Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I binged up to the latest episode last night after never hearing about this show, I don't have cable, and I rather enjoyed. I don't take it seriously but its good with some popcorn and the wife will enjoy watching it as it has that horror vibe.
it realistic? God no
Do the characters do stupid poo poo? Yes! And for the love of god start listening to the old man with the cane sword....he is clearly the only person who has any idea wtf he is doing.

I liked that it has broken some troupes that I was expecting, samwise not hiding it the chick running out of the store and living, but it does need help in keeping things moving along. The pacing jumps around a little but I'll watch the show until its over

edit: Oh WTF was up with the special forces vampire unit? That REALLY threw me off. Is that vampire the Gothic rocker? I assume not but its just....where did that come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tiny Chalupa posted:

edit: Oh WTF was up with the special forces vampire unit? That REALLY threw me off. Is that vampire the Gothic rocker? I assume not but its just....where did that come from?

The SwatVamps are a special forces unit normally chillin' in their Vampire Vatican and were sent here to fight the master who snuck over and is trying to take over NYC.

Type-O Negativedick is just a normal sewer dweller.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 3, 2014

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I probably don't hate this show that much because I watched True Blood so I know how incredibly loving godawful a vampire show can be and this doesn't approach that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

InfiniteZero posted:

Speaking as a well-known fan of horror, if you get easily hung up on questionable character motivation, question why characters sometimes "do dumb things" and obsess over issues of "tactical realism", you should probably stop watching horror stuff and become a civil war reenactor or something.

Yeah we're starting to get into Walking Dead style "well I would choose such and such gun because blah blah blah my hanzo steel why is everyone acting stupid this is what I would do..." territory. Let's back the bread truck up before this thread gets that bad.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

IRQ posted:

Yeah we're starting to get into Walking Dead style "well I would choose such and such gun because blah blah blah my hanzo steel why is everyone acting stupid this is what I would do..." territory. Let's back the bread truck up before this thread gets that bad.

It's inevitable. The spergs can smell zombie-related fiction and in the night they come.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I probably don't hate this show that much because I watched True Blood so I know how incredibly loving godawful a vampire show can be and this doesn't approach that.

Yes this is far better than a vampire romantic comedy soap opera, I agree.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

Type-O Negativedick is just a normal sewer dweller.

RIP Peter Steele

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Drifter posted:

Type-O Negativedick

http://youtu.be/lbwwB1Tbbxo

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Paradoxish posted:

It's also just a stupid argument to begin with, because shows can be dumb entertainment and not actually be bad. Spartacus was big and dumb and loud, but it was also generally well written, well acted, and incredibly well paced. There are tons of stupid popcorn flicks that are actually, you know, good, and at the very least not boring. You can't have a show that's supposed to be campy fun consist of like 80% serious drama scenes that are horrendously written and acted.
Spartacus took a few episodes to get good as well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cardboard Box A posted:

Spartacus took a few episodes to get good as well.

I hear the next season of Agents of Shield might be alright.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

I enjoyed the show from the get-go, but probably for reasons other than "it was good." I'm just sort of a Marvel nerd and I looked for inside jokes between Captain America and Thor movies and the show.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Edit: clearly didn't read far enough in the thread first!

Vasiliy is the best, hands down. This episode ruled.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 4, 2014

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

I know I'm late to the show, but can someone please make a gif where Vasiliy picks the Premium gas. That was absolutely hilarious. Hands down the best character.

Look on this page or the page before. Someone posted it once or twice.

edit:

Senjuro posted:

Requesting a gif of the bit where Vasiliy looks at the gas options and chooses premium. Never mind, found it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Young Setrakian probably could have done it. Seems like a lot of the mistakes he makes are because he forgets how old he is now. Can't keep up with the whippersnappers.

Yes, anyone can just run around the greater NY area and kill 200 people in... Three days? Also, he's afraid of facing down the Master, which is why he goes straight to the airport (where he knows the Master is) to tell people that if they keep the coffin, they can defeat him.

Give up, the show is badly written.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yes, anyone can just run around the greater NY area and kill 200 people in... Three days? Also, he's afraid of facing down the Master, which is why he goes straight to the airport (where he knows the Master is) to tell people that if they keep the coffin, they can defeat him.

Controlling the coffin is a simple, relatively easy way to have leverage over the Master without actually having to fight him and kill him. (Book spoilers)Young Setrakian has already seen what happens when you go mano a mano with the Master, going after the coffin is one of his ideas for loving him over without actually trying to fight him.

Again this is just a general bit of vampire lore that is useful to know when watching the show, the books are full of this stuff. When you want to kill a vampire you go after their coffin, they need it to live because its the only place they can rest.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Yes, anyone can just run around the greater NY area and kill 200 people in... Three days?

Significantly less. From what we see in the show (Vassily's coworkers for example), the incubation period for everyone except the airplane "survivors" looks to be something like 8-12 hours.

Assuming each victim infects an average of 2 others every 12 hours, it would look like:

Infection 12 hours 24 hours 36 hours 48 hours 60 hours 72 hours
200 -> 600 -> 1800 -> 5400 -> 16200 -> 48600 -> 145800

That's an absurd rate of spread from an epidemiological standpoint, but it's probably not far off from what the writers have in mind since the trailers were saying that NYC is overrun in a week IIRC. So unless Setrakian moves like a murderous Jewish Santa, taking out the infected one at a time was never a good plan.

It also makes stuff like Stoneheart wanting to destroy the pilot's body and needing to take down the internet a little odd since there's no way an outbreak that fast would go unnoticed even with those measures (or be realistically stoppable, even with a fully engaged CDC).

As someone who was bitching a lot about this a few pages back, this episode was hands down the best yet and I'm glad I stuck it out. I also appreciate that they skipped the "hidden bite" trope even if they did include the people that have never touched a firearm scoring headshots at 20 yards one.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 4, 2014

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nobody is defending the writing you weirdo stop caring about tv so much

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Drifter posted:

Agents of Shield took longer to "get good" but it did as well.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Avasculous posted:

Significantly less. From what we see in the show (Vassily's coworkers for example), the incubation period for everyone except the airplane "survivors" looks to be something like 8-12 hours.

Assuming each victim infects an average of 2 others every 12 hours, it would look like:

Infection 12 hours 24 hours 36 hours 48 hours 60 hours 72 hours
200 -> 600 -> 1800 -> 5400 -> 16200 -> 48600 -> 145800

That's an absurd rate of spread from an epidemiological standpoint, but it's probably not far off from what the writers have in mind since the trailers were saying that NYC is overrun in a week IIRC. So unless Setrakian moves like a murderous Jewish Santa, taking out the infected one at a time was never a good plan.

It also makes stuff like Stoneheart wanting to destroy the pilot's body and needing to take down the internet a little odd since there's no way an outbreak that fast would go unnoticed even with those measures (or be realistically stoppable, even with a fully engaged CDC).

As someone who was bitching a lot about this a few pages back, this episode was hands down the best yet and I'm glad I stuck it out. I also appreciate that they skipped the "hidden bite" trope even if they did include the people that have never touched a firearm scoring headshots at 20 yards one.

To be fair Setrakian was wanting to try and recruit more people to help him at each house he visited. Not the best plan granted but I think his idea was he could exponentially grow his force and take out the infected while they were still weak.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BlindSite posted:

To be fair Setrakian was wanting to try and recruit more people to help him at each house he visited. Not the best plan granted but I think his idea was he could exponentially grow his force and take out the infected while they were still weak.

"I know I just met you but you need to follow me and kill whomever I tell you to."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Drifter posted:

"I know I just met you but you need to follow me and kill whomever I tell you to."

The success rate for people just saved from being eaten by their loved one is probably 1/2 at worst. With the CDC docs, people already aware of the problem, Eph was fully ready to join up and kill them, and all it took for the female doc was seeing another vampire savaging some random people.

After the initial "oh my god whats happening" and reality sets in, the wise old man promising revenge on whoever did this to your wife/daughter/son/husband probably seems like the sanest person in crazytown.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm willing to bet that the majority of people in the world and in this thread would respond with panicked retreat, crippling terror, or psychotic breaks if an old dude busted into their homes and beheaded their loved one after they turned into a monster and tried to eat you.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

STAC Goat posted:

I'm willing to bet that the majority of people in the world and in this thread would respond with panicked retreat, crippling terror, or psychotic breaks if an old dude busted into their homes and beheaded their loved one after they turned into a monster and tried to eat you.

Or, "Call yourself a vampire with *those* loving bunny teeth? I've seen better looking ninjas at Comic-Con."

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Drifter posted:

Gas pumps run on generators apart from the main power grid just in case of emergencies and giant hurricanes.

Of all things this is actually true... in New York at least... after Sandy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just realized Eph is bald irl. I wonder why they bothered to stick a wig on him for the show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Del Toro said he won't have it for the whole show.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Just realized Eph is bald irl. I wonder why they bothered to stick a wig on him for the show.

Can't be having him look too much like a white supremacist CDC doc, can we? That just wouldn't fly.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I've noticed that the VampZombies tend to start losing their hair...maybe we can be rid of Eph soon if you catch my drift

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bald people are white supremacists.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

NESguerilla posted:

I think it was done for a reason. I read somewhere that they plan to have his character go through a physical transformation by the end of the season. Not sure if that is a spoiler but it might be.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Great lines by Vasily and his accent makes it more amusing IMO.

Vasily: I need a credit card!
Nora: You don't have a credit card?
Vasily: I'm currently in dispute over my credit limit.
Eph: Why doesn't that surprise me?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mu Zeta posted:

Does that basically spoiler that he will become a zombie vamp?

Stabitha posted:

I think it was done for a reason. I read somewhere that they plan to have his character go through a physical transformation by the end of the season. Not sure if that is a spoiler but it might be.
ah, I guess the consensus is: maybe

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

ah, I guess the consensus is: maybe

Well, either that, or someone rips his scalp off.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
It's probably because at one point they end up in actual vampire-run concentration camps and need to blend in with the other baldies

Or they actually just turn him into a vampire who knows at this point

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Whispering Machines posted:

It's probably because at one point they end up in actual vampire-run concentration camps and need to blend in with the other baldies

Or they actually just turn him into a vampire who knows at this point

This post makes me hopeful for this show continuing into awesomely dumb bullshit.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
You have no idea.

If we're lucky, we'll get:

-Horribly creepy spider-like black eyed children vampires (defective sunglasses for the eclipse blinded like 100 kids so Stoneheart opens the Stoneheart Foundation For Children Who Can't See Good and has the Master turn them into little crawly eyes/ears for the Master. I'm actually excited for that because they were really creepy in the books.
-A 60 year old former luchador who fights vampires
-Gus and Mr. Quinlan kinda being the weirdest BFFs
-References to Sodom and Gomorrah and the creation of vampires as a result of a fallen angel
-More pooping, so much pooping
-Eph being a whiny rear end in a top hat because Nora doesn't want to date him anymore
-Fet working with Russians to obtain a nuke (which doesn't have a detonator)
-Beam of light/angels detonate the bomb (The Stand, anyone?)

I'm wondering where they're gonna go with hacker chick, though. She's a new addition (there was still the hacking/takedown of networks in the books, but it's hardly brought up in more than passing), so I'm wondering if she'll just be part of their misfit group of vampire hunters and sometimes come in handy (presumably while she hacks the planet from her iphone or something equally silly) or just die in the next few episodes.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Bald people are white supremacists.

Is that you, Sy Sperling?

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Or maybe they have a cool montage scene where he gets all "ready for war" against Vampires and shaves his head and puts on war paint.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stabitha posted:

Or maybe they have a cool montage scene where he gets all "ready for war" against Vampires and shaves his head and puts on war paint.

If this happens I hope they have a bit of fun with it and there's a scene where he just pulls the wig off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

If this happens I hope they have a bit of fun with it and there's a scene where he just pulls the wig off.

Eph is standing in front of the bathroom mirror after taking a shower. He wipes off the steam from the mirror and picks up a razor from the sink. He stands for a beat as we see him studying his reflection.

One deep sigh and he reaches up with the hand holding the razor and slowly pulls what is now revealed to be a wig from his head. He drops the wig onto the floor and proceeds to shave his chest while this plays, low and distorted, from a background television set.

Fade to black while the song crescendos up to full volume and cut back in to a now hairless, shirtless Eph setting crowds of newly made vampires aflame with a flamethrower. Setrakian is throwing water balloons filled with silver nitrate + water solution and Vasiliy Fet is combat windmilling - whirling around in the background bashing in vampires' heads with a crowbar and shooting at others' heads with a shotgun in his off hand.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 5, 2014

• Locked thread