Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Except if Ixt gets hammered, will 50 die immediately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Nah. If Ixt gets "hammered" nothing happens. What matters is the two vote leaders at the end of the day. That's why it's crucial that everybody is voting.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Juanito posted:

Except if Ixt gets hammered, will 50 die immediately?

The rules op says two vote leaders at the deadline, I don't think we can hammer.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
3) Double Plurality: the two players with the highest number of votes for them at deadline are lynched. In the case of ties, the players that reached the vote number threshold first are lynched first.

Reaching +50% majority of votes does not trigger anything today. The votes as they stand at deadline determine which two players will die.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
##vote Ixt

sorry don't mind me, it's saturday and I'm tired

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I'm not feeling fifty. This is typical play for him, scum or town.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
I dug through the VoteFinder and determined that 50 has never played any game with me in which I was Scum (at least since the dawn of the VoteFinder era). For what it's worth.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Puntification posted:

I never said your vote was easy, I said it was lazy (you don't bother providing any reasoning so we can't judge the intent behind the vote and I don't like that) also opportunistic, a quasi-jokevote and bandwagonning. I have previously agreed with AFP's point when he said meinberg is someone easy to kill perhaps you confused the two points?
Is a bandwagon inherently scummy? Posting reasons for a vote is meant to attempt to convince others. Is it not possible that I meant to vote what I believed without feeling as though my opinion was more valuable than anyone elses? In what way is it opportunistic? Did he get lynched over it, did it put me in a strategically sound position?

quote:

I pointed out numerous things I didn't like about how you've been playing and what you've done so I am not simply voting you for a bad vote, I also provided my reasons and was maybe the second person to vote you so can't really be accused of bandwagonning you either so the votes are not really similar as far as I'm concerned, someone might argue it's an easy vote cos you seem really scummy I guess though!
You don't like how I play mafia in that you believe I should be over-analyzing everyones play to invent "content". I argue that this premise is false, as forced content is less useful than organic content, and I am not skilled at forcing content. I choose to wait for more organic content to reveal cases for me. Bandwagoning has nothing to do with your vote, your vote is bad because it has very little critical thought put into it, it relies entirely on surface logic which is entirely dependent on me acting as a "textbook" mafia player. I am not a "textbook" mafia player, so the premise of your argument falls short. I assume

quote:

I also didn't accuse you of trying to seem active, that was part of my explanation of why scum like set up speculation because it's a good way of doing stuff in the thread without contributing to scumhunting, I'm aware you're not trying to appear active but you are primarily posting about anything other than scum hunting or reads, which I find suspicious.
That's odd, I told you why it isn't scummy.

quote:

Lack of effort is not always a scumtell it's true but nothing you've said has been particularly convincing so I'm happy where my vote is.
Sure.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

I'm not feeling fifty. This is typical play for him, scum or town.

This is not typical play for Keane

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

JakeP posted:

This is not typical play for Keane

I'm inclined to agree, but can you explain why?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

50 pounds of bread posted:

Is a bandwagon inherently scummy? Posting reasons for a vote is meant to attempt to convince others. Is it not possible that I meant to vote what I believed without feeling as though my opinion was more valuable than anyone elses? In what way is it opportunistic? Did he get lynched over it, did it put me in a strategically sound position?
I think Bandwagons almost always contain scum so they can be yes. It's got nothing to do with your opinion being any more or less valuable than anyone elses it's about actually giving it so we have something to judge you/your alignment on. Dropping a vote on the, at the time, vote leader without adding anything to the discussion, isn't opportunistic in your opinion? People won't get lynched until the deadline so that question is irrelevant. I'd guess you didn't forsee people turning on you over that vote so it may have seemed like a good idea at the time?

You don't like how I play mafia in that you believe I should be over-analyzing everyones play to invent "content". I argue that this premise is false, as forced content is less useful than organic content, and I am not skilled at forcing content. I choose to wait for more organic content to reveal cases for me. Bandwagoning has nothing to do with your vote, your vote is bad because it has very little critical thought put into it, it relies entirely on surface logic which is entirely dependent on me acting as a "textbook" mafia player. I am not a "textbook" mafia player, so the premise of your argument falls short. I assume

No I think people should post their opinions of other players and explain their votes that's pretty much it, also if they are town they should be aware that inactivity can be interpreted as a scummy unwillingness to engage/play and avoid misleading other town players by acting accordingly. People waiting for "organic content" whatever the hell that means is effectively doing nothing so yes people should "force" the bloody content especially as we need two lynchees today and we won't get them sitting on our arses hoping for some sort of divine revelation; post opinions, respond to others eventually something useful with come out of it - it's not rocket science. I mentioned bandwagonning there as I wanted to cover all possible meanings of you saying my vote was also easy. As I don't know you as a player I can't use meta so I'm forced to interpret your actions in relation to some set of assumptions/expectations about what a textbook mafia player would/should do, this might be a limitation but I'm not sure what else I can do, I'm not gonna just take your word that you're some mystical mafia oracle and leave you be.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Punt is town as gently caress, wow

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

chaoslord posted:

Mafia edit upon going back to Dwarfia. I thought I remembered Somber pushing on me early game but all it was was "Is chaoslord new?" "His post reads weird to me" which in my second game I freaked out and thought "Oh no someone thinks I'm scum what do I do" and that is what stuck with me.

So Somber, you don't always think I'm scum after all, for whatever that is worth. Looks like you were right.

Do you take away any reads from me on this? How do my earlier responses read now?

I can't decide whether this is you owning up to faking content, the smart play as scum, or just generally getting confused.

Meinberg posted:

I don't have a ton of meta on Somberbrero, but what little I know says that his current behavior is typical. He seems the sort who plays a touch over-aggressive in order to get reactions from people.

Haven't we played in a few games now? Regardless, I've been pretty lame so far this game so I feel like that's not an accurate assessment of my play here.

Rarity posted:

Opinions would be nice.

Also, the reason you gave for not posting content not indicating your alignment was "My lack of personal content is not inherently scummy". Your posts are a whole lot of justifications to explain why you don't need to do anything, you jumped on the Meinberg train with a joke vote and you're generally being obstructive to scum hunting. If you're not scum then you should stop being a twat and actually play some mafia cause right now you're just hurting us.

##vote 50

Is there a reason you put this argument to 50 but not DGK? I feel like DGK has been aggressively, openly useless as opposed to 50 who has honestly put in work.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

anime gently caress pillow posted:

Punt is town as gently caress, wow
my eyes glazed over with his latest post

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Punt, I am glad you are trying here, but you are missing the point.

You are assuming I play this game one way, and voting for me because I do not fit your apparent ideal.

You call my meinberg vote opportunistic, however it was not in a place of momentum, nor significance. Saying, yeah, what lumpen said, probably wouldn't have fulfilled your need for "content" either, but I had nothing to add. I simply agreed, and voted accordingly. The argument that it was opportunistic is incorrect, because there is no opportunity there that was taken advantage of. You are talking about a vote leader who had 1 or 2 votes on him at the time, should we call rarity opportunistic for voting me then? Her argument applies to much more than only me, yet I am the vote leader as we move increasingly towards deadline. Why is my vote opportunistic, yet hers is not?

I actually like your posts and analysis, and think this exchange has given me an opportunity to understand you a bit more. However, your analysis of me is very basic, and shows a lack of understanding of my style of play. I am generally much more cautious as scum, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if I were scum.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

It's actually a good post juanito, but it shows he is still thinking of this game on level 1.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I am thinking about voting for rarity right now, I think somberbrero has a good point, but not for the reason he thinks it's a good point.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Ixtlilton (8): Meinberg, Meinberg, anime gently caress pillow, Pinterest Mom, chaoslord, Meinberg, CapitalistPig, DGK2000, JakeP, JakeP, Somberbrero, Juanito, Juanito, Juanito
50 pounds of bread (4): dorkanoid, Puntification, JakeP, Rarity
Meinberg (2): Puntification, Puntification, Lumpen, 50 pounds of bread, Rarity, Rarity
Lumpen (2): MEDS CURE SCHIZOS, Meinberg, Meinberg, Meinberg, JakeP, Meinberg, CCKeane, CapitalistPig, CapitalistPig, JakeP, JakeP, JakeP
anime gently caress pillow (0): CCKeane, JakeP, CCKeane, CCKeane, JakeP, CCKeane
chaoslord (0): Somberbrero, Somberbrero
CapitalistPig (0): dorkanoid, dorkanoid
MEDS CURE SCHIZOS (0): Puntification, Puntification
DGK2000 (0): Somberbrero, Puntification, Puntification, Somberbrero
Puntification (0): CCKeane, CCKeane
Lynch No One! (0): Lumpen, Lumpen
CCKeane (0): CapitalistPig, CapitalistPig

Not Voting (1): Ixtlilton

With 17 alive, it's 9 votes to lynch. The current deadline is September 07th, 2014 at 9 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 day.

Reminder, raiding parties must be submitted 1 hour before deadline!

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Somberbrero posted:

Haven't we played in a few games now? Regardless, I've been pretty lame so far this game so I feel like that's not an accurate assessment of my play here.

We actually haven't played in any finished games yet, at least not any that have left any sort of lasting impression on me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Somberbrero posted:

Is there a reason you put this argument to 50 but not DGK? I feel like DGK has been aggressively, openly useless as opposed to 50 who has honestly put in work.

Fair point. I spent 2 days of Civ 2 in a googledoc with DGK so I got a good look at his approach to scum hunting. The way he's playing here vibes with my general read on him as a player. In other words, meta.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I spit on meta.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Diqnol, is it true that leaders are unlynchable, or not?

If it is true, Meinberg likely Scumslipped info from a Scum PM.
If it is not true, Meinberg is probably innocent and I would like to move my vote.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I can be lynched. So can Capps.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Here's who I am entirely against lynching right now: Lumpen, 50, Keane, Punt, Juanito

Here's who I don't want to lynch but could live with: Somber, Chaos, Rarity, Meinberg

Anyone else would be cool I think

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

I can be lynched. So can Capps.
Well that invalidates my suspicion of Meinberg. Strongly exculpatory. Did someone explain this earlier and I missed it?
##unvote

This renders 50's me-too on Meinberg much more suspicious.
##vote 50

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I was hoping nobody would bring this up so I could weaponize double plurality later.

Doesn't this imply what I just confirmed, Lumpen?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Well, how about Dorkanoid or Pinterest Mom if not 50?

At least 50 posts.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

dorkanoid posted:

I've not played with them enough to really have a feeling, and every time (since I got back) where I accuse someone of being scummy I get "no no that's just how they play" back :(

That being said, I'm leaning town on Lumpen for now - trying to break the voting system like that doesn't really seem like a scum play.

I'd vote this guy.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I've yet to see what is scummy about Pinterest Mom.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Doesn't this imply what I just confirmed, Lumpen?
That can be interpreted a few ways. My bad.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Lumpen posted:

Well that invalidates my suspicion of Meinberg. Strongly exculpatory. Did someone explain this earlier and I missed it?
##unvote

This renders 50's me-too on Meinberg much more suspicious.
##vote 50

In what way? Doesn't it suggest I didn't have that information either?

In either case, you are right, it does suggest meinberg to be town. ##unvote

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

I've yet to see what is scummy about Pinterest Mom.

I reread the past few pages trying to find anything and I like Pinterest too.

I already went through why dork's reasoning was wrong there but I dunno if I feel strongly that he's scum.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

dorkanoid posted:

It's a lazy "me too!"-vote on Meinberg.

An anti-case I made basically while reading the case/checking the background:

While it says nowhere that the ruler is lynchproof, the rules thread says

which I take to mean there are at least one other way to kill a ruler.

However, given that

and the double plurality possibility I too assumed automatically that the ruler is lynchproof - since an apathetic main lynch could leave 4 votes more than enough to put the ruler at #2.

Between the post I quoted a second ago and this one, I see two thoughts I can't see someone having.

His logic in the first post is that Lumpen is townie for trying to break the voting system. If anything, that would make Lumpen seem scummy to an outsider since it's a dangerous move for the thread ruler and is a lot of fluff that makes it seem like he's contributing. If he had said "the thoughtlessness of it makes him town" I'd get it, but he went a route that doesn't make sense.

In the post above, he claims he understands that it says nowhere that I cannot be lynched and that there are probably multiple ways to kill me, yet still he assumes I'm lynchproof simply because of the number of scum? Further, he uses it to defend Meinberg weakly. It's almost like he sees the Meinberg situation resolving itself and wants to have a stake in being right on both ends. It's non-content, and it's effectively all he has aside from the "lol whoops" when confronted on his defense of Lumpen.

Am I wrong here?

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

I think that seems like a pretty decent point.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'm not too keen on Jake, either. It's not really his inactivity (which I mentioned just to get him to show up) but more that his reads and votes are very ill-explained and would allow him to say "oh well things changed" if anyone were to question his swings. It's also very easy regardless of alignment to say "x is scummy, y is townie" so the explanations would be helpful since the best way to determine an alignment is by looking at their train of thought.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I like the idea of a Somber lynch, by the way, but I also see him as an asset if he's town. He's definitely pinged me but I also have the feeling that scum are floating his name hoping we'll get rid of him before he gets going.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
##vote dorkanoid
Scummier than 50.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

I actually like your posts and analysis, and think this exchange has given me an opportunity to understand you a bit more. However, your analysis of me is very basic, and shows a lack of understanding of my style of play. I am generally much more cautious as scum, we wouldn't even be having this conversation if I were scum.

Well to be fair I have no way of understanding or knowing your style of play before experiencing it, but your willingness to engage with me does in fact make me feel less inclined to continue voting you, I will reread and reassess tomorrow.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

CCKeane posted:

I'm going to stick with my call on Punt. I really think the "two jokers on AFP" is forced and I don't like that one of those TWO WHACKY GUYS was me, who had called out Punt earlier in the thread. I think Punt might be GETTING NERVOUS that the GREAT CCKEANE IS ON THE CASE.

Rarity what do you think about this?

This is really weak and Jake mentioning Keane earlier made me think of it. What a tenuous connection to build off. I don't think that Keane typically bothers to engage day one. That Keane's language intentionally mocks his own case makes me think that this is a great way to look like he's contributing content without adding to the discussion.

CCKeane posted:

Ahahaha, you're a cool dude Punt. I'm still going to vote you, but you're alright.

But, why is Keane still going to vote him? His case sucks and he hints that he is well aware that it sucks.

Earlier, Keane coached Cpig extensively after saying that he always found him scummy. He never really followed up on that. Cpig's response was nothing satisfactory, Keane just dropped it and never mentioned what exactly it was about Capitalist that he found scummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Lumpen posted:

##vote dorkanoid
Scummier than 50.

Would you be willing to expand on that?

• Locked thread