Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Touching music and forced hug between Garbage Person #1 and Garbage Person #2, the hotel is saved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I'm just waiting for them to enter the credit card numbers as plain text into that computer.

EDIT: And... bring in the stupid paranormal "expert." Good job.

FrumpleOrz fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 2, 2014

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Where can I sign up to become a paranormal expert? Seems like a good racket.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Hahah... some laser light show and "the camera is acting funny" and BAM! Haunted.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
First we had the stoner hotel, next week, we'll have the drunken bro hotel.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

surf rock posted:

Where's Joe, anyway?

Hope he never comes back.

Joe opened a new restaurant in Vegas about 2 months ago with Mario Batali, might have been busy with opening week for that. He also was co-host of a 8 episode restaurant reality funding show that aired on CNBC in July, so might have had to run off to do that too.

It is funny that the show is absolutely no different without him. Without Gordon there really wouldn't be a show. I guess you kinda need Graham to say nice things to someone after Ramsay eviscerates them.

I am disappointed there was no double elimination this season, nor any mention of a return-king-of-the-hill side web series, they have become pretty popular on Top Chef.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I liked Jaimee, she was never pretentious. I guess her speech thing is actually a diagnosed condition?

SecretCervix
Jun 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
In Masterchef, when Jaimee and Leslie had to pick their teams, they handed out colored aprons but in the next scene the the contestants are wearing the chef outfits (complete with Volksturmkommando Team Kaptain armbands). What was the point of showing them handing out the aprons then?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

DurosKlav posted:

Well I'm shocked. I guess Jamiees was just so obviously bad they couldnt even pretend to let her through. I am impressed by them for once.

I never thought the best one at baking would end up making GBS threads the bed so hard on a baking challenge. :(

Courtney also fell apart on the gnocchi, which she boasted as "her" dish. You know your team is rough when she of all people admits she has no business being leader. Felt bad for Christian getting embarrassed that they were losing to Cutter and Leslie.

On the other hand, Cutter's on point as far as Leslie's issues with authority. It's not that I think he's egotistical necessarily, but he totally fails at working as a team, leader or not. Of course, you don't really have to to win this competition, and he's a good enough chef individually to have made it this far.

To Jaimee's credit, she did what she thought she had to do to get the team rolling, but it definitely lost her points for giving it up so easily (not that Courtney didn't do the same.) Failing a challenge that you should excel at is pretty standard Masterchef protocol. At least she got what I think is the first sort of job offer this season.

Side note - I like Graham a lot, but you could conceivably do the show without him either. Gordon's a big enough personality that he could host solo. I'm glad he doesn't, but y'know.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Did Cutter say that Leslie was a beautician? Lmao that's great, Leslie is the best.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

OmegaBR posted:

Side note - I like Graham a lot, but you could conceivably do the show without him either. Gordon's a big enough personality that he could host solo. I'm glad he doesn't, but y'know.

Somebody has to do the shilling. :shrug: Ramsay could certainly do this solo, but Graham does add to the show. Joe's smug, sanctimonious rear end can stay gone.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well that was a pretty boring episode of Hotel Hell overall. At least at the end, they got a relatively more secure way of inputting guests' credit card info. And at least next week's drunk rear end in a top hat episode looks more fun.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I actually liked the pressure test; it was a watered-down version of something they did in MC Australia this year. But it really highlighted how much they're missing with not showing the cooks with recipes in hand. In Australia, they even gave them big cone molds to set the profiteroles into, and I think they also got an extra half hour to pull the whole thing off. And it was really disappointing that Courtney was the only one to manage the spun sugar.

But yeah. It did a lot to redeem Courtney in my book. She actually seemed like a person and a decent cook this week, gnocchi notwithstanding.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I hate Joe with an unbridled hatred, but he is the only one that seems genuine. You know he acts exactly the same way whether the cameras are rolling or not, so that gives him some authenticity points in my book.

Whereas loving Gordon has basically become housewife jack off material at this point and Graham is just there to test the color clarity on my TV

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Courtney's pathetic attempts at emotional manipulation are getting more and more blatant.

"Have you ever made one of these before?"
"No, but my mother said she'd make one for me so I just thought of her."

No mother has ever told their child, no matter what their age, that they're going to make a loving pyramid of creampuffs. Nope. I'm calling bullshit on that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Courtney's pathetic attempts at emotional manipulation are getting more and more blatant.

"Have you ever made one of these before?"
"No, but my mother said she'd make one for me so I just thought of her."

No mother has ever told their child, no matter what their age, that they're going to make a loving pyramid of creampuffs. Nope. I'm calling bullshit on that.

In total fairness, I smell the rear end-scratching hand of the producers in that line more than Courtney attempting to be manipulative.

It was terrible, though.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

I hate Joe with an unbridled hatred, but he is the only one that seems genuine. You know he acts exactly the same way whether the cameras are rolling or not, so that gives him some authenticity points in my book.

I was thinking it would the complete opposite to be honest. After watching a few episodes of "The F Word" Gordon is the same but toned down with the chefs he has on there, and that's exactly how I'd imagine he would be in his own restaurants.

Whereas if Joe was the same in his restaurants as he is on the show, no-one would loving work for him.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Whaaaat? You mean I never get the pleasure of watching Tina Belcher compete on masterchef again?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Christian really needs to win this. He's got the best reactions.

"Do you think you're up to this?!"

Yes Chef!

Yes Chef!

I guess...maybe.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The word "practicality" certainly got thrown out a lot by Gordon to describe a fortress made out of puff pastries.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Jaimee :(

Ah well, can't say I didn't see it coming. But I really through she'd knock that out of the park.

Unless they're not doing that "eliminated people come back to fight to come back", I can still hope, right? Riiiight?

But idk if I'd expect her to come back via that anyway. So I guess it's Team Leslie all the way now.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Propaganda Machine posted:

I actually liked the pressure test; it was a watered-down version of something they did in MC Australia this year. But it really highlighted how much they're missing with not showing the cooks with recipes in hand. In Australia, they even gave them big cone molds to set the profiteroles into, and I think they also got an extra half hour to pull the whole thing off. And it was really disappointing that Courtney was the only one to manage the spun sugar.

But yeah. It did a lot to redeem Courtney in my book. She actually seemed like a person and a decent cook this week, gnocchi notwithstanding.

The croquembouche challenge in MC Australia goes all the way back to the first season. There's this great moment when Poh, who was struggling with the profiteroles, pulls the cone off of hers - and it becomes one of those moments they play over and over again.

I want Cutter to go home already. In every team challenge the guy seems difficult to work with and he doesn't seem to have too many great moments cooking on his own either. He's like Lisa from Top Chef Season 4 - mostly being consistently bad, but escaping being cut by having people somehow gently caress up worse on elimination day, even though they've been performing better overall.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Rudager posted:

I was thinking it would the complete opposite to be honest. After watching a few episodes of "The F Word" Gordon is the same but toned down with the chefs he has on there, and that's exactly how I'd imagine he would be in his own restaurants.

Whereas if Joe was the same in his restaurants as he is on the show, no-one would loving work for him.

Yea Gordon is an expert at turning his personality up and down depending on the setting, but it all feels very genuine. He's tapping into real aspects of his personality, but on something like Hells Kitchen he plays up the angry side(and of course there's the editing).

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

I just got around to watching Masterchef, I wish the editors would stop telegraphing who is going home within 2 minutes of the show starting. Right from the start I knew Jaime was gone. I'm watching Season 19 of Amazing Race and it's the exact same thing, it completely ruins the suspense of these shows.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Usually, the person going home will be either the first or second talking head right at the beginning of the episode. 90% of the time, it's the first person to talk.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm going to guess the reason they haven't done the "cook your way back onto the show" episode is because they didn't have anyone the season get booted who they actually wanted to keep on. If Courtney's bad dish had been the one to see her get eliminated half a dozen episodes ago, I'm sure they would have held the episode to give her a chance to get back in.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

I'm going to guess the reason they haven't done the "cook your way back onto the show" episode is because they didn't have anyone the season get booted who they actually wanted to keep on. If Courtney's bad dish had been the one to see her get eliminated half a dozen episodes ago, I'm sure they would have held the episode to give her a chance to get back in.

I think they'd just grit their teeth and say how wonderful it was rather than kick her (see her "incredible" and "perfect" overcooked salmon).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

(see her "incredible" and "perfect" overcooked salmon).

<whispers>Thank you.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

1st AD posted:

Did Cutter say that Leslie was a beautician? Lmao that's great, Leslie is the best.
"House bitch" was what I heard, might've been more I missed.

Davros1 posted:

To be fair, if my mom had mentioned a giant tower of cream puffs once, offhandedly, when I was seven, I would have committed it to permanent memory because goddamn would I destroy one.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

"House bitch" was what I heard, might've been more I missed.

"Ex beautician house bitch that works for his wife."

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Usually, the person going home will be either the first or second talking head right at the beginning of the episode. 90% of the time, it's the first person to talk.

Yep, and once you pick up on that, it ruins the suspense. A remark about a comeback or their personal life at the start of the show, you know they're toast.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I'm catching up on Masterchef, as I caught Season 3 when it was on live, by binging through Season 4 now. Is it worth watching season 1 and 2?
Also watching Ramsays ultimate cookery course and UK\US Kitchen nightmare

I might be addicted to this poo poo but god. Its fun

edit: First episode of Season 4 someone said he's a professional wrestler. I don't care who he is I already want him to go on past the initial picking phase

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Is it worth watching season 1 and 2?

If you enjoyed seasons 3 and 4, absolutely yes. I've watched all four live and I remember 1 and 2 being much more enjoyable.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

I think they'd just grit their teeth and say how wonderful it was rather than kick her (see her "incredible" and "perfect" overcooked salmon).

Let's not forget those donuts made with salt rather than sugar :barf:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

DopeGhoti posted:

Let's not forget those donuts made with salt rather than sugar :barf:

All are eclipsed by the greasy shadow that is:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

Funeral potatoes was the greatest moment of any cooking show ever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

Funeral potatoes was the greatest moment of any cooking show ever.

The fact that the guy actually did call them funeral potatoes(I think he said he brings them to wakes and funerals) is what made it I think. The perfect punch-line; its as if it was a scripted comedy sketch or something.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

The fact that the guy actually did call them funeral potatoes(I think he said he brings them to wakes and funerals) is what made it I think. The perfect punch-line; its as if it was a scripted comedy sketch or something.

It's a midwest thing and, yes, there really are people who think that's the height of cuisine.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I've met plenty of Mormon mothers, and none of them make their funeral potatoes with that much grease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ghostpilot posted:

Didn't this guy get kicked out during the first service?