Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Any recommendations for a dutch oven? I thinking of going enamel (for obvious reasons) but not sure on what size.

This is the dutch oven I use for various breads and it has worked very well. I'm not sure why you said enamel is the "obvious" choice - especially because the enamel coating can become damaged after heading the dutch oven dry and empty multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012

NightConqueror posted:

This is the dutch oven I use for various breads and it has worked very well. I'm not sure why you said enamel is the "obvious" choice - especially because the enamel coating can become damaged after heading the dutch oven dry and empty multiple times.

That came from reading several recipes on several sites that all recommended using the enamel one due to the bread not sticking as much.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

UnhealthyJoe posted:

That came from reading several recipes on several sites that all recommended using the enamel one due to the bread not sticking as much.

just oil it down and it should be fine. I cook pizza on my cast iron and never have problems with it sticking.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I use a lodge dutch oven but if I didn't already have it I'd get a lodge combo cooker as it makes it much easier to load (no carefully lowering a loaf into a red hot iron vessel). I use parchment paper and I haven't had anything stick. Enameled are very pretty but a bit pricier. If you go that route find one with a non plastic handle as it will melt at bread temps.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

NightConqueror posted:

I also use this dutch oven and having done nothing to it, I have no problems with the bread sticking. I have decided however that like the user above, I prefer to use parchment paper because it just makes clean up that much easier. The crust comes out kind of thick though and I found that I like using a pizza stone with a pan of hot water instead. It makes the crust softer and more chewy.

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012

Nibblet posted:

I also use this dutch oven and having done nothing to it, I have no problems with the bread sticking. I have decided however that like the user above, I prefer to use parchment paper because it just makes clean up that much easier. The crust comes out kind of thick though and I found that I like using a pizza stone with a pan of hot water instead. It makes the crust softer and more chewy.

What I am looking for is to make a bread with a crust like a french bread, crisp but not too think with a bread with a great texture in the middle. I have tried to it with a pizza stone but I am thinking my dough was too dry. Thought maybe the dutch oven would keep some more moisture in the "cooking" area so the bread would crisp up and hopefully be better.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

I would definitely go the "pizza stone w/pan of hot water" route for a softer, chewier crust. But I also found that the hydration of the dough makes a big difference. The wetter my dough is going into the oven (almost always set at 450F), the softer the crust. I just tried a sourdough recipe and the dough was fairly dry. The top crust came out really thick and tough. But then again, it could just be me because I'm still fairly new at the whole bread making thing. I'm sure there are lots of tricks to getting a crispy yet soft french baguette texture.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

UnhealthyJoe posted:

What I am looking for is to make a bread with a crust like a french bread, crisp but not too think with a bread with a great texture in the middle. I have tried to it with a pizza stone but I am thinking my dough was too dry. Thought maybe the dutch oven would keep some more moisture in the "cooking" area so the bread would crisp up and hopefully be better.

Have you tried putting a bowl with water in the oven when you preheat it? I always do this and it works well. I also "wipe" the loaf with a brush with cold water before putting it in the oven...

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012
I actually just finished my first no knead loaf... did it on the pizza stone with a pan that i threw a punch of ice chips in at the start... and frankly I am blown away. I did not get it into a nice circle but more of an oval... bake 40 minutes and the crust is chewy and the middle is spongy. Amazing.

I also made some Vichyssoise to go with it using homegrown potatos/leeks/thyme and stock I had made before... one of the best dinners i've made in ages.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Just baked this loaf but didn't bake it long enough. It was good and chewy but the bottom towards the middle of the loaf was like a thick crust of raw dough. Yuck!

Any tips on how I can keep the top from browning too much while I wait for the bottom to firm up?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

To high heat from beneath, too short proofing, too wet dough.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

Nibblet posted:

Any tips on how I can keep the top from browning too much while I wait for the bottom to firm up?

Simplest method without changing anything else: Flip the bread in the oven! To me this bread looks over-proofed.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

This was the last bit of my Artisan 5-minute a Day bread dough, so it had been sitting in my fridge for about 2 weeks. I'll admit the dough was very wet (but watching videos, it's suppose to be pretty sticky?) and I had my oven set to 450F. I don't have an oven thermometer so I don't know how true the oven runs. It was sitting on the counter for about 2 hours and then I moved it to a pizza stone that had been pre-heating in the oven.

I don't think it over-proofed because it barely doubled in size from sitting on the counter. I would agree it was probably too wet and if I flipped it, it would have ruined the beautiful top crust. :( All my other breads turned out great, cooked all the way through so I think I just rushed this one too much. Would covering the loaf in aluminum foil for the last 10 minutes or so make it turn out weird?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Nibblet posted:

This was the last bit of my Artisan 5-minute a Day bread dough, so it had been sitting in my fridge for about 2 weeks. I'll admit the dough was very wet (but watching videos, it's suppose to be pretty sticky?) and I had my oven set to 450F. I don't have an oven thermometer so I don't know how true the oven runs. It was sitting on the counter for about 2 hours and then I moved it to a pizza stone that had been pre-heating in the oven.

I don't think it over-proofed because it barely doubled in size from sitting on the counter. I would agree it was probably too wet and if I flipped it, it would have ruined the beautiful top crust. :( All my other breads turned out great, cooked all the way through so I think I just rushed this one too much. Would covering the loaf in aluminum foil for the last 10 minutes or so make it turn out weird?

I thought a dense bottom was under-proofing.

It may be that it didn't proof enough because after two weeks the yeast was tired.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I've been making the same simple bread for some time now and I'd like something else.
Could anyone recommend something? Also can someone post the no knead recipe I'd like to try this one.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Le0 posted:

Also can someone post the no knead recipe I'd like to try this one.

the link is in the OP
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460932

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Le0 posted:

I've been making the same simple bread for some time now and I'd like something else.
Could anyone recommend something? Also can someone post the no knead recipe I'd like to try this one.

I like using the no-knead as a base and then playing with it: different flours (spelt, rye, wholemeal etc) seeds (sesame, pumpkin, sunflower), oils, treacle, etc.

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012

therattle posted:

I like using the no-knead as a base and then playing with it: different flours (spelt, rye, wholemeal etc) seeds (sesame, pumpkin, sunflower), oils, treacle, etc.

Did you have to change the recipe much when you used wholemeal / seeds? I want to try to do this.

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

Le0 posted:

If you have a sheet pan with raised edges, give focaccia a try.

Poolish Focaccia
Poolish:
141 g Water
141 g Bread Flour
Pinch Dry Yeast

Final Dough:
282 g Poolish
85 g Water
42 g Olive Oil
1 1/4 t Dry Yeast
7 g Salt
170 g Bead Flour

Mix the poolish 12 hours before making the final dough.
Using a stand mixer, mix all the ingredients with a dough hook on low speed until the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Increase to medium speed and mix 5-7 minutes. The dough will clean the bowl but still be wet enough to stick at the bottom.
Ferment for 2 hours.
Coat your tray with oil. When you think you've poured enough oil on the tray, add a few more tablespoons.
Dump the dough onto the tray and spread it out with your hands until it mostly fills the tray.
Cover it with plastic and let rise for 2 more hours.
Once it's proofed, it should just about fill the pan. At this point you want to gently dimple the dough with your fingertips.
Fococcia is a great bread to add toppings to, so do that now. Sun dried tomatoes, olives, sel gris, more oil, anything works.
Bake it in a 450 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, until it's golden brown.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

UnhealthyJoe posted:

Did you have to change the recipe much when you used wholemeal / seeds? I want to try to do this.

Not really. Just add more liquid for wholemeal. I tend to not use 100% wholemeal as it can be very heavy: 80/20-50/50 works nicely.

KuroMayuri
Sep 4, 2014

I hate perfection.
To be perfect is to be unable to improve any further.
I made another sourdough loaf today. As is becoming normal it has a lovely sourdough crumb with nice big holes, a lovely chewy crust (because that's how we like it) with a rich golden colour. It has a lovely rich taste.

But my loaf is kinda flat. It hardly fits any filling between it as a sandwich. It's like using a biscotti to make a sandwich...

So I asked myself, who on the interwebs can help me get it up? The answer was obvious. So I handed over my ten bucks and joined Something Awful.

So can you people help? Are there any obvious tips? Or do I need to post my whole method for you people to deconstruct?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

KuroMayuri posted:

I made another sourdough loaf today. As is becoming normal it has a lovely sourdough crumb with nice big holes, a lovely chewy crust (because that's how we like it) with a rich golden colour. It has a lovely rich taste.

But my loaf is kinda flat. It hardly fits any filling between it as a sandwich. It's like using a biscotti to make a sandwich...

So I asked myself, who on the interwebs can help me get it up? The answer was obvious. So I handed over my ten bucks and joined Something Awful.

So can you people help? Are there any obvious tips? Or do I need to post my whole method for you people to deconstruct?

Whole method please!

KuroMayuri
Sep 4, 2014

I hate perfection.

therattle posted:

Whole method please!

OK so it starts with a 100% hydration starter that lives in my fridge and gets refreshed 1-2 times a week, and contains in bakers' %:
- 70% strong white bread flour (14% protein)
- 20% wholemeal bread flour
- 10% rye flour

This gets refreshed at room temperature for 4-8 hours (generally 4 hours during the day, or 8 hours overnight).

For the production sourdough I go for around 67% hydration using the following, given in bakers' % / metric amounts for a ~1kg loaf:
- 70% / 350g strong white bread flour (14% protein)
- 20% / 100g wholemeal flour
- 10% / 50g rye flour
- 60% / 300g water
- 60% / 300g refreshed starter
- 2% / 10g salt
- 2% / 10g diastatic malt powder

I mix the flours together, then combine with the water, then let autolyze for 20 minutes. I then add the starter, salt & malt powder, combine, then knead for five minutes using a stand mixer with a dough hook.

I then bulk hydrate / rise for around four hours, stretching and folding four times, roughly every 30-45 minutes for the first few hours.

I then shape the dough, dust with flour, and proof in a banneton covered with a linen couche (aka tea towel). Sometimes I do this at room temperature for around two hours, sometimes in the fridge overnight covered in a large plastic bag.

An hour before the end of the proof I turn the oven on. And if I'm fridge proofing, I remove the dough from the fridge. If I'm doing a round loaf I use one of these La Cloche baking domes (http://bakerybits.co.uk/la-cloche-baking-dome.html) that basically works like a Dutch oven / casserole to trap steam. If I'm doing a rectangular loaf I use a baking stone and use upturned disposable roasting trays to try and trap steam. The baking stone / cloche goes in the oven. Then I heat the oven at maximum (which for me is 230C fan, roughly 480 deg F) for an hour.

I turn the loaf out of the banneton, score with a lame (aka razor blade), and spray with water, then transfer to the oven, covered in La Cloche or the roasting tins. After 30 minutes I uncover the loaf, turn down to 200C fan (roughly 425 deg F), and bake for another 15 minutes. I then take out of the oven and check the internal temperature with a Thermapen, which is generally over 95C (200 deg F).

As I say this gives me the chewy, golden crust I'm looking for, lovely sourdough holes, rich taste... but a flat loaf. For example:

Thanks to anyone who reads through all that! Any tips on how to get a better oven spring, or taller loaf in other ways, will get even more thanks :)

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

Anyone want to help me make a better whole wheat, vegan bread? Here's the recipe I'm using:

1 2/3 cups warm water
2T coconut oil
2T molasses
1t salt
3 3/4c whole wheat flour
1/4c chia seeds
1/2c flax seed meal
2 1/4t yeast
2T vital wheat gluten

I've been doing this in the bread machine to take care of kneading/rising, which takes 1h20, and then throwing it in a loaf pan, letting it rise another 20-30 minutes, and then baking it at 400F for 30ish minutes. I just found this recipe on the internet though and tweaked it a bit. Are there obvious changes I should make to make a better bread? We mostly use it for sandwiches and toast. We like the flavor and nutritional profile, but it's pretty dense, and if it were softer that would be nice.

I'm also open to scrapping this recipe in favor of another, better vegan whole wheat recipe...

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I actually haven't made sandwich bread in like a million years but I think I just do this when I do.

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

KuroMayuri posted:

I then shape the dough, dust with flour, and proof in a banneton covered with a linen couche (aka tea towel). Sometimes I do this at room temperature for around two hours, sometimes in the fridge overnight covered in a large plastic bag.

I turn the loaf out of the banneton, score with a lame (aka razor blade), and spray with water, then transfer to the oven, covered in La Cloche or the roasting tins. After 30 minutes I uncover the loaf, turn down to 200C fan (roughly 425 deg F), and bake for another 15 minutes. I then take out of the oven and check the internal temperature with a Thermapen, which is generally over 95C (200 deg F).

Thanks to anyone who reads through all that! Any tips on how to get a better oven spring, or taller loaf in other ways, will get even more thanks :)

What's your process for shaping? If you don't get a nice, even surface on the top of the dough, it will tend to spread. Also, you could try not scoring the loaves. I make a similar sourdough loaf with slightly higher hydration (74%) and get a taller loaf if I don't score it.

It sounds like you're spraying the loaves directly with water. If you are baking in a La Cloche, you shouldn't need to steam at all, since the vessel with trap the steam escaping from the bread. Instead, use your spray bottle to mist the sides of your oven to create steam. Do it once before you load the bread in, again as soon as the bread is in, then once more after a couple minutes. Too much steam will cause your loaves to flatten out since crust formation is delayed too long.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

WhoIsYou posted:

What's your process for shaping? If you don't get a nice, even surface on the top of the dough, it will tend to spread. Also, you could try not scoring the loaves. I make a similar sourdough loaf with slightly higher hydration (74%) and get a taller loaf if I don't score it.

It sounds like you're spraying the loaves directly with water. If you are baking in a La Cloche, you shouldn't need to steam at all, since the vessel with trap the steam escaping from the bread. Instead, use your spray bottle to mist the sides of your oven to create steam. Do it once before you load the bread in, again as soon as the bread is in, then once more after a couple minutes. Too much steam will cause your loaves to flatten out since crust formation is delayed too long.

I've got one if those cloche domes - they are great. I get excellent oven spring without adding any water. I would have thought that at that hydration level and a cloche no extra moisture was needed. My not very educated guess might also be that it's to do with either the high hydration or something in the shaping.

KuroMayuri
Sep 4, 2014

I hate perfection.
Don't spray with water before baking? Don't score before baking? Do less work for better results!? I'll certainly try that -- thanks!

Shaping I do by making the rough shape I want (round or rectangle) then sort of tucking the outside edges under a few times so the top is nice and smooth, before transferring upside-down to the banneton, to the smooth top I've formed goes in the base of the banneton, and then when I turn it out again it's back on top.

KuroMayuri fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 6, 2014

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I made several loaves of the Artisan Bread in Five recipe, and the other day I made a loaf of classic sandwich bread from the King Arthur Flour site. There didn't seem to be a huge difference, other than the kneading part, but the crust is so different. What makes the no-knead crust so thick and the sandwich bread crust so thin and light?

KuroMayuri
Sep 4, 2014

I hate perfection.
Yay!

Obviously I still scored it (I bought a lame, I'm going to use it:) but I didn't spray with water, and I re-shaped after proofing. And now I have the loaf I want.

Thank you GWS!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

KuroMayuri posted:

Yay!

Obviously I still scored it (I bought a lame, I'm going to use it:) but I didn't spray with water, and I re-shaped after proofing. And now I have the loaf I want.

Thank you GWS!

That looks bloody amazing. Brilliant oven spring.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

KuroMayuri posted:

Yay!

Thank you GWS!

I want to put that bread in my face :stare:

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
That looks amazing!! Now make bread bowls and clam chowder plz. K'thnkz

KuroMayuri
Sep 4, 2014

I hate perfection.

le capitan posted:

That looks amazing!! Now make bread bowls and clam chowder plz. K'thnkz

Yes sir!

Actually I've been meaning to try bread bowls for a while.

Anyone got any tips?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I'm really new at this, but I made a bread.

Just the standard no-knead recipe. Used a big covered stock pot.

It's damned tasty, would definitely eat again. However, the whole loaf turned out to only be about as tall as a cast-iron pan of cornbread or a loaf of biscotti. What did I screw up? Not letting it proof long enough? Or just too wide a diameter of the pot I cooked it in?

KuroMayuri
Sep 4, 2014

I hate perfection.
As I found out: details are needed. What flour are you using, what % protein is it? How long are you autolysing? How long is the rise? How many stretch & folds? How long is the proof? What flour is it, and what protein level? How is it baked: times and temps?

KuroMayuri fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 12, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Phanatic posted:

However, the whole loaf turned out to only be about as tall as a cast-iron pan of cornbread or a loaf of biscotti.

You missed a golden opportunity to bisect it on the horizontal and build a party sandwich that you could serve in wedges.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I baked a bread:

Cut open next to some souped noodles:

I don't have the recipe with me, but it's a basic sponge of white and wheat flour, then more white flour after the sponge does it's thing all morning.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
I need some help. I've started making sourdough, because it's fairly cheap and my roommate's wife likes the stuff. The first three loaves didn't turn out as well as I'd like; the first had a knife-breakingly tough crust, and all three had fairly dense crumbs without the big bubbles sourdough's supposed to have. This most recent one, though, is good. Nicely tender crust, nice big bubbles, it is in every way what sourdough should be, except it's not sour. What could I be doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You're going to have to tell us what you're doing before we can tell you what you're doing wrong.