Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

a worthy uhh posted:

I bought an MFSL copy off a guy in SA Mart for like $30.. Discogs has it for $222+ .. Whoa. No idea this was so expensive.

I bought mine from Sound Stage Direct about a year ago for 30 as well. That's the second time I bought a Beck LP for regular retail price that became valuable shortly there after (the other was Modern Guilt).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Holy poo poo, I better grab Morning Phase sooner rather than later, then.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Morning Phase is amaaaaaaaaaaazing. Even digitally, I just want to soak in its tone. I should probably snag the vinyl as well.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

iluvpr0n posted:

I finally had to remove Beck's Sea Change from my wantlist, because I got depressed seeing new listings (or the same ones repeated over and over again) for $300 everyday. :chillpill:

No one should be without the albums that are important to them!

1000 umbrellas fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 10, 2014

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
This guy is in the process of listing some cheap records, e.g., a couple King Crimson records ("In the Court of..." and "In the Wake of Poseidon) for $6 each w/ free shipping. Not bad!

Malaria Playboy
Aug 28, 2014

Inform

izationalizer posted:

This guy is in the process of listing some cheap records, e.g., a couple King Crimson records ("In the Court of..." and "In the Wake of Poseidon) for $6 each w/ free shipping. Not bad!

Oddly enough, first presses of ITCOTCK don't go for much. The only pressings that are worth a huge amount of money are the early misprints, which aren't even really misprints. They've just got some formatting issues on the center label.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

izationalizer posted:

Totally bought the Japanese pressing of Devo's Duty Now for the Future from this guy for $15. Goddamn what a steal, and with free shipping too!

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Malaria Playboy posted:

Oddly enough, first presses of ITCOTCK don't go for much. The only pressings that are worth a huge amount of money are the early misprints, which aren't even really misprints. They've just got some formatting issues on the center label.

Because collectors are shooting for the country of origin, so US 1st isn't worth much (same thing w/ Charisma, Vertigo, etc). Clean UK pink island courts are absolutely worth a lot: https://gripsweat.com/search/?query=court%20crimson%20pink%20island&page=1&sort_by=price

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting
Todays Haul

Agent Orange - Living in Darkness
Bill Evans - Montreux 2
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Paul Desmond - From the Hot Afternoon
Brian Eno - Discreet Music
DRI - Four of a Kind
Chick Corea - Three Quartets

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

JehovahsWetness posted:

Because collectors are shooting for the country of origin, so US 1st isn't worth much (same thing w/ Charisma, Vertigo, etc). Clean UK pink island courts are absolutely worth a lot: https://gripsweat.com/search/?query=court%20crimson%20pink%20island&page=1&sort_by=price

And the first first Island pressing with the A1 B1 matrices have sold for close to $4000

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Is there any particular reason people seem to be selling off all their Frank Zappa albums recently? In the past month I've seen a crazy amount of used copies across several local stores, as well as

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

CrapFish posted:

Todays Haul

Agent Orange - Living in Darkness
Bill Evans - Montreux 2
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Paul Desmond - From the Hot Afternoon
Brian Eno - Discreet Music
DRI - Four of a Kind
Chick Corea - Three Quartets

I always look through Eno records hoping to find Discreet Music, but I never have. Congrats to you on that; it's my favorite ambient work of his by far.

Wronkos fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 8, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I grabbed some cool stuff yesterday. I got a sealed first US pressing of the Smiths (s/t), a white label promo copy of the Flash Gordon soundtrack by Queen, a white label promo Buzzcocks EP, a sealed first pressing of Lou Reed's New Sensations, and the Mr. T's Commandments single.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
That's cool. While I'm waiting for the Beatles in mono, I scored a few cool things. I got a mono copy of "Time Won't Let Me" by the Outsiders which is a pretty good album for a 60s one-hit wonder. Then I got Los Lobos "By the Light of the Moon" since my store's Los Lobos section consisted entirely of that album. They had like 6 or 7 copies of that album, which is surprising. It's a great album, but still, I didn't think it would be so readily available like that.

Finally, I got my hands on Mustard by Roy Wood. Dude is a really cool eccentric musician who was the founder of ELO, and basically plays everything on the album. It's very weird, and I've never heard a great sounding version of the album. If you can get it, check it out. After all, what can prepare you for this cover?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtnXXM-PHMY

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Picked up Beck's Morning Phase for about $25 and that seems like a good investment if the trend of Beck albums going for stupid amounts of cash continues (it's also an amazing album and goes great alongside Sea Change... which I don't have on vinyl and probably never will :smith:).

Is there any real reason why LP's like Sea Change or Modern Guilt are so pricey? I figured that Western Harvest Field By Moonlight would be his most valuable record, but I can pick either the original or repressing of that for under $50 on discogs.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ballz posted:

Is there any real reason why LP's like Sea Change or Modern Guilt are so pricey? I figured that Western Harvest Field By Moonlight would be his most valuable record, but I can pick either the original or repressing of that for under $50 on discogs.
Just a hunch, but is say it's because those albums are popular and there aren't that many of them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Pretty much all of Beck's albums go for high prices if they're out of print. Mellow Gold and Midnight Vultures go for about 100 dollars, Mutations is 40-50, and Odelay is about 50 and up. I'm aware that Odelay was reissued but that version differs from the original release, there are claims about some tracks being from inferior sourcing, and if I recall correctly there was some remixing too. So the original pressings are still highly sought after.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Asian Man put up cool reissues of Maybe I'll Catch Fire and Goddamnit in a bundle for 20 bucks total.

Limited to 100 and of course sold out when the post showed up in my facebook feed 30 minutes after it was posted. Those two records are probably in my top ten from the late 90's. Disappoint. :(

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Pretty much all of Beck's albums go for high prices if they're out of print. Mellow Gold and Midnight Vultures go for about 100 dollars, Mutations is 40-50, and Odelay is about 50 and up. I'm aware that Odelay was reissued but that version differs from the original release, there are claims about some tracks being from inferior sourcing, and if I recall correctly there was some remixing too. So the original pressings are still highly sought after.

Yeah the rerelease of "Odelay" had quite a few changes to the tracks, which is covered here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odelay#Deluxe_Edition - and none of the changes seem either necessary or to make things any better. It's nice to hear my Bong Load version of it means I am a special flower.

I did my first bit of record store shopping in some time yesterday and came away with "Sister" by Sonic Youth (the Blast First release with the uncensored cover), "Thirteen" by Teenage Fanclub and "The Lemon of Pink" by The Books (as well as a few other things) which was nice, all of which were on my want list. "Sister" I am especially happy with, I love that album.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I guess I'm mostly surprised how limited they apparently are, even the reprints and newer releases.

Having said that, even on my crappy turntable setup, Morning Phase sounds divine. :circlefap:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Defleshed posted:

Asian Man put up cool reissues of Maybe I'll Catch Fire and Goddamnit in a bundle for 20 bucks total.

Limited to 100 and of course sold out when the post showed up in my facebook feed 30 minutes after it was posted. Those two records are probably in my top ten from the late 90's. Disappoint. :(
Knowing Asian Man another reprint won't be far out, maybe a 250/500 press

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ballz posted:

I guess I'm mostly surprised how limited they apparently are, even the reprints and newer releases.

Having said that, even on my crappy turntable setup, Morning Phase sounds divine. :circlefap:

Sea change and modern guilt came out in that window when records were really not being pressed.There's a million (not actually a million, but many many thousands) Morning Phases out there in comparison.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

BigFactory posted:

Sea change and modern guilt came out in that window when records were really not being pressed.There's a million (not actually a million, but many many thousands) Morning Phases out there in comparison.

Wasn't there also some deal when he signed to Geffen that Bong Load put out the vinyl versions of his albums for a time? So "Mellow Gold", "Odelay" and "Mutations" (and maybe more) were on CD and tape from Geffen, vinyl from Bong Load, and so the vinyl releases had smaller distributions because they were put out by a far smaller label? Or am I confusing manufacturing and distribution and that doesn't mean anything really?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

shmee posted:

Wasn't there also some deal when he signed to Geffen that Bong Load put out the vinyl versions of his albums for a time? So "Mellow Gold", "Odelay" and "Mutations" (and maybe more) were on CD and tape from Geffen, vinyl from Bong Load, and so the vinyl releases had smaller distributions because they were put out by a far smaller label? Or am I confusing manufacturing and distribution and that doesn't mean anything really?

Big labels weren't pressing a lot of vinyl lp's in the 2000's either. They were a novelty.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

BigFactory posted:

Big labels weren't pressing a lot of vinyl lp's in the 2000's either. They were a novelty.

True. At least the Bong Load Beck albums are good quality. Nice heavy vinyl, probably 180g but not sure. Some of the other stuff I have from around the same time is pretty crappy quality,. As you say, many releases were a novelty, or an afterthought to keep the get off-my-lawn generation happy.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

shmee posted:

True. At least the Bong Load Beck albums are good quality. Nice heavy vinyl, probably 180g but not sure. Some of the other stuff I have from around the same time is pretty crappy quality,. As you say, many releases were a novelty, or an afterthought to keep the get off-my-lawn generation happy.

You think elderly people were buying Beck records in the 90's?

Handshake Drugs
Oct 21, 2010

shmee posted:

Yeah the rerelease of "Odelay" had quite a few changes to the tracks, which is covered here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odelay#Deluxe_Edition - and none of the changes seem either necessary or to make things any better. It's nice to hear my Bong Load version of it means I am a special flower.

The 4xLP deluxe edition is up there in price now too. I bought mine new for $60 three years after it first came out. Now I see that they're going for at least twice that, usually around $150.

PJ Harvey is another artist I wish they would start reissuing their older albums. Especially in the US. All I want is a copy of Uh Huh Her or Is This Desire for less than $100, or at least less than $50 for most of her other albums.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I got my copy of Beyond the Black Rainbow, and it has an irritating amount of surface noise. I'm pretty disappointed after being so excited about this release.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I got my copy of Beyond the Black Rainbow, and it has an irritating amount of surface noise. I'm pretty disappointed after being so excited about this release.

Which pressing was it?

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

1000 umbrellas posted:

Bottom line: I don't need two copies of the same record. $30 and it's yours shipped, if you want it. Better than putting a price on it, I'd trade you for a surprise record which value you judge in your heart to be equal once you see this copy (it's pretty NM on all other accounts, but I'm neurotic and every imperfection bothers me). I'll send it to you and you can send me a record back in the same mailer.

No one should be without the albums that are important to them!

I'll take you up on this offer. Have to look through my collection tonight and see what I'm willing to part with. If I have nothing worth trading I can just paypal you.

Defleshed can vouch for my record trading rep. :)

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Duckula posted:

Which pressing was it?

It's the clear version, bought through SC Distribution.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

DammitJanet posted:

I'll take you up on this offer. Have to look through my collection tonight and see what I'm willing to part with. If I have nothing worth trading I can just paypal you.

Defleshed can vouch for my record trading rep. :)

Sorry, the deal went down last week. Edited my post so as not to confuse anyone else.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

BigFactory posted:

A record store by me has POD's Satellite for $35 and I want it for that very reason even though I know it's a terrible idea.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Schremp Howard posted:

A record store by me has POD's Satellite for $35

hahahahahahahahaha sick

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

BigFactory posted:

You think elderly people were buying Beck records in the 90's?

I wasn't referring to Beck specifically no, but for example there are some Neil Young albums I want from that time which are now pretty pricey or hard to find, and I know at least my Dad wanted vinyl at the time over CD.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The new Beatles box set is really good. The records are really good quality. Quiet and sound great all around.

So yeah, if you want mono Beatles, this set is a great way to go. The book isn't that great though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Smaller labels are pretty good about this kind of poo poo. Just ask them if you can exchange it. I also got the US pressing and my copy sounds great.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

CPL593H posted:

Smaller labels are pretty good about this kind of poo poo. Just ask them if you can exchange it. I also got the US pressing and my copy sounds great.

Hmm, good to know. I'll hit them up. It would be a shame to have waited so long for that thing and be stuck with a copy that has noise all over the amazing music.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Do colored/clear records have lower sound quality than traditional records?

Wronkos fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wronkos posted:

Colored/clear vinyl typically have lower sound quality than traditional records, right? Why is that?

They're sold to people who don't know any different.

Edit: before a dozen people jump on me, color doesn't have anything intrinsically to do with sound quality.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 11, 2014