Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think Telescope was the best episode. Also I love animal pun jokes and I don't care who knows about it.

So do you think there are going to be a lot of rereviews between now and season 2 about how the show was much better than the first six episodes they sent out on screeners? The AV Club review especially had a lot of its concerns addressed well in the back half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Am I supposed to write back to Bojack and tell him "Hahaha! Can you explain the joke?"

Still stoked that the email address works.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Yes.

Oxyclean posted:

Someone already did this:

http://imgur.com/a/X8Ufz

Given how active the creators/marketing team/whoever has been on instagram and facebook, I wouldn't be surprised if this was being worked by an actual staffer.

Some stuff I found from the character designers and animators on tumblr (there are several of them semi-active on there): Some of the original character designs. Some doodles the animation team did whenever flash crashed.

And another. And another.

And the some of the official character design sheets.

Even the showrunner's on there, as I recall. I'll have to hunt down his url again.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

I think Telescope was the best episode. Also I love animal pun jokes and I don't care who knows about it.

So do you think there are going to be a lot of rereviews between now and season 2 about how the show was much better than the first six episodes they sent out on screeners? The AV Club review especially had a lot of its concerns addressed well in the back half.

I think that would require enough buzz to entice those critics to take another look, and I can't see that happening. We're all reasonably high on it in here, some liking it less than others, only a handful of posters outright disliking it. But I suspect we're part of a minority, and putting aside whatever whining I may have done in the OP it's not such a big injustice that this show isn't as appreciated as it is. Waiting an entire half a season for a comedy to get "good" is a really big ask, especially if you don't vibe with the show's sense of humor (and, as pointed out, you're extremely sensitive to oversold jokes, like the Andrew Garfield stuff in episode 3).

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Yeah, I'm just really happy it's getting a second season. Who in the hell five years ago would ever have thought the company that mails my parents DVDs would be a leader in video streaming and creating new shows out of whole cloth! I always hear entertainers complain that back in the day, networks would give shows a chance to develop and find their audience. Now, however, you see shows getting cancelled after 6 episodes. The fact that BoJack is getting a chance to run(trot?) for awhile and find an audience is really great, I can't wait to see what they do with it. Maybe reviewers will vibe with the second season and shine some light on it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's my day off so I'm watching this, and, uh, I've really enjoyed it so far.

If it gets even better in the second half, I might get withdrawal afterwards.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Propaganda Machine posted:

It's my day off so I'm watching this, and, uh, I've really enjoyed it so far.

If it gets even better in the second half, I might get withdrawal afterwards.

You definitely will. It gets the tone down perfectly in the last two episodes.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The satire of the Hollywood "biz" is really good, tho I dunno how amusing it would be or well it would resonate if you haven't lived in LA or don't follow celebrity pop culture a lot?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Oh hey, here's a stupid I-live-in-LA question:

You know how BoJack's house is perched on the side of a hill/cliff, and has a perfect view of the Hollywood sign in the background?

This seems physically impossible.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You know how BoJack's house is perched on the side of a hill/cliff, and has a perfect view of the Hollywood sign in the background?

Also there are birdmen who are actually employed. Everyone knows that birdmen are lazy no good nicks that leach off (no offense to leachmen) society's good graces.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

opps.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
And what's with the talking horse? That seems unrealistic to me.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Not to derail too much, but yeah it looks to me like a mirrored view from the Hollywood Hills. There are definitely some houses up there that probably have views of the sign, you can get angles like that from up in Griffith Park. It looks like Downtown in the background and if so that's a physically impossible angle, yeah.

I mean, most of the characters are animals and a lot of the jokes involve their animal-ness. I think it does the Hollywood stereotypes and satire pretty well, and you get some really pithy existential LA ennui in the later episodes.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Haha yeah and Keith Olbermann is a humpback whale that fits behind a standard news desk. It's pretty funny that the geography is what's getting to me.

Downtown in the background was also a whaaaa. I reasoned that it could be Beverly Hills. But it's probably downtown.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Haha yeah and Keith Olbermann is a humpback whale that fits behind a standard news desk. It's pretty funny that the geography is what's getting to me.

Don't forget that BoJack is the size of a normal human but is also 1200 lbs. End of the day, it's all cartoon logic; coolness and/or comedy supersede reality.

Not that I mean to come off as judgmental. I've been there. Just...can't help pointing that out, I guess.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
After watching the series, I'm still not sure why Todd is a character, but I am glad he is. Aaron Paul was great.

(seriously though, I don't know why he needed a roommate. Was it a rent thing?)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

After watching the series, I'm still not sure why Todd is a character, but I am glad he is. Aaron Paul was great.

(seriously though, I don't know why he needed a roommate. Was it a rent thing?)

He is afraid of being alone, which may have been a central theme.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
According to him, Todd showed up for a party once about five years ago and just never left.

I can relate. My best friend came over in the middle of the day once and stayed for the next 8 months.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

According to him, Todd showed up for a party once about five years ago and just never left.

I can relate. My best friend came over in the middle of the day once and stayed for the next 8 months.

Isn't this the stereotype about some people in Hollywood? Kato Kaelin was the most famous dude of this type, I believe.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

zoux posted:

He is afraid of being alone, which may have been a central theme.

Right but I was wondering how

I guess I missed that. Thanks. :3:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

DivisionPost posted:

I think that would require enough buzz to entice those critics to take another look, and I can't see that happening.

Hi, foot! Make yourself comfortable in my mouth!

Alan Sepinwall (AH, QUIT YOUR BITCHING) posted:

Given how the world of the show seems designed, like certain Adult Swim comedies, to be best appreciated while stoned, it's amazing how three-dimensional the characters become, and how poignant so much of the season's second half is, even while it's packed with absurd gags. (My favorite involves Vincent Adultman, a character whom only BoJack seems to realize is actually three little boys standing on each other's shoulders while wearing a trench coat, "Little Rascals"-style.)

The first page focuses on You're the Worst, if you're interested.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

Don't forget that BoJack is the size of a normal human but is also 1200 lbs. End of the day, it's all cartoon logic; coolness and/or comedy supersede reality.

Not that I mean to come off as judgmental. I've been there. Just...can't help pointing that out, I guess.

Also, Mister Peanutbutter is really tall. Like Todd's hat is even with his V-neck. I thought he was some kind of retriever, but he's tall like a great dane or something!

My immersion.

Seriously, he was really menacing in the back alley with Todd.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I keep getting that stupid Jellicles song stuck in my head :negative:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

zoux posted:

When you're walking alone?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Mahoning posted:

When you're walking alone?

How in the hell did that ever last so long with poo poo songs like that?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Welcome to the 80s.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

LeJackal posted:

How in the hell did that ever last so long with poo poo songs like that?

The 80's and 90's kind of sucked on Broadway. It didn't have a ton of competition for its first few years and then there was still plenty of room for a show about cats prancing around when Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera, two relatively darker shows, dominated Broadway. Shows didn't start getting a lot better until the late 90's-early 00's which is right when Cats ended its run.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI3EEdU9zvc

I don't know guys; that seems pretty good to me.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I wound up finding myself heavily on the side of the cancer victim (Howard Kaz? Terrible with names) and feeling his reaction was the most sympathetic. A significant element of sincerely asking forgiveness is a readiness to be completely rejected; BJ completely failed. He was kind enough to invite him in to show he didn't hold a grudge but to say "gee golly took a lot of spine long time ago bygones be bygones"? Go gently caress yourself.

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 5, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Herb Kazzaz. And yeah, Bojack doesn't come off well in that relationship.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

After browsing youtube I have concluded that Cats is even more embarrassing than I originally thought it was.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I was expecting some dime a dozen failed Adult Swim/FOX Sunday Night stuff, but I was wrong. This show is far better than it should be.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Mahoning posted:

The 80's and 90's kind of sucked on Broadway. It didn't have a ton of competition for its first few years and then there was still plenty of room for a show about cats prancing around when Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera, two relatively darker shows, dominated Broadway. Shows didn't start getting a lot better until the late 90's-early 00's which is right when Cats ended its run.

How quickly you forget Rent :smith:

Anyway I just watched Downer Ending and as a rural New Englander who has done...stuff...and made the questionable life choice of coming out to LA, it really hit home. It's an amazing episode of television, and I will not hear otherwise.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
I have to wonder what that line in the end episode meant; from the Secretariat director, 'You have to lose fifty pounds and gain 20'. Does that mean he has to lose 50 pounds of fat and then put on 20 worth of muscle?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You really don't have to spoil that. It either means that, or he needs to lose 50 and then put on 20 for later on in his life. Probably the muscle thing though.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

You really don't have to spoil that. It either means that, or he needs to lose 50 and then put on 20 for later on in his life. Probably the muscle thing though.

I err on the side of spoilers because I've been burned before.

I really hope something positive comes of this for BoJack. Sure he can be a super rear end in a top hat sometimes, but nobody is 100% a dick, right? He's a very sympathetic horse. Man. Horse-man. Man-horse.

I'm not sure of the proportions.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's the muscle thing.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

LeJackal posted:

I err on the side of spoilers because I've been burned before.

I really hope something positive comes of this for BoJack. Sure he can be a super rear end in a top hat sometimes, but nobody is 100% a dick, right? He's a very sympathetic horse. Man. Horse-man. Man-horse.

I'm not sure of the proportions.

I'm not sure if he's more man than horse, or if he's more horse than man.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That end credits song is catchy as poo poo. Back in the 90s, I was on a very famous tttttttv showwww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

PostNouveau posted:

That end credits song is catchy as poo poo. Back in the 90s, I was on a very famous tttttttv showwww

This is the only show ever where I have consistently watched the title/credits sequences. They were both extremely well done.