Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HitTheTargets posted:

What happened? All I know about Arena is that only two or three people died for realsies and that the follow-up series gave Chase a douchy haircut.

It was just a crappy book where nobody acted in character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

He is not talking about his legal knowledge, but being a vigilante will mean he will have broken a lot of the rules for lawyers. Especially considering how much overlap the two tend to have.

Matt Murdock is a terrible, terrible lawyer and really a worse human being.

A huge part of Waid's recent run on Daredevil involves Murdock coming clean on being Daredevil and being disbarred by the State of New York for ethical misconduct (I believe Perjury but I haven't read it since he moved to San Francisco).

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Dr. Hurt posted:

A huge part of Waid's recent run on Daredevil involves Murdock coming clean on being Daredevil and being disbarred by the State of New York for ethical misconduct (I believe Perjury but I haven't read it since he moved to San Francisco).

Yeah because he lied about being daredevil in his counter suit against the Daily Bugle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How pissed off do you think Stephen Glass had to be that Matt Murdock can still practice law in California, and he can't?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Hell's Kitchen has really changed over the past couple of decades. I thank Matt Murdock. You don't see many other heroes get those kind of real-world results.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Does anyone else sometimes have trouble guessing what swear word a writer is going for? Sometimes it just feels like they thought "and then they say a bad word here" without thinking of what they're actually saying.

Or maybe I'm a weirdo and this is a nonsense post,

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Unmature posted:

Does anyone else sometimes have trouble guessing what swear word a writer is going for? Sometimes it just feels like they thought "and then they say a bad word here" without thinking of what they're actually saying.

This happens in Chick tracts a lot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unmature posted:

I always put in gently caress because it always fits.

What's the worst swear that you are allowed to say in a mainstream Big Two book?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

What's the worst swear that you are allowed to say in a mainstream Big Two book?
"Mutie"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Please, call me Alex.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'd love to know how editorial let Kitty Pryde say the n-word twice. I can see a writer thinking he's being clever, but I just don't know how, anytime past the 60s, someone can look at that word and be like "Yeah, that's fit to print".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Imperious Rex. Namor has a dirty mouth.

And not just from making out with the Mariana Dirt Queen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I'd love to know how editorial let Kitty Pryde say the n-word twice. I can see a writer thinking he's being clever, but I just don't know how, anytime past the 60s, someone can look at that word and be like "Yeah, that's fit to print".

I can't tell if you're being serious.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

zoux posted:

I can't tell if you're being serious.

Yes, Kitty has said the n-word in print.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

Twice

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Uthor posted:

Specially to tell black people about prejudice. (not the readers but the characters)

It was bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Claremont?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

zoux posted:

Claremont?

She says it in God Loves, Man Kills, so yes. The other time was I think in Secret Wars 2, so that'd be then editor in chief Jim Shooter's fault.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
He knew that the hook to selling more Kitty Pryde toys was focusing on her tendency to make tin-eared equivalencies about social justice issues. Great instincts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess these are them then?

I mean, I can understand what they are going for but you really can't conflate your fictional hate speech with literally the most hate filled word in the English language.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also don't make it bold probably.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh my god Kitty you just can't ask people why they aren't black.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Is there any issues of Batman/Detective Comics that deal with the legal ramifications of Batman beating up perps? One would think some perp getting beaten up and left on the cops doorsteps would be a one way trip to all charges dropped/mistrial.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Is there any issues of Batman/Detective Comics that deal with the legal ramifications of Batman beating up perps? One would think some perp getting beaten up and left on the cops doorsteps would be a one way trip to all charges dropped/mistrial.

I haven't read it yet (I know), but I imagine Gotham Central addresses that.

There was an issue of Tangled Web of Spider-Man that was essentially that, but with Spider-Man. He drops the bad guys off and the cops are racing like hell to get a confession because the purps lawyer gets there because they know they have absolutely no case without one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

There's an episode of The Tick TV show where they go to court as witnesses to put Destroyo into jail. The Tick's testimony boils down to "but his name is Destroyo!" while all the evidence is ruled inadmissible as they didn't have a warrant to confiscate the poison, nuclear bomb, and several feet or rope.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Madkal posted:

Is there any issues of Batman/Detective Comics that deal with the legal ramifications of Batman beating up perps?

(Wondermark)

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

zoux posted:

I guess these are them then?

I mean, I can understand what they are going for but you really can't conflate your fictional hate speech with literally the most hate filled word in the English language.

The darling of a generation of writers ladies and gents.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Its not the worst thing ever written.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its not the worst thing ever written.

In context, the first one almost works, almost.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

In context, the first one almost works, almost.

Yea it is heavy handed and whatnot, but in context it can sort of work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Yea it is heavy handed and whatnot, but in context it can sort of work.

It helps that she's not actually calling some one that, but using a hypothetical. But as someone else pointed out, it's still comparing a made up term for a fictional group of people to the most hateful and politically/racially charged words in America.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Madkal posted:

I remember Christopher Priest did a story (I think it was called Batman: The Hill) about a gangster who Batman tries his normal act on, and the guy lawyers his way out of it.

The end result was Batman just ups his game, does more evidence collection and other tricks. Then at the end ties him up outside a building, and leaves him in front of GCPD.

The overall point being. Yes, on one level Batman's methods are legally unsound and would fall apart by any defence lawyer. And perhaps overall classiest/ don't fully deal with the root causes of crime.

On the other hand, almost all drug dealers are nasty pieces of work. And sure if Batman leaves them tied up to a lamp post with a note and a load of drugs at their feet, their conviction may not stick.
But they don't get their product back. Turns out, you aren't allowed own legal drugs and even if you don't get charged with it, the Cops will take it off you. And that drug dealer maybe back on the street, but he's always going to look over his shoulder. So in a real way, Batman is an effective method of prevention.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
You say "real" but I don't know if you've thought that through.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

HitTheTargets posted:

You say "real" but I don't know if you've thought that through.

If he were real:
http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/9p16/

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

It helps that she's not actually calling some one that, but using a hypothetical. But as someone else pointed out, it's still comparing a made up term for a fictional group of people to the most hateful and politically/racially charged words in America.

I mean, that's always gonna be a thing with the X-Men though. One of their foremost characters is a walking comparison between fictional mutant hatred and the real life greatest, most hideous moral crime of the 20th century.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean, that's always gonna be a thing with the X-Men though. One of their foremost characters is a walking comparison between fictional mutant hatred and the real life greatest, most hideous moral crime of the 20th century.

What makes this so tin-eared though is that she's a white person yelling at black characters about real-life racism to make a point about a fictional, made-up minority. Like, that's getting the lesson completely backward if you're schooling a real-life minority that gets actual poo poo in order to teach a lesson about the fantasy vehicle designed to teach kids about racism.

I can imagine some shithead suburban kid reading along in his 1986 basement bar on a beanbag chair and getting so pissed at the dumb black character who doesn't understand the noble oppressed soul of the beautiful white characters and their difficult lives.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

What makes this so tin-eared though is that she's a white person yelling at black characters about real-life racism to make a point about a fictional, made-up minority. Like, that's getting the lesson completely backward if you're schooling a real-life minority that gets actual poo poo in order to teach a lesson about the fantasy vehicle designed to teach kids about racism.

I can imagine some shithead suburban kid reading along in his 1986 basement bar on a beanbag chair and getting so pissed at the dumb black character who doesn't understand the noble oppressed soul of the beautiful white characters and their difficult lives.

And again I say: one of the most prominent X-Men is a character who by his very existence compares the fictional suffering of a fictional race to the actual systematic slaughter of six million real people.

It's always gonna be a thing with the X-Men. It's graceless, because Claremont is often graceless, but I don't think there's any hard rules against allegory. As for hypothetical 1980s suburban shithead kids, I can't say they concern me too much.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jack Gladney posted:

It's not like minorities haven't oppressed other minorities before. When you have stuff like TERFs and the strong Black support for Prop8 I think it's a bit more relevant.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

The overall point being. Yes, on one level Batman's methods are legally unsound and would fall apart by any defence lawyer.

Eh, sort of.

quote:

At common law, both police officers and private individuals could arrest someone without a warrant for a felony or breach of the peace committed in their presence (i.e. they had to actually see it happen). However, police arrests and private arrests differed if it turned out no crime had been committed. As long as the police officer was acting reasonably, he or she was protected, but a private individual acted at his or her own risk (e.g. there might be a false arrest claim).
Practically speaking, citizen’s arrest isn’t very practical in the real world because it’s so dangerous to try, criminals aren’t likely to respect a private individual’s attempt to arrest them, and because the police and the courts generally frown on ‘self-help.’ The first two issues aren’t problems for superheroes: they can handle themselves and criminals will respect them one way or the other. But staying on the good side of the police and courts is important for most superheroes. That’s another reason it’s so important for superheroes to get it right when they arrest people: too many screw-ups and the police will be after them instead.

So the "leaving a criminal tied up on the steps of the police department" thing is entirely legal, it's just evidence collection that superheroes would need to be careful with.

(Law and the Multiverse is a great blog for anyone interested in this sort of stuff, by the way.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Idran posted:

Eh, sort of.

So the "leaving a criminal tied up on the steps of the police department" thing is entirely legal, it's just evidence collection that superheroes would need to be careful with.

(Law and the Multiverse is a great blog for anyone interested in this sort of stuff, by the way.)

Hum, so if a random private individual 'arrests' someone who commits a crime in front of them, this can count as a legal arrest as long as they're willing to testify in court about it and presumably some evidence remains of the crime in question? It seems tricky because there's plenty of crimes that don't leave much/any hard evidence, so it'd be the word of two private individuals against each other.

I guess the only case where it really comes into play in reality is arresting people who are actively assaulting someone, or are already wanted (so, bounty hunters). But I thought bounty hunters needed some sort of license.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 4, 2014