Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Anyway yeah you don't get away with lots of stupid stuff by having a character angrily lampshade it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batsarse
Dec 20, 2002
Come on, admit it. Who here was wishing that it was a validium arrow?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Batsarse posted:

Come on, admit it. Who here was wishing that it was a validium arrow?

Agreed, if there's one story that the revival needs to reference and learn lessons from it's Silver Nemesis

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

That is absolutely amazing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I see we're due for our seasonal dose of Steven Moffat Hates Children next week.

Also all I can really say is good lord was the sound hosed this week or else something is wrong with my sound system because the impending exploding spaceship rumbles kept overpowering the dialogue in that scene.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 6, 2014

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Just yours, and no need for the spoiler tags

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Good to know. I'll troubleshoot that later on, I guess!

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
That poem over the teaser for next week was super creepy.

Still had a reference to the Missy lady, with the Promised Land stuff. I like that season arc kinda stuff, and it is very nice how they have slipped in bits without detracting heavily from the rest of the episode or anything. It's a less hosed eyepatch lady!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I too quite liked the episode. Peasants versus robots was a little wonky and the arrow just touching the spaceship being enough was ridiculous but the other 96% of the episode was just out and out enjoyable. All praise to Capaldi but Robin was great as well and of course whoever it was who came up with the lines for them to speak.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I, for one, am still shocked that they managed to not only to convince Anthony Ainley to come back from the dead to play the Sheriff, but also took the time to update the Xeraphin central chamber set from Timeflight.

The bit at the end about becoming stories and legends makes me want to stick with my longshot theory that Missy is a new Master of the Land of Fiction.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

SimplyCosmic posted:

convince Anthony Ainley to come back from the dead to play the Sheriff

I know, right? God, it's uncanny.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I feel like in the village scene at the start they just dusted off the old sets from the Robin Hood series BBC had a few years back. Looked almost exactly like it.

Crazy Man
Mar 12, 2006

The laws of sanity are mine, and they will obey me!

DoctorWhat posted:

I know, right? God, it's uncanny.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Crazy Man posted:

Glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking that.

I don't know, I quite liked this description:

Tsaedje posted:

Ben Miller as Christopher Guest in the Princess Bride

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tsaedje posted:

Ben Miller as Christopher Guest in the Princess Bride was wonderfully hammy. Supremely silly, but also very entertaining.

Well bloody spotted, that was bugging me and I couldn't remember what I was being reminded of. For me this ep is Capaldi expanding his Doctor further. Comedy with a dead straight bat, nice callbacks to classic Who, and another great chunk for Coleman. Another Gatiss winner.

Crazy Man
Mar 12, 2006

The laws of sanity are mine, and they will obey me!
So, I was thinking...what was the children horror episode of S07?

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I'm now waiting for 4 episodes later the Doctor to go "man, I still can't believe you told Robin Hood everything about me" and she'll say "Wait what?" and then it flashes back to that scene of her waking up and making up something totally different, rather than explaining about the TARDIS and such. Because Robin Hood isn't real.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

This isn't the spoiler thread

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Robot of Sherwood gifs - I made a lot because man I really enjoyed this episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Yeah so when Robin got cut in the last sword fight I was expecting the Doctor to examine him to see if he really was a robot. Robot's don't bleed. I didn't see blood.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Clara's dress :swoon:

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

SimplyCosmic posted:

convince Anthony Ainley to come back from the dead to play the Sheriff

This is what I kept thinking in every scene with the Sheriff. I was actually kind of waiting for them to reveal that he was the Master the whole time. That was a fun, silly episode, I guess. The scene at the very beginning where they're deciding where to go was absolutely fantastic.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I just finished listening to Tom Baker at 80 which came today. It was a good listen. I liked the intro/outro music, and noted down a handful of choice quotes, which I guess I won't share because of spoilers? Spoilers for an interview, yes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
This episode was dogshit. A classic Gatiss exercise in self-indulgent homage at the expense of story. In this case it was an homage to the 1989 CBBC programme Maid Marian and Her Merry Men. Which was also dogshit.

I award this episode 1.488 papples out of 10.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really wish they'd kept the Microsoft Sam voices for the robots.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It definitely poo poo the bed a lot this episode.
Fiddly dee bullshit filler.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Alan-a-Dale: Aye, the Sheriff, who seeks to oppress us, forever.
Twelfth Doctor: Or six months, in your case!

I enjoyed how the Doctor pissed off every single one of the Merry Men so far.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I love him making GBS threads in everyones cereal.

And the Sheriff looks way too much like the 3rd Doctors Master.

Have you ever been to Nottingham?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

two episodes in a row with a radiation leak causing the trouble. I don't know why that stood out to me

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah the Robots are ancient aliens, because they're always after gold.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I've been to Nottingham. The Doctor is right.

You know, when he pulled that loving spoon out I was sure the episode would either be brilliant or awful. You just can't stay neutral to an episode like that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I just want to say that I'm in America watching this on BBCA. I'll check back in and read the past few pages when this is over...but oh my God, I have just seen Peter Capaldi the curmudgeonly old uncle bickering with a stereotypical OTT movie Robin Hood parody. He has referenced mini-scopes, the Sheriff of Nottingham is a clone of Roger Delgado, and the Doctor just did an akido chop and shouted "HAAAAAII!" and also had a swordfight with a spoon.

Peter Capaldi is basically cosplaying the 3rd Doctor at this point, and it's glorious. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

To be precise, it was a clone of Anthony Ainley.

Anthony Ainley was, however, himself a clone of Roger Delgado :allears:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

To be precise, it was a clone of Anthony Ainley.

Anthony Ainley was, however, himself a clone of Roger Delgado :allears:

Ainley didn't have poo poo on Delgado, sadly. He came close in Survival but it was always a pale imitation.

But my issues with the Master's characterization are well-established so w/e.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What Ainley had going for him was that he LOVED being the Master. He had it made financially already so pretty much his only interests were playing cricket or being the Master, and every so often he'd call up JNT just to say,"Hey got any stories with the Master coming up? I'm down!"

Also his personal home answering phone message was in character :allears:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

What Ainley had going for him was that he LOVED being the Master. He had it made financially already so pretty much his only interests were playing cricket or being the Master, and every so often he'd call up JNT just to say,"Hey got any stories with the Master coming up? I'm down!"

Also his personal home answering phone message was in character :allears:

Except he apparently refused to come back to Big Finish unless they paid him an exorbitant amount. :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Awww I didn't know that :smith:

Then again, he did Destiny of the Doctors so maybe he figured if it wasn't on television it just wasn't worth doing anymore.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Astroman posted:

Peter Capaldi is basically cosplaying the 3rd Doctor at this point, and it's glorious. :allears:

Good point, but I'm still seeing a lot of Princess Bride in this one too, not just the Christopher Guest Sheriff, it's the action sequences and the general tone of the dialogue, also the generosity of the script to allow Coleman to carry the plot at important points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

McDragon posted:

You just can't stay neutral to an episode like that.

I think I managed it, somehow. The spoon fight left me with huge goofy grin plastered all over my face, but large swathes of the episode managed to get so campy and ridiculous that I literally could not make myself sit through them. It was like having RTD back.

The "First Nottingham, then Derby, then Lincoln, then..." "...Worksop?" "THE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD!!!" scene was solid gold, though.

• Locked thread