Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Quest For Glory II posted:

e: Right now you can get Dustforce and Cubetractor for 2 bucks: https://indiegamestand.com/deal/

Cubetractor is totally worth playing. It's like an old NES puzzle game like Lolo or something. Very cute, very clever, pretty challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sober posted:

Conviction made Splinter Cell fans foam at the mouth, so I consider that a victory.

I actually have a friend who worked on Blacklist and he made sure you could pull of a bunch of bullshit in the levels because he kept pestering the level design team to get it in.
Well I know why it makes them upset, the level design is about as linear as it gets and forces you into nonstop action combat. They put a lot of cover around to give you the impression that you can ghost your way past encounters but you end up realizing it's a complete sham and there's no way to get through undetected. So there's areas that end up being combat zones that have a billion cover spots.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The best part of the Year of the Snake Sleeping Dogs DLC'S many best parts is I failed to read the arrest instructions properly and kept slamming a handcuffed dude's head in a door. "STOP RESISTING ARREST!"

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Thanks for the Windows 8.1 info. All of the bad experiences I remember people talking about were literally from the first day it came out, so I filed it in my brain under "check back later." I've got it installed now and everything seems to be working fine.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SynthOrange posted:

The best part of the Year of the Snake Sleeping Dogs DLC'S many best parts is I failed to read the arrest instructions properly and kept slamming a handcuffed dude's head in a door. "STOP RESISTING ARREST!"

I'm glad I'm not the only one who did that (accidentally, and repeatedly). :shobon: The other best part is shouting out cheesy police one liners while beating up dudes. Such as kicking a mook into a payphone and making a "You have a right to a phonecall!" quip as Wei picks up the receiver and smashes the dude in the face with it.

Speaking of faces, its great when you're using tear gas to suppress a riot and some cultists show up wearing gas masks. What does Wei do? Does he drop the teargas launcher and fight them hand to hand? NO. He/You shoot them right in the gasmasked face with the tear gas grenades. :black101:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

OF all the weird loving games on Steam... this. I have no idea.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Gonkish posted:

It's stupid and ridiculous and knows it. It's funny and if it goes on sale it's worth a twirl.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gonkish posted:

Birdgame is better than Sakura Spirit or DNA Gender Bender Twister Whatever and don't you dare say otherwise :colbert:

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Lester Shy posted:

Thanks for the Windows 8.1 info. All of the bad experiences I remember people talking about were literally from the first day it came out, so I filed it in my brain under "check back later." I've got it installed now and everything seems to be working fine.

Windows 8 owns so good choice

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I just bought Dustforce for a goon through GMG to use my cash, and didn't even realize it wasn't a Steam key. :downs:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Well I know why it makes them upset, the level design is about as linear as it gets and forces you into nonstop action combat. They put a lot of cover around to give you the impression that you can ghost your way past encounters but you end up realizing it's a complete sham and there's no way to get through undetected. So there's areas that end up being combat zones that have a billion cover spots.

That's basically it. If it actually was a Jack Bauer game I think we might even see people recommend it regularly, but publishers always take established franchises in new directions, and in most cases 'new' means 'worse' relative to a standard set by the previous games. But there are games which did it right like Dead Space 2, it was more actiony but still true to the general feel of the game. Can't really say the same about the sequel, though...

e: what the hell, Risen 3 is actually good, the combat is better although still teetering precariously at the edge of sucking at times, but everything else so far is great

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 5, 2014

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

So, Dead Rising 3.

On the one hand, hamhanded "social" ""commentary"" and two out of three bosses so far have been annoying gimmick fights. And it freezes up on shutdown.

On the other hand, oh my gosh you can run around as The Sluttiest Servbot and shoot instakill purple dildoes out of a leaf blower

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
So, any opinion on Damnation? It looks interesting, but I have been burned before.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Has anyone recently received receipt mails from IndieGala or GamersGate without having bought anything? It's creeping me out although my credit card/paypal information is not there and my bank account remains intact!

EDIT: Also the games seem to be freebies, but still, sending a receipt is such a weird way of telling me I have a new free game.

Cable fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 5, 2014

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Nuramor posted:

So, any opinion on Damnation? It looks interesting, but I have been burned before.

Admittedly, I haven't played this since renting it when it came out, but I remember it being abysmal. Boring, janky, blank and just functional enough to not even be funny-bad.

Seeing it again actually makes me curious if it's as awful as I remember.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Nuramor posted:

I haven't played it myself, but the 41 Metacritic score should be telling. From what I recall it was based on an Unreal Engine 3 mod made by a small team who either got in way over their heads with the expanded version of the game or were screwed over by Codemasters, who made them rush it. Or maybe both.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lester Shy posted:

If all you do on your PC is play games and navigate the net then it's perfectly fine. However if you actually use various graphical software for work like me, it's a nightmare I don't wish upon anybody.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The final boss of Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is one of the most batshit crazy loving things I've ever seen, and I loved every second of it from the moment the US Senator storms out of the giant robot (that I just suplexed with its own arm) and assumes a sumo pose to tearing his oversized robot heart out of his chest while he happily encouraged me to take up the mantle of using global war to create a libertarian "utopia" :allears:

I hope they release the full Metal Gear series on PC, I never got to play anything past 2 and this game just left me wanting more.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
1 and 2 actually have pc ports.

The only one that might be tricky is 4. It's apparently in the same situation as red dead redemption where the code is so specialized it makes porting difficult.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Dawn of War 2 has shuffled off of GFWL to Steamworks, although LAN play, Referee Mode and pausing during multiplayer were apparently sacrificed in the transition.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mokinokaro posted:

1 and 2 actually have pc ports.

The only one that might be tricky is 4. It's apparently in the same situation as red dead redemption where the code is so specialized it makes porting difficult.

I thought 4 was more tricky because Sony paid about a billion dollars to have it be PS3 exclusive.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I hope they release the full Metal Gear series on PC, I never got to play anything past 2 and this game just left me wanting more.

The HD Collection really should turn up on Steam sooner or later right? It seems silly not to port it before Phantom Pain comes out.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The HD Collection really should turn up on Steam sooner or later right? It seems silly not to port it before Phantom Pain comes out.

Yeeeeeaaahhhhh nnnnooooooooooo.

Mgs v is likely being built in such a way that porting it will be easy. The older ones will likely require a lot more effort that they probably won't bother with. Then again, they do have the PC version of mgs2 you can play! :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

duckfarts posted:

Mgs v is likely being built in such a way that porting it will be easy.
Yeah, MGS5 uses Kojima Prod's FOX Engine, which was built with PCs in mind so they could get started on cross-gen and next-gen development early. I believe the Pro Evolution Soccer games on Steam use FOX, but they probably aren't quite as refined as a game by the engine's own developers will be.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

duckfarts posted:

Mgs v is likely being built in such a way that porting it will be easy. The older ones will likely require a lot more effort that they probably won't bother with. Then again, they do have the PC version of mgs2 you can play! :v:

I would assume that they made porting easier when they did the HD Collection, as it's out on the 360, PS3 and Vita. It's not like they needed to be on the bleeding edge of optimization either, which is what makes most porting suck.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'd be happy to at least get to replay 1 and 2 (never actually finished 1, got all the way through 2 but didn't understand the slightest bit of it) but it doesn't look like those pc versions are on Steam?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
I think you might be better off using a PS1/Gamecube/PS2 emulator for playing them, that's probably easier than trying to get the PC ports working properly.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Dawn of War 2 has shuffled off of GFWL to Steamworks, although LAN play, Referee Mode and pausing during multiplayer were apparently sacrificed in the transition.

Near the end of this games life, it took around 2 hours to fully patch, thanks to GFWLs wonderful "reenter your key/restart the game after every patch" system.

Now it's finally playable!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm pretty sure the HD versions won't come out on PC just like every other HD release on PS3/360. It's the way things are.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ymgve posted:

I thought 4 was more tricky because Sony paid about a billion dollars to have it be PS3 exclusive.

They can't even port it to the PS4, apparently. It's got too many tweaks to make it work on the PS3. Remember it was one of the first big titles of the system so there weren't too many set standards.

If there's any sort of MGS4 re-release I'd expect it to be a remake on the FOX engine.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Palpek posted:

I'm pretty sure the HD versions won't come out on PC just like every other HD release on PS3/360. It's the way things are.
Fable, several Resident Evil games, Assassin's Creed Liberation all got PC re-releases. Probably more that I can't think of too.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Didn't those games have regular PC versions eariler though? Assassin's Creed Liberation was also the only big game in the series that didn't come out on PC and came from a developer with a heavy pc presence. What I'm saying is that I don't really see a reason for MGS HD games to come out on the platform just because it's logical.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Resident Evil 4 got possibly the worst port ever made for the PC. I'm pretty sure they rebuilt it from the ground up with the newest one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Palpek posted:

Didn't those games have regular PC versions eariler though? Assassin's Creed Liberation was also the only big game in the series that didn't come out on PC and came from a developer with a heavy pc presence. What I'm saying is that I don't really see a reason for MGS HD games to come out on the platform just because it's logical.
Think so, but they were just the ones I could find / confirm quickly though. It's not like wasn't an XBox version of MGS3 or Peace Walker before the HD collection either.

I think it's more of a dev-specific thing than anything else.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Binding of Isaac Rebirth has been dated for November 4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aBb0M8HRCQ
This store page link will work sometime in the next few hours for pre-orders, with a loyalty discount for owners of the original game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/250900

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

The Kins posted:

Binding of Isaac Rebirth has been dated for November 4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aBb0M8HRCQ
This store page link will work sometime in the next few hours for pre-orders, with a loyalty discount for owners of the original game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/250900

Looks like that video is "private."

Wonder if the frame rates are still going to take a poo poo after 10 projectiles are on the screen.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Kinda wanted to play that for Halloween, guess it'll have to wait. I wonder how the base game can be improved, it's already very solid.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Malek posted:

Looks like that video is "private."

Wonder if the frame rates are still going to take a poo poo after 10 projectiles are on the screen.
It was originally unlisted. I guess they realized the jig was up...

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Malek posted:

Unlikely. It's running on its own engine now, rather than being hugely improvised Flash spaghetti code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

duckfarts posted:

…for very generous interpretations of “PC version”, “can”, and “play”.

• Locked thread