Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Sonnen's right re: the stance, but you have to recall that he's largely talking about Americans, all of whom will have extensive folkstyle experience - I would agree that for guys with extensive folkstyle experience being good at greco is better than being good at freestyle, but being good at folkstyle is much more important than either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Bundt Cake posted:

Sonnen linked to shady investment plan

Hahahaha, yes

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
What's the crocop pushing people thing about? I'm a huge crocop fan but for the life of me I can't figure out what's being referenced.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Dangersim posted:

What's the crocop pushing people thing about? I'm a huge crocop fan but for the life of me I can't figure out what's being referenced.

the schoolyard shove he used to constantly do to try and reset range for his kick. except he got progressively worse and worse at landing or even throwing the kick so a large part of his output was just shoving his opponent completely ineffectually.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the schoolyard shove he used to constantly do to try and reset range for his kick. except he got progressively worse and worse at landing or even throwing the kick so a large part of his output was just shoving his opponent completely ineffectually.

That's actually what I thought it might be I thought it might be to obscure, which is a silly thing to think here.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
the schoolyard shove is now completely illegal in boxing but for an excellent example of it being used watch foreman frazier I. joe frazier was incredibly tough, had good movement, good power and was one of the best in-fighters imaginable. he needed to get inside to work, and foreman need to keep him at range so he could land his big shots. instead of trying to keep him at range with jabs (which was an incredibly difficult task against frazier) foreman just kept shoving him back. it was very brief and one of the most violent fights i ever seen.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Foreman/Frazier is also notable because, although there are obviously many times in history where an undisputed, undefeated champion gets defeated, there aren't all that many where they get absolutely loving murdered.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
it was the greatest fighter of all times at the peak of his capabilities getting steamrolled by the meat man

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
and that lead directly into the insanity that was ali/foreman, where ali's strategy was to let the meat man who hits like a comet pummel him until he got tuckered out, which worked great somehow.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

fatherdog posted:

Foreman/Frazier is also notable because, although there are obviously many times in history where an undisputed, undefeated champion gets defeated, there aren't all that many where they get absolutely loving murdered.

That fight is so uncomfortable to watch when you know how hosed up Joe Frazier was later in life.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
George Foreman was really good at giving the greatest fighters of all time horrible brain damage.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

david carmichael posted:

and that lead directly into the insanity that was ali/foreman, where ali's strategy was to let the meat man who hits like a comet pummel him until he got tuckered out, which worked great somehow.

the footage of foreman hitting the heavy bag training for that fight is loving terrifying

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
we should do some kind of group watch of a bunch of that trio's fights sometime. really compelling stuff on a lot of levels.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the footage of foreman hitting the heavy bag training for that fight is loving terrifying

He hits Frazier so hard at the end he lifts off his feet :staredog:

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

david carmichael posted:

we should do some kind of group watch of a bunch of that trio's fights sometime. really compelling stuff on a lot of levels.

I'd love that. I love watching historic fights but I miss a lot of the behind the scenes stuff.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

david carmichael posted:

This is a cool idea and I would totally be down for it

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Silva/weidman 1 was pretty much a big Ali tribute, right down to getting dropped with a left hook.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

This is a cool idea and I would totally be down for it

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
Well, we have the means to do it via psp-tv and we've talked about streaming old fights of every kind before, the issue is that last time we tried it there were like 2 people

The wrasslin' people like make a night of it with Tuesday Night Nitro or w/e

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Yuriy posted:

Well, we have the means to do it via psp-tv and we've talked about streaming old fights of every kind before, the issue is that last time we tried it there were like 2 people

The wrasslin' people like make a night of it with Tuesday Night Nitro or w/e

Post a reminder about it in here and another relevant thread or two and I'll for sure watch that. I vote Thursdays.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I would love to watch more boxing with people who know poo poo about boxing

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Any recommendations for good old-school boxing fights to watch? I don't know poo poo about boxing.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Most people don't know poo poo about boxing.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Notably including commentators, referees and judges

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

attackmole posted:

Any recommendations for good old-school boxing fights to watch? I don't know poo poo about boxing.

Ali Frazier 1 is a great place to start.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

attackmole posted:

The Gatti/Ward trilogy will always be my favourite.

Paquiao/Marquez had four really good fights and you should watch them in order to get the full payoff and learn about timing. Foreman/Moorer was really cool at the time but might not be as exciting now without the context. It's a fight about patience. If you want to look at creative entries to get into hooking range watch Tyson or Patterson.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Watch Duran/Leonard 1, then Duran/Hearns, then Hearns/Hagler, then Hagler Leonard.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Watch Duran/Leonard 1, then Duran/Hearns, then Hearns/Hagler, then Hagler Leonard.

Duran/Hearns has the loudest punch ever, and just reading Hagler/leonard makes me angry.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
On a slight tangent, Unforgivable Blackness is a real good Ken Burns documentary about Jack Johnson. Johnson is a fascinating character, also very interesting just from a technical fighting perspective. It also gives a good impression of how important boxing was socially back in the day.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If no one else steps up I can run the night, I just need to know what fights. My first thought would be to run say the Ali/Frazier fights, but the Frazier/Foreman fights might be better to start with for all I know. I've been wanting to watch old fights with knowledgeable people ever since I watched When We Were Kings (which happens to be on youtube too.)

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

EvanSchenck posted:

On a slight tangent, Unforgivable Blackness is a real good Ken Burns documentary about Jack Johnson. Johnson is a fascinating character, also very interesting just from a technical fighting perspective. It also gives a good impression of how important boxing was socially back in the day.

i would recommend the book also

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

If no one else steps up I can run the night, I just need to know what fights. My first thought would be to run say the Ali/Frazier fights, but the Frazier/Foreman fights might be better to start with for all I know. I've been wanting to watch old fights with knowledgeable people ever since I watched When We Were Kings (which happens to be on youtube too.)

Just do it chronologically.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fatherdog posted:

hagler/leondard is the greatest robbery of all time in that it robber us of hagler, because after that terrible decision he was just like "well that's enough of this" and went to italy

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

do the trio's fights chronologically.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
So Floyd being called out by 50 to read Harry Potter. I feel like PSP has to have talked about this. Where is it so I can get some facts?

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Herr Tog posted:

So Floyd being called out by 50 to read Harry Potter. I feel like PSP has to have talked about this. Where is it so I can get some facts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vskxj22-1c&t=69s

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Herr Tog posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3641277

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
was it fatherdog or someone else who scored hagler/leonard for leonard? reveal yourself and atone for your sins

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Not me, I constantly bitch about the judges getting that wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

It makes me mad because you can see leanard actively trying to trick the judges and it worked.