Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Somberbrero posted:

That's not wrong. I'd prefer to talk less about who I can't vote and more about who I should vote if that's possible though.
Unless you can't.. why wouldn't you share details at this point? We don't have to discuss it. But you've hinted enough at your role that you should tell us why you can't vote certain people. That is odd, and an enormous handicap for a town player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Juanito posted:

Unless you can't.. why wouldn't you share details at this point? We don't have to discuss it. But you've hinted enough at your role that you should tell us why you can't vote certain people. That is odd, and an enormous handicap for a town player.

Sure, why not. It's not like anything else is happening. I'm in an unconfirmed mason group with Winson, Grandi, Meinberg, and Maltose. I can't vote any of them today. It should be temporary and it's related to other stuff. I have had pretty good interactions with Meinberg and Grandi and I feel fairly confident they're town. If I had to guess that one player in my group it'd be Winson, based on something he said about how he was planning on exercising as much caution as possible which struck me as odd. Could easily be Maltose though, dude has hardly been around.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Somberbrero posted:

Sure, why not. It's not like anything else is happening. I'm in an unconfirmed mason group with Winson, Grandi, Meinberg, and Maltose. I can't vote any of them today. It should be temporary and it's related to other stuff. I have had pretty good interactions with Meinberg and Grandi and I feel fairly confident they're town. If I had to guess that one player in my group it'd be Winson, based on something he said about how he was planning on exercising as much caution as possible which struck me as odd. Could easily be Maltose though, dude has hardly been around.
Scum must be in that masonry group, because I can't imagine them putting 5 town together. That's a huge masonry for an 11 person game. It's really not worth worrying about though. I'm guessing they can't vote each other.. so I think that makes it unlikely that any of them could get lunched today.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
No, I'm pretty sure that's just on me.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Somberbrero posted:

No, I'm pretty sure that's just on me.
Then nevermind :downs:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
So yeah, out of the five players I'm able to vote, Capitalist seems fair enough.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
But just because you can't vote for the players in your masonry, I don't understand why they're off the table entirely as lynch candidates? Anyone else can vote for them.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Somberbrero posted:

So yeah, out of the five players I'm able to vote, Capitalist seems fair enough.

This is terrible. I don't want to lynch someone that I don't really think is scum at this stage just because your options are limited Somber.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Great, go ahead and push for that but I can't really help. I'll go through and try to case Winson or Maltose but it doesn't seem like either has much content and most people aren't around.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'm pretty confident in Somb and Grandi myself. And Maltose and Winson are still pretty new, so I'm not sure how comfortable I feel voting for them on D1. I would like them to post more, certainly.

On the other hand, I don't have a strong scum read on anyone. That Jedit vote on MMM has set off some warning bells, but there's not been a whole lot to go on beyond that on Jedit, and it was early enough for it have been a joke. CPig's claim has me feeling that he's more towny than otherwise, but I'm still somewhat suspicious of him. Despite rereading the thread a couple times, I'm still not feeling anyone.

What I'm saying is, I'm bad at Mafia.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Yeah, turns out Winson has two real posts in this game and the only one with serious content has a bizarre premise that the more active players are scummy. He says "maybe" on five players. Dude is newer, doesn't seem like lunching him would be helpful.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Nothing real from Maltose either. FV if you have an awesome argument to make then I'm listening. Otherwise it's Capitalist or Merkin for me I guess. I want to give Merkin the benefit of the doubt because he's been driving a lot of the conversation, even if I really disagree with him.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

Nothing real from Maltose either. FV if you have an awesome argument to make then I'm listening. Otherwise it's Capitalist or Merkin for me I guess. I want to give Merkin the benefit of the doubt because he's been driving a lot of the conversation, even if I really disagree with him.

I made my case earlier. It's not awesome, but no case in this game so far is.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

There is nothing to go on, but I don't get a scum vibe off CPig or MMM and I don't really want to lynch an active player in a low volume game.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Meinberg did you talk to Grandi out of thread?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MildManeredManikin posted:

We've all been talking on and off.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

There is nothing to go on, but I don't get a scum vibe off CPig or MMM and I don't really want to lynch an active player in a low volume game.

Activity isn't really any indicator of alignment though. I get that it's rough but sometimes scum care more too.

Winson_Paine posted:

That said, I have no clue. All the reads so far seem tenuous at best, and I haven't actually been in a game where a scum got hit on D1 so idk. I guess if I were to make a read? I dunno, I would expect scum to be more engaged or aggressive from go than passive to start. Like I would think it would behoove a scum player to entrench themselves in a position where you could start pointing fingers so if poo poo washed back your way it would be easier to deflect. Like, just sitting around or making jokes seems like it would make it easier to be a target, which is not something the informed minority wants but is fairly easy for the uninformed rabble to do.

WITH THAT IN MIND I look at the game and see... hmm. Maaaaaybe Sombrero? Maybe FV? Both seem a little too engaged for that to resolve for me tho. Jedit, maybe, but his not posting is as bad as my not posting so idk there. Pig seems super annoying but that is not really scummy and if I were scum I would probably try to not get lynched just to get me to shut the gently caress up. Grandi seems pretty hunty. I dunno, D1 calls suck but maybe Hal or Maltose would be my guess. Both very middle of the road picks.

If we're going to call out fence sitting, this is really bad. He mentions me, FV, Jedit, Pig, Grandi, Hal, and Maltose. The strongest impression I get is that he thinks Grandi is town. Maybe?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Do ya want to no lynch or wat

So Grandi is participating in the doc, and yet he hasn't posted in the thread in 2 days...

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Juanito posted:

So Grandi is participating in the doc, and yet he hasn't posted in the thread in 2 days...

I'm not sure the last time he talked to us but it doesn't really change my read, although he should definitely get back here and post.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I hadn't realised Grandi hadn't posted in so long. He's normally pretty active, isn't he?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Jedit posted:

I hadn't realised Grandi hadn't posted in so long. He's normally pretty active, isn't he?

Not in my experience.

Am I still scum?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm only going to be around for another hour, who is here right now?

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Somberbrero posted:

Yeah, turns out Winson has two real posts in this game and the only one with serious content has a bizarre premise that the more active players are scummy. He says "maybe" on five players. Dude is newer, doesn't seem like lunching him would be helpful.

I still don't get how that is a bizarre premise but then again I just read like a one hundred post exchange that indicates being good at Mafia may indicate you have actual brain damage.

Somberbrero posted:

If we're going to call out fence sitting, this is really bad. He mentions me, FV, Jedit, Pig, Grandi, Hal, and Maltose. The strongest impression I get is that he thinks Grandi is town. Maybe?

If you need clarification, that is more words than was needed for "I don't have a loving clue." I think maybe FV and Grandi are townish but would not extend that past like, not voting for either of them today. The closest I have to a scum read is Hal, but that is entirely tummyfeels and I can not make a case for it.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

I'm only going to be around for another hour, who is here right now?

Hi! I am, briefly.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Juanito I sort of want to vote Hal though.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

Somberbrero posted:

Juanito I sort of want to vote Hal though.
O rly.

He's not a good target. He isn't posting enough here, like some other players, but you should look elsewhere.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Winson_Paine posted:

I still don't get how that is a bizarre premise but then again I just read like a one hundred post exchange that indicates being good at Mafia may indicate you have actual brain damage.

Generally people see posting a lot as less scummy than posting a bit since you're more likely to reveal yourself as scum if you post a bunch.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Juanito seems pretty certain of Hal

My guess is that either Juanito had some sort of investigative thing n0, is in a confirmed masonry, which would be bonkers, or they are scum together.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Winson_Paine posted:

Can you explain it at all? Putting out strong opinions and building connections reads as very town to me. I dunno how you'd find scums otherwise.

Winson_Paine posted:

If you need clarification, that is more words than was needed for "I don't have a loving clue." I think maybe FV and Grandi are townish but would not extend that past like, not voting for either of them today. The closest I have to a scum read is Hal, but that is entirely tummyfeels and I can not make a case for it.

Yeah, the point was kinda that there were a lot of words saying nothing. White noise, posts that look like content but don't say anything, are a solid way to look like you're contributing without putting yourself in an awkward position as scum.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hal usually sits back day one and gets more into on the later days, I'm willing to let him slide for a bit.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CapitalistPig posted:

Juanito seems pretty certain of Hal

My guess is that either Juanito had some sort of investigative thing n0, is in a confirmed masonry, which would be bonkers, or they are scum together.

Let's speculate on roles some more publicly.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Somberbrero posted:

Let's speculate on roles some more publicly.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
I like speculation, but us being scum together would be really dumb.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Rude, Denis.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I read the watermark as "Penis" at first.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Juanito posted:

Do ya want to no lynch or wat

No, I don't want to no lynch but I also don't want to make half the game off limits because one person has a vote restriction.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

fiery_valkyrie posted:

No, I don't want to no lynch but I also don't want to make half the game off limits because one person has a vote restriction.
True, I was mostly wondering if you had any specific scummy targets.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Somberbrero posted:

Can you explain it at all? Putting out strong opinions and building connections reads as very town to me. I dunno how you'd find scums otherwise.

No, alas, I can not. I got nothin. Note: my gut has never, ever been right and was in fact consistently wrong the last time I played Mafia, so that probably means Hal is golden. I realize general town theory of posting theories and reading posts, but I can't see them as being worth a poo poo since without even the D1 vote to give perspective you can't see who was steering what where. I don't play enough to have reads on anyones META so you can see at least a little how I am flying kind of blind here.

Somberbrero posted:

Yeah, the point was kinda that there were a lot of words saying nothing. White noise, posts that look like content but don't say anything, are a solid way to look like you're contributing without putting yourself in an awkward position as scum.

I thought defending yourself was scummy? I remember that being the case.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Juanito posted:

True, I was mostly wondering if you had any specific scummy targets.

I made a case and have a vote down.

Who are your scummy targets?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I have to go to the gym now. I should hopefully be back about 15 minutes before deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Sorry, was busy preparing dinner.

Yes, and he's still somewhat suspicious of me, which is his right.

Winson_Paine posted:

I thought defending yourself was scummy? I remember that being the case.

I've always had this assumption myself, but it seems that certain people may view defending one way and others another.

• Locked thread