Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

gggiiimmmppp posted:

A burer pro-tip is to carry a .45 pistol with hydrashock ammo. Nimble's handguns are relatively cheap and I normally go for March, the unique USP, since it's really light and it can be upgraded for low recoil auto fire. Burers' ability to pull guns out of your hands is based on the gun's weight so they won't be able to steal your pistol and you can empty it right in their big dumb faces (a really light rifle like tide or a smg might also be enough)

I've got to assume they changed damage and HPs for Misery, but I was surprised at how quickly burers go down in Lost Alpha to the knife, so long as you can get up to them without being psy-raped. They soak up automatic gunfire, but a couple of quick swipes of the blade and down they go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Missing Name posted:

Did you do all of trapper's quests?

These fuckers?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Wasn't there a mod combining the two or am I misremembering it for something else?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

gggiiimmmppp posted:

A burer pro-tip is to carry a .45 pistol with hydrashock ammo. Nimble's handguns are relatively cheap and I normally go for March, the unique USP, since it's really light and it can be upgraded for low recoil auto fire. Burers' ability to pull guns out of your hands is based on the gun's weight so they won't be able to steal your pistol and you can empty it right in their big dumb faces (a really light rifle like tide or a smg might also be enough)

That's pretty cool. It took me a while to even figure out that it doesn't do any good trying to shoot them when they have their force field up.

I cheesed my way through the iron forest both times anyway because of the warp that takes you behind it, with a hole in the wall to shoot through. They also got killed by the lightning on the ground it looked like.

Gromit posted:

I've got to assume they changed damage and HPs for Misery, but I was surprised at how quickly burers go down in Lost Alpha to the knife, so long as you can get up to them without being psy-raped. They soak up automatic gunfire, but a couple of quick swipes of the blade and down they go.

The knife felt ridiculously overpowered in Complete once I realized I could kill a Burer with it. Haven't used it in Misery because it takes up a weapons slot and who wants to get close enough to anyone to use it?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So hey, I did a thing in Lost Alpha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75dotfmqwgY

Still need to go through the scripts to add these new binoculars in. This will remove the unnecessary weapon stats, I hope.

Current limitation is pretty obvious, but in the inventory there's no visible slot for binoculars so the only way you can check to see what one you've got is to equip them.

Each one has a different weight and hopefully different properties. The Komz based one has an adaptive 'nightvision' that will give a post-processing effect when zoomed in at night to hopefully allow you to see better. Bonus melee weapon at the end. Melee weapons don't have the same limitations as binoculars, and you can actually see them in the inventory.

Still need to fix a few things, like the sounds and whatever. The binocular huds also have a tendency to shift when you're moving which is annoying but not gamebreaking, I guess.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Any opinions on the OFFLIFE mod?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I haven't played a huge amount, but it's basically focused entirely on freeplay. There's no plot to speak of, it's just stalkers in different areas and you can explore, do missions, and fight other people. It's pretty chill.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Any other mods capture that mindset better than what you've experienced with offlife?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
For SoC? None that I can really think of. It basically does one thing and does it well. There's always action going on somewhere and there's a whole host of different factions you can join etc.

Basically it's sort of the Clear Sky faction wars but in SoC.

e: Here, have some videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvA0FdzW6cQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzvqbE9a0nM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X6roPfMXUY

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 6, 2014

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Ddraig, since there's been some talk of looting armour, I'd like to mention that I'm not sure I am a fan of that.

I remember playing OGSE and getting some pretty great military armour from killing soldiers at the cordon, and it seemed like that kind of thing could rather break the game. What's the point in doing some mini side-quest where the reward is a piece of armour when you can just get armour by killing random dudes?

I guess the balancing factor would be that the armour from killed enemies would be in poor condition and you'd have to pay to repair it. But it rather reminds me of Fallout 3 where everybody seems to be walking around in 15% condition armour, even fearsome technologically advanced enemies like the Enclave. I liked the way Fallout 1 did it, wear normally you couldn't loot armour, but there were a couple of unique NPCs where killing them allowed you to loot their metal armour or combat armour or whatever. Worked from a gameplay point of view, even if it didn't make complete sense.

That's just me, though - happy to hear everyone else's opinion.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Ddraig posted:

For SoC? None that I can really think of. It basically does one thing and does it well. There's always action going on somewhere and there's a whole host of different factions you can join etc.
Basically it's sort of the Clear Sky faction wars but in SoC.

To put it simply I'd rather play on CoP's engine because of the upgrade system and stability.

My best guess would be misery mod. Would I be right?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Man, what a loving letdown. It's time for X-8 and I'm rich, I've got an exoskeleton, sphere-12, saiga and stg-58, all fully upgraded, so I decided to have some fun and upgrade zulu's machinegun to clear the monolith out of the upper levels of the building.

I get up to the third floor, killing half a dozen or so zombies along the way quietly, when I duck into a room and in comes a cat, and another cat, one after another; 8 or 9 cats in total, easily dispatched. As soon as the cats were done, here come 3 bloodsuckers. So I dealt with that, went upstairs, and there's no loving monolith. Their guns are laying around on the floor, but no corpses. I guess the cats loving ate them. Cats :argh:

I guess I'll just have to use the mg on the breakout :smith:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Some things seem a little buggy in pripyat. I don't think I've seen any NPCs, zombies, or mutants at all that weren't scripted, ie the zulu rescue, except for the huge pack of cats plus bloodsuckers that were in the upper floors of that building for some reason. Even the pack of dogs that's always in front of the grocery store was nowhere in sight. I haven't been up north yet to look for monolith, though.

My only big mechanical gripe came up in pripyat as well. There are two areas where it forces you to be in close quarters with a psy aura, and it's pretty much impossible to progress without specialized psy armor which has been maxed out for psy protection with upgrades. Drugs do almost nothing, and drugs plus a combat helmet which has the psy upgrades doesn't put you anywhere near what you need. You can cheese it in the kindergarten with a rifle grenade, but in X-8 if you collect all the papers it spawns a controller in the room by the exit. Regardless of which approach you take you have to spend several seconds in the aura climbing stairs in the vincinity before you can possibly even put a rifle grenade on the controller, and it will kill you long before. My only option when I realized I was hosed would have been to go back to my autosave and redo the lab, either skipping some documents or going all the way back to jupiter to buy the standalone SEVA helmet and upgrade it, so I just edited my helmet's stats temporarily. If you've got a full bar of psy protection on the inventory screen or close to it with drugs you can probably manage.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

NeoSeeker posted:

To put it simply I'd rather play on CoP's engine because of the upgrade system and stability.

My best guess would be misery mod. Would I be right?

I can't think of any released freeplay mods for COP, but if you're willing to wait a while it sounds like Call of Chernobyl will fill that gap.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Swartz posted:

I can't think of any released freeplay mods for COP, but if you're willing to wait a while it sounds like Call of Chernobyl will fill that gap.

Considering I've been waiting since release of SoC to run these games proper and have been since the beginning of the year... I think I'm covered for now. Looks like someone finally got around to trying to develop the ultimate mod.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 6, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
With regards to looting armor, I did have a few ideas to combat the problem you were referring to where it can make things too easy. My initial one was to damage the outfits heavily if you loot them off a corpse (the rational being the suit must be pretty hosed up, as they're dead and presumably were killed by something). The major issue I have with this is that all the armors I've managed to spawn have been at full condition, as it's quite difficult to create a function in the death_manager script that damages a dynamically spawned item like that while using the Lost Alpha functions. I think I've found something that would allow me to do it, but I'm not sure.

I'm being a bit spergy as I kind of want to use the functions Lost Alpha has included as they're rather elegantly done and I don't want to create a situation where multiple sets of timers are operating at the same time etc, that way madness lies.

The second one was to have a 'fake' armor section, which is basically a placeholder to a piece of real armor that you have to take to a mechanic and get it modified so it fits you or something. Kind of requires a bit of a leap of logic, to be honest.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ddraig posted:

My initial one was to damage the outfits heavily if you loot them off a corpse (the rational being the suit must be pretty hosed up, as they're dead and presumably were killed by something).

OGSE or something did this and it was just a matter of finding 2 sets of the same armor when the military raided the stalker camp in the cordon to patch together with a repair kit to get it to where I could afford to pay the rest of the repairs. It seems like I got a bulat or berill suit right off the bat. Of course, not sending the whole military to die 15 minutes in would solve this problem :v:.

On another note, is there a reason no CoP mod lets you use another closed cycle suit for the pripyat underground? Lots of mods add the other scientific suits or the disembodied SEVA hat but you always have to buy a full SEVA suit.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
ARS does, I believe.

I think in my Misery Hotfix I also allowed exoskeletons to be used, as they're essentially a closed-circuit suit aswell.

e: I think once I finish this Lost Alpha thing I may just attempt to work on my Misery tweak thing again. If I can make it 0.001% better than it is I'll have achieved more than MDT did :v:

Here's some videos of the dev process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a8yxRVaDls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU1xuQMfusY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfplA6SKSNs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVTQA7x13lc

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 6, 2014

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So finally got this working on my pc. It's not great but I'm running smoothly so far in SoC. Got Zrp to work and the shaders. Needed Zrp even if only for the head bob. Playing on Master and I like it though I keep getting my rear end handed to me rescuing the guy at the first conflict. Loving it so far. The near insta death is cool. I like that if you aren't on guard during a gun fight you're gonna have a bad time real quick. Only issue is, I feel like I'm lining up my shots pretty good but the game is either not registering the shot or its just missing entirely. Is this common even when ADSing? Still happy the finally be playing these games.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
ZRP has options to make weapons more accurate. It has options for pretty much everything. I'd highly suggest turning this on, as even though it will make things tougher (npcs are more likely to hit you as the weapon changes also affect their weapons) it will even the playing field.

The vanilla weapons are not terrible, but they're not nearly as accurate or as deadly as they should be.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Do I use the Optimised Game Shaders with Misery?

Also, is anything out that would make SoC worth revisiting? Last I played it was maybe 2008. I totally looooved SGM for Pripyat, back in version 1.7 for comparison

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Bouchacha posted:

Also, is anything out that would make SoC worth revisiting? Last I played it was maybe 2008. I totally looooved SGM for Pripyat, back in version 1.7 for comparison

Lost Alpha, I suggest you wait until Ddraig finishes His addon, as it will be excellent.

LA is basically such a heavilly modded soc that its practically a free game in the stalker series.
Some of its comically bad but in all, the areas are much bigger, with lots of oddness to be found here and there.

grab the slam pack as well.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Bouchacha posted:

I was in a similar spot and I'm enjoying Autumn Aurora 2, which was linked somewhere up the thread. It's still your basic SoC, just with some adjustments to make it look, sound, and play better. I like it because I liked SoC a lot, and it's allowing me to a play a more polished, less dated version of what I liked.

If you want tons of new content, Lost Alpha is more the thing.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Dezowave are a tricky bunch...

I've been trying to put in the PDA distortion effects from various mods when an emission is raging (in OGSE it's a blank PDA, in DMX/Stalkersoup there's visible distortion) but virtually every single time I would try it would either crash the game, be displayed behind the PDA and thus be essentially invisible, or in some methods I've tried actually close the drat game entirely from closing the main input receiver (i.e. the actual game)

Turns out that funky new PDA is actually entirely scripted, I think. That's what allows it to have those cool functions like being able to chat to other stalkers, or what have you. I think the actual hard-coded PDA is immediately closed in favour of the new one, hence any actions being performed with the old PDA in mind are so buggy and prone to crashes. I may have to look a bit closely at this to see if I can get the same effect I want.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Thanks for the recommendations. I forgot that I never played Stalkersoup. Is it worthwhile?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Stalkersoup is weird. Technobacon, for whatever reason, has set himself the task of doing... something. I'm not sure what. Stalkersoup is basically People's Soup and the DMX addon. You can get these from here: http://ap-pro.ru/forum/35-893-1

This version is considerably less crash prone and better put together than Stalkersoup. I don't know why.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ddraig posted:

e: I think once I finish this Lost Alpha thing I may just attempt to work on my Misery tweak thing again. If I can make it 0.001% better than it is I'll have achieved more than MDT did :v:

First thing you should do is trim down and simplify the bloated system of repair items. There's so much more and I know I don't need to tell you that :v:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Worldwide exclusive! First screenshot from MDT's The Seed:

MariusLecter posted:

First thing you should do is trim down and simplify the bloated system of repair items. There's so much more and I know I don't need to tell you that :v:

At the moment it's mainly a few changes to the plot, immersion tweaks, fixing glaringly obvious bugs, and putting the 'Alienation' back into the Zone of Alienation. It seems like MDT really loving hate the world of Stalker if it doesn't involve guns and shooting people. Mutants are essentially uninteresting instakill boss battles, and anomalies have hardly been touched at all aside to make them 20x more deadly.

What I've done is taken stuff from the excellent Sky Anomaly mod to make more varied, stranger and hosed up anomalies. The Zone is now a truly weird place once again, and the laws of physics and reality do not apply at all. Expect stuff like floating landmasses, 'haunted' areas, anomalies that affect your perception of things etc.

As for the plot/immersion tweaks I'm basically making the plot of Call of Pripyat make sense. You're supposed to be going undercover, yet as far as the world is concerned you're just another stalker. MDT tried to make this slightly more logical, using their own logic system, but failed utterly. Your starting loadout is changed, with more appropriate gear, you get a partner on your mission (assuming you don't walk the black road - he dies in that, and can possibly blow your cover if you don't take appropriate actions during the Black Road) and you actually have to watch what you say and who you say it to or you can gently caress up quite badly and lock out essential services etc.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does the LA torrent download not work for anyone else? I have BitTorrent, I've downloaded it before, but the page dezo says to download from leads to an error page

E: loving lol. So I get LA and Misery both downloaded and both instantly crash on start up. Here's the LA crash report in picture form because it would let me just copy paste it.

frank.club fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 8, 2014

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ddraig posted:

Worldwide exclusive! First screenshot from MDT's The Seed:

I would play Sugoi STALKER in a heartbeat.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Acquire Currency! posted:

Does the LA torrent download not work for anyone else? I have BitTorrent, I've downloaded it before, but the page dezo says to download from leads to an error page

E: loving lol. So I get LA and Misery both downloaded and both instantly crash on start up. Here's the LA crash report in picture form because it would let me just copy paste it.

Post the last few lines of your crash log instead, plz thx

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The LA engine does seem to report rather rudimentary scripting errors in that dialog now. More complex crashes still require the log, though.

I've had a lot of crashes with Lost Alpha! Mainly due to stupid poo poo I'm experimenting with.

e: Hey, can someone do me a solid... I'm not really at that point in the game yet, but in the Sin base, can anyone tell me if the initial conversation with Veles is voiced at all? It would make my life a lot, lot easier if it wasn't as I want to give him alternate dialog if you're a zombie when you turn up there.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 8, 2014

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
If you don't mind listening to some gamer narrating their experience, you can hear the minor spoken dialogue here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8QLNIujdfk

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Heh, there's a commented out item description buried in the text files:

"Day 1: Everybody here is going mad! I need to hide... until it's too late or they will find me, something saved me, I guess it's this prototype on my head which I wore today for testing... without it I would already be dead. Day 2: It's dark and damp here, I need food and supplies, but how can I get out.. they are everywhere! All my mates, and friends transformed into something... something unbelievable, horrible, I can't even describe it! Day 3: It's all Loxotron's fault!! He is GAY and he is LYING.. to YOU, loving former GSC member, gently caress, I HATE YOU, DIE IF YOU CAN, DIE SON OF A BITCH, PLEASE!!!!! Day 4: It's the end.. no food, no water, if someone finds this note, please know that all of this was for good! We wanted only to protect the world, not to destroy it!"

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Ddraig posted:

"Day 1: Everybody here is going mad! I need to hide... until it's too late or they will find me, something saved me, I guess it's this prototype on my head which I wore today for testing... without it I would already be dead. Day 2: It's dark and damp here, I need food and supplies, but how can I get out.. they are everywhere! All my mates, and friends transformed into something... something unbelievable, horrible, I can't even describe it! Day 3: It's all Loxotron's fault!! He is GAY and he is LYING.. to YOU, loving former GSC member, gently caress, I HATE YOU, DIE IF YOU CAN, DIE SON OF A BITCH, PLEASE!!!!! Day 4: It's the end.. no food, no water, if someone finds this note, please know that all of this was for good! We wanted only to protect the world, not to destroy it!"

The Duty trader on the roof by the bar has a bit of a snark at someone at GSC too. It was quite amusing.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ddraig posted:

Sounds like they're not too fond of the source code getting leaked (Loxotron leaked CS, I think Soc too, and I messaged him and he said COP is this October).

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I saved both Seriy and Mole in Lost Alpha but neither of their objectives are advancing past 'ask for info', is this something I should be concerned about or should I keep on trucking?

I'm also kinda annoyed with how much it takes to kill a soldier. Even with AP ammo I'm dumping way more than I should have to into them.

E: also one survived a direct explosion from an F1 grenade

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

How replayable is Misery mod? Rather, what aspect do players enjoy the most of the mod? And are enemies bullet sponges or is gunplay realistic? Also would I be wrong in guessing it has endgame freeroam?

Can I please just get some unadulterated hot Stalker on Zone action that doesn't need a cigarette break every 5 minutes?

\/ This looks like the mod I am looking for. The only reason why I steered clear in the past is I thought there were better mods. Not only that but for the most part "new guns" means an addition of a bunch of weapons with desychronized sounds and bad/stiff animation. For what it's worth though I could care less.

I'm willing to bet it's not even a guess at this point that part of misery's namesake is a whole lot of bulletsponges.

Either way, thank you willy pete.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 9, 2014

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

NeoSeeker posted:

How replayable is Misery mod? Rather, what aspect do players enjoy the most of the mod? And are enemies bullet sponges or is gunplay realistic? Also would I be wrong in guessing it has endgame freeroam?

Can I please just get some unadulterated hot Stalker on Zone action that doesn't need a cigarette break every 5 minutes?
Get Arsenal Overhaul if you want no bullshit with realistic gunplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Far Cry of Pripyat: http://www.moddb.com/mods/atmosfear-for-call-of-pripyat/addons/alex-degtyarev-and-the-deadly-paradise

e: Right now I've got a functioning dialog system for Zombies worked out. Basically, it's the "Can you tell me something interesting?" dialog but with 100 new responses, and you only get to see it if you're a zombie talking to another zombie. I'm not sure what to go for. I'd like it to be a bit of a joke that Zombies are surprisingly eloquent talking to each other about events in the Zone but everyone else just sees them as braindead. It's more of an easter egg thing, I guess, as chances are good you're probably not going to be talking to a huge amount of zombies, as there's a very small chance you'll actually become one yourself.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 10, 2014