Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Isn't she pretty much the only Star Wars Expanded Universe author to ever get fired from the job?

She left due to "creative difference" (read: fired).

It probably had to do with her flipping out when the Clone Wars cartoon erased pretty much everything she wrote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Pretend the Timothy Zahn books are the only EU books ever and call it good. Read the novelization of Episode 1 if you wan't to witness Terry Brooks desperately try and save the plot of that shitpile.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Pretend the Timothy Zahn books are the only EU books ever and call it good. Read the novelization of Episode 1 if you wan't to witness Terry Brooks desperately try and save the plot of that shitpile.

The X-Wing books written by Aaron Allston were pretty good. The ones preceding that by Stackpole were basically fanfic.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I definitely endorse Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy and the N64 game Shadows of the Empire. Actually, I think the Shadows book was fun too.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

moths posted:

the N64 game Shadows of the Empire.

Only if you're a masochist.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

serious gaylord posted:

Travis worst offences came from the follow up series to that where she turned the jedi into incompetent idiots that were regularly slaughtered by Tacticool Mandalorians and she straight up killed characters that effectively 'belonged' to other authors because she didn't like them. Also she had a massive meltdown over people saying her writing was bad.

I'm now convinced she's the right person for 40k. Hopefully, she'd kill off Gaunt, Eisenhorn, maybe a few of the more beloved Marines. It would be hilarious.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The best SW book is the one where Chewie gets killed with a moon because his response is basically "Fck you moon!"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Slimnoid posted:

The gameplay was decent enough and the flight segments get credit for inspiring some of the best arcade style flight games around. It's just that the prose is god awful, with gems like Chewbacca disguising himself by getting a haircut or the antagonist being a date rape lizard man that gets kicked in the junk.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

serious gaylord posted:

The X-Wing books written by Aaron Allston were pretty good. The ones preceding that by Stackpole were basically fanfic.

Wow, I agree with an opinion by serious gaylord in this thread. :v: In all seriousness, this is the gospel truth. I legitimately find Allston's SW books engaging enough to occasionally pick up and read, even years later. I won't say he's every bit as good a writer as ADB, but he occupies the same relative place in the SW universe. Stackpole's have one of the more annoying Mary Sues in the EU, but if you can get past that, they were also engagingly written. Zahn's trilogy and sequel duology are good, even if not the literary masterpieces that I thought when I was 12.

I had more or less punched out of the SW EU by the time Traviss came on the screen, so I've never read a word of her writing, and it may well be that she's a lovely writer by any standards... but I frankly can't say that the idea of trolling the portions of the EU that were always circling the Jedi-worshipping drain (and seem to have gone further down it since the prequels started up) is a premise that doesn't appeal to me. Of course, if one just wants the piss taken out of the faux moral clarity of the mainstream SW universe, it seems from what I've heard as though KOTOR2 did a more legitimately good job of it, while Traviss just flipped Jedi from lightside paragons to mustache-twirling villains and inserted Mandalorians in their places as objects of worship. So I do take folks at their word when they say that her books are terrible.

mr. stefan posted:

The gameplay was decent enough and the flight segments get credit for inspiring some of the best arcade style flight games around. It's just that the prose is god awful, with gems like Chewbacca disguising himself by getting a haircut or the antagonist being a date rape lizard man that gets kicked in the junk.

Hey now, he actually gets disguised by getting his fur colors and patterns changed. That's a decent job when that's 95% of what visually distinguishes you from other members of your race, as far as most people can tell. :v:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Travis is the reason Allston stopped writing EU books altogether too. His two books in the New Jedi Order series were absolutely phenomenal, he did great things with characters people had barely created. Then the Legacy of the force series comes about and Travis had either killed them off or changed them in ways he couldnt be arsed to deal with.

He died earlier this year and I was quite sad about that.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

serious gaylord posted:

He died earlier this year and I was quite sad about that.

Oh gently caress I didn't know that and now my day is going to be a lot sadder. :smithicide: Feels like when I heard Quinton Hoover had died. Or when I realized Terry Pratchett had gone downhill so hard from his disease. Just a completely lovely thing for someone who's brought you so much nerd pleasure.

I finally read his final Wraith Squadron novel earlier this year, after being too completely disconnected from Star Wars stuff to realize when it actually came out. It was pleasant; IMO the weakest of his X-Wing books (I don't think that setting it after the Yuuzhan Vong war was a great idea) but still quite readable. I think he was actually already dead when I wrote it and I didn't know at the time. :smithicide:

Since you brought up his books in the later series too, I thought his books in the Legacy of the Force series were readable. I forgot that they're the exception to when I said that I had stopped reading SW books by the time Traviss was writing. Like, I honestly couldn't give a gently caress about the other authors in the series, but I bought his books and read them out of context just to enjoy his Star Wars prose. I think I'll do the same with his Fate of the Jedi books at some point. Didn't even know that series existed till now.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Slimnoid posted:

The Battle of Hoth mission was rad until rogue squadron came out.

Also the jetpack was awesome!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Moola posted:

The Battle of Hoth mission was rad until rogue squadron came out.

Also the jetpack was awesome!

gently caress the train level with the IG-88 boss fight at the end, though. gently caress it hard.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

The Gate posted:

gently caress the train level with the IG-88 boss fight at the end, though. gently caress it hard.

i jumped off that train like 100 times

the n64 controller was the loving worst

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

mr. stefan posted:

The gameplay was decent enough and the flight segments get credit for inspiring some of the best arcade style flight games around.

I LPed that game for Dectilon's Hard Games thread and lemme tell you it is a loving slogfest. Later levels are basically "die a lot and hope you have a bunch of lives in stock because you're not gonna get through these without dying."

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
The sewer level is probably the worst in all gaming? Maybe beaten by Vampire Bloodlines...

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Moola posted:

The sewer level is probably the worst in all gaming? Maybe beaten by Vampire Bloodlines...

There has never been a good sewer level.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I dunno Mario bros 1-2 was pretty great dude.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the concept of 'lives' in non-arcade style games always kind of pissed me off.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sewer level of Space Marine fighting all the Orks.

Accurate and on topic :smug:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Yeah, that WAS actually a pretty fun level. Space Marine was a good game. Wish it had gotten the sequel they set up for. :/

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I remember really liking Space Marine, went back to try it recently and did not like it at all.

That's my Space Marine story.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Wait, do you people actually like Jedi or are you all just being ironic? Jedi have such massive plot armor and situational specific powers that they make Super Man look like he uses every power in every book. How Jedi survive past the first 5 minutes of a battle is beyond me but in every movie, save Episode 3, the Jedie live because one of these three things happens; a) they are in friendly territory b) the "bad guys" are shooting one at a time and at the light saber, or c) the bad guys are deliberately missing/not shooting. How you miss with a gun with no realistic projectile ark and recoil is beyond me but it is the cornerstone of Episodes 1-6. Even against non-Jedi's so you can't even use the 'passive force deflector power' aka plot armor excuse.

Jedi's are like the stupid kid finding a genie and wishing to be the smartest person in the world by making everyone else more dumb then them.

Now that the Jedi talk is over, let's get this thread back on topic. How do I look up Forgeworld sales. I want to see is the new Tyranid model that was released last month made the list.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Wait, do you people actually like Jedi or are you all just being ironic? Jedi have such massive plot armor and situational specific powers that they make Super Man look like he uses every power in every book. How Jedi survive past the first 5 minutes of a battle is beyond me but in every movie, save Episode 3, the Jedie live because one of these three things happens; a) they are in friendly territory b) the "bad guys" are shooting one at a time and at the light saber, or c) the bad guys are deliberately missing/not shooting. How you miss with a gun with no realistic projectile ark and recoil is beyond me but it is the cornerstone of Episodes 1-6. Even against non-Jedi's so you can't even use the 'passive force deflector power' aka plot armor excuse.

A good post

Here is the new silly tyranid model for your trouble

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Jedi's are like the stupid kid finding a genie and wishing to be the smartest person in the world by making everyone else more dumb then them.

Now that the Jedi talk is over, let's get this thread back on topic. How do I look up Forgeworld sales. I want to see is the new Tyranid model that was released last month made the list.

I, too, enjoy my Warhammer 40k fiction because of its gritty realism of men charging entrenched enemies with chainsaw swords while still carrying functional guns.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The only things worse than Jedi are Space Marines.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

A good post

Will people ever get tired of spending $80+ on Tyranid crap that looks exactly like every other Tyranid to people who don't play them?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I don't think Forgeworld report their sales?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's less PLEASE CITE SALES INFO and more "Gee, FW makes tyranids pretty much on autopilot."

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

moths posted:

That's less PLEASE CITE SALES INFO and more "Gee, FW makes tyranids pretty much on autopilot."

Pretty sure the original question asked for FW sales numbers to see if the Dimathing was in them yet :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh! That was hidden at the end of a post about Jedi (who I don't care about enough to read a post).

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Night10194 posted:

The only things worse than Jedi are Space Marines.

Jedi Space Marines!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Bad Star Wars EU writers would fit right in with 40k fiction.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Which 40k author was it who straight up plagiarized an entire novel?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
It was Henry Zou's Flesh and Iron and it wasn't an entire novel.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Which parts was it then?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The part about not letting someone see their children as they die was the particularly egregious bit iirc.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

BULBASAUR posted:

A good post

gently caress this for 2 reasons.

Reason 1: I'm pretty sure they just keep putting existing tyranid parts together at random and casting the result.

Reason 2: 3 Malanthropes for 240 bucks. Holy poo poo. On what planet does that make sense. But on the other hand they look so good. I wonder what els... [clicks on Horus Heresy area] OH god. Wow. WOW.

I hate how forgeworld *always* makes me second guess getting out of GW products.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Moola posted:

Jedi Space Marines!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Moola posted:

Jedi Space Marines!