Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
So a few days ago The_Doctor offered to send some of his old Doctor Who books to the first couple people who asked, and I shot him an email. I expected I would get one, maybe two books in the mail in a month's time or so, so imagine my surprise when I came home from work and one of the three packages I had had this in it.

So thanks a million! You truly are The_Doctor.

And that aside, I was thinking about something about work today regarding the Daleks in the Moffat era, specifically about that one quote from Moffat about the Daleks being the Doctor's most common enemy meaning that they're also his most defeated enemy. I think the Moffat Dalek episodes have been very good about not having a straight "Doctor defeats the Daleks" plot. It's usually set up so that the Daleks don't win, but they aren't actually defeated.

They arguably win in Victory of the Daleks (it's even in the title) in that they start the new Dalek race. In Asylum, the Doctor doesn't really do anything bad to them, aside from wiping himself from their memory. They get rid of their embarrassment and the Doctor doesn't get exterminated. And in Into the Dalek, a single Dalek gets taken out after concentrated laser fire, but the other Daleks are taken out accidentally in a way the Doctor didn't expect.

I think it's a good way to maintain some sense of danger from the Daleks if they're legally required to be in every season, if that's really true. They're still around, but they're not getting beaten all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
EDIT: Apparently, this is a spoiler, even though it's been edited out and will not appear in the episode. Oh well!

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 6, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One imagines they didn't have much choice in the matter; whatever the context of the scene, the tabloids probably would've raked them over hot coals otherwise and that's the sort of press they don't need.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

So I guess the terrorists have won.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Oh man, I didn't know Gatiss wrote Cold War. That's one of my absolute favorites. I mean, David Warner AND Liam Cunningham? Have they ever had a better guest cast?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Paul Darrow in Timelash :smug:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Paul Darrow in Timelash :smug:

From an interview I found on the interwebs:

http://www.shadowlocked.com/201107051933/interviews/interview-paul-darrow-on-blakes-7-minister-of-chance-star-wars-the-old-republic.html posted:

Does doing things like the Doctor Who 'Timelash' commentary give you a new view on your past work?

Well, I'll be honest with you - the Timelash thing, I really didn't know how to play that. I thought 'Tell you what'...I talk to myself, which is getting to be a habit as I get old!...'I'll try and play him like Richard the Third, with the hump and the evil cackle, or whatever.

I more or less got away with it, but they accused me of sending it up. I remember JNT [1980s Doctor Who producer John Nathan Turner] - gone now, God bless his soul - got quite cross with me. Afterwards at a convention in America he said 'You were absolutely right to do it that way - the script wasn't that good and you made something of it'.

But Timelash is the most disliked and also one of the most liked, which is fascinating.

I wonder if Blakes 7 got some spare sets for having Darrow on. And I didn't know he did the commentary, there's another DVD to get!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ewe2 posted:

I wonder if Blakes 7 got some spare sets for having Darrow on.

They were given an extra 5 pounds.

So yes, they got 27 new sets to work with.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

CaptainYesterday posted:

If you expected someone to be ...

I wasn't expecting anything, you're thinking of that other thread mate.

BSam fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 6, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CaptainYesterday posted:

If you expected something something to something something

Why would I be expecting that?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

And curse you Jerusalem, I had completely forgotten about Herbert and now I shall be irritated all day.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Check out what came from the Torchwood Institute today!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

Check out what came from the Torchwood Institute today!

Woohoo! Glad they're arriving ok!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

That Talons cover has the raddest 70's DW logo I've ever seen.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Finally got around to watching the first two episoes of the new series.

I wasn't a huge fan of either episode from a plot perspective, but Capaldi and Coleman have both been utterly fantastic in their roles. After being basically indifferent to Clara during her run with Smith I'm now genuinely sorry to hear that she'll be leaving so soon.

And Capaldi? I know this is probably an unpopular viewpoint but I already like him better as the Doctor than Matt Smith. Smith was great, don't get me wrong, but I never warmed up to him quite as much as I did Eccleston and Tennant. Capaldi on the other hand could become my favorite Doctor if he keeps this up.

I just hope he gets some better material to work with soon.

Hopefully the next episode is a step in the right direction. Gattis's two episodes in series 7 1/2 were the best work he's ever contributed to the show and hopefully this is more akin to those two than some of his dodgy earlier stuff. Crimson Horror was great and definitely the highlight of the regular episodes from series 7 IMO.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 6, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved Matt Smith as the Doctor and wanted him to say in the role for years, but the moment Capaldi was even suggested as possibly taking the role I was absolutely onboard, and so far he has only added fuel to that fire with his performances onscreen and his happy embracing of the role and his own gigantic nerdiness offscreen :allears:

The amazing streak of luck in regards to casting the Doctor continues on.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I read somewhere that they're essentially contractually obligated to do at least one Dalek episode a series due to an agreement with the estate of the man who created them. Is this true?

My main issue with that last episode is that I'm personally not the hugest fan of Daleks and think most interesting avenues to take with them have already been well travelled. Their first appearance in the reboot with Eccleston was very well executed and I enjoyed Asylum, but all the other Dalek episodes I thought were decent at best and ranged downward to some of the worst of the show (Victory)].

I know they're probably the second most iconic aspect of the show next to the TARDIS and I'm not expecting them to go away, but it would be nice if they took a bit of a break from them to concentrate on other adversaries.

Jerusalem posted:

The amazing streak of luck in regards to casting the Doctor continues on.

Yeah. I can't really give an opinion on any classic doctor except Tom Baker, but all the actors in the reboot have been excellent including John Hurt (and I thought casting a guy as the War Doctor was a huge mistake at first since I envisioned Eccleston in that role).

I may not have liked Matt Smith quite as much as the prior two actors in that role but I'll be the first to say he did a great job overall. One of my favorite aspects of the show is that the different incarnations of the Doctor that I've watched have all exhibited different personality traits but are still easily recognizable as the same character.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 6, 2014

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the only thing consistently good on doctor who has been the casting of the doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thauros posted:

I read somewhere that they're essentially contractually obligated to do at least one Dalek episode a series due to an agreement with the estate of the man who created them. Is this true?

I don't know if it has ever been confirmed or not, but it's been something I've heard claimed as fact going back to 2005. Given that every single year of the show has featured at least one appearance by the Daleks (even in the year of Specials there is a brief scene with a Dalek in Waters of Mars even though it has nothing at all to do with the story) I think it is highly likely though - I imagine it probably boils down to if they miss a year then their contract ends and the Nation Estate can negotiate/hold out for more money for a new contract when the show DOES want to do a new Dalek story.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Yet another excellent argument for a Dalek companion.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

On the talk of Moffat as showrunner, this will be his fourth year doing the job. RTD only lasted four himself (not including the specials), so I wonder if he is somewhere in his brain getting an idea of when he'd like to move on.

Unless they're going to start a thing where the showrunner and the actor playing the Doctor both have to leave at the same time from now on.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gordon Shumway posted:

On the talk of Moffat as showrunner, this will be his fourth year doing the job. RTD only lasted four himself (not including the specials), so I wonder if he is somewhere in his brain getting an idea of when he'd like to move on.

Unless they're going to start a thing where the showrunner and the actor playing the Doctor both have to leave at the same time from now on.

He has said in interviews that he's already geared up his multi-season arc and is planning NEXT year's final.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Then again, Moffat's an Emmy winner and may now have opportunities that he didn't have when he made those comments.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That Talons cover has the raddest 70's DW logo I've ever seen.

That's from the US run of Doctor Who books in the mid-70s; I got the set for Christmas when I was 12 (in 1977! Eep!) They baffled me for a long time, because a coupe of them are 3rd Doctor stories with Jo, but since Tom Baker's was the only Doctor really known in the US/being promoted in the US at the time, they force-jam-crammed his attributes on top of Joe Pertwee's character.

That series has an amazingly grumpy introduction by Harlan Ellison (praising Doctor Who and talking a lot of poo poo about Star Trek, not surprisingly).

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm from the US and was born during the 5th Doctor's run and never really got exposed to the show until the reboot although I had seen snippets on PBS when I was a kid.

I thought Tom Baker was literally the only Doctor from the first incarnation of the show until I actually started watching it. His run seemed to get far more exposure over here than the guys who came after him.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 6, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ms Boods posted:

That series has an amazingly grumpy introduction by Harlan Ellison (praising Doctor Who and talking a lot of poo poo about Star Trek, not surprisingly).

There's nothing that Harlan Ellison does that isn't amazingly grumpy.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Random Stranger posted:

There's nothing that Harlan Ellison does that isn't amazingly grumpy.

I realised even as I was writing it, 'Certain elements of this sentence are redundant.'

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Deep-Breath-DVD/dp/B00MHP5Q14/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1410016883&sr=8-23&keywords=doctor+who

Imagine getting this for Christmas

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Doctor Who is back, and with the best writing since 2005!

This episode tackles the idea of regeneration perfectly. "The Christmas Invasion" gave us nothing more than some whining and a sudden heroic ending, while "The End of Time" set us up with the idea that the Doctor was dying, then "The Eleventh Hour" seemed to act like a complete reboot, making the transition from Tenth Doctor to Eleventh Doctor very difficult for many people. "Deep Breath", however, guided us through the eyes of companion Clara Oswald into the new era of the series.
Clara Oswald feels most comfortable when she is in control of her immediate situation, however with the Doctor having changed drastically and with Clara far from home, she has lost all control over the situation and has lost sight of who the Doctor is. As the narrative tries to teach Clara that the crazy grey-haired man she finds herself with is, in fact, the same baby-faced floppy-haired daddy-longlegs she met in 'The Bells of St. John', the audience, too, is reassured of the Doctor's identity. The plot itself widens out to deal with a series of mysterious murders in the heart of Victorian London, and the return of the "Paternoster Gang".
Returning characters Jenny and Madame Vastra, an inter-racial wife-and-wife couple who share Doctor Who's first ever female-female kiss in this episode, and their alien butler Strax find themselves being written better than ever before. In fact, Clara too seems to bloom better and brighter than ever before in this episode. Even Strax, mostly a comic-relief character, comes across as a much more believable character. Writer Steven Moffat seems to have greatly improved on his past faults and found his feet when it comes to writing these characters, whose foundations were initially laid in the previous series.
The episode was quite funny. While humour is not the main focus of Doctor Who, I personally feel that comedy is important when writing a show about a 2000-year-old space alien bumming around the universe in a flying police telephone box, because if you take that premise too seriously, you set yourself up for ridicule. Comedy is also a very welcome form of entertainment in these somewhat difficult, cynical times. For the long-time viewer and all-around nerd, there were plenty of references to the past. These felt natural enough, and lent some continuity and familiarity to the episode.
This episode, while the first episode of the new series, relies on the viewer to already have some familiarity with Doctor Who and I would not recommend it as a starting point for new viewers.

Five Stars.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

End racism against space lizards

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

quote:

Oh and if the woman who welcomes droids to heaven turns out to be
a villain from the shows classic era, then we can all take an educated guess
at what missing stories are to be returned and then sold to us.

You what, does he think she's Sara Kingdom or something

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Ms Boods posted:

That essay is a great snapshot of the reaction from the "old guard" (well, New Wave in this case) to the sudden popularity of mainstream sci-fi in the late 70s: Star Trek and especially Star Wars are stupid and will make you stupid. I remember something about the latter "turning your brain into a mush the consistency of bat guano", but it's been a while and I gave my copies away.

It's one reason I snigger at the whole "triumph of geek culture" thing you hear every time a Marvel movie blows up the box office.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

:pray:

I want to see the extra-long, "big" budget Dalek serials more than anything...

Look at the size of that set!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Have they actually confirmed that Coleman is planning to leave at the end of the season? I'd totally believe it except that I don't think we've seen a reliable source say so. It would be a shame for her to depart just as she starts getting some characterization but I am also always excited for new blood. :getin:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well, Philip Morris recently claimed that Stephen Moffat was "leaked" (against Morris's will) knowledge of the then-impending return of The Web of Fear early enough that Moffat actually did bring in the Great Intelligence in response.

Which implies that Web was found at least as early as Summer 2012, which only raises further suspicions and questions about the whole situation.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's at once hard to believe that there can be some kind of a petty feud that involves a hostage situation with lost tapes and the current showrunner and also the easiest thing in the world to believe.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, Philip Morris recently claimed that Stephen Moffat was "leaked" (against Morris's will) knowledge of the then-impending return of The Web of Fear early enough that Moffat actually did bring in the Great Intelligence in response.

Which implies that Web was found at least as early as Summer 2012, which only raises further suspicions and questions about the whole situation.

Confirmed, Missy is Mavic Chen the Meddling Monk! :dance:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

It's at once hard to believe that there can be some kind of a petty feud that involves a hostage situation with lost tapes and the current showrunner and also the easiest thing in the world to believe.

loving Doctor Who fans, man. :negative:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

After The War posted:

Confirmed, Missy is [strike]Mavic Chen[/strike] the Meddling Monk! :dance:

She's obviously the Terrible Zodin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Look what came today: