Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

api call girl posted:

fair enough

lol nope

still good to use as a generalized service to kill all sorts of things, not just ssh
Have a single public-facing SSH server that has your key on it and then use that as an ssh relay to all the servers that ban sshing from everywhere but your home and office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Mr Dog posted:

anyway kdbus and gnome sandboxes will solve this for the narrow case of desktop applications (which tbh nobody really cares about for linux anyway). so you'll have a sandboxed GNOME Weather applet and GNOME Music application that can be released to users directly via self-contained release ZIPs from upstream downloaded via the GNOME Software application. Great.

app stores don't really work for server applications though, which is why I'm not so keen on this one-size-fits-all solution. There the problem is slightly different: all of the languages used to develop server apps have their own siloed package managers which don't interact with rpm or deb at all (node.js npm, Java maven, Perl CPAN, whatever thing Python has). But arguably that isn't important as long as you wall off some chunk of the FHS for them to play in, then set up ansible/puppet/whatever to use the system-level package manager to install your db servers and managed code VMs, then in parallel command the managed code VM package managers to install your application packages. I dunno. It doesn't seem like a problem that really needs fixing.

The only real area where this becomes a problem is when you have rpm/deb-packaged desktop apps written in these managed langs. Then you end up making rpm/deb packages for CPAN modules or whatever and it all goes straight to hell.

Either way these are two very different problems with very different desired final solutions. Poettering's Hall of Mirrors doesn't really seem to solve either of them particularly well.
Vast swathes of test suites may be our best option at this point (both the upstream ones and distro-created ones in the packages themselves). That way we can at least prevent our own regressions from upgrading the shared bits, which so far has been a surprisingly difficult problem!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
http://boycottsystemd.org

Lmao look at this moron

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

yool 1014 monks would have theological debates on how many souls of the damned could have fit in a cask of ale.

yool 2014 monks do this.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if systemd wasn't a thing then i'd say runit is quite nice, it gets the whole orthogonal co-operating processes thing really right.

trouble is systemd solves more problems (i.e. actually understanding interprocess dependencies itself instead of expecting an admin or developer to explain them), even if it isn't quite as pretty. i do like pretty things but even i prefer slightly less pretty things that actually get poo poo done.

redis is much prettier than postgres and the associated cesspit that is sql, for instance. unfortunately redis requires the db to fit into core and uh can't even filter poo poo when querying a data set, and that's rather important functionality imo.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 5, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Hey instead of running this comprehensive thing I recommend you use these distro-specific bespoke packages that don't even purport to be init replacements

Also code xbill to replace bill gates with poettering

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mr Dog posted:

if systemd wasn't a thing then i'd say runit is quite nice, it gets the whole orthogonal co-operating processes thing really right.

trouble is systemd solves more problems (i.e. actually understanding interprocess dependencies itself instead of expecting an admin or developer to explain them), even if it isn't quite as pretty. i do like pretty things but even i prefer slightly less pretty things that actually get poo poo done.

redis is much prettier than postgres and the associated cesspit that is sql, for instance. unfortunately redis requires the db to fit into core and uh can't even filter poo poo when querying a data set, and that's rather important functionality imo.

"lightweight" vs. "solves hard problems"

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Origin posted:

yool 1014 monks would have theological debates on how many souls of the damned could have fit in a cask of ale.

yool 2014 monks do this.

the "do one thing and do it well" theology coupled with all the world's a file is the worst

like, I get the appeal, it was still semi believable 20ish years ago, it's simple and therefore appeals to fresh grads, but it just doesn't stand up to the real world. sometimes you have to violate these principles. Unix did almost from the very beginning, I assume plan 9 tried to be more true but lol plan 9

also lol at the idea that systemd is on the same complexity scale as the kernel itself

also if these guys are so desperate for "init reform but MY SIMPLICITY" they should get off their asses and port launchd plus apples log daemon, p sure it does most of the same poo poo without being as complicated. have read poettering's reasons for not just cloning launchd and it was something vague about it not providing certain things enterprise linux wants but hey if you want the simpler version it is out there, and loving well proven irl

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

quote:

Ultimately, systemd's parasitism is symbolic of something more than systemd itself. It shows a radical shift in thinking by the Linux community. Not necessarily a positive one, either. One that is vehemently postmodern, monolithic, heavily desktop-oriented, choice-limiting, isolationist, reinvents the flat tire, and just a huge anti-pattern in general. If your goal is to pander to the lowest common denominator, so be it.

truly the derrida of software for initializing processes

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

What about these

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Write your own os/graphics stack/windowing to get away from systemd (and then reimplement xbill as xpoettering)

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

BobHoward posted:

the "do one thing and do it well" theology coupled with all the world's a file is the worst

like, I get the appeal, it was still semi believable 20ish years ago, it's simple and therefore appeals to fresh grads, but it just doesn't stand up to the real world. sometimes you have to violate these principles. Unix did almost from the very beginning, I assume plan 9 tried to be more true but lol plan 9

also lol at the idea that systemd is on the same complexity scale as the kernel itself

also if these guys are so desperate for "init reform but MY SIMPLICITY" they should get off their asses and port launchd plus apples log daemon, p sure it does most of the same poo poo without being as complicated. have read poettering's reasons for not just cloning launchd and it was something vague about it not providing certain things enterprise linux wants but hey if you want the simpler version it is out there, and loving well proven irl

I seriously wonder if these kinds of assholes were around when BSD became more popular than what AT&T was offering?

"Nooooooo I prefer UUCP networking over this TCP crap and gently caress using the Mach VM system MICROKERNALS? a bloo a bloo ugu ~"

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

sometimes i think id like to use a tiling wm because i end up tiling everything in normal wms, then i go look at tiling wms and there literally isnt one that doesnt require setting up a config. why would you want some sensible default keybindings to put some windows a screen when you can learn a whole dsl and dependency ecosystem to have a clock

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Origin posted:

I seriously wonder if these kinds of assholes were

and are

grats if you dont have to listen to a coworker complain about linux not being gnu enough on a monthly basis

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

app stores don't really work for server applications though, which is why I'm not so keen on this one-size-fits-all solution. There the problem is slightly different: all of the languages used to develop server apps have their own siloed package managers which don't interact with rpm or deb at all (node.js npm, Java maven, Perl CPAN, whatever thing Python has).

way back in the day when RPM was being designed, the only one of these siloed package managers that existed was CPAN. RPM knows very well about CPAN and will happily resolve dependencies from CPAN. this seemed like a cool interop feature at the time, but it is never used today

the reason is that this turned out to be a horrible mis-feature. filling RPM deps using installed CPAN libraries just makes your configuration unpredictable, because CPAN solves a lot of problems wrong and badly. they all do. rubygems is the worst offender, but cpan and cran and pypi and npm can all gently caress right off for similar reasons

for the most part these systems:
  • don't sign code
  • can't reliably or predictably version code
  • cannot distinguish "source" from "artifacts"
  • have no way to handle multiple runtime versions
  • can't elucidate their C library requirements in metadata

RPM does all of these things correctly. Rubygems does none of them. Maven scores 3/5. Pypi scores 1/5. Rate your pet system as you see fit -- i don't spend enough time with npm or cran to really pick them apart.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it is ok to hate RPM -- it's ugly and painful and riddled with horrible legacy things -- but the things it does properly are not done properly by other things

don't talk to me about letting upstream package things until you can show me how my app will reliably depend on signed artifacts (yes, artifacts not source) that i can repeatably deploy

maven is far and away the least broken language "silo," but it is still far from perfect (and usually rpm is still your best bet at deploy-time, even if you use maven to build the drat rpm)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Breakfast All Day posted:

sometimes i think id like to use a tiling wm because i end up tiling everything in normal wms, then i go look at tiling wms and there literally isnt one that doesnt require setting up a config. why would you want some sensible default keybindings to put some windows a screen when you can learn a whole dsl and dependency ecosystem to have a clock

i3 is p decent by default, but is still probably more useful if you actually learn it. however, like vim, i like it despite having only learned enough to be competent.

id kill to have it on windows for work.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
poettering's energies would be better spent developing an rpm and deb replacement to strongarm everyone into switching to

and have its installation processing be declarative with a fixed vocabulary that can maybe be extended over time. deb went the opposite way: debs used to have completely freeform installation shell scripts that ran as root but over time bits and pieces of these all got packaged into "debhelper" scripts and now most debs install themselves exclusively by calling a sequence of debhelper scripts from the installation script and nothing else

or something. i've never actually built a deb.

make shared library developer ppl do some semver type thing and have all these different .so builds install side-by-side. use debian's multiarch approach to handle x86 and x86_64 on the same system because that is the Correct Solution to this problem. nobody has ever explained to me why we need crazy filesystem namespacing bullshit to install /usr/lib/libdickbutt.so.1.5.3 and /usr/lib/libdickbutt.1.6.2 side-by-side (and have .1.5.3 automatically replace 1.5.2) with the package manager maintaining its own index of the available .so versions installed on the system and available in the package repository.

u can then install a package produced by upstream and if like, it says it needs shared libs X Y and Z and DBus services org.foo and org.bar then whatever distro ur running the pkg manager should be able to satisfy them. maybe even have some URLs where upstream (signed!) versions can be downloaded (and where security-patched updated binaries can also be updated as they become available)

then go through the absolutely monumental effort of making everything produce deterministic builds that have a cryptographically secure link to the Git commit used to produce each of these binaries and i'm already gettin a semi thinking about it

or, you know, do a lovely half-assed solution where you stuff a bunch of binaries that came from gently caress-knows-where into a gigantic loving tarball and sucks to be you if /usr/@SOMERUNTIMEPACKAGE-JUSTGONNASHITTHISALLOVERYOURFILESYSTEM-1.27.3.00176543-f00cface/lib64/libz.so turns out to contain a buffer overflow

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

poettering's energies would be better spent developing an rpm and deb replacement to strongarm everyone into switching to

and have its installation processing be declarative with a fixed vocabulary that can maybe be extended over time. deb went the opposite way: debs used to have completely freeform installation shell scripts that ran as root but over time bits and pieces of these all got packaged into "debhelper" scripts and now most debs install themselves exclusively by calling a sequence of debhelper scripts from the installation script and nothing else

or something. i've never actually built a deb.

make shared library developer ppl do some semver type thing and have all these different .so builds install side-by-side. use debian's multiarch approach to handle x86 and x86_64 on the same system because that is the Correct Solution to this problem. nobody has ever explained to me why we need crazy filesystem namespacing bullshit to install /usr/lib/libdickbutt.so.1.5.3 and /usr/lib/libdickbutt.1.6.2 side-by-side (and have .1.5.3 automatically replace 1.5.2) with the package manager maintaining its own index of the available .so versions installed on the system and available in the package repository.

u can then install a package produced by upstream and if like, it says it needs shared libs X Y and Z and DBus services org.foo and org.bar then whatever distro ur running the pkg manager should be able to satisfy them. maybe even have some URLs where upstream (signed!) versions can be downloaded (and where security-patched updated binaries can also be updated as they become available)

then go through the absolutely monumental effort of making everything produce deterministic builds that have a cryptographically secure link to the Git commit used to produce each of these binaries and i'm already gettin a semi thinking about it

or, you know, do a lovely half-assed solution where you stuff a bunch of binaries that came from gently caress-knows-where into a gigantic loving tarball and sucks to be you if /usr/@SOMERUNTIMEPACKAGE-JUSTGONNASHITTHISALLOVERYOURFILESYSTEM-1.27.3.00176543-f00cface/lib64/libz.so turns out to contain a buffer overflow

have u considered...isntalling gentoo?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The issue with making a better deb/rpm packages is that at the end of the day... they're still deb/rpm. deb/rpm have three things: the file format itself, the user runtime, and the build system and infrastructure around them.

As a developer, the build system and infrastructure around them is terrible: I don't like duplicating all my commit messages into four different changelogs (upstream git log, debian changelog/rpm specfile, package git log, RHEL-mandated CHANGELOG file). I don't like the 80s-style workflow of patch files in a directory, rather than just building from a git branch. My workflow should be "point an automated tool at this git branch".

As a user, I'm not a fan of the user runtime, either. I don't like how libpng means that I can't upgrade Firefox, or if Firefox fails to upgrade, I can't install an upgrade to LibreOffice separately. Bundling system components and applications together in the same namespace has always provided for a terrible user experience.

Unlike Poettering's solution, I've developed an app bundle system that *can* deal with security updates, applicable by the system admin, not the runtime developer. I think it's inexcusable to not have a way for the sysadmin to hotpatch your system in a sane way, especially with how 0days develop in this climate.

And then there's the file format, which is what all the arguments are about, and that I don't give a poo poo about. Metadata's metadata, at the end of the day.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Yet these people still don't want to use FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, or DragonBSD.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

Yet these people still don't want to use FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, or DragonBSD.

tell your boss you want to go to production on openbsd, report back

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the reason systemd is controversial is that it has been picked up by redhat, the 800 lb gorilla. there is no meaningful "choice" there.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

so is lunix available on the desktop yet itt

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

theadder posted:

Yep. We've sold all 100 of our prototype computers to real users. Unlike most valley companies, we actually have revenue.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

theadder posted:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am microtel

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

http://www.microtelpc.com/ still a website

check out they pcs

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
MCS6013
• Intel Core i7 920
• 3GB DDR3-1333 memory
• NVIDIA 250 GTS 1GB Video
• 24x DVD+-RW Drive

From $899

:pcgaming:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

tell your boss you want to go to production on openbsd, report back

seems like it would be OK as a firewall or route server

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

We use OpenBSD + OpenVPN for remote access to clients sites.

Just searching the company document share and it looks like we even have production systems written in Go on OpenBSD :lol:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

any vision of linux succeeding on the desktop that somehow involves libreoffice is ridiculous on its face

gdocs is a more viable route since it actually does some things better than the thing people already have (cost is an illusion, people get office), but that p. means linux on the desktop would be chromeos which community-wise is p. much worse than microsoft staying on top since more foss stuff happens on windows than on chromeos

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

it has no monitor because the graphics drivers don't work.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

computer toucher posted:

it has no monitor because the graphics drivers don't work.

But it has speakers? Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Origin posted:

"Nooooooo I prefer UUCP networking over this TCP crap and gently caress using the Mach VM system MICROKERNALS? a bloo a bloo ugu ~"

at least the latter was something a lot of people actually whined and complained about back in the Net2/386BSD days.

those of us with some exposure to Mach knew better

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Breakfast All Day posted:

grats if you dont have to listen to a coworker complain about linux not being gnu enough on a monthly basis

this is something I never hear at my job and I'm very happy for it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

sold
prototype

what

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

this is something I never hear at my job and I'm very happy for it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

We're a small company, we can't support ten thousand users overnight. We made 100 of the bamboo machines as a test run off our line, 50 of them shipped to Guatemala, and they were sold to real users who were aware this was a beta. We're going to be doing user testing and infrastructure rollout on these 50. All that will change between this and the full 100,000 first production line is the image shipped on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the reason systemd is controversial is that it has been picked up by redhat, the 800 lb gorilla. there is no meaningful "choice" there.
And Ubuntu, who are even abandoning our own hipster bespoke init replacement upstart.