Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bumping for the imminent smart watch onslaught at IFA.

moto 360, a round LG watch and yet another Samsung are expected at the least.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I'm a stupid, stupid early adopter. While the LG G Watch is interesting thanks to the potential of the platform it's running, the hardware just feels rushed.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I just managed to get $176 Cdn + shipping for my Gear Live (despite some scratches on the metal bit) so I'm ready for my third smart watch of 2014. Thought it'd be the 360 for sure but I'm open to other non-ugly options.

I like Android Wear a lot. Works great during work and in the car.

Samsung's custom stuff on the other hand...

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

Reverse Centaur posted:

I just managed to get $176 Cdn + shipping for my Gear Live (despite some scratches on the metal bit) so I'm ready for my third smart watch of 2014. Thought it'd be the 360 for sure but I'm open to other non-ugly options.

I like Android Wear a lot. Works great during work and in the car.

Samsung's custom stuff on the other hand...

For what you've spent on three "smart" watches, you could have gotten a nice regular watch.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Citizen Tayne posted:

For what you've spent on three "smart" watches, you could have gotten a nice regular watch.

I have a Tissot and a G-Shock and have spent $50 on smart watches.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Two wearables announced:

LG G Watch R

"The G Watch R isn't a successor to the G Watch, but rather a premium option for those looking for something a bit more stylish and watch-like, according to LG. The 1.3" display is definitely a bit on the small side, though, with Motorola's not-quite-fully-circular LCD on the Moto 360 measuring 1.5", the GWAR could be at a dimensional disadvantage. While the GWAR's overall display surface area is actually slightly greater than that of the standard G Watch, less of that surface area is going to be usable in many practical scenarios, just because of the way Android Wear looks and functions. It also does appear that the outer band of second tick-marks is in fact a physical part of the watch, not the display, so the G Watch will have a substantial "bezel" (if you can call it that) to it."

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...ess-steel-body/

Samsung Gear S

"Samsung is taking the wraps off of yet another new smartwatch, but the Gear S (not Solo) has a twist: there's a 3G modem inside. While it may not be especially fast, that means that even when outside the range of a Bluetooth-connected phone or WiFi, it can still send and receive messages or make calls. It has a 2-inch AMOLED screen plus a dual-core 1GHz CPU inside along with GPS, heart rate and motion sensors, all powered by a 300mAh battery Samsung says can last up to two days. It runs Tizen instead of Android Wear, with pedestrian navigation available from from Nokia's HERE and support for Facebook. In the run up to IFA next week Samsung is also bringing the Gear Circle headset (yes, we also figured they'd save that name for a round watch) that pairs with a phone over Bluetooth, letting users hear notifications, use voice commands or listen to music through the earbuds."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/27/samsung-gear-s-3g/

I was interested in the idea of a wider Gear Fit but not without Android Wear. :(

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

He didn't want a regular watch.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Reverse Centaur posted:

Two wearables announced:

LG G Watch R

"The G Watch R isn't a successor to the G Watch, but rather a premium option for those looking for something a bit more stylish and watch-like, according to LG. The 1.3" display is definitely a bit on the small side, though, with Motorola's not-quite-fully-circular LCD on the Moto 360 measuring 1.5", the GWAR could be at a dimensional disadvantage. While the GWAR's overall display surface area is actually slightly greater than that of the standard G Watch, less of that surface area is going to be usable in many practical scenarios, just because of the way Android Wear looks and functions. It also does appear that the outer band of second tick-marks is in fact a physical part of the watch, not the display, so the G Watch will have a substantial "bezel" (if you can call it that) to it."

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...ess-steel-body/

Of all the smart watches I've seen this is the first one I might actually consider wearing.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah, those G Watch R renders look really nice, but they're just that: renderings. I'd like to see an actual photo. Also, what the hell is that button/knob on the side?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Yeah, those G Watch R renders look really nice, but they're just that: renderings. I'd like to see an actual photo. Also, what the hell is that button/knob on the side?

It's called a crown.

Probably just to continue the regular watch aesthetics and an easy to find button/input to use without having to look at it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The thing that gets me about the renders is they have the shimmer effect on the dial. You know, if your dial has texture on it, you get a an effect as your PoV changes because light is reflected differently.

So, all their renders have an effect that cannot possibly be reproduced by the display.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The G Watch R seems like the wrong way to approach smart watches. The trajectory of wearables reminds me of how auto makers couldn't figure out what to do with hybrid/electric cars. They looked like silly sci-fi cars at first, then just like regular cars, and now Tesla is trying to create a safe-but-unique, nice looking style.

The Galaxy Gears of cars

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Car makers are stupid and think that the same people who are interested in green technology are also interested in futuristic looking poo poo. Unfortunately they cross-referenced the Jetsons when they were coming up with their futuristic design for the Prius. Tesla is proof that an electric car doesn't have to look like a clunky piece of poo poo.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah, that's my point. The G Watch R is too similar to current watches, but they will eventually find a way for people to say "hey I'm wearing smart watch" without also saying "look at this goofy piece of plastic poo poo on my wrist."

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I backed the Rufus Cuff, which I'll hopefully get at some stage in the future. But my question is about Bluetooth. I've never really used it on my phones but the Cuff will connect to my phone via Bluetooth (no android wear).

How many things can connect to Bluetooth at the same time? The phone and watch are connected, now can I connect Bluetooth headphones to the Watch as well? It's using Bluetooth 4 if that makes any difference.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yeah, that's my point. The G Watch R is too similar to current watches, but they will eventually find a way for people to say "hey I'm wearing smart watch" without also saying "look at this goofy piece of plastic poo poo on my wrist."
And they can call it the Moto 360.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tunga posted:

And they can call it the Moto 360.

I think I have to see one in person. Which will probably on my wrist, after I buy it. But it could be. It's almost too much of a plain circle.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

I backed the Rufus Cuff, which I'll hopefully get at some stage in the future. But my question is about Bluetooth. I've never really used it on my phones but the Cuff will connect to my phone via Bluetooth (no android wear).

How many things can connect to Bluetooth at the same time? The phone and watch are connected, now can I connect Bluetooth headphones to the Watch as well? It's using Bluetooth 4 if that makes any difference.

You should be fine. I've had both my Pebble and my LG G watch connected while Bluetooth connected to my car and streaming music.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Awesome, that's perfect! I'll post a full review when it arrives. In March... Maybe...

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-says-android-wear-about-to-get-even-smarter-q-a/

Sounds like Android Wear will be getting another update this week, and soon with further updates it will support connections to Bluetooth headsets and support watches with internal GPS (although unless it's just hiding and unactivated, none of the existing devices have GPS).

The use case they're pitching is that you could go out for a run but leave your phone at home, and still use the watch to listen to your music and collect stats on your run with Strava or whatever.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sony is switching to Android Wear - good move. Watch design is uninspired though

"Sony's been making smartwatches since before they were cool, and with the advent of Android Wear it was only a matter of time before they made another. Enter the Smartwatch 3, announced at IFA today, running Google's new platform specifically for wearables. The third member of the family comes with a 1.2GHz quad-core processor, 1.6-inch screen and Sony's now trademark IP68 waterproofing. Other key features include 4GB of storage, 512MB of memory NFC support, GPS and a 420mAh battery (charged over micro-USB)."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/03/sony-announces-smartwatch-3/?ncid=rss_truncated

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sony also announced the SmartBand Talk, which looks exactly like the Gear Fit but with an e-ink screen and voice control.

"The SmartBand Talk pairs up with an Android 4.4 phone and has a built in microphone, letting you take calls directly from your wrist, access and call a contact, or set a playlist to start playing. Always on thanks to the low-power drawer of its 288 x 128 E-Ink display, you'll get a solid three days of use out of the 26 gram SmartBand Talk before needing to recharge its built in battery. Available with a black or white bezel, the inch-long display is a separate module, letting you take it out and place it in a number of different coloured straps for a more personal feel."

http://gizmodo.com/sony-smartband-is-an-e-ink-wristable-that-works-with-a-1630042908

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 3, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

And of course the one everyone's waiting for, the Asus ZenWatch!!!

http://www.asus.com/Phones/ASUS_ZenWatch_WI500Q

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Reverse Centaur posted:

And of course the one everyone's waiting for, the Asus ZenWatch!!!

http://www.asus.com/Phones/ASUS_ZenWatch_WI500Q

When are we going to get a watch that can plug into the back of a phone that can plug into the back of a tablet that can plug into a lapdock?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

G Watch R hands on. Can't decide what I think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pTL5Hfhgec

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That actually looks better than their renders which is nice. It seems like a decent (if safe) overall design, but I think the time marks along the rim are silly and out of place. If you decide to use a digital clock, they are meaningless and kind of ruins the overall look of the device.

I think it's better to leave them off and possibly do something else with the bezel (like a subtle etched pattern) if they wanted some visual flair on it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, that's the biggest problem I have with that design, too. I get that they're going for the classic analog watch face, but it's just going to look goofy with anything other than an analog dial.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Eh, don't love it but I'm buying it or the Moto 360, they can battle it out over pricing and availability, I think that's how most people are going to feel. The tick marks were a huge mistake though.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
360 already getting trashed by a clueless gal. WSJ broke it's NDA, pulled the video from their site and of course Live Leak posted it immediately thereafter.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f8e_1409882534

Wireless charging confirmed. Cool.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

She says it had to charge twice a day. There's no way that's true.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

She says it had to charge twice a day. There's no way that's true.

Yeah, the yearning for the iWatch was dripping from her lips. Whatever. If it's true that it needs two charges to get through a single day, this thing is DOA at any price.

Moto ain't that dumb but biased reporters are.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ugh I still hate that bottom bezel. I sold my Gear Live in anticipation of this but I am not 100% sure I will pull the trigger because I know I'll never be ok with that, and we're seeing glimpses of better designs already.

I hated the Gear Live's giant bezels too, but at least they were symmetrical.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

hotsauce posted:

360 already getting trashed by a clueless gal. WSJ broke it's NDA, pulled the video from their site and of course Live Leak posted it immediately thereafter.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f8e_1409882534

Wireless charging confirmed. Cool.

I already discounted her the moment she started throwing out unsubstantiated wearable apple device rumors in a product review of a real thing. If that comes out by all means compare it.

e: the death by notifications on the phone and watch does look to be annoying as gently caress.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

incoherent posted:

e: the death by notifications on the phone and watch does look to be annoying as gently caress.

You can block notifications from specific apps plus easily swipe down on the screen to mute.

Looks like the 360 won't be available in Canada at the same time as US. Sigh

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I know, I have a moto X. It should be intelligent to just "know" a android watch is paired and send the notifications accordingly.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Early 360 reviews seem a bit disappointing. Bad battery life and the screen turns completely off if you turn off the battery-killing ambient light sensor, worse screen quality than Gear Live, and no metal bands available at launch. Will be $50 extra for metal later on.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The poo poo battery life is a real dealbreaker. Very disappointed.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Whizbang posted:

The poo poo battery life is a real dealbreaker. Very disappointed.
Unfortunately I think this is the unavoidable truth. I could deal with a one day battery life, like 18 hours. I don't need to take my smartwatch camping or whatever, I have a traditional watch for those situations. But 12 hours is simply not good enough to use in general everyday life.

I'm really surprised because a lot of early leaks and rumours suggested that the 360 had better battery life than the first two Wear devices. So part of me wonders if this is some unexpected issue in the early devices that The Verge and WSJ received. But mostly that it just blind hope.

Ah well, back to watching the rumour mill for the next great wearable release.

Edit: One question I have about it is whether I can drop it on any QI charger or if it has to be the official dock. I might be able to live with it if it's the former. Of actually rather it changed by cable, could easily plug it in at work while coding rather than having to take the watch off.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 5, 2014

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Tunga posted:

I'm really surprised because a lot of early leaks and rumours suggested that the 360 had better battery life than the first two Wear devices. So part of me wonders if this is some unexpected issue in the early devices that The Verge and WSJ received. But mostly that it just blind hope.

I want to say they originally said it would be an AMOLED screen too which could contribute greatly to the battery situation.

e: also it MIGHT be addressable to a certain extent by continued software updates. They've been saying "this is final hardware" in prior tech demos so it sounded to me like the SW was way undercooked. The ambient light sensor issue, for example, may be addressed by tweaking polling rates or something.

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

12 hour battery life is hilarious. I realize my Droid Maxx has a huge battery but I seriously shouldn't be required to charge my smartwatch more often than my cellphone.

One of my favorite things about my Pebble is that it can outlast my Maxx. They both last all day and I just charge them up when I goto bed.