whatever their press release says, the patent trolls are still doing something that is totally legal. They only back down when it would cost them more to fight than they would get. This will not end until stops listening to (and taking donations from) big pharma, trial lawyers, and the biotech industry, because they all profit from the current status quo of patent law. However, in the Carolla world, if you oppose big pharma, you're some hippie/commie/faith healer/ignoramus who is out to destroy people who pay taxes.

I'm not mad at Carolla, but his righteous anger is very misplaced and he keeps defending an industry that is the ultimate reason why he got sued.

Edit: More detail

You are technically correct but if you say the words 'big pharma' to me I'm going to assume you're an ignoramus/hippie/naturopath/etc as well because that's the reality of the world we live in. It has nothing to do with how the pharmaceutical industry lobbies for patents and everything to do with people who hate vaccines and chemotherapy and pump their children full of industrial chemicals to get rid of the autism. Pharmaceutical companies are awful but their output allows millions of people to live every year that otherwise would be dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Ariza posted:

You are technically correct but if you say the words 'big pharma' to me I'm going to assume you're an ignoramus/hippie/naturopath/etc as well because that's the reality of the world we live in. It has nothing to do with how the pharmaceutical industry lobbies for patents and everything to do with people who hate vaccines and chemotherapy and pump their children full of industrial chemicals to get rid of the autism. Pharmaceutical companies are awful but their output allows millions of people to live every year that otherwise would be dead.

We actually agree with each other, "Big Pharma" is just shorthand for the pharmaceutical industry, and I specifically used that language because it is what Carolla uses when he rants against people who have *any* objection against that particular industry. It is possible for an intelligent human being to hold in his mind the concept that modern medicine is a wonderful thing while also noting that the Congressional lobbying by said industry leads to unintended consequences like podcast patent trolls. Carolla, or more specifically, his broadcast persona, does not acknowledge such contradictions. If I criticize GM it does not mean that I want us all to ride horses.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

benito posted:

We actually agree with each other, "Big Pharma" is just shorthand for the pharmaceutical industry, and I specifically used that language because it is what Carolla uses when he rants against people who have *any* objection against that particular industry. It is possible for an intelligent human being to hold in his mind the concept that modern medicine is a wonderful thing while also noting that the Congressional lobbying by said industry leads to unintended consequences like podcast patent trolls. Carolla, or more specifically, his broadcast persona, does not acknowledge such contradictions. If I criticize GM it does not mean that I want us all to ride horses.

Sorry, I guess I just needed to get on my high horse for a second and take offense to something today. Carolla is mostly annoying in everything he champions anymore and I particularly hate how much he says his line hasn't changed throughout his career. He really needs some humility, and I think once Lynette leaves him and takes the kids and his fortune finally drains, we'll get the old Adam back.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Ariza posted:

Sorry, I guess I just needed to get on my high horse for a second and take offense to something today. Carolla is mostly annoying in everything he champions anymore and I particularly hate how much he says his line hasn't changed throughout his career. He really needs some humility, and I think once Lynette leaves him and takes the kids and his fortune finally drains, we'll get the old Adam back.

And when that happens, the two of us will smile, clink virtual beers together, and then be quietly depressed that we're celebrating the breakup of a marriage.

gently caress it, let's just enjoy the holiday weekend. Cheers!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ariza posted:

You gotta be kidding me. If anything, he'll become more bitter, because nobody's around to ground him (not that they help much now, but imagine how much worse it'd get).

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You gotta be kidding me. If anything, he'll become more bitter, because nobody's around to ground him (not that they help much now, but imagine how much worse it'd get).

Yeah, losing out 27% of his income so his wife can spoil his kids rotten and have nanny do all the work will not bode well for the podcast.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

The DAG episode is pretty loving good by the way. NO peanut, no teddy until like literally the very end, and DAG/Adam may have stumbled onto a pretty loving funny rear end bit.

Thanks! I love it when other posters point out good podcasts. I usually hit up names I know will be good.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Ariza posted:

You can strongly prove that point in a single move just by pulling up those loving Dennis Prager shows he did. Check this track list (or summary of topics, whatever you wanna call it) here:

quote:

01 - Adam Carolla Opening
02 - Introductions
03 - Optimism, Pessimism and Parents
04 - Little League and Jewish Food
05 - The Death Penalty
06 - Marriage and Trust
07 - Psychology and Religion
08 - Israel
09 - Trying to Convert Adam
10 - Would Adam Go to Heaven

11 - No American Flag Outside Charter School
12 - Are Hitler and Mother Teresa Enjoying the Same Eternity
13 - Will Adam Narrate Dennis' Audiobook
14 - Scientific Advances vs 2000 Year Old Texts
15 - What Does Adam Tell His Kids About God

16 - Introductions (Show 2)
17 - Balance and Broadcasting
18 - Welfare
19 - Vices and the Differences Between Men and Women
20 - Hitler and Stalin
21 - What is Evil to an Atheist
22 - Adam and Dennis Together in Heaven

23 - Why Does Hollywood Lean Left
Now, I only bolded the 'Adam would have never tolerated questions this loving retarded in the Loveline days' ones. You can see that half of them are bullshit conservative political issues. This is what Adam really wanted to spend his time doing: Talking about displaying the American flag outside of charter schools and about how welfare is bad with a far-right-wing Christian fundamentalist retardate.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Veskit posted:

The DAG episode is pretty loving good by the way. NO peanut, no teddy until like literally the very end, and DAG/Adam may have stumbled onto a pretty loving funny rear end bit.

"Gimme some of that skull."

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
DAG doing the hard knocks style game film with the strippers was the best thing I've heard in a long time.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
That's disrespectful

Lose it every time I think about it.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Looks like Adam wrapped up the patent troll case just in time to work on the Weez:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/02/showbiz/adam-carolla-podcast-lawsuit/index.html?c=showbiz&page=0

Would imagine that this coming up so fast, it would make him want to wrap up the PT case like he did. This one doesn't sound as bad, but it's still probably gotta be draining just because of it being his ex friend.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Holy poo poo those Geragos quotes are brutal.

Has there been any legal experts that weighed in on this? Just curious if Donny's lawsuit has a chance of succeeding.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
I work in corporate litigation, actually.

IMO, Adam should come out fine. That is if there isn't a written contract of some kind. It sounds like Donny's whole case is him inferring "we are going to be rich, etc." as him being an equal partner which, if he wasn't put on the business name, written into anything related to a contract or otherwise, means he's entitled to nothing. That honestly sounds like his whole case.

That being said, I remember the first podcast and Adam saying this was all Donny's idea. That, coupled with him being the "big bad guy" who dumped his friend and is now a podcast king, may cause the jury to find favoritism with Donny. And when it comes to jurors, they're always a gamble.. particularly in California.

Just my initial thoughts based off what little there is to go off of.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Move your goddamn motorbikes out of my garage, Donny.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

I work in corporate litigation, actually.

IMO, Adam should come out fine. That is if there isn't a written contract of some kind. It sounds like Donny's whole case is him inferring "we are going to be rich, etc." as him being an equal partner which, if he wasn't put on the business name, written into anything related to a contract or otherwise, means he's entitled to nothing. That honestly sounds like his whole case.

That being said, I remember the first podcast and Adam saying this was all Donny's idea. That, coupled with him being the "big bad guy" who dumped his friend and is now a podcast king, may cause the jury to find favoritism with Donny. And when it comes to jurors, they're always a gamble.. particularly in California.

Just my initial thoughts based off what little there is to go off of.

Lmao doing IT work for a corporate lawyer doesn't mean you work in corporate litigation.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

Skip My Posts posted:

Lmao doing IT work for a corporate lawyer doesn't mean you work in corporate litigation.

What are you going on about? I never said I worked in IT, or that I worked for a lawyer.

Thanks for contributing.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

What are you going on about? I never said I worked in IT, or that I worked for a lawyer.

Thanks for contributing.

Did you not read his name?

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
Touché.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't know if Adam's just in a better place with life right now but the show has been much better of late. Last year it felt like the show became a chore to him and he was going through the motions. Now he seems to have some energy and isn't as big a curmudgeon.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

Niwrad posted:

I don't know if Adam's just in a better place with life right now but the show has been much better of late. Last year it felt like the show became a chore to him and he was going through the motions. Now he seems to have some energy and isn't as big a curmudgeon.

Agreed. Had the same feeling the other day. He's not coming across near as cranky, angry or on the edge of exploding. Which, from the podcasts Drew did with Ray and Lynette, sounds like he was on the verge of stroking out at any moment.

Surprising considering the litigation he's going into back to back.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Looks like it's over: http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/09/showbiz/adam-carolla-podcast-settlement/index.html?hpt=hp_12

This though :staredog:

quote:

The deal was reached after the judge issued a ruling that limited Misraje's claim for damages from 2009 to 2012, the year Carolla fired him. Misraje had sought a share of the podcast profits until 2017.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
What is the Rowdy Roddy Piper story?

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Tom Sizemore was hosed up during this interview, right?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Red posted:

What is the Rowdy Roddy Piper story?

He was at party and Roddy put someone to sleep in a sleeper hold I think.

Uncle Sal or some other flunky.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

quote:

Jury finds CBS infringes podcasting patent, awards $1.3 million
"Patent troll" lost its damages case, but it can move on to trials against NBC, Fox.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/09/jury-finds-cbs-infringes-podcasting-patent-awards-1-3-million/

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

That's awesome that with the deep pockets of CBS they could only get 1.3 million. No wonder they dropped Corolla.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
It still sucks that Adam decided to settle, since apparently he had the best shot of beating those guys because he could use more prior art at trial than the EFF. Wonder why he went through with it after being all rah rah rah and muh free speech about fighting the case.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Peter North posted:

It still sucks that Adam decided to settle, since apparently he had the best shot of beating those guys because he could use more prior art at trial than the EFF. Wonder why he went through with it after being all rah rah rah and muh free speech about fighting the case.

He has a profound ignorance about the legal issues of patent law, and doesn't realize that what the patent trolls are doing is perfectly legal. I don't know if he needs better lawyers or just isn't listening to the ones he has, but a courtroom isn't a place where you can win just by screaming louder than everyone else and ignoring all facts. I hate it for him, but his recent legal defeats could have been a lot less expensive if he'd just owned up to reality.

I mostly feel bad for all the fans that ponied up cash to support him. Those guys don't have a bunch of expensive sports cars sitting around in a garage.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

benito posted:

He has a profound ignorance about the legal issues of patent law, and doesn't realize that what the patent trolls are doing is perfectly legal. I don't know if he needs better lawyers or just isn't listening to the ones he has, but a courtroom isn't a place where you can win just by screaming louder than everyone else and ignoring all facts. I hate it for him, but his recent legal defeats could have been a lot less expensive if he'd just owned up to reality.

I mostly feel bad for all the fans that ponied up cash to support him. Those guys don't have a bunch of expensive sports cars sitting around in a garage.

I heard it wasn't the legality, but his chances of recuperating his costs. In East Texas, this chance is NIL.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I was totally cool with him funding his attorney fees through fan donations while the whole thing was going on and I thought it was great but this whole "get us back to zero" thing kind of annoys me at this point. Its like man, people paid what they want to pay, loving let it go at this point. Yeah sucks you got sued by some dickheads but chalk it up to cost of doing business and stop hounding your fans about getting you back down to zero.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

visuvius posted:

I was totally cool with him funding his attorney fees through fan donations while the whole thing was going on and I thought it was great but this whole "get us back to zero" thing kind of annoys me at this point. Its like man, people paid what they want to pay, loving let it go at this point. Yeah sucks you got sued by some dickheads but chalk it up to cost of doing business and stop hounding your fans about getting you back down to zero.

I agree for a different reason. On one hand, it's total bullshit to be sued for doing nothing wrong under any legal definition, and having to pay millions of dollars to defend yourself! On the other hand, you never shut up about driving multiple luxury cars, any 5 of which you could do without.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

UltraRed posted:

I agree for a different reason. On one hand, it's total bullshit to be sued for doing nothing wrong under any legal definition, and having to pay millions of dollars to defend yourself! On the other hand, you never shut up about driving multiple luxury cars, any 5 of which you could do without.

Which is the biggest reason I refused to donate. He is NOT a poor man. But he wanted his fans to donate to pay for it. And he what's funny is no one bothered to change over the amazon affiliate to help pay for it, I doubt be dumped any of his advertising revenue into it. He really just wanted his fans to pony up so that he could "beat the troll down." And when he ran out of fan money, what did he do? He settled. I refuse to believe that he didn't have some money in the coffers to defend this on his own dime. He's got multiple properties, a car collection, he just bought a new home, and he goes auto racing all the time. He may not be Leno, but he had cash to spare.

For someone who wanted to win and teach them a lesson, he failed miserably. If he really wanted to set a precedent, take it all the way to a jury trial, and possibly the Supreme Court. There is no precedent for this type of lawsuit--it's a new deal. So beat them down, win the suit, and give every other company whose fighting these battles currently some ammunition for their own defense. If he won, it would have gone a long way in stopping this from continuing to gain momentum.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Peter North posted:

I was under the impression that he effectively won the settlement and did what he was out to do which is protect other podcasts from getting sued? Did I read an entirely different story or something? I mean what more did anyone want to have happen besides this exact situation? Or does it have to go to court to count as a good cause and use of people's money?

quote:

Personal Audio simply found out podcasters—even famous ones like Carolla—just don't make that much money, so it isn't interested in suing them.

It includes the odd tidbit of naming six big podcasters it won't sue, including Joe Rogan and Marc Maron. The six named podcasters have all been supportive of Carolla and presumably are in there because Carolla's people insisted they be "immunized" in writing.

The relevant part of the press release reads:

In addition to announcing its agreement with Mr. Carolla, Personal Audio would like to take this opportunity to issue a more general statement to the podcasting community. Previously, Personal Audio announced that it did not intend to sue any podcasters making modest amounts of revenues for infringement of US Patent No. 8,112,504. Indeed, Personal Audio has dismissed several podcasters from litigation because it was not worth litigating over the amount of damages involved.

Personal Audio understands that, notwithstanding its dismissals of several podcasters and its previously-publicized intention not to sue podcasters making modest amounts of money for infringing its patents, there is still a great deal of concern in the podcasting community surrounding potential patent litigation from Personal Audio. Accordingly, Personal Audio would like to again announce that it has no intention of suing podcasters that are making modest amounts of money from podcasting. In particular, Personal Audio has no intention of suing the following podcasters: (1) the Nerdist; (2) Ear Wolf; (3) Podcast One; (4) Joe Rogan; (5) Marc Maron; and (6) Jay Mohr.

Through this disclosure, Personal Audio hopes that it will assuage the podcasting community's concerns and speculation regarding potential future patent litigation.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
They're mad that the man with the family and 10 full time employees didn't sell all his possessions and mortgage his house to continue distributing his free podcast.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

For someone who wanted to win and teach them a lesson, he failed miserably. If he really wanted to set a precedent, take it all the way to a jury trial, and possibly the Supreme Court. There is no precedent for this type of lawsuit--it's a new deal.

PA is a small fish nippling the fins of a lot of big fish. Its going to get itself eaten eventually, just not now or by Adam Carolla.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

What Fun posted:

They're mad that the man with the family and 10 full time employees didn't sell all his possessions and mortgage his house to continue distributing his free podcast.

Incorrect. If Adam is living just like you and I, does not have emergency funds, and is managing to stay afloat, that's one thing. BUT, I don't get the impression that's his situation.

Additionally, the whole "free podcast" thing doesn't fly with me. It benefits him as much as anyone judging by the crowds that pay to see him, buy his books, buy his advertiser poo poo, amazon affiliates, etc. Its not like he does the show out of the kindness of his heart for the fans--it benefits him much more.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

So instead he should have gone to court and risked losing, instead of settling and getting exactly what he wanted it in the first place. There is no difference in the results of it besides the fact that instead of using the money to go to court and risk losing the case, he instead used the money to meet his demands, and not have the risk involved in court.

You're being unreasonable if you think court was a viable option.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
No outcome of that trial could've made Adam as poor as 99.999% of the people who listen to him on a regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Apoplexy posted:

No outcome of that trial could've made Adam as poor as 99.999% of the people who listen to him on a regular basis.

99.999% is a comic exaggeration. If they did find his personal assets liable (they were suing him, not carolla digital), he could have really been screwed.

I'm pretty sure the reason he settled is that his lawyers leveled with him about the odds of him getting attorneys' fees back. Appellate lawyers are MUCH more expensive than trial lawyers, and East Texas thinks every case brought to trial is best on everyone's' dime.