Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

PCjr sidecar posted:

I saw a documentary about the stress that counting on bonuses can put on your mental well being and how it can negatively affect your family. I think it was called National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

A one year membership to the Jelly of The Month Club is legit. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I wonder how long it'll be before movies and sitcoms become incomprehensible to average Americans.

:confused:
"Why is he complaining about the Monday to Friday nine-to-five? That's the best shift. Maybe he's taking classes or something."
"Oh, he got a membership in the Jelly of the Month Club! That's so cool, last year I got one movie pass for Christmas but it expired before I got to use it. Janet got fired as a Christmas bonus."

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I wonder how long it'll be before movies and sitcoms become incomprehensible to average Americans.

:confused:
"Why is he complaining about the Monday to Friday nine-to-five? That's the best shift. Maybe he's taking classes or something."
"Oh, he got a membership in the Jelly of the Month Club! That's so cool, last year I got one movie pass for Christmas but it expired before I got to use it. Janet got fired as a Christmas bonus."

This is like how when I was a kid and only saw in Al Bundy his hate for his job, his wife, his kids and his life in general. Now I see a man who can support a family of four and a mortgage as a shoe salesman. As a boy, I was afraid I would end up like him. Now, I wonder if I even have what it takes :smith:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Snipping a couple of RJ45s and making crossover console cables tomorrow. First time I've made a cable in, oh bout 9 years. I sucked at it then, let's see how 9 years off has done me.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Driving home from a 16 hour day to an angry girlfriend, can't win at work or at home. Also have to be back in the office in 8 hours and it takes an hour to commute in the morning. serenity now, insanity later.

Also construction taking a highway down to one lane :(

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MF_James posted:

Driving home from a 16 hour day to an angry girlfriend, can't win at work or at home. Also have to be back in the office in 8 hours and it takes an hour to commute in the morning. serenity now, insanity later.

Also construction taking a highway down to one lane :(

Why are you going in that early after 16 hours of work?

Bonus chat: Don't take it into account. I argued with my boss over this about half a year ago when he wanted to give me my entire raise as a monthly "bonus" instead of base salary. He tried to tell me that they always give out the bonuses and that that never take it away. He just wanted an "incentive" for people to come in rather than stay off if they have a "headache".

I argued that he might as well stick it as base salary if he was going to pay it every month and put a bonus on top as that's how an incentive works. He agreed. First time I took a sick day, he took the bonus away.

Don't believe what they say, get it as base salary or don't count it.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 4, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Snipping a couple of RJ45s and making crossover console cables tomorrow. First time I've made a cable in, oh bout 9 years. I sucked at it then, let's see how 9 years off has done me.

good luck!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Accretionist posted:

This is like how when I was a kid and only saw in Al Bundy his hate for his job, his wife, his kids and his life in general. Now I see a man who can support a family of four and a mortgage as a shoe salesman. As a boy, I was afraid I would end up like him. Now, I wonder if I even have what it takes :smith:

You'd probably be surprised at what a good shoe salesman can make. My brother works part time at a Dillards in the mens shoe department and and brings home $750-$1000 commission checks every 2 weeks, on top of his base salary. He just moved to full time and said he'll bring home another $1000/mnth just for going to full time. Of course my brother is the type of guy who can sell anything but wants an easy do nothing job so, shoes lol.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Being a good salesman is pretty well paid work. I've got a friend who sells carpets, gets a 2% commission.

A company representative went in to see him last week and he sold them an entire 6 floor buildings worth of carpets. He was only chatting to them for three hours, got himself around £1400.

e: Granted, he told me he gets a ridiculous commission percentage and this is the first time he's made so much in one sale, but :drat:

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 4, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Sales blows and I will never again do it.

You know that bonus that was said not to count on? Replace that with commission.

Just give me a flat paycheck that I can depend on, thanks.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Tech question. I've been out of the game for the last few years but one of my coworkers went and got himself spyware'd and it's easier for me to fix it than ship it off to corporate. What are the go-to tools these days? "Back in my day" I used Ad-aware, Spybot, HijackThis, etc.

Feel free to PM me or refer me to a different thread so I don't jack this one up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Called back on that job offer and insisted on $70k base. They balked, I walked. They took the time to give me a lecture on how anyone who comes to work at a startup needs to prove themselves and I'm all like nigga please, do you think I'm fresh out of college? They just secured $25m in funding and work in Class A office space in the middle of Boston.

But I can't pretend I'm hot poo poo when I'm still making what I make here. Back to the job search I suppose. I'm gonna carve out a few hours each day for getting my CCNA, I can nail most questions except those loving subnetting calculations are the bane of my existence, I sucked at them 9 years ago when I was in the military's IT school and I still suck at them.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Yeah start ups like to play the meritocracy card but what that really means is come make this idea work so we can sell it to google and make off into the sunset as billionaires while you get borged.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

dogstile posted:

Being a good salesman is pretty well paid work. I've got a friend who sells carpets, gets a 2% commission.

A company representative went in to see him last week and he sold them an entire 6 floor buildings worth of carpets. He was only chatting to them for three hours, got himself around £1400.

e: Granted, he told me he gets a ridiculous commission percentage and this is the first time he's made so much in one sale, but :drat:

What's cost of living like in the UK? Like, single adult, bare minimum, in the US is like $14k to $25k depending on whether you're in Walla Walla, Washington or Washington D.C.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 4, 2014

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I used to live in London and then Oxford after graduating University and then moved to Boston 2 years ago. When I did some comparison of my costs in the UK and then in the US it wasn't too far apart. In the UK you will pay more tax but that also includes what you would be paying the US for Health Insurance.

Things Cheaper in the UK:

Car/Home insurance
Food
Phone
Internet
Cable/Satellite TV

Things Cheaper in the US:

Petrol/Gas
Utilities
Housing (Boston is very expensive but in general the US is cheaper)

Over all I would have around $300 less disposable income every month if I was still in the UK but then since I have lost 2 $200 tyres to pot holes in New England in the past 18 months it sort of evens out :v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dark Helmut posted:

Tech question. I've been out of the game for the last few years but one of my coworkers went and got himself spyware'd and it's easier for me to fix it than ship it off to corporate. What are the go-to tools these days? "Back in my day" I used Ad-aware, Spybot, HijackThis, etc.

Feel free to PM me or refer me to a different thread so I don't jack this one up.

Malwarebytes (even though they changed the UI to look like the poo poo you're trying to get rid of), ComboFix, and then there are a bevy of specialized utilities that will kill/fix specific infections.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Zero VGS posted:

Called back on that job offer and insisted on $70k base. They balked, I walked. They took the time to give me a lecture on how anyone who comes to work at a startup needs to prove themselves and I'm all like nigga please, do you think I'm fresh out of college? They just secured $25m in funding and work in Class A office space in the middle of Boston.

Did you call them out on their bullshit? I've had some interesting conversations and with the hiring managers it usually goes along the lines of "I understand you want a significant compensation but the economy these days..."

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Man, salarychat makes me glad I got out of my old job. Still not making a ton, but at least I won't have to empty the bank account to see a doctor. I think I might have been underpaid a bit.

e: it wasn't them trying to dick me over or anything, it was literally "we can't afford/aren't allowed to pay you anything more"

Pedestrian Xing fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 4, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Accretionist posted:

What's cost of living like in the UK? Like, single adult, bare minimum, in the US is like $14k to $25k depending on whether you're in Walla Walla, Washington or Washington D.C.

Absolute bare minimum for me, if I assume I eat £80 of food a week and pay £700 on a single flat, that comes to £9360 or so. Then add bills (travel, emergency stuff) and you're probably looking at wanting to earn around £14000 - £16000 to be comfortable. That's renting though, I want a house. Or I at least want to own my own home.

But I don't actually live by myself, never have. Take my numbers (and maths, red text and all) with a pinch of salt.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Sales blows and I will never again do it.

You know that bonus that was said not to count on? Replace that with commission.

Just give me a flat paycheck that I can depend on, thanks.

Eh, he's just putting it down towards a deposit for a flat. Like a bonus, if you treat it as an unexpected windfall rather than what you plan on living on month to month its not that much of an issue. I get a little bit as a bonus each month and I just have an extra couple of drinks at the pub or treat myself to a nice meal.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 4, 2014

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Inspector_666 posted:

Malwarebytes (even though they changed the UI to look like the poo poo you're trying to get rid of), ComboFix, and then there are a bevy of specialized utilities that will kill/fix specific infections.

Combofix, that's the one I couldn't remember. The one I was scared to use on people's PCs at first til I realized it was the poo poo... Thanks!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Zero VGS posted:

But I can't pretend I'm hot poo poo when I'm still making what I make here. Back to the job search I suppose. I'm gonna carve out a few hours each day for getting my CCNA, I can nail most questions except those loving subnetting calculations are the bane of my existence, I sucked at them 9 years ago when I was in the military's IT school and I still suck at them.
Like a startup with a $25m funding round is small enough to even have decent equity to give away to new hires. What do they have, 80-100 employees?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

Did you call them out on their bullshit? I've had some interesting conversations and with the hiring managers it usually goes along the lines of "I understand you want a significant compensation but the economy these days..."

I think I'll save that for my current job. I'm going to re-insist on the raise they met me halfway at, my boss is on board with it too. Watching them try and fail to hire anyone else at my wage is proof enough.

Still going to look for another job but no reason I can't make more here in the meantime.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

Dark Helmut posted:

Combofix, that's the one I couldn't remember. The one I was scared to use on people's PCs at first til I realized it was the poo poo... Thanks!

Some dudes on Reddit have been putting together a little utility, I haven't tried it yet myself though: http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/2eecl7/tron_v300_20140823_auto_update_check_metro_debloat/

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Dark Helmut posted:

Send it to corporate.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

What does ComboFix do? I am a bad (and/or dumb?) person for not knowing, but one of the sysadmins here was saying he knows a guy that all he did was run ComboFix and that is apparently a bad idea because it...does things? I didn't want to sound dumb at work by asking why so I'll just sound dumb on the internet instead.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Another good one is ADW Cleaner: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Between MBAM, that, and ComboFix I'm usually able to clear out any infections.

Zero VGS posted:

Called back on that job offer and insisted on $70k base. They balked, I walked.
Hell yeah! Good job.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

dogstile posted:

£80 of food a week

Do you have red bull and caviar in an IV hooked up to you, or something?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Zero VGS posted:

I'm going to re-insist

oh god I read that as "re-enlist" and got a ptsd attack. I was all "brother no resist the darkside!"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Do you have red bull and caviar in an IV hooked up to you, or something?

Food is a lot more expensive in some places in the world outside America!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

dogstile posted:

Why are you going in that early after 16 hours of work?

Bonus chat: Don't take it into account. I argued with my boss over this about half a year ago when he wanted to give me my entire raise as a monthly "bonus" instead of base salary. He tried to tell me that they always give out the bonuses and that that never take it away. He just wanted an "incentive" for people to come in rather than stay off if they have a "headache".

I argued that he might as well stick it as base salary if he was going to pay it every month and put a bonus on top as that's how an incentive works. He agreed. First time I took a sick day, he took the bonus away.

Don't believe what they say, get it as base salary or don't count it.

I'm working 2 jobs in the same office, had to pick up extra hours because I need more money. Normally I'm not there till midnight, I normally get out at 9ish

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Did £80 per week suddenly become a lot? Because that seems like a shockingly low amount to spend on food.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Did £80 per week suddenly become a lot? Because that seems like a shockingly low amount to spend on food.

I don't know, I wasn't counting my funds, I literally googled "cost of food per week in x" and copied the cost across. It doesn't seem that unreasonable. I could probably cut it down lower if I was really strapped for cash but then again eating a can of beans a day isn't that appealing.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

$131. a week on food is shockingly low?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TWBalls posted:

$131. a week on food is shockingly low?

In some places in the world, yes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I spend less than $50/week and I don't just eat ramen and hot pockets. That's groceries and not going out.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Jesus. I do $50 CAD on groceries every few days, and that's mostly vegetables / grains. And that doesn't cover what I spend on lunches.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I probably spend $100-120 CAD/week here, including work lunches which is a cheap cafeteria, but I try and buy fresh ingredients rather than packaged poo poo.

It's funny when Americans get shocked at how expensive food can be elsewhere :)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
We have two large locations that have their own I.T. staff. One has its own I.T. Manager and two guys, the other place has a phone guy and an I.T. support person. They report to their site VPs. Over the years my various bosses have tried to strong-arm me into providing "oversight" of these two teams without giving me the Director title and more pay. Each time I bring up getting the appropriate title they hem and haw and talk about my basically doing what they want first and then maybe they'll make the change, as if I haven't already proven I know how to do this drat job well.

Today the VP overseeing those two sites tells me that there have been numerous prolonged network outages, bad enough that people have been getting sent home early. I haven't heard any of this, and pointed out that since none of these people report to me it makes sense that I wouldn't have been notified. He's trying to work me back into that gray area where I somehow need to know about this and provide feedback or take action to resolve things.

After over three years of pushback from my many bosses on giving me the appropriate title and compensation for this additional responsibility I'm not giving in now. Perhaps this is the situation that will make it clear to them that if they want my skills applied they need to do the right thing. Or maybe they'll just can me. I think they just spin a wheel of fortune to make these decisions.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I probably spend $100-120 CAD/week here, including work lunches which is a cheap cafeteria, but I try and buy fresh ingredients rather than packaged poo poo.

It's funny when Americans get shocked at how expensive food can be elsewhere :)

And it's dumb when non-Americans generalize about Americans based on anecdotes. I'm American and I spend more than you on food. Enjoy that extra anecdote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

CLAM DOWN posted:

In some places in the world, yes.

Right, but we're talking about the cost in the U.K.

I'm going by another poster that said:

BigPaddy posted:

I used to live in London and then Oxford after graduating University and then moved to Boston 2 years ago. When I did some comparison of my costs in the UK and then in the US it wasn't too far apart. In the UK you will pay more tax but that also includes what you would be paying the US for Health Insurance.

Things Cheaper in the UK:

Car/Home insurance
Food
Phone
Internet
Cable/Satellite TV

Things Cheaper in the US:

Petrol/Gas
Utilities
Housing (Boston is very expensive but in general the US is cheaper)

So, if food is cheaper in the U.K. than the U.S. then yes, I'm quite surprised that he's spending that much per week on food when quite a few of us in the U.S. are able to get by on less. I'm in the California Bay Area, which has a pretty high cost of living and pay less than that.

Anyway, to get this back on track:
I don't think this new director is going to last very long. He's only been here maybe 2 months and he's already on his second vacation. We've been hearing complaints that he's not very communicative and he's already told my co-worker that he's already getting burned out. I've only been here about 4, soon to be 5 years and we've been through 4 directors (5 if you count my co-worker being the interim). This is ridiculous.