Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

CLAM DOWN posted:

the world outside America!

You're using English words, but in this arrangement they don't mean anything. Are you missing punctuation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't even understand - a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts is $9 by itself, how are you keeping your food budgets so low? You guys must be drinking less Mountain Dew than me or something.

My wife and I spend about $1,000/mo on food - need to damned eat out less. (that said I'm having Torchy's Tacos for lunch today and it's gonna be amazing)

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 4, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I spend waaaay too much money on food, and it's pretty much all because I can't really bring my own lunch to work.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 6, 2016

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Food talk: Food is my primary hobby. I eat out for most of my meals, mostly at places I haven't been yet, though I don't snack and I don't eat a lot of meals, so I remain only slightly overweight :v:

I haven't really kept track of my spending, but I'd guestimate $500-600/month just for me.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'd probably save tons if I cooked at home but I live right in middle of downtown.

It's hard to say no when it's only a minute of walking to good pizza,burgers,beer,tacos,etc...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tab8715 posted:

It's hard to say no when it's only a minute of walking to good pizza,burgers,beer,tacos,etc...

My biggest regret about living in a small city is that I can't do this. Every time I'm in a real urban area I get overwhelmed by close, cheap and awesome food and it's bliss.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

My biggest regret about living in a small city is that I can't do this. Every time I'm in a real urban area I get overwhelmed by close, cheap and awesome food and it's bliss.

Last time I was in Manhattan I found a place called Prosperity Dumpling -- 10 for $2

When I left, I felt like I was leaving them behind. Ten cabbage/pork dumplings for two freaking dollars, my god

The dumpling place in my city is like 12 for $7.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's funny when Americans get shocked at how expensive food can be elsewhere :)
A good thing I'm British then! :downs:

My post was of course hyperbole. But considering Dogstile's post concerning the bare minimum, £80 a week is far from it. Foreign supermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl have caused the bigger, more established shops such as Tesco, Asda etc to engage in a massive price cut war. It's entirely possible to live on £20 a week. You won't enjoy it though.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Comradephate posted:

Food talk: Food is my primary hobby.

Me too, except cooking it, not eating out :v: I mean, I love to eat at restaurants, but it's expensive as gently caress and since I have no willpower I always end up ordering something incredibly unhealthy. I find cooking fun, relaxing, and a nice creative outlet after being down in the technical trenches all day. Same reason my other hobby is drinkingbrewing beer, it's fun to actually produce a physical good for a change. I don't have numbers handy but I'd guess my wife and I total ~$600 on food per month between us, counting one decent meal out a week. And we're not even very good about coupons, sales, buying in bulk etc.

Not really surprised by others' food budgets, though. Across multiple companies, I always seem to be the only guy in the office who brings his own lunch. Every day people go out and spend $10-15 on the one meal. Which brings just their lunch budget close to my entire monthly food spend. I don't care, buy whatever makes you happy. Just a trend I've noticed, no one cooks anymore.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 4, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's funny when Americans get shocked at how expensive food can be elsewhere :)

Relative to whom? I bought a whole goat in Afghanistan for $15.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

psydude posted:

Was it alive? Bad deal man.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Was it alive? Bad deal man.

Killed that morning. I had a professional butcher in my platoon who cleaned and cut it. We actually probably did get ripped off, but we'd been eating rations for 7 days at that point so we decided to splurge a little.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

psydude posted:

Was it this goat? Cause hey, free shepherd protein.

Mildly NWS but only if you work in Nazi Germany.

http://prepperchimp.com/2014/08/03/video-israeli-drone-captures-hamas-forces-having-sex-with-goats/

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

A good thing I'm British then! :downs:

My post was of course hyperbole. But considering Dogstile's post concerning the bare minimum, £80 a week is far from it. Foreign supermarkets such as Aldi and Lidl have caused the bigger, more established shops such as Tesco, Asda etc to engage in a massive price cut war. It's entirely possible to live on £20 a week. You won't enjoy it though.

Well I mentioned I could live far cheaper. But £80 covers eating out once a week, which everyone my age seems to want to do. It's definitely possible to live a hell of a lot cheaper, but you'd be miserable.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Just a trend I've noticed, no one cooks anymore.

Eh, sort of...

It's a social thing too and sometimes I just want to get out of the office.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'd rather cook for 8 than go out and eat with them

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I'm not sure what to think about this. There's apparently a demand for this product.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm not sure what to think about this. There's apparently a demand for this product.

Gotta make that money

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Possibly YOTJ :toot: Have a call in 2 minutes with a Triple CCIE I interviewed with last year but his boss wouldn't hire a PM for me to work with, now they have a better and actually available position for me.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

We have two large locations that have their own I.T. staff. One has its own I.T. Manager and two guys, the other place has a phone guy and an I.T. support person. They report to their site VPs. Over the years my various bosses have tried to strong-arm me into providing "oversight" of these two teams without giving me the Director title and more pay. Each time I bring up getting the appropriate title they hem and haw and talk about my basically doing what they want first and then maybe they'll make the change, as if I haven't already proven I know how to do this drat job well.

Today the VP overseeing those two sites tells me that there have been numerous prolonged network outages, bad enough that people have been getting sent home early. I haven't heard any of this, and pointed out that since none of these people report to me it makes sense that I wouldn't have been notified. He's trying to work me back into that gray area where I somehow need to know about this and provide feedback or take action to resolve things.

After over three years of pushback from my many bosses on giving me the appropriate title and compensation for this additional responsibility I'm not giving in now. Perhaps this is the situation that will make it clear to them that if they want my skills applied they need to do the right thing. Or maybe they'll just can me. I think they just spin a wheel of fortune to make these decisions.

This got glanced over but...

If you refuse the promotion, you stay where you are and nothing changes.

If you accept the promotion you don't get the title or salary increase but despite this your for all intents and purposes a manager.

Your no longer a tech responsible for just some system or whatevers in your ticket que but an entire IT Infrastructure - which is essentially the business because we all know how important IT is...

If things go well, you can go to your supervisor and prove to them how you've prevented outages and helped make whatever systems more efficient. Then you're totally open to demanding the appropriate title and compensation.

Of course, they may bullshit you but you're still technically a manager. That's when you start applying for other IT Management positions. Granted, it may be difficult with your title but a carefully worded Cover Letter or interview conversation explaining your circumstance may just open the right door.

If you want to be even more methodical, get all buddy-buddy with your techs. When you quit, tell where you're going and open positions :evil:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 4, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tab8715 posted:

If things go well, you can go to your supervisor and prove to them how you've prevented outages and helped make whatever systems more efficient. Then you're totally open to demanding the appropriate title and compensation.

Right, this is how you could handle it if you were dealing with adults who viewed you as a human being, and not a toy ball on the end of an elastic band.

Were I in his place, the last thing I would be inclined to do is extend any more benefit of the doubt to the people who have so far offered me nothing more than vague mumbling.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Epilogue: I was going to use the job offer to at least try to get a raise, but right after I declined the offer, the digital copy of it became inaccessible. Kids, print a hard copy of your offers.

Anyway, I said gently caress it, I'll bluff. I came to my boss this afternoon and somberly told him the offer was still pending (even said it was higher than it was) and I needed to know whether or not my current job will give me a $6/hr raise before end of day, so I can know whether or not I'm going to take the new job.

Boss called the HR director who then pulled boss, CFO, and CEO into a surprise meeting.

My boss walks by me on the way out from work like "Nice work, they gave you the full $30/hr". I told him about the bluff and he laughed (he hates this place as much as me).

I'm ashamed I left them grift me for so long but I'll get over it a little faster now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zero VGS posted:

I told him about the bluff

Why would you do this?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Congratulations, that's hilarious and awesome, but yeah, tipping your hand like that? That doesn't sound like a way of doing things where they necessarily stay done.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Looks like I'm going to be leaving NetApp to go to a VAR and be a Pre/Post-Sales Consultant. Slightly less money, but they have unlimited PTO, zero-dollar health care (for the employee, at least) and some other nice perks, in addition to giving me a chance to work with some technology that I haven't gotten to play with as much since I've been at NetApp. Should be a nice change of pace. NetApp is a really excellent company to work for though, and if you ever get a chance I would highly recommend it. They treated me really well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Nah, we're cool, he gives no fucks how much I'm paid and in fact he'd rather I be paid more so I don't go and he's hosed over.

He told me months ago he's going around applying, so we're at that kind of relationship.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What is pre or posts sales anyhow?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tab8715 posted:

Pre-Sales: Meet with the customer, discuss their needs and requirements, propose hardware/software purchases that will help them meet those requirements, come up with plan to implement the stuff you've just sold.

Post-Sales: Actually implement that plan.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

Pre-sales is where you come in pre-agreement and say "hey look at all the cool poo poo we can do for you give us moneys." The hours you put in are at risk (i.e. you might not get any money from them ever) and the end result is a limited functionality proof-of-concept. Post-sales is the actual real deal project where they're paying you to do something. Kind of the same concept as drug dealers giving you a little taste for free to get you hooked.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's also a good opportunity to set out the actual product capabilities before sales-sales gets involved.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Tab8715 posted:

This got glanced over but...

If you refuse the promotion, you stay where you are and nothing changes.

If you accept the promotion you don't get the title or salary increase but despite this your for all intents and purposes a manager.

Your no longer a tech responsible for just some system or whatevers in your ticket que but an entire IT Infrastructure - which is essentially the business because we all know how important IT is...

Of course, they may bullshit you but you're still technically a manager. That's when you start applying for other IT Management positions. Granted, it may be difficult with your title but a carefully worded Cover Letter or interview conversation explaining your circumstance may just open the right door.

If you want to be even more methodical, get all buddy-buddy with your techs. When you quit, tell where you're going and open positions :evil:

I should've made it clear that my title is I.T. Manager, and I'm the sole I.T. person for the entire company outside of those two locations. So that's about 130+ people, 20+ sites, two states, etc. I have no staff.

So no one's offering me a promotion, they're just once again trying to herd me into taking this on for nothing other than their persistent disdain. I've been through three annual reviews where when I brought up that the I.T. Director is what's appropriate for my responsibilities they always say "Well let's see how things go over the next year" as if I'm some sort of probie instead a proven employee with a fuckload of I.T. management experience.

So they can give me what's right, or can me, or let me stay but keep looking at me funny or... I don't know. I'm weary of working at places where they can't do the basics. I'd love for my work challenge to be the work, not my bosses.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I'd love for my work challenge to be the work, not my bosses.

Wouldn't we all. I guess it's just too much to expect a boss to have your back in the face of unreasonable demands, run interference when you're trying to get things done, and shield you from corporate politics. It's especially bad when the boss is non-technical and doesn't really understand what value IT brings to the company; it's like having a dean of medicine who isn't even a doctor.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I just want to say thanks to a couple of people in this thread, namely Fiendish Dr. Wu, for giving me the confidence to finally chase a spot in IT. I've been in touch with a couple different places and things are looking pretty promising, I hope to switch jobs by the end of the year!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

SamDabbers posted:

Wouldn't we all. I guess it's just too much to expect a boss to have your back in the face of unreasonable demands, run interference when you're trying to get things done, and shield you from corporate politics.

I've had plenty of decent to great bosses. This thread can be pretty fatalistic sometimes and it leads to people thinking that there are no good jobs, good bosses, or good companies out there, so they should just suck it up and suffer. You have to be proactive about looking for those things and advocating for yourself, but they are out there.

Alternately, work to become the boss and do things the right way.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

drat Nips, you're going to leave NetApp? Isn't that one of the best places to work in the country? Pre/Post sales can be fun I guess, I would get tired of the meetings and power points though.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

NippleFloss posted:

Pre-Sales: Meet with the customer, discuss their needs and requirements, propose hardware/software purchases that will help them meet those requirements, come up with plan to implement the stuff you've just sold.

Post-Sales: Actually implement that plan.

This is accurate, but do note that often Pre-Sales' plan is a PowerPoint slide with a single bullet reading "Post-Sales Will Figure it Out."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SamDabbers posted:

Wouldn't we all. I guess it's just too much to expect a boss to have your back in the face of unreasonable demands, run interference when you're trying to get things done, and shield you from corporate politics. It's especially bad when the boss is non-technical and doesn't really understand what value IT brings to the company; it's like having a dean of medicine who isn't even a doctor.

It's not too much to expect. It's exactly what you should expect, among a number of other things. This is how I go into a new gig: everyone gets the benefit of the doubt, I expect to be treated a certain way, and in return I operate in good faith. I think that's a pretty good deal for the people I'm working with and for.

I am, however, always prepared for disappointment, and if it happens they suddenly have a real hard time getting me to take their word on anything.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

NippleFloss posted:

I've had plenty of decent to great bosses. This thread can be pretty fatalistic sometimes and it leads to people thinking that there are no good jobs, good bosses, or good companies out there, so they should just suck it up and suffer. You have to be proactive about looking for those things and advocating for yourself, but they are out there.

Alternately, work to become the boss and do things the right way.

I'm 47 and I've had one great boss, one good one and a couple of ok ones. This is across decades and industries, public and private. When I was a director I worked hard to be the kind of boss I wanted and my staff told me I'd accomplished that so I've seen things from the other side too.

That said I understand my experience is unusual. Most people won't have as many jobs as me, or as many lovely bosses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Does anyone have experience in human cloning, DNA replication, etc? I've got a new sys admin on my team, he's been here probably 3 months. I wish I could plant a whole field of him.

I'm thinking of holding a team meeting in which I scream "why aren't you Aaron" in everyone's face in turn.