Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

dogstile posted:

This is truly the best way. "Did you use the slash on the left side of the keyboard or the right hand side" is the question I generally use when anything involving a slash doesn't work.

I swear, if you ever need a job that teaches you how to get people to do what you want, just pick an IT job.

I'm not familiar with the U.K. layout, but it seems that on most U.S. keyboards, they're both on the right side of the keyboard.

I would think that it would be pretty easy for anyone that reads left to right which slash is leaning forward and which is leaning backward. But, we are talking about end users here. :sigh:

To contribute:
Starting to get sick of users complaining that something hasn't been taken care of. Look, I've left you voicemails and emails to let me know when you're available. You haven't responded, so that's on you.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

jim truds posted:

I know we bring it up a bunch but it is insane how people get away with knowing nothing about computers. Somehow it is my fault someone does not know what forward slash is. This is like not knowing which end of the hammer to hold when your job is driving in nails.

I believe you mean "whack" :colbert:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I over explained it, the user honestly just had no idea how a keyboard worked or was layed out.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
IT is now being tasked with getting a handle of employees' voicemails after they leave the company. I really hate the lack of responsibility and management around here and just making IT the janitor crew. My team also cleans up offices not just the expected computer related poo poo. We now have our level 1 guy screening voicemails and trying to determine if they are important or not!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Backslashchat: I just say "backslash, upper left to lower right" instinctively now. Avoids the confusion on the user's behalf, any keyboard differences, whatever.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TWBalls posted:

I'm not familiar with the U.K. layout, but it seems that on most U.S. keyboards, they're both on the right side of the keyboard.

Got a UK keyboard right here. \ is left of Z, / is right of > (which is right of < and M).
(Whereas on my US-keyboard laptop \ is above Return)

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Is it left of Z or zed?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Is it left of Z or zed?

Both. (We don't write the letter Z as zed any more than Americans write it zee :science:)

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

I just tell people "Backslash is below backspace", at least thats how it is on a standard US keyboard.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

"The one above the enter key."

A phrase I say at least once a day.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'm rocking a US keyboard with a UK layout in Windows.

I have no functioning backslash key.
¬!"£$%^&*()_+
{}~
:@
<>?
[]#
;'
,./

(seriously, where the gently caress has it gone?)

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

spog posted:

¬!"£$%^&*()_+
{}~
<>?
[]#
;'
,./

You could try Alt+092. Kind of a pain, but it seems to work for me.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

TWBalls posted:

You could try Alt+092. Kind of a pain, but it seems to work for me.

\

cool

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

spog posted:

¬!"£$%^&*()_+
{}~
<>?
[]#
;'
,./

The # key on a UK keyboard is where the US backslash would be in mapping, I'm pretty sure.

If you want a US keyboard but with UK mods, just edit the layout, presumably you're in Windows, just get the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator.

vv Yeah, but if you're using a UK keyboard map it won't be

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 4, 2014

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Backslash on a standard US keyboard is above the Enter key, below Backspace, in the column aligned all the way to the right of the main section of keys.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Is it left of Z or zed?

Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
So my car dies last night, I shoot an email to the office stating what's going on and that I'm going to be late getting in and that I'm calling in "sick" for it. I get to the dealership after spending 80+ getting it towed there, and then spend close to three loving hours waiting for them to work on it. When they do finally replace the battery the tech and I can't figure out why the gently caress it won't start still. Twenty minutes later, I twist the steering wheel to the left till it locks, depress the brake, hit the start button, and the god drat thing starts up like a champ. gently caress. Pay the dealership, head home, leave a nasty note on their google review page, get cleaned up from sweating like a dog under the sun and head to work. I get to over hear a manager who's part of a merger and being integrated into our team bitch and moan about me using "sick" time to cover an emergency. rear end in a top hat has people working for him that say that he's used "sick" time to stay home and play video games. To be somewhat fair, he's left his computer unlocked multiple times, and the fourth time I found it I sent a "Give me your manmeats" email to the other managers and locked it. So I understand why he has a beef with me, but if he can't drop it I can tell my life is going to get interesting. Still loving pisses me off though.

And I'm over it. Thanks thread.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

fromoutofnowhere posted:

So my car dies last night, I shoot an email to the office stating what's going on and that I'm going to be late getting in and that I'm calling in "sick" for it. I get to the dealership after spending 80+ getting it towed there, and then spend close to three loving hours waiting for them to work on it. When they do finally replace the battery the tech and I can't figure out why the gently caress it won't start still. Twenty minutes later, I twist the steering wheel to the left till it locks, depress the brake, hit the start button, and the god drat thing starts up like a champ. gently caress. Pay the dealership, head home, leave a nasty note on their google review page, get cleaned up from sweating like a dog under the sun and head to work. I get to over hear a manager who's part of a merger and being integrated into our team bitch and moan about me using "sick" time to cover an emergency. rear end in a top hat has people working for him that say that he's used "sick" time to stay home and play video games. To be somewhat fair, he's left his computer unlocked multiple times, and the fourth time I found it I sent a "Give me your manmeats" email to the other managers and locked it. So I understand why he has a beef with me, but if he can't drop it I can tell my life is going to get interesting. Still loving pisses me off though.

Don't be the guy sending emails from someone's unlocked machine. Its dumb as gently caress and causes needless drama. If its that big of deal security wise for your company you have other avenues to go down that doesn't involve being a douche canoe.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Also get AAA.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
You're right, and since that point I haven't, I just go to the head of Security now.

vvv Brilliant.

fromoutofnowhere fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 5, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

If having everyone keep their computers locked is important, it should be being done by policy.

Also I hope you got fired for sending that email.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

stubblyhead posted:

Also get AAA.

AAA is a rip off now that most insurance providers will add road side assistance for $3-5/month. I believe American Express even offers it as a perk.*

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Not pissing me off: Our terrible HR lady is LEAVING! I'm almost tempted to throw a unofficial company drinking party in her honor, after she leaves. Also, my boss has actually done useful things this week. This has to be a dream/delusion. Next week I am sure it will be right back to the terrible, mopy place it's been the last year.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fromoutofnowhere posted:

You're right, and since that point I haven't, I just go to the head of Security now.

vvv Brilliant.

Although its a better plan, didn't you just bitch about someone being petty?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

the spyder posted:

Not pissing me off: Our terrible HR lady is LEAVING! I'm almost tempted to throw a unofficial company drinking party in her honor, after she leaves.

Going away parties like that are great fun, do it.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.

Sickening posted:

Although its a better plan, didn't you just bitch about someone being petty?

I was told to by my direct management?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fromoutofnowhere posted:

I was told to by my direct management?

Come on now, you have to see the irony. :colbert:

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
I do. I'm pretty good at digging my own holes sometimes as well.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Come on, man, just set the guy's homepage to meatspin and do Arrange By Penis and forget about it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Day 1 of "Lets send a network admin out to take pictures of digital signs" is a resounding success. I brought my DSLR so make sure I didn't miss a single detail, we never know when we'll need a 6000x4000 image of a PoE injector.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

poo poo pissing me off today:

-lovely colo servers and providers
-openfire and jabber in general
-bitlbee.

Argh. This will be a long weekend unfucking server poo poo.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
5pm on a Friday and I accidentally delete the website

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Wibla posted:

poo poo pissing me off today:

-lovely colo servers and providers
-openfire and jabber in general
-bitlbee.

Argh. This will be a long weekend unfucking server poo poo.

Openfire was a pain for me too, switch to hipchat and never look back!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

fromoutofnowhere posted:

Last job at a big healthcare company someone did the send email from persons unlocked machine. The next day a corporate letter came out saying that doing that is now an immediate termination for the person who sends the email! I think we had like a 5 minute auto lock GPO.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I just watched my coworker rip apart a mouse in frustration :stare:

mewse
May 2, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Is your coworker a python

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

What made him do it?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I had a coworker (he no longer works here) who, after hearing another staff member complain about a mouse too many times, pulled out a pocket knife and cut the mouse cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I am inches from smashing my laptop to pieces on the corner of a desk, so I can't really say I blame these people.