Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

That was a summary of every gipper in that comment sections posts.

The issue is also a winning one for Abbot because a lot of kids are taking online courses for things like elective courses or pre-college credit out of high school and people will get that confused with the degree mill he wants to turn the a&m and UT system into, and finish Perry's dedicated work to destroying any competent future for the state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
e: nm

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I don't think this has been posted yet, but Greg Abbott has a new ad about being handicapped. I'm not judging his decision to play the wheelchair card, I think it's actually a very effective ad (if a bit confusing with the morning-in-texas the messaging) but of course I have to laugh at how Abbott supporters would interpret an identical ad depicting the struggle of succeeding as a woman or a minority in modern society.

I'm surprised he played this card so early.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?pAuKRyQgvgU

Embedding from my phone is difficult: Garage: http://youtu.be/pAuKRyQgvgU

Randandal fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 3, 2014

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Maybe it's just because I know he's a piece of poo poo, but I disagree about it being an effective ad. "Look, I know it's hard and it sucks and it's painful to elect Republicans because we're making things more difficult for you, but just one more and then everything will totally be fine until we make your lives hell again tomorrow."

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

Maybe it's just because I know he's a piece of poo poo, but I disagree about it being an effective ad. "Look, I know it's hard and it sucks and it's painful to elect Republicans because we're making things more difficult for you, but just one more and then everything will totally be fine until we make your lives hell again tomorrow."

Yeah the ad makes no sense but that's to be expected from a guy who promises nothing. It's a feelgood ad and it exposes a double standard... If Wendy Davis appeals to her underdog status as a woman, she's playing gender politics, but Greg Abbot can run an ad like that and pretend like being a disabled white man is more disabling than being an ablebodied anything else.

This is also a guy who trotted out the only Hispanic member of his extended family to try to grab some cheap race card votes. Madrina - Mother-in-Law: http://youtu.be/kUF9bGLdnEc

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah yes the story of how I got rich as gently caress and then used that money to become powerful and then tried to prevent other people from doing the same.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

zoux posted:

Ah yes the story of how I got rich as gently caress and then used that money to become powerful and then tried to prevent other people from doing the same.

Jesus Christ. If there was a picture of Uncle Ruckus in a wheelchair I would post it right here.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I think its a pretty good ad that will resonate with low-information voters. People that know about what a shitheel Abbott has been and his hand in tort reform won't like it, sure, but the average joe will root for this guy like hes Rudy (who notably, is also a giant piece of poo poo).

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I feel like a hypothetically competent Wendy Davis campaign would put together an ad describing Abbott's legislative efforts against disabled Texans and air that poo poo right now.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Randandal posted:

I feel like a hypothetically competent Wendy Davis campaign would put together an ad describing Abbott's legislative efforts against disabled Texans and air that poo poo right now.

Which Politifact Texas would then rate that ad "Liar Liar Pants on Fire" because Abbott never technically voted on any of those measures :smug:

Plus, you know that if the Davis campaign mentions disabilities they'll get pummeled by accusations of being biased against people in wheelchairs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also they are inept.

I have so many friends who are hype as gently caress about Wendy and getting involved in politics like never before and they always come to me with puppy dog eyes and say "She's got a chance right" and I have to crush their little hopes and dreams and tell them she's going to get smoked worse than Chris Bell because the GOP has now taken its other hand from behind its back.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
New political system guys the cities get 1 rep and the suburbs and the rural areas get another one that way Texas will only be kinda hosed for the next 10 years instead of totally.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SirKibbles posted:

New political system guys the cities get 1 rep and the suburbs and the rural areas get another one that way Texas will only be kinda hosed for the next 10 years instead of totally.

It always blows my mind that Texas used to have multi-member districts.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

It always blows my mind that Texas used to have multi-member districts.

Austin just stopped electing all its city council members at-large this year. We're doing them by district for the first time ever this November.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Austin just stopped electing all its city council members at-large this year. We're doing them by district for the first time ever this November.

The "gentleman's agreement" over the council seats was the easiest institutional example of Austin's segregation without a map.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

The "gentleman's agreement" over the council seats was the easiest institutional example of Austin's segregation without a map.

At least now it's explicit, I guess.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

72 candidates!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Here is the map, with accompanying demographic data. This incoming city council is going to be wildly different than the last one, which is why you're seeing the flurry of activity from existing members.

I just went over the candidates for District 6, for the northwest side. There are four dudes running. One is a single-issue traffic problems candidate whose solution is to decentralize downtown and increase suburb growth (lol). The second is a tea partier. The third talks about his family and how Austin is a great place to live and doesn't even have an 'issues' section on his website (but is still willing to spend lots of money on billboards I've seen around town??). The last is what looks to be a moderate guy who has lots and lots of okay ideas and fleshes them out a lot. Not remarkable, but very professional; probably a Masters in Public Policy type.

This is about as good as one could expect from the suburbiest (but not richest) part of town.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I am in District 7. Wall to wall nimbys.

:byodood: "Neighborhood Character!" :byodame:

Also this isn't the first time Austin has had districts. neighborhood districts were a thing from 1840 to 1909.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 5, 2014

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'm in 9, which is mostly rich white people but also East Riverside and some east of I-35. Both of the candidates are current council members and I'm not really sure which to choose. I'm leaning towards Kathie Tovo at the moment since she has endorsements from Austin Black Democrats and the Austin labor group (I have no idea what it's called). I've got a friend running in District 4 and he might actually win.

Also, did anyone go to the police violence forum on Tuesday? That was awkward as hell.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm in 5 because I live in the '04 :smug:

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Wendy was on Rachel Maddow last night: http://on.msnbc.com/1qKnKVW

and Morning Joe today: http://on.msnbc.com/1lT2Rsy

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I'm in 3, and I have no idea how I'm going to decide on a candidate, there seem to be quite a lot here and there's not too much difference between them at first blush.

E:

zoux posted:

I'm in 5 because I live in the '04 :smug:

3 has some '04 too. :colbert:

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 10, 2014

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sardonik posted:

I'm in 3, and I have no idea how I'm going to decide on a candidate, there seem to be quite a lot here and there's not too much difference between them at first blush.

E:

3 has some '04 too. :colbert:

Jesus, are those people all going to be on the ballot? My district only has 3 candidates.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Jesus, are those people all going to be on the ballot? My district only has 3 candidates.

What on earth does the libertarian candidate mean by 'ending protectionism (reduces traffic)'?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

What on earth does the libertarian candidate mean by 'ending protectionism (reduces traffic)'?

Probably wants toll roads and thinks that the city government is somehow responsible for the toll road moratorium.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Probably wants toll roads and thinks that the city government is somehow responsible for the toll road moratorium.

I guess he means this:

quote:

When it comes to Austin traffic, it is not a question of whether or not there is a problem. It is clear our city is in desperate need of better traffic systems. This stems, in part, from some of our city’s corporate activities through their practice of offering large tax breaks for businesses to relocate to Austin. While this may continue to boost our growing economy, the City Council failed to invest adequately into our infrastructure to meet the new demand brought by incoming businesses. Ending the practice of aiding corporations relocating to Austin temporarily will give us the opportunity to improve our infrastructure and allow for more, and better growth in the future.

The bond proposal that is currently up for a vote for infrastructure changes I consider to be very problematic. The current City Council voted to combine the road improvements and rail project into one ballot vote. This limits our ability to choose between the good and the bad within the proposed plans. I believe there exists a potential proposal that could more effectively reduce traffic congestion and limit the environmental impact while costing Austin taxpayers less money. This proposal has been passed over in the name of expediency, and we are now racing to adopt one-hundred-year-old rail technology rather than considering the latest technology in mass transit: Personal Rapid Transit (PRT). I have developed a proposal that meets all of these goals, and will be posting it on this website soon.

Seriously guys, why build urban rail when we could build urban rail with tiny cars! Its brilliant!

Edit: Missed this good part, remember its not increasing property values that cause gentrification, but property taxes

quote:

Gentrification in Austin’s neighborhoods is a serious issue for many families struggling to maintain their long-time homes. The trouble lies not in the purchase and improvement of properties, (there’s nothing wrong with one person making a fair offer on another person’s property), but rather from the ever-increasing property tax burden that forces many families to have to relocate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ha the City Council just lowered the property tax rate this week. Though appraisal values continue to go up, but I don't know what a city councilman could do about that.

Did anyone get the bond measure mailer? It was one of the better one's I've seen and I've never seen one that used the term "clusterfuck" before.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm in 9, which is mostly rich white people but also East Riverside and some east of I-35. Both of the candidates are current council members and I'm not really sure which to choose. I'm leaning towards Kathie Tovo at the moment since she has endorsements from Austin Black Democrats and the Austin labor group (I have no idea what it's called). I've got a friend running in District 4 and he might actually win.

Don't vote for Tovo, she's completely in the pocket of the NIMBY neighborhood associations. Unless you're looking for the central core of the city continuing to be filled with single-family homes and their yards.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Ha the City Council just lowered the property tax rate this week. Though appraisal values continue to go up, but I don't know what a city councilman could do about that.

Did anyone get the bond measure mailer? It was one of the better one's I've seen and I've never seen one that used the term "clusterfuck" before.

Does Austin do the property tax freeze at age 65?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Does Austin do the property tax freeze at age 65?

I *think* that was a temporary statewide measure, but I can't recall for sure.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

I went to the KLRU mayoral debate, Todd Phelps' idea for Austin traffic was "make I-35 bigger plus uber" :bravo:

Also Randall Phillips or whatever the gently caress is name is is so goddamn sad. Steve Adler was very, very scripted but his script said things I liked.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Badger of Basra posted:

I went to the KLRU mayoral debate, Todd Phelps' idea for Austin traffic was "make I-35 bigger plus uber" :bravo:

Also Randall Phillips or whatever the gently caress is name is is so goddamn sad. Steve Adler was very, very scripted but his script said things I liked.

To be fair, is there anything Austin can do to fix its north-south traffic problem that is both feasible and likely to happen instead of the entire city just choking to death? I moved back to Dallas and was reminded how traffic here at its worst is still about the level of Austin on average*.

*The lovely Dallas-only phenomenoa of "60mph bumper-to-bumper" notwithstanding. I mean if anyone sneezes we'll all die, but at least we're getting somewhere.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ronwayne posted:

To be fair, is there anything Austin can do to fix its north-south traffic problem that is both feasible and likely to happen instead of the entire city just choking to death? I moved back to Dallas and was reminded how traffic here at its worst is still about the level of Austin on average*.

*The lovely Dallas-only phenomenoa of "60mph bumper-to-bumper" notwithstanding. I mean if anyone sneezes we'll all die, but at least we're getting somewhere.

North-South's not too bad, if you've got the Formula 1 reflexes to drive on I-35 or the fact that you have about 6 inches of clearance on all sides on Mopac due to the construction narrowing the lanes. East-West is the real pain in the rear end in Austin. There's not a single East-West highway, just "major roads", so have fun driving through a residential area at 45 MPH and worrying about knocking your side mirrors off on a passing car or a parked one.

<-- Former Conan's Pizza Driver.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ronwayne posted:

Yeah get rid of the upper lower deck split.

There is nothing that you can do about Austin traffic that won't lead to a three year ultimate clusterfuck due to road closures and construction.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Yeah get rid of the upper lower deck split.

There is nothing that you can do about Austin traffic that won't lead to a three year ultimate clusterfuck due to road closures and construction.

Put it all underground and integrate east and west :getin:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What they need to fix is the goddamn train that blocks Oltorf at Lamar at rush hour every other day :ssj:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Decentralizing really probably would help, but that's not something you can just do.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

Decentralizing really probably would help, but that's not something you can just do.

I'm sure if anyone can figure out a way to bend space and time so that the major attractions of downtown, UT and the SoCo/Barton Creek Cultural Zone aren't right next to each other the city planners would be all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ReidRansom posted:

Especially when any attempt to build anything not SFH outside of the CBD is met with screams of Neighborhood Character!

A Georgetown - San Marcos commuter rail setup similar to MARC or Caltrain would be a great first step. A Liberty Hill - Bastrop or Driftwood - Elgin alignment would be amazing. And while I'm absolutely dreaming of completely politically infeasible solutions let's go ahead and annex Rollingwood and West Lake Hills.