Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
South Park: Stick of Truth: The abortion QTE with Randy is horrible. The first part will simply decide to not read your inputs sometimes and I'm pretty close to convinced that the second section is near impossible. I literally can not spin the control stick any faster, I'm putting my palm on it and spinning it to the point where my palm hurts and I STILL can't do it. Holy poo poo why on earth would you make a joke QTE section this absurdly difficult?

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm a few hours into Dragon's Dogma and the combat system is really good- you can jump around, pick up and throw enemies, even climb onto the bigger ones- but holy crap is there a lot of it. I don't think I've gone more than a minute without getting piled on by bandits, wolves, goblins, harpies, or a mix of two or more types at once. I successfully ambushed a Bandit camp, and then a pack of wolves swarmed me, and in the process of fighting them I managed to aggro another Bandit camp 50 feet away. I don't know if I'm going to be able to get through this game if it's this same level of constant, grueling combat the whole way through. Hopefully now that I've reached Gran Soren things will calm down for a while.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

2house2fly posted:

I'm a few hours into Dragon's Dogma and the combat system is really good- you can jump around, pick up and throw enemies, even climb onto the bigger ones- but holy crap is there a lot of it. I don't think I've gone more than a minute without getting piled on by bandits, wolves, goblins, harpies, or a mix of two or more types at once. I successfully ambushed a Bandit camp, and then a pack of wolves swarmed me, and in the process of fighting them I managed to aggro another Bandit camp 50 feet away. I don't know if I'm going to be able to get through this game if it's this same level of constant, grueling combat the whole way through. Hopefully now that I've reached Gran Soren things will calm down for a while.
Yeah, it's ridiculous, especially at night (where you'll kill a dozen wolves for every 10 feet you travel).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

U.T. Raptor posted:

Yeah, it's ridiculous, especially at night (where you'll kill a dozen wolves for every 10 feet you travel).
You were warned, motherfucker. Your pawn told you, over and over and over. Wolves hunt in packs. They hunt in packs, Arisen. Wolves!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I just wish I knew what they were weak against!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The bathhouse level in Chaos Theory. The early sections are great and then the action ramps up in a game with really lovely shooting mechanics. Also I never tried it before until this level but why bother offering an assault loadout if you're gonna grade against that playstyle?

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

2house2fly posted:

I just wish I knew what they were weak against!

I think I've heard it's fire, but I have no proof of that.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

2house2fly posted:

Things don't really calm down but they at least shake things up with different enemies that require different strategies to beat them.

And trust me, your pawns will tell you all about what those different strategies might be :v:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The endgame in Wildstar is too drat hard. I thought all that "hardcores only!" hype was just big talk, but no, it was actually true. I'd bet the majority of their potential player base doesn't consider that a good thing. I haven't played an MMO endgame since WOW TBC, but for reference the max level dungeons in Wildstar are tougher than most TBC heroics, and they gate the rest of the PVE endgame content that isn't just grinding dailies indefinitely.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

The endgame in Wildstar is too drat hard. I thought all that "hardcores only!" hype was just big talk, but no, it was actually true. I'd bet the majority of their potential player base doesn't consider that a good thing. I haven't played an MMO endgame since WOW TBC, but for reference the max level dungeons in Wildstar are tougher than most TBC heroics, and they gate the rest of the PVE endgame content that isn't just grinding dailies indefinitely.

Ah TBC, what a shitfest of an expansion that was that survived simply because it was WoW. Levels 60-70 are still insufferable even with immediate access to flying mounts.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PJOmega posted:

Ah TBC, what a shitfest of an expansion that was that survived simply because it was WoW. Levels 60-70 are still insufferable even with immediate access to flying mounts.

I hear people say it's the worst part of leveling up a new character these days, but at the time the general feeling was that it was a big step up :shrug:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

I hear people say it's the worst part of leveling up a new character these days, but at the time the general feeling was that it was a big step up :shrug:

It was an improvement over vanilla WoW leveling at the time. That still didn't make it that great.

And the stupid endgame reputation grinds were the most idiotic timesinks in the game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

PJOmega posted:

At the time, TBC was a huge improvement on WoW. The end of 40-man raiding made max-level PvE vastly more accessible, the introduction of dailies made getting money a lot easier as well laying the foundation for the contemporary approach to faction rep grinding (and admittedly MoP's Dailygeddon), and the quest structure was significantly improved and made more interesting. It sucks now because everything TBC did has been massively improved on but at the time it was way, way better than vanilla WoW (and basically every MMO released before and since).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I played classic and quit shortly after TBC came out. It was a slog of poorly designed quests that would task you with delivering a message from one side of a zone to the other simply to immediately be given a message to go back to the original quest giver. I sure hope you had your hearthstone off cooldown!

As for the end of 40-mans, yes that was nice but it had nothing to do with the TBC zones themselves. The zones were (with 2 exceptions) bland and overly huge. The size was because they understood how many people would be funneling into these zones, and at release they were still overly full. Now the zones could be shrunk 30-40% and nothing of value would be lost.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Moon Monster posted:

Wildstar was made by them original WoW devs, most of the TBC team if I'm not mistaken as well, the entire marketing for it was the MMO for the "hardcore" crowd much to the chagrin of literally everything else, its a game for the people that use the term "welfare epics" without a hint of irony, they've actually made the attunement slightly easier but its still a huge slog.

Its also made MUCH harder by the fact that the population is so tiny so its rare to see anyone around.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's almost like 'dumbing down' a game leads to a larger playerbase.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Taerkar posted:

It's almost like 'dumbing down' a game leads to a larger playerbase.

But those are casuals, they will ruin my game experience and make this purple sword I mindlessly grinded for worth less.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Celery Face posted:

Eternal Sonata is a fun game but hoo boy, if there's one thing I can't stand in games, it's not having any checkpoints. It's such bullshit to have to start over from where you last saved just because you got ambushed or whatever (and save points are rather far apart in Eternal Sonata).

Eternal Sonata is also the only game I skip the cutscenes for because it has some of the preachiest, dumbest dialog I've ever heard. The characters have really annoying voices too.

Isn't that the one that ends with a giant monologue about how you should have just gone outside?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

There's an image floating around which has a list of all the things you need to do for Wildstar endgame and it's just stupid long.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

muscles like this? posted:

There's an image floating around which has a list of all the things you need to do for Wildstar endgame and it's just stupid long.

Unsurprisingly, it's reminiscent of this TBC attunement chart

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to add that WS has also been plagued by numerous bugs, everytime the devs "fix" something they break like 10 others, my favorite so far is guild leaders(just the leader) having their entire attunemment wiped, Carbine's answer to this lovely bug? "Roll and alt and do it again".

And holy poo poo that TBC chart, is that for real?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
That chart is real. Blizzard patched out attunements before the next expansion came out due to the complaints.

Which is when most of the filthy casual welfare epic nonsense started.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Alteisen posted:

I'd like to add that WS has also been plagued by numerous bugs, everytime the devs "fix" something they break like 10 others, my favorite so far is guild leaders(just the leader) having their entire attunemment wiped, Carbine's answer to this lovely bug? "Roll and alt and do it again".

Yea, mmos are poo poo, but it's made a little better by the fact you'd probably do most of the black ones just reaching the level cap.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alteisen posted:

I didn't start raiding until after TBC launched, and it made me quit the game forever, thank god.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It doesn't seem that bad - if the veteran whatevers are the actual endgame itself. It's just a more structured approach than being able to do every raid from the get go, which escalating difficulty would usually make impossible anyway.

That said there's a ton of grindy looking poo poo thrown in there. And if that's just attunement, then :suicide:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Isn't that the one that ends with a giant monologue about how you should have just gone outside?
Do you mean the part with the caterpillar and the snail? Because I have no idea what the gently caress that had to do with anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NkrX_h6Rms

The credits scene is ridiculous too. Normally I don't mind when things get preachy but that was just too much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I8w2e8mbq8

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Sep 6, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strategic Tea posted:

It doesn't seem that bad - if the veteran whatevers are the actual endgame itself. It's just a more structured approach than being able to do every raid from the get go, which escalating difficulty would usually make impossible anyway.

That said there's a ton of grindy looking poo poo thrown in there. And if that's just attunement, then :suicide:

Here's the thing though, doing attunment doesn't mean you're actually good at the game, just means you're good at doing pointless grindy poo poo, the only way to know if you'll be good at a raid is to actually do a raid.

I know that borders dangerously on sounding like an elitist jerk but its not my intent.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I liked the look of the TBC zones but they are definitely too big.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Celery Face posted:

Do you mean the part with the caterpillar and the snail? Because I have no idea what the gently caress that had to do with anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NkrX_h6Rms

The credits scene is ridiculous too. Normally I don't mind when things get preachy but that was just too much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I8w2e8mbq8

Nah, I think I just forgot what it was the game was going on about. It was pretty ridiculous though. Especially the twenty minute death scene. :v:

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

OldTennisCourt posted:

South Park: Stick of Truth: The abortion QTE with Randy is horrible. The first part will simply decide to not read your inputs sometimes and I'm pretty close to convinced that the second section is near impossible. I literally can not spin the control stick any faster, I'm putting my palm on it and spinning it to the point where my palm hurts and I STILL can't do it. Holy poo poo why on earth would you make a joke QTE section this absurdly difficult?

I'm a guy that actually likes QTEs in most games, but Stick of Truth did a really poo poo job with them. I can never decide when exactly it wants me to input it or at what speed. I spent 15 minutes farting at Randy in the bathroom once. Got so sick of hearing "Kee-yah!"

I recently picked up Dust: An Elysian Tale. It's a great 2D brawler/rpg/metroidvania; but the combat is too easy. Even on max difficulty, nothing is hard to kill. Further, they increased the difficulty in the worst way, so on the higher difficulties you can die in one or two hits by most things. The controls are so fast and responsive, it's just a bummer that none of the enemies are at all challenging in a fulfilling way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The entire fart mechanic in Stick of Truth was kind of stupid and pointless.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Action Tortoise posted:

The bathhouse level in Chaos Theory. The early sections are great and then the action ramps up in a game with really lovely shooting mechanics. Also I never tried it before until this level but why bother offering an assault loadout if you're gonna grade against that playstyle?

I completely agree, the part where you suddenly have to run around this well-lit area unlocking several doors quickly before a timer runs out, armed guards everywhere, almost drove me completely insane. Few parts in games have frustrated me more than that.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Skyrim is bullshit for melee characters. If you get hit, and the guy knocks off a quarter of your life max, he shouldn't be able to sync-kill you from 50% health to 0. I one-shot every other enemy in the goddamn dungeon, but the Bandit Lord Godzilla rear end in a top hat is like 10 levels too high, no matter what. So what do you do? Well, you have to exploit the game.

If you try to block or something, the game doesn't give a poo poo and calculates the difference between "just getting hit" and "he lifts you up with his sword and you have to watch yourself die" without factoring in block. So you can just run away, or pathfind around a pillar or something, and heal up but that doesn't feel like a real fight anymore.

So your only real option is to just abuse the very easily exploited smithing/alchemy/enchanting system. But that turns into sperg mode in a hurry, since you're either artificially holding yourself back to make the game still challenging or you're just going balls to the wall with that bitch and unleashing some sick autismal min/max wizardry. Your options as a melee character are to be either a gimp or a god with smithing and it's really dumb.

Bethesda does not do balance. At least in F:NV, jsawyer mod or not, you don't have to exploit the game to beat enemies. Everything you do seems pretty fair within the game's mechanics.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm a guy that actually likes QTEs in most games, but Stick of Truth did a really poo poo job with them. I can never decide when exactly it wants me to input it or at what speed. I spent 15 minutes farting at Randy in the bathroom once. Got so sick of hearing "Kee-yah!"

I was okay with most QTEs, like the spoilered one in the post you responded to didn't bother me, I think one of the fart tutorials (may have even been the first one) tripped me up because the directions were poorly explained but I was okay once I figured out what exactly it was asking me to do.

What fucks me up, somehow, are the ones that are just mashing a button. I never successfully pooped on a toilet because somehow I could never make "press A a bunch really fast" happen to the game's satisfaction. I had to redo the probe scene an absurd number of times because the game wasn't happy with my button-mashing speed, and let me tell you that scene becomes really uncomfortable after watching it for like 10 minutes. In the Cartman boss fight where you and he both fire farts at each other and you have to mash A to overpower his, I just gave up and let it hit me every time it happened because all my button-mashing did was wear my thumb out.

I have never had this issue with any other game, using the same controller and everything. No idea what causes it and I haven't seen anyone else complain about it :iiam:.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Skyrim is bullshit for melee characters. If you get hit, and the guy knocks off a quarter of your life max, he shouldn't be able to sync-kill you from 50% health to 0. I one-shot every other enemy in the goddamn dungeon, but the Bandit Lord Godzilla rear end in a top hat is like 10 levels too high, no matter what. So what do you do? Well, you have to exploit the game.

If you try to block or something, the game doesn't give a poo poo and calculates the difference between "just getting hit" and "he lifts you up with his sword and you have to watch yourself die" without factoring in block. So you can just run away, or pathfind around a pillar or something, and heal up but that doesn't feel like a real fight anymore.

So your only real option is to just abuse the very easily exploited smithing/alchemy/enchanting system. But that turns into sperg mode in a hurry, since you're either artificially holding yourself back to make the game still challenging or you're just going balls to the wall with that bitch and unleashing some sick autismal min/max wizardry. Your options as a melee character are to be either a gimp or a god with smithing and it's really dumb.

Bethesda does not do balance. At least in F:NV, jsawyer mod or not, you don't have to exploit the game to beat enemies. Everything you do seems pretty fair within the game's mechanics.

I usually stick with bows for these reasons. I'm not a fan of the sync-kill system, and if nobody gets close enough to trigger one, I never have to see the animation. If I do decide to play a melee character, I usually skip the spergy bits of smithing/enchanting/alchemy and just get "good enough" at making poisons. If some fucker runs up on me with the +10 greatsword of fuckery and I think a dumb sync-kill animation is in my future, I stick a stamina or a paralyze poison on my weapon to even things out.

Plus, I never get tired of seeing idiots get paralyzed--they just lock up and slowly fall over like statues :dance:

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Most of it, yes. It abbreviates soloable parts of the questlines, many of the low-level locks could be bypassed by a rogue, and it was made before the Black Temple was patched in. Getting in there requires killing a boss in Serpentshrine Cavern, an another in Tempest Keep and one in Hyjal. Sunwell did not have any attunement, but you would not get far without Black Temple gear.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Captain Lavender posted:

I recently picked up Dust: An Elysian Tale. It's a great 2D brawler/rpg/metroidvania; but the combat is too easy. Even on max difficulty, nothing is hard to kill. Further, they increased the difficulty in the worst way, so on the higher difficulties you can die in one or two hits by most things. The controls are so fast and responsive, it's just a bummer that none of the enemies are at all challenging in a fulfilling way.

If you avoid using Fidget's spells combined with Dust Storm it's actually fairly challenging. It sucks to not be able to use your best abilities but hey, a lot of Metroidvanias are like that. (see Castlevania SOTN)

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Skyrim is bullshit for mages too. The combat turns into you stunlocking the enemy and doing about 1 hp (or so it feels) in damage with your destruction spells, and there's no challenge or fun to be had whatsoever. The damage part spells is way too weak but the stunlock part is way too strong, so you always win without effort against enemies that can be stunned and get destroyed by ones that can't.

Thoughtless has a new favorite as of 15:37 on Sep 7, 2014

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Thoughtless posted:

Skyrim is bullshit

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I was okay with most QTEs, like the spoilered one in the post you responded to didn't bother me, I think one of the fart tutorials (may have even been the first one) tripped me up because the directions were poorly explained but I was okay once I figured out what exactly it was asking me to do.

What fucks me up, somehow, are the ones that are just mashing a button. I never successfully pooped on a toilet because somehow I could never make "press A a bunch really fast" happen to the game's satisfaction. I had to redo the probe scene an absurd number of times because the game wasn't happy with my button-mashing speed, and let me tell you that scene becomes really uncomfortable after watching it for like 10 minutes. In the Cartman boss fight where you and he both fire farts at each other and you have to mash A to overpower his, I just gave up and let it hit me every time it happened because all my button-mashing did was wear my thumb out.

I have never had this issue with any other game, using the same controller and everything. No idea what causes it and I haven't seen anyone else complain about it :iiam:.

I had enough trouble with that QTE that I had to search the internet for some sort of solution. The one I found was to mash the A button by rubbing a battery on it quickly, which surprisingly worked. For a game that was pretty laid back and easy in every other way, the QTE's were a terrible step up in difficulty in Stick of Truth. I even turned the difficulty down, hoping that QTE's scaled with it, but no luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jesus. I just got back into Danganronpa and it's amazingly frustrating how stupid the protagonist is. The worst thing I've seen so far is a choice where you decide whether or not to tell Kyoko about the mastermind's spy. There is NO REASON AT ALL not to, based on what you already know about the characters - it's not like Kyoko is going to fly off the handle and start throwing around accusations without figuring out what's going on. But if you choose to talk about it, the game pulls a "But thou must!" and forces you to repeat the decision until you make the choice that under the circumstances makes almost NO sense.

The whole game falls into this really bizarre category for me where I have to admit that I'm not really enjoying what I'm playing most of the time, but the plot is just barely enticing enough for me to keep going for some kind of payoff at the end. The Class Trials are fun (even if they would be better with more options to play around with and more dynamic scenarios) but everything leading up to them drags on forever.

I guess the biggest issue for me is it's not Zero Escape 3, and we'll probably never get a conclusion to that trilogy. :(

Thoughtless posted:

Skyrim is bullshit for mages too. The combat turns into you stunlocking the enemy and doing about 1 hp (or so it feels) in damage with your destruction spells, and there's no challenge or fun to be had whatsoever. The damage part spells is way too weak but the stunlock part is way too strong, so you always win without effort against enemies that can be stunned and get destroyed by ones that can't.

I remember the magazine article that I read that first mentioned they were adding additional non-damage effects to the Destruction spell elements. My first reaction was "oh, that's awesome", but my second reaction about 20s later was "wait that is going to be a clusterfuck and everything but the stunlock will be pretty much useless." Fortunately TES games have never been about 'balance'.