Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Sweet! I remember seeing an animated short about Dock Ellis on youtube or whatever. This could be interesting.

EDIT https://vimeo.com/45983332

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Just watched Daughter from Danang and it was stone-cold crushing.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

penismightier posted:

Just watched Daughter from Danang and it was stone-cold crushing.

Where did you find it?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Ropes4u posted:

Where did you find it?

It's on youtube as the first link on google.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I really enjoy Nick Broomfields docs, for all their flaws. They're more entertaining than accurate, and its hilarious how he always ends up intruding on the key people his films are about.

"Biggie and Tupac"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x02bE_GzbJo

Not sure if this ones been posted, but this is a doc on how forest plants and animals are all interconnected. It showcases the clever genius of mother nature.

BBC - "The Magical Forest"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khaYeIpmePo

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Back To 99 posted:

It's on youtube as the first link on google.

Thank you! I always forget to look there..

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I'm having trouble finding a particular Lion Pride documentary.

This one was unique, in that the pride lived in an extinct volcano rim (ugh... I think) which provided unlimited prey/meat. The entire pride were so muscular that they looked like they needed a steroid test.

In the documentary one lioness 'solos' a water buffalo by drowning it. The pride Male was ridiculous, had a mane so large it looked like a prop.

I would appreciate a little help pegging this one down, it has to be at least 8 years ago.

Thanks

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
This looks to be older than 8 years, but it's still pretty good and has lions in a volcanic crater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3fpDUaXn20

Crater Lions of Ngorongoro

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Thanks, my searches were taking me to Ngorongoro but this isn't the doc.

Searching for largest lions, lions with unlimited meat, all get me the prides with the highest headcount.

Edit: I think I found it.

Link to Article

quote:

Marooned on an island, this group of lions should have died out. Instead, in an evolutionary twist, they've learned to swim and become strong enough to tackle their only prey... giant buffalo
Fearless, ferocious and mightier than the world has ever seen, this is the new breed of super-lion.

----- Lionesses are the same size as males on the mainland -----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqRZ-BCPPvQ

Herv fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 5, 2014

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Was listening to Filmspotting and Adam recommended this as a good watch

Dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npe6yTYmTiM

Anyone seen it?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

xcore posted:

Was listening to Filmspotting and Adam recommended this as a good watch

Dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npe6yTYmTiM

Anyone seen it?

Man I gotta see that...

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I'm watching Mitt and there's a bit where McCain is ribbing Romney in the 2008 nomination campaign, and says: "Mr Romney and I disagree on many things but one the we can agree on: he is the candidate of change." He then looks at the camera with a naughty smirk for a good few seconds.

What is going on here? Is there some joke other than just sarcasm because Romney is... ?

I'm British so other than looking over at the presidential elections from time to time, I don't know a lot of the smaller details.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ineptmule posted:

I'm watching Mitt and there's a bit where McCain is ribbing Romney in the 2008 nomination campaign, and says: "Mr Romney and I disagree on many things but one the we can agree on: he is the candidate of change." He then looks at the camera with a naughty smirk for a good few seconds.

What is going on here? Is there some joke other than just sarcasm because Romney is... ?

I'm British so other than looking over at the presidential elections from time to time, I don't know a lot of the smaller details.

Obama's entire 2008 campaign centered on change. I believe the motto of the campaign was "Change we can believe in" or something like that. So he was probably just mocking Obama.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Ahh, I see, that makes sense. Thanks.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Mahoning posted:

Obama's entire 2008 campaign centered on change. I believe the motto of the campaign was "Change we can believe in" or something like that. So he was probably just mocking Obama.

Could also do with Romney's ever changing stances on issues over the last decade. If there is one thing the Republican base does not like, it's evolving viewpoints on issues.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
The Battered Bastards of Baseball is pretty entertaining, about the Portland Mavericks in the mid 70s. Its a Netflix Original, and worth a look. Kurt Russell and his dad feature heavily.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
A new Ken Burns documentary series on the Roosevelt family started last night. I guess most people know what to expect from Ken Burns by now, but I still really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the more Eleanor centric episodes because I know the least about her.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 15, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Drunkboxer posted:

A new Ken Burns documentary series on the Roosevelt family started last night. I guess most people know what to expect from Ken Burns by now, but I still really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the more Eleanor centric episodes because I know the least about her.

Oh drat, thanks for the heads up! I liked his last doc, Prohibition, but didn't fall in love with it like I did the Civil War, The National Parks, etc. Hoping the Roosevelt one is great!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The National Parks is one where you think it's just gonna be dull as hell and it's turned out to be one of my favorites.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The National Parks is one where you think it's just gonna be dull as hell and it's turned out to be one of my favorites.

It's got stupendous cinematography and has the benefit of not having to rely entirely on old photography.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Is the Ebert Documentary released this year a good watch for someone that didn't grow up watching him and isn't aware of the cultural impact he had on criticism and American cinema?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2382298/

Also, this is playing in Chicago right now and soon to be released on DVD (and I assume some sort of streaming service). Looks cool

The Homestretch
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2492002/

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 16, 2014

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Kull the Conqueror posted:

It's got stupendous cinematography and has the benefit of not having to rely entirely on old photography.

I actually really love the photos. They really know how to pick the right ones and they really make them work with the narration.

The Roosevelts is amazing so far (just watched the third episode). Jesus, this is going to be 7 episodes/14 hours. Ken Burns and Dan Carlin really should do something together.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Popelmon posted:

I actually really love the photos. They really know how to pick the right ones and they really make them work with the narration.

The Roosevelts is amazing so far (just watched the third episode). Jesus, this is going to be 7 episodes/14 hours. Ken Burns and Dan Carlin really should do something together.

Oh man, I've love to see Carlin's recent WWI series turned into a Ken Burns doc about the absolute hell of WWI.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
After watching most of the first episode of The Roosevelts last night, I'm convinced that I'd watch (and love) a Ken Burns documentary about grass growing or paint drying.

It's rare that a director is so formulaic and yet I actually prefer it that way. It makes it feel as if its the same person telling you a new story. Like your father is reading you a brand new bed time story.

Also, Peter Coyote's voice is just so :allears: I'm upset that he didn't do the 10th Inning of Baseball. I didn't love Keith David's narration as much as Peter Coyote's.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If you guys are interested, there's an awesome documentary about Norwegian black metal called Until the Light Takes Us. It is very well done and has a lot of interviews with some pretty big names in the NBM scene (specifically Fenriz of Darkthrone, Frost of Satyricon and 1349 and Varg Vikernes of Burzum). If you are not into the music of black metal the soundtrack won't hurt your ears either, while there are examples of the music it's not overwhelming and anybody not into the music will still be able to enjoy the film. Pretty awesome documentary. I think it is available on youtube.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm probably going to spend my Saturday catching up with this.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I watched that new HBO doc Terror at the Mall today, about this event: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westgate_shopping_mall_attack. Honestly it's one of the most terrifying things I've seen in a while, and certainly one of the most violent- the filmmakers aren't shy about showing the many corpses left behind in the wake of the violence, and at one point we even witness the murder of a man futilely trying to hide from terrorists underneath the statue of an elephant.

The film keeps the focus on the events as they unfolded at the mall (With occasional interview clips) mostly through footage recorded from security cameras, and I'm not sure if that's for better or worse. It surely paints terrorism as the loving horrifying and chaotic, violent thing that it is, but I wonder if perhaps a little more of the history of how Kenya, Somalia, and the Islamist group al-Shabaab all relate would have helped contextualize the event. Honestly as it is, I questioned why I was even watching something this brutal after a while.

Anyone else see this doc yet? Am I completely off-base here?

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 19, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Just watched Terror at the Mall and yeah, wow that is an intense film. I had to take a breather part way into it because it's really terrifying.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Raxivace posted:

Terror at the Mall

Oh, thank you, will definitely watch this one.

After a year of gobbling down historical and scientific documentaries, I've just turned to forensic and crime-related ones. It eases the neurones, though it's another thing for the heartbeat. Or the heart, period :smith:

For anyone interested in the history of ancient empires, I suggest the series "Engineering an Empire," available on YouTube. Episodes on Rome, China, Russia, Carthage, Persia, and so on. How they came to be, how they lived, how they fell down.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What a cornball title. Terror at the Mall!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Sounds like a cheap 70s horror movie.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
On the BBC iPlayer right now, a Storyville that covers a Chinese Internet Rehab Boarding school thing for teenagers.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Panic! at the Disco! Terror at the Mall!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I just want to say, I'm through 4 parts of The Roosevelts: An Intimate Portrait and it is absolutely top notch Ken Burns. On par with his 3 greatest docs: The Civil War, Baseball, and The National Parks.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Mahoning posted:

I just want to say, I'm through 4 parts of The Roosevelts: An Intimate Portrait and it is absolutely top notch Ken Burns. On par with his 3 greatest docs: The Civil War, Baseball, and The National Parks.

I just started watching The Dust Bowl. It's very engrossing and I'm realizing how little I knew about it. The interviews with people who were there tug at the heart strings and give an inkling about how terrifying it must have been to see those giant black clouds rolling in.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
We watched "Pablo" on netflix last night. It's about a guy named Pablo Ferro who does amazing title sequences for films. It is one of the most visually interesting movies I have ever watched. His story is fascinating and Jeff Bridges narrates; give it a go!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Watching Terror at the Mall at the moment, not even 25 minutes in.

Jesus Christ, you guys weren't kidding.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Fifteenthing Terror At The Mall. Jesus I'm going to go adopt a kitten now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

On the BBC iPlayer right now, a Storyville that covers a Chinese Internet Rehab Boarding school thing for teenagers.

Like for internet addiction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Like for internet addiction?

Yup, pretty much.