Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well you could at least tell us which ones :colbert:.

Oh, and GundamGuy has a review up of the Nightingale

HG Forbidden Gundam remaster
HG MS08 Custom Gouf
HG Cherudim Gundam
HG 00 Rasier + GN Sword 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Yeah, I really don't like that. I love the big bulky Double Zeta too much.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

OH MY GOOOOOO- it's the really ugly slim redesign I don't like at all. :geno:

Yeah I'll pass.

I kinda dig it to be honest. I do admit it's weird they went for THAT resin ZZ when there's 2-3 others that actually retain ZZ's traditional bulk.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Backlogs, is it? I'm not in a location where I can get a picture, but:

HG Bearguy-san
HG Cherudim
SD 00 Gundam
SD Full Armor Unicorn (in progress)
MG Build Strike Full Package (plus the booster thing)
MG Exia Ignition Mode
MG Exia Repair II
MG Wing Proto Zero
RG Strike Freedom

Oh yeah, and NG 1/144 Gundams Wing, Deathscythe, and Sandrock. :v:

The R-II was what started this entire thing for me, too.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

The Muffinlord posted:

Well then sell some to us you dweeb

I've tried. Surprisingly enough, there's no demand for partially built 30-year-old crap and '90s vintage SD kits, which make up about 90% of what I'd still like to get rid of.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Not pictured the RG Gundam MK.II and Thunderbolt Zaku II in my HLJ warehouse.

I've started on that Reborns half a dozen times and never finished it because I keep thinking I'm going to gently caress it up, so I should wait and finish it once I've had more practice.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Well I got the Soulgain that was on sale last week/two weeks ago and built it today. It looks nice but the shoulder connectors are just the worst loving thing. Try to adjust it even a little bit and the arms plop right off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You guys really need help if your backlogs are that deep.

But I'm not going to be the one to give it to you, as I picked up a few things myself today. Got lucky with a trip to my local hobby shop to find they had both a Valuable Pod and a Gunpla Starter Set Vol 2 (A G30th Edition RX-78-02 with a lining pen), something I've been hunting for for ages. The VP was actually a surprising find as their "new-release" stock is usual not more recent than about 2-3 months ago, and they're taking preorders for the upcoming Build Fighters Tri and G-Reco kits, so it looks like they're catching up to Japan's release dates. Pray for me :shepspends:.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Bimmi posted:

I've tried. Surprisingly enough, there's no demand for partially built 30-year-old crap and '90s vintage SD kits, which make up about 90% of what I'd still like to get rid of.

If you've got a partially built Super Gundam I'd be game for that. I'd like a Dendrobium-like gun for my GP-03, and that looks the best.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I don't own that many kits but I did clean up my backlog in the last year or so; I only had 3 kits to do but still.

I did buy HGUC Banshee Norn Destory Mode + Banshee Head display stand
I am planning a order around march though (1/100RE gp04 come to me :swoon:) and ill likely treat myself to a few kits for xmas.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I've started using gundam markers in lieu of fighting with tiny mono color stickers, sometimes not so tiny when I can tell that they are just going to come off, fist wrappers etc. I notice, and this is probably due to my technique, that there is a decent amount of pooling on bigger pieces. How can I avoid that ? They come out decent enough if uneven.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

madpanda posted:

I've started using gundam markers in lieu of fighting with tiny mono color stickers, sometimes not so tiny when I can tell that they are just going to come off, fist wrappers etc. I notice, and this is probably due to my technique, that there is a decent amount of pooling on bigger pieces. How can I avoid that ? They come out decent enough if uneven.

Gundam Markers are just terrible dogshit. Use a small brush + paint for the tiny parts.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

madpanda posted:

Popehoist is right, get a small brush and some paints. But until then try painting the part from below, that will minimize the amount of paint that comes out. Also use multiple light coats, etc.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I just want a good 1/100 ZZ. :(

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
ZZ's 30th anno (gently caress I'M OLD) is coming up pretty soon, wouldn't be surprised at all if it's next year's ver.Ka,

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Bimmi posted:

ZZ's 30th anno (gently caress I'M OLD) is coming up pretty soon, wouldn't be surprised at all if it's next year's ver.Ka,
That would be cool. This might be heresy but I'd almost prefer a partsformer to keep structural integrity better.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Popehoist posted:

Gundam Markers are just terrible dogshit. Use a small brush + paint for the tiny parts.

Pretty much what I figured, i guess I can use the markers as extra paint at least. They do fine for coloring in sights/very small areas, once you get to anything bigger though...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Bimmi posted:

Okay, so not getting an MG ZZ would be a good idea. With my luck, the second I buy one, they'll announce a 2.0 or ver ka a month after.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Okay, so not getting an MG ZZ would be a good idea. With my luck, the second I buy one, they'll announce a 2.0 or ver ka a month after.

Someone in the thread has to buy one to trigger the cutscene announcement of the updated kit.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I'm getting the feeling I won't be getting a replacement antenna for the RX-78-2 Evolve 15. So I'm gonna do something stupid. I'll be getting Grey Stuff (edit: actually it's something else) epoxy and will attempt to make a replacement piece sans spiky antennae. I'm not a fan of those anyway. Wish me luck!

Ledenko fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 6, 2014

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Whoever linked that cheap Soulgain, thanks. It came in the mail today, I was expecting a crap model and instead it's the cool $50+ one.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
HGUC Zeta Plus is really cool, I just wish HLJ had emailed me sooner to tell me that it was all set at after the recall, instead of having to email and ask near the end of its private warehouse lifetime

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Ledenko posted:

I'm getting the feeling I won't be getting a replacement antenna for the RX-78-2 Evolve 15. So I'm gonna do something stupid. I'll be getting Grey Stuff (edit: actually it's something else) epoxy and will attempt to make a replacement piece sans spiky antennae. I'm not a fan of those anyway. Wish me luck!

Will one of these not work?

Edit: Eh, didn't read all the way to the end of your post. Good luck, dude.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Any tips for using plastic cement? Should I be just holding pieces together and go down the seam line or open them alittle and cement in the seam line. Planning on practicing on some cut up runners first before trying actual parts. I also shaved pegs and bored some of the holes inside parts for easy disassembly, do I need to cement those as well?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Any tips for using plastic cement? Should I be just holding pieces together and go down the seam line or open them alittle and cement in the seam line. Planning on practicing on some cut up runners first before trying actual parts. I also shaved pegs and bored some of the holes inside parts for easy disassembly, do I need to cement those as well?

You can do it either way. I usually put it on the mating surfaces when the interface is fairly wide and paint the seam when it's not. Keeping the cement on the mating surface means less mess on the outside since the cement melts the plastic it contacts.

If you shaved pegs you might put a dab on them too, since they're designed to be the structural support.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tenzarin posted:

You want to put the cement on any surfaces that will come in contact with each other and then hold the surfaces against each other for a minute or so. After that leave the part for a while to let the weld cure, then you clean up the surface with a hobby knife/sandpaper/files.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
how in the sweet gently caress do you get the sazabi to actually hold its rifles? Every time I try it looks like the wrists are just too shallow and the butt of the rifle is hitting the forearm.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

slightpirate posted:

how in the sweet gently caress do you get the sazabi to actually hold its rifles? Every time I try it looks like the wrists are just too shallow and the butt of the rifle is hitting the forearm.

If you mean the normal beam rifle, you have to tilt the wrist so that the stock is on the inside of Sazabi's arm. For the long rifle, the only feasible way to pull that off is to two-hand it with the rifle going across Sazabi's chest.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

IT IS mostly FINISHED.

All I need to do is paint the orange psychoframe like I did the V-Fin, since I found the right color combination to get the right shade, but I'm holding off on that for a bit.

I also finished the Phenex, which was a build that the universe straight up did not want me to finish. Parts were warped/cracked, some pieces were missing, (the crest is straight up gone for some reason), and the expected extra finish troubles combined with the general MG Unicorn jankiness made for a hell of a struggle, but it looks good for now. I'll get to repainting it a more reasonable gold in the future, but I need to do a parts order first to replace the broken crap because apparently play-asia manhandles their kits.

Damned if it isn't an impressively shiny bastard though.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

S-Alpha posted:

IT IS mostly FINISHED.

All I need to do is paint the orange psychoframe like I did the V-Fin, since I found the right color combination to get the right shade, but I'm holding off on that for a bit.

I also finished the Phenex, which was a build that the universe straight up did not want me to finish. Parts were warped/cracked, some pieces were missing, (the crest is straight up gone for some reason), and the expected extra finish troubles combined with the general MG Unicorn jankiness made for a hell of a struggle, but it looks good for now. I'll get to repainting it a more reasonable gold in the future, but I need to do a parts order first to replace the broken crap because apparently play-asia manhandles their kits.

Damned if it isn't an impressively shiny bastard though.

looks great you literal crazy person

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i was hype that the zeta plus A1 hguc looks like it's ready for anything and everything up to a loving hummingbird release, but that's probably more impressive

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

S-Alpha posted:

IT IS mostly FINISHED.

Hahaha, jesus man, don't you think you went a little overboard on the decals for the Banshee's Armed Armors? The gun is practically a candy cane. :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

There is no such thing as going overboard on decals. My only limit is the amount I'm willing to spend on waterslides.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Tenzarin posted:

I will generally brush cement on the mating surfaces of both parts, wait a few seconds, and then repeat so that the surfaces look/are wet. I like to see a little bead of melted plastic squish up when the parts are pressed together: it means the seam will be mostly if not completely filled when the weld cures, lessening the need for any extra fillers and ensuring a strong bond.

I dislike using the capillary action method, which I find messy, uncontrollable, and flat-out ineffective. The drawback to my method is that the join may take a long time to fully cure if you're overly-liberal with the cement application.

Using clamps or tape to hold parts together is not something I've really had to do with Bandai kits. Pressing the parts firmly together for 30-60 seconds is usually sufficient.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 7, 2014

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
On a whim I picked up one of the MSN-001A1 Delta Plus boxes at aus comiccon yesterday, what can I say I loving love transformers. First actual gundam that's not a tiny guntank.

Holy crap this thing is awesome.

I'm sure I'll be able to stop at one.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cassa posted:

Sure you will. That's what we all said. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cassa posted:

You poor fool :shepspends:.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

ahaha this fuckin person.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Out of general curiosity, with the release of the new Next Generation Patlabor kit that's just come out, do you think there is any chance Bandai might decide to release a new version of the old-school AV-98 Ingram based off it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Out of general curiosity, with the release of the new Next Generation Patlabor kit that's just come out, do you think there is any chance Bandai might decide to release a new version of the old-school AV-98 Ingram based off it?

With Bandai, who the hell really knows? Personal opinion though - probably not.

• Locked thread