Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Does anyone have experience in human cloning, DNA replication, etc? I've got a new sys admin on my team, he's been here probably 3 months. I wish I could plant a whole field of him.

I'm thinking of holding a team meeting in which I scream "why aren't you Aaron" in everyone's face in turn.
DNA replication is a naturally-occurring process. It happens in all living things, in fact. To accomplish your specific objective, I think you just want to complete the breeding pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Complete the breeding pair - are you hitting on me?

That said, you are right, way to replicate, DNA.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 5, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
e: double post.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Does anyone have experience in human cloning, DNA replication, etc? I've got a new sys admin on my team, he's been here probably 3 months. I wish I could plant a whole field of him.

I'm thinking of holding a team meeting in which I scream "why aren't you Aaron" in everyone's face in turn.

I have an identical twin, so +1 on cloning. Sadly, skill transfer through gene expression isn't 1:1. Ace DBA. No sysadmin or Linux skills, and visa versa

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

evol262 posted:

I have an identical twin, so +1 on cloning. Sadly, skill transfer through gene expression isn't 1:1. Ace DBA. No sysadmin or Linux skills, and visa versa

What I'm getting here is that you have a literal evil twin.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ok, its official. My company has been bought out. This has never happened to me before. I got the whole speech of "we want to expand, we want to be a great company to work for" etc etc.

I'm fairly sure i'm safe, i've recently been moved the the team that is pushing our new product, which is the product the company that bought us wants to expand. They want to open up US offices and spread our product over there too. I'm just wondering if any of the UK guys have noticed any massive culture changes with foreign buyouts, anything I should be worried about?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

MrMoo posted:

Welcome to the domain of "Solutions Architect", it is a very difficult position requiring a lot of knowledge to perform well and you are generally fighting against everyone to do anything whilst also layered in bureaucracy and meetings. It is the jack-of-all-trades master-of-none show piece position.

NippleFloss posted:

Pre-Sales: Meet with the customer, discuss their needs and requirements, propose hardware/software purchases that will help them meet those requirements, come up with plan to implement the stuff you've just sold.

Post-Sales: Actually implement that plan.

So I'm a post sales consultant right now and my company hired a bunch of "solution architects" who really have made my life far more miserable instead of helping me out.

What's a solution architect supposed to be responsible for? I mean other than having an absurdly full calendar, and when I do get them in a meeting, they fumble and stumble in front of the client.

Also NippleFloss, I'd like to hear more about NetApp, mind if I contact you over pm?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Drunk Orc posted:

I just want to say thanks to a couple of people in this thread, namely Fiendish Dr. Wu, for giving me the confidence to finally chase a spot in IT. I've been in touch with a couple different places and things are looking pretty promising, I hope to switch jobs by the end of the year!

Right on man :cheers:

If you need any input on offers, even if it's just a "should I consider this offer or am I getting hosed?", let us know! Don't feel pressured into taking the first offer you get unless it's really what you want. You'll do fine.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

air- posted:

What's a solution architect supposed to be responsible for?

It's typically everything but development: some project management, systems analysis and more often business analysis, design architect of said systems, system and integration testing, performance testing, conformance testing, documentation, training, monitoring, and support. I'm a developer-architect so I usually get to pick pieces to work on myself and go super indulgent on random technology of the day.

My calendar has been empty for months though. I see more pre-sales work in the last year as nothing gets signed, recently it's more of a demotion to web-dev and that gets tiresome quick as it is monkey patching an undocumented horrendous Wordpress on Azure install on someones freebie MSDN subscription account.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 5, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

air- posted:

What's a solution architect supposed to be responsible for?

Summing this up as simply as possible based on my crash-course experience in working in an architecture team: The architects are primarily responsible for designing the roadmap of a company's technology capabilities.

When a new technology is requested, the architect designs the beta to conform to company standards and then hands it off to the developer who will then put it into the production environment. As a part of designing the alphas and betas, the architect performs all testing, validation, and documentation.

In the company where I work, we are a global fortune 500 company with revenue in the billions. We have plants in every continent with thousands of sites. There is no technology consistency. In the past, when a technology was required, the IT people at the site just made it happen. It is a huge mess with millions of dollars in contract overlaps and overwhelming complexity. The architecture team I work in is working on creating a technology reference model for a unified solution across the board.

Also, meetings. Lots of meetings. (In fact, I'm in a meeting right now!)

I'm sure it varies from company to company, but that's what we do where I work.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

dogstile posted:

I'm fairly sure i'm safe, i've recently been moved the the team that is pushing our new product, which is the product the company that bought us wants to expand. They want to open up US offices and spread our product over there too. I'm just wondering if any of the UK guys have noticed any massive culture changes with foreign buyouts, anything I should be worried about?

The company in the UK I work for was bought out by an Indian company but we were put under the umbrella of the US subsidiary (themselves having been bought up by the Indians). We got the whole spiel about how things were gonna change and we'd be working harder to match the US ethos, but in pretty much the next breath they ended up give us relatively big pay rises to stop the talent leaving.

To an extent UK and EU law will protect you (learn to love the EU Working Time Directive if you don't already) from being forced to endure some of the lovely practices that are prevalent in the US, but depending on their exact culture you may end up working harder with less resources, for example. But really it depends on the company doing the buyout, and how they intend to operate.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Pantology posted:

This is accurate, but do note that often Pre-Sales' plan is a PowerPoint slide with a single bullet reading "Post-Sales Will Figure it Out."

Well, part of the appeal of the new position is that I will be doing both pre and post sales, so I won't have to worry about the all too common problem of pre-sales making impossible promises and post-sales getting blamed for failing to deliver them. There's a certain logic to being forced to eat your own dog food. A lot of companies, tend to split the two roles because it's tough to find people who have the soft skills required to handle the sales side of pre-sales and also the solid technical skills to do post-sales. It's much easier to just hire two different people with two different skill sets.

skipdogg posted:

drat Nips, you're going to leave NetApp? Isn't that one of the best places to work in the country? Pre/Post sales can be fun I guess, I would get tired of the meetings and power points though.

Like I said, NetApp has been really great, it was just time for a change. The new company is a NetApp partner (along with Nimble, Tintri, VMware, Cisco, Comvault, and a bunch of other crap I'll get to play with more now) though, so I'll still be doing a fair amount of NetApp work. I also like the customer facing stuff, so I don't mind the meetings and powerpoints and demos and all that. I'll also get to teach and probably develop some training curriculum, which will be different and could be fun. Mostly the variety of the new gig appeals to me. Things can get a little stale working for a vendor.

air- posted:

So I'm a post sales consultant right now and my company hired a bunch of "solution architects" who really have made my life far more miserable instead of helping me out.

What's a solution architect supposed to be responsible for? I mean other than having an absurdly full calendar, and when I do get them in a meeting, they fumble and stumble in front of the client.

Also NippleFloss, I'd like to hear more about NetApp, mind if I contact you over pm?

Like so many other job titles in IT, Solutions Architect can mean a lot of different things. My title at the new company is actually Solutions Architect, but it's really just consulting. I've seen Solutions Architect used as a title for a variety of different roles (some slightly different, some very), but generally they're the big idea person. They come up with the overall framework for how some IT problem is going to be solved. They might do the high level design of a new data center, or they might map out the relationships and dependencies between different parts of a new application coming online, or they might be in charge of determining how you will orchestrate your cloud resident data-center, or how you would deploy the different pieces of a sharepoint farm and how they fit together...they sit down with the customer and do the overall design, but someone else generally manages the technical details and deployment. But like most IT titles, it's very fluid.

And yes, feel free to PM me about NetApp.

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

NippleFloss posted:

Well, part of the appeal of the new position is that I will be doing both pre and post sales, so I won't have to worry about the all too common problem of pre-sales making impossible promises and post-sales getting blamed for failing to deliver them. There's a certain logic to being forced to eat your own dog food. A lot of companies, tend to split the two roles because it's tough to find people who have the soft skills required to handle the sales side of pre-sales and also the solid technical skills to do post-sales. It's much easier to just hire two different people with two different skill sets.

I greatly prefer that model. Someday...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Does anyone work with any document imaging products? Square 9, iDatix, FileBound...

Holy hell, I need a new job :smithicide:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tab8715 posted:

Does anyone work with any document imaging products? Square 9, iDatix, FileBound...

Avoid this at all costs.

http://www.imagemaster.org/

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Tab8715 posted:

We use Kofax and EMC ApplicationXtender.

They're okay, I guess.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

NippleFloss posted:

I'm sure it can vary, but does a pre-sales engineer typically work on a commission basis like "normal" sales? Or are you getting paid the same amount whether or not the deal gets closed?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Docjowles posted:

I'm sure it can vary, but does a pre-sales engineer typically work on a commission basis like "normal" sales? Or are you getting paid the same amount whether or not the deal gets closed?

If it's a pure pre-sales role it's almost always commission based in my experience.

Pantology posted:

I greatly prefer that model. Someday...

Agreed. Have been in post-sales for the past 3 years, having to take the blame for and then try to fix someone else's mistake is deeply frustrating. At least if I screw up the pre-sales part I know I've earned the abuse.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

TWBalls posted:

I've only been here about 4, soon to be 5 years and we've been through 4 directors (5 if you count my co-worker being the interim). This is ridiculous.

From a few pages back, this made me stop and do some math. In my first 9 years with my company I had 1 boss, in the past 5 years I've had 4 bosses. Maybe a 5th, if things happen this coming year.
Not because anyone leaves but because we are re-org happy here. Seems like the VPs get paid bonuses for shuffling around the org chart.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
So I was supposed to have a phone interview with the IS manager of a software company in town today for a desktop support tech position at 1:30 and it is now nearly 2:15 with no call yet. What's the proper way to handle this situation?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Drunk Orc posted:

So I was supposed to have a phone interview with the IS manager of a software company in town today for a desktop support tech position at 1:30 and it is now nearly 2:15 with no call yet. What's the proper way to handle this situation?

Call them and ask what is up.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cenodoxus posted:

We use Kofax and EMC ApplicationXtender.

They're okay, I guess.

My problem is the training and general documentation is atrocious.

To make matter worse sales told my supervisor that'd it'd be easily to implement after I got :airquote:certified:airquote: through their training which mostly consisted of the instructor going back and forth between development trying to figure out why we couldn't the program to work on anyone's laptop and half the class bitching about Obamacare.

I was surprised the training was only a few days and I asked the instructor how on earth we were expected to be able install with so little instruction. He flat up told me it's geared towards 1st level support and only in-house techs implement the product due to the complexity.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I've been corresponding with this guy through email so I sent one asking if something came up and he needs to reschedule. I'd call but I don't have his number. 😥 Hoping he gets back to me today sometime!

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Drunk Orc posted:

If you have a recruiter, I would have called him/her at 5-10 min after. Otherwise, I would have called the company about 1:45.

Edit: ok, email ASAP!

Bonus word track:

Hi Mr. Lateguy,

I believe we had a call scheduled for 1:30 today and I have not received a call as of yet. I wanted to make sure I had not missed your call or given you the incorrect number. If you can talk today, I am available until xx:xx at [phone number]. If not, I am happy to reschedule at your convenience.

Regards,

Or something like this that shows humility and that you're willing to accept some responsibility even if it wasn't your fault.

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 5, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Drunk Orc posted:

Inspector_666 posted:

When this happened to me I called and asked if they would just like to reschedule for a time more convenient for them, and we ended up doing the interview over the phone right then and there. Worked out well and got the offer.

Just keep it professional.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have a protip for all of you: don't let your users/clients/whatever run ColdFusion :(

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

When this happened to me I called and asked if they would just like to reschedule for a time more convenient for them, and we ended up doing the interview over the phone right then and there. Worked out well and got the offer.

Just keep it professional.

Yeah I'm not really sweating it either way. I'm just applying to other spots on Dice and Indeed in the meantime and sending my resume out to some recruiters :unsmith:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Drunk Orc posted:

Yeah I'm not really sweating it either way. I'm just applying to other spots on Dice and Indeed in the meantime and sending my resume out to some recruiters :unsmith:

Sucks it happened but keep it up.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

My old company was bought out a little over a year ago (both companies were US based so no foreign aspect to this one). Ours went pretty smoothly, but there's a period of adjustment no matter what, and depending on the relative sizes of the companies and their organizational cultures there can be an us vs. them mentality for some time to come. My honest advice is to get your resume in order, because even if you want to stick around for a while, eventually something will give and make you want to get out of Dodge. Having everything in order in advance can make that go a lot smoother. Then again, I know you're already trying to do that, so I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know.

NippleFloss posted:

If it's a pure pre-sales role it's almost always commission based in my experience.

I've always worked post-sales personally, but I know that our pre-sales guys all get paid base with no commission. This is the actual engineers, mind--the sales rep himself most definitely works on commission.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have a protip for all of you: don't let your users/clients/whatever run ColdFusion :(

Having supported a variety of CF apps in the past, I Am Down With This Post. It's like a singularity of terrible technologies, collapsing on itself into a black hole of suck. Adobe, Java, XML, ODBC... :smithicide:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
at $job-1 the sales engineers had a salary with 80-90% of it guaranteed, and the remainder based on department sales numbers, rather than the sales numbers of projects you specifically worked on. If the department hit target, you made 100% of your salary. They also had an "accelerator" where if the department beat their goal you got 1.5x for the overage for the month. They also got paid a lot of money considering that most of them knew fuckall. Not a bad deal though - realistically even in a poo poo month the business unit would do 90% of their goal, so at worst you're taking home 98% of what you expected to, or whatever.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
My first job out of college was at a small start-up with 5 people, and we weren't paid overtime, but rather compensated with 5% commission on every job we did for a client. This was a regular, full-time job for me. We billed about $110 an hour, so I was see like an extra $5/hr. However, that was for jobs at clients were we had to bill them, this did not count for internal work (say for example, building a new ticketing system or setting up a network printer in our office). I was easily working 60 hours a week and honestly was too young/stupid to investigate if any of this was wrong and if I was not receiving a fair wage. Now that I think back...it sounds sketchy to me.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Anyone in the Indianapolis area in this thread? If so, what recruiting firms do you use or recommend? I've put my resume in at Brooksource and Belcan, not sure of other decent ones in the area.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Tailored Sauce posted:

My first job out of college was at a small start-up with 5 people, and we weren't paid overtime, but rather compensated with 5% commission on every job we did for a client. This was a regular, full-time job for me. We billed about $110 an hour, so I was see like an extra $5/hr. However, that was for jobs at clients were we had to bill them, this did not count for internal work (say for example, building a new ticketing system or setting up a network printer in our office). I was easily working 60 hours a week and honestly was too young/stupid to investigate if any of this was wrong and if I was not receiving a fair wage. Now that I think back...it sounds sketchy to me.

It could depend on how much you made. Positions above ~$25/hr salary equivalent in computer technology are exempt from overtime laws in the USA.

src: http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/screen75.asp

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
The link you posted says:

"Section 13(a)(17) of the FLSA provides that certain computer professionals paid at least $27.63 per hour are exempt from the overtime provisions of the FLSA."

Does that mean that my company can stop paying me overtime now that I got a raise up to $30/hr?

Or will they probably not notice that if I don't mention it? Or is an IT guy / systems engineer not the "certain computer professional" they're referring to?

Edit: I read the section and it sounds like it's pretty specifically referring to programmers, which I'm not.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 6, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Computer Employee Exemption

The employee must be employed as a computer systems analyst, computer programmer, software engineer or other similarly skilled worker in the computer field performing the duties described below;

The employee’s primary duty must consist of:
The application of systems analysis techniques and procedures, including consulting with users, to determine hardware, software or system functional specifications;
The design, development, documentation, analysis, creation, testing or modification of computer systems or programs, including prototypes, based on and related to user or system design specifications;
The design, documentation, testing, creation or modification of computer programs related to machine operating systems; or
A combination of the aforementioned duties, the performance of which requires the same level of skills.

As a new sysadmin I only file for overtime if the work really sucks, and it's only a been a few times a year. I figured it's easier turning that work into a raise if you're known as a person who doesn't file for OT (which has been true so far for me :o:)

e: I usually only work 40-45 hours/week

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 6, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
That's just the federal law too. states can set that bar higher, just not lower.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zero VGS posted:

Does that mean that my company can stop paying me overtime now that I got a raise up to $30/hr?

Just keep putting in for overtime. If they keep paying it, you don't have to worry about anything else. No need to borrow trouble.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Roargasm posted:

It could depend on how much you made. Positions above ~$25/hr salary equivalent in computer technology are exempt from overtime laws in the USA.

src: http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/screen75.asp

in CA its $40.38 http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/LC515-5.pdf I'm not sure how many other states have higher requirements.

You should file for overtime for the time you have worked. It's not that big of a deal to the company in terms of $$, and any future raise negotiation is not going to affected by this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Che Delilas posted:

Just keep putting in for overtime. If they keep paying it, you don't have to worry about anything else. No need to borrow trouble.

Cool, I'll do that. I'm on site working overtime right now because corporate sent us a domain controller that they refuse to give us remote or local login permissions to, they just totally black boxed it. So no one could access the domain today and the official corporate solution from their on-call sysadmin was for me to drive in and hold the Proliant's power button down for five seconds.