Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I loved the Time Meddler, although I got grumpy very quickly with Steven's surly attitude, so I was perhaps a bit happier when they put it to rest fairly quickly. It's always kind of irksome to me when a show whose central tenet is time travel spends a lot of time having one character say "Yeah, right!"

I sort of enjoy how innocuous the Monk's plans are and how petty the Doctor's revenge against him is. Rather than two rebel Time Lords duking it out, it feels more like two doddering Time Lords without a plan trying to one-up each other and the both of them cutting off their noses to spite their faces. I can't remember if it's this one or the Dalek one where Hartnell keeps stealing little bits off the Monk's TARDIS and doing a Muttley the Dog laugh about it, but either way, they were clearly having a bit of fun with it.

You should definitely keep doing these, JaKiri. Put them on a blog somewhere if you have another crowd of people besides us SA Who people who might be interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Blasphemeral posted:

If this is the case, what's to stop just any old fan from "sticking their hand up"? I assume there's some controller somewhere who vets applicants, but what are the base qualifications that(/those) person(s) are looking for? Is it just star-power/industry cred? And if it is, what's to stop someone like Gaiman from gritting his teeth and going, "Yeah, OK, give it to me. I'm only gonna do one series, though."

[Edit] Britified the Gaiman quote.

If it's a controller, I hope it's the Time Controller.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

You should definitely keep doing these, JaKiri. Put them on a blog somewhere if you have another crowd of people besides us SA Who people who might be interested.

I might put em up somewhere eventually. Right now I'm just writing them in Word and saving them as well as posting them.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Just let Peter Capaldi write, produce, direct and star in it. Let's see how long he could pull that off before losing his mind.

Oscar winning writer and director Peter Capaldi? Sounds good to me.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The story is 113th in the Doctor Who dynamic rankings. I'm going to stop saying "I think that's a bit low" as there's so much shite in the top 100 it's going to happen for every serial except The Twin Dilemma.

"The Name of the Doctor" being in the top 25 is enough to show this dynamic rankings thing is nonsense.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Time Meddler is a lot of fun, especially the way the Doctor is initially ambushed because he wasn't expecting one of his own people, but once he has that information he quickly gets the upper hand. I love what he does to the Meddling Monk's TARDIS, it always makes me laugh thinking about The Daleks' Master Plan and how the Monk must have struggled to operate that tiny little console room :3:

CobiWann posted:

J-Ru for showrunner. :colbert:

There are very few things that could ever kill Doctor Who as a viable television show forever, but that is one of them.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

So I've got a question. Has anyone else noticed ever that one of Rose's denim jackets has a random cock and balls on the back shoulder?

What's that all about? Costume designer having a giggle? I can't look at anything else while it's on screen.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

That's an eagle, son.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh Trin :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You should have a doctor take a look, Trin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

All throughout season 4 when people were telling Donna,"There's something on your back!" they thought it was a cock and balls.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm working my way through The Dominators on my Doctor Who rewatch and I've recovered a traumatic memory. When I first started watching Doctor who way back when, this was the first surviving Troughton story (there was about a decade until Tomb of the Cybermen resurfaced). Now that's a bad first impression, but for whatever reason, my local PBS station seemingly decided to make up for the lack Troughton episodes by showing The Dominators every Saturday night for a month. I'd tune in each week ready to see the next story, more of those interesting new companions, and possibly get an explanation why they were calling this weird guy "Doctor", and every week for a month they showed The Dominators again.

It's a miracle I survived to Pertwee.

Once they got over the Dominators hump and showed those few Troughtons, they didn't break up The War Games. The show started at 10pm and I think I stayed up until after 2am to watch the whole thing. That one was worth it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Fantastic idea for a movie; terrible idea for a proctologist.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

So I've got a question. Has anyone else noticed ever that one of Rose's denim jackets has a random cock and balls on the back shoulder?

What's that all about? Costume designer having a giggle? I can't look at anything else while it's on screen.

Autonomous Monster posted:

That's an eagle, son.

:vince:

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I'm new to classic doctor who and apparently I have terrible opinions because I thought Caves of Androzani was a bit meh and I'm enjoying Twin Dilemma so far. :D

Sixth doctor kinda rules.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TheChad posted:

Sixth doctor kinda rules.

Absolute truth.

TheChad posted:

I'm enjoying Twin Dilemma so far. :D

This concerns me, because apart from the above there is nothing good about Dilemma.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Final Snyopsis – If you can make it through the first 40 minutes, The Land of the Dead will reward you with great atmosphere, good dialogue, a unique monster, and Peter Davison and Sarah Sutton picking up right where they left off. 3/5.

No pun intended, but this one left me cold. I didn't mind the slow start since it was obviously building to some big reveal, but when it came I found myself less than impressed, not helped by supporting characters whose personalities I found grating and unpleasant. I'm still not sold on the idea of the Doctor/Nyssa team in Big Finish, the stories I've heard so far have been good or bad independent of anything her character brings to the table, even in the case of Primeval where she is utterly integral to the entire narrative. Nothing against Sarah Sutton who gives perfectly fine performances that mesh well with her television appearances, but so far to me nobody seems to have really grasped any aspect of Nyssa's character that would make her stand out ala Janet Fielding as Tegan. Maybe that's the point? That she's exactly what she appears, a very nice and intelligent lady who gets on well with the Doctor and happens to be traveling with him. But considering the responsibility/obligation he supposedly feels for her given his indirect part in her father's death, there needs to be something more. It's not like the writers (or Robert Holmes at least) weren't capable of that, since it's a pretty hefty part of the Doctor/Peri relationship in The Caves of Androzani.

In this story, Nyssa's scientific expertise plays a part, though given the relatively "primitive" equipment that's more about the Doctor feeling confident in knowing he can send her to do a job he would otherwise have to do himself, allowing him more time to closely observe the Permians. Other than that, she is mostly reduced to being placed in peril, and though she shouts and complains and tries to reason with her "captors" she fails to make any progress and ends up needing to be rescued (by the other female character, who gets a lot more agency). It's disappointing, she's there to fall sick under the Permians' influence, to do a little scientific stuff before being turned into a captive "guardian spirit" and tied up to wail for help until she's rescued and other people save the day.

The other supporting characters are thoroughly unpleasant people, both by design in the case of Brett and seemingly by accident in regards to Monica. Tulung and Gaborik are rather embarrassing in the portrayal of the superstitious and easily cowed natives, with lip service paid to their disgruntlement at Brett's abusive treatment of them, their culture, and their land. Gaborik is particularly bad, but Tulung as the "hybrid torn between two worlds" schtick just made me groan. That his version of the "sickness" is to superstitiously declare Nyssa to be his guardian spirit is just goddamn awful, and he never really earns the seeming redemption he has apparently gained at the end of the story when he and Monica head off together to find a vehicle (would it have killed the Doctor to give them a lift?). Brett at least is interesting because he's a thoroughly horrible human being even before the "sickness" drives him mad, so seeing him do mad and bad things makes some sense from a consistent characterization point of view. But the so-called long-standing argument between him and Tulung over whose father was a coward and whose was a hero is just utterly uninteresting, and makes their willingness to work together even after the "sickness" has taken hold all the more unbelievable.

Davison is good. It's not his finest performance, certainly, but he has that same earnest charm of the big brother/young father in over his head but utterly fascinated by everything that is going on that made his run on television so fun. His enthusiastic investigation of the living fossil and his realization that he's gotten his speculation the wrong way round is great fun, and I get a great Troughton vibe from his hopeful jerry-rigged attempts to stop or at least give pause to the Permians. That latter part is something I would have welcomed seeing more of in Davison's run on television, since he seemed to admire Troughton's run as the Doctor. In a story that didn't particularly grab me, it was Davison who kept my interest throughout.

The Permians are a neat concept for a monster, though I do have to question how they were able to apparently roar and growl out loud when they lack any actual organs including lungs. That does seems a bit of a silly thing to complain about though, given the fact they're already impossible creatures - skeletal structures held together not by flesh and blood but some peculiar internalized force of energy. The hybrids are suitably horrific, and they do a good job of raising the stakes by pointing out that absorbing a human has given one of the Permians the ability to think ahead of the short-term and convince the others to work together as a pack instead of opportunistic individual hunters. That they're destroyed by such a simple thing makes perfect sense (and fits in well again with the old Troughton style), though it feels kind of sloppily resolved how the Doctor just assumes the hybrids will probably just die off and everything will be okay.

In the end, The Land of the Dead is a missed opportunity. You've basically got a Doctor Who base under siege story mixed with The Thing which SHOULD be a recipe for success. What they produce is okay, and it should be remembered this is very early Big Finish, but it's still a story that fails to really grab the imagination.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 5, 2014

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Absolute truth.

This concerns me, because apart from the above there is nothing good about Dilemma.

TBF I've only seen about 15 minutes worth and most of that was the sixth doctor hamming it up. (there was also some story involving twins but I tuned out when the doc wasn't onscreen.)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TheChad posted:

(there was also some story involving twins but I tuned out when the doc wasn't onscreen.)

this is the only way to survive Six's TV episodes.

..."On that note, can I interest you in The Marian Conspiracy?" added DoctorWhat, his left lower eyelid twitching involuntarily.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Are any of his episodes 'good'? :(

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TheChad posted:

Well, some say Vengeance on Varos is a classic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TheChad posted:

Vengeance on Varos is good, so is The Two Doctors (some will disagree, they are liars) but they're "good" with qualifiers. Parts of Trial of a Time Lord are excellent, but parts of it are also loving terrible (look for the names Pip'n'Jane for a warning). Colin Baker was extremely ill-served by his time on the show.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Colin Baker was extremely ill-served by his time on the show.

What a pity. :( He's so fun.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Finally got around to giving the first series of Big Finish's Fourth Doctor Adventures that I picked up in the sale a few weeks ago and man they are an absolute blast. "Destination Nerva" was a bit of a bumpy start but I found myself with a big dumb grin on my face during the majority of "The Renaissance Man". Now I just need to decide if I want to get Series 2 first or Philip Hinchcliffe Presents next (my wallet :negative: )

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 5, 2014

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Cleretic posted:

Well, some say Vengeance on Varos is a classic.

:bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I have mysteriously decided that it's time for a new thread :colbert:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662849

• Locked thread