Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Cool, I'll do that. I'm on site working overtime right now because corporate sent us a domain controller that they refuse to give us remote or local login permissions to, they just totally black boxed it. So no one could access the domain today and the official corporate solution from their on-call sysadmin was for me to drive in and hold the Proliant's power button down for five seconds.

...and they didn't choose to deploy a RODC because????

(the because: splergy admins or ignorant admins)

incoherent fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Out of curiosity, what do you guys who don't work a ticketing queue do for tracking your tasks\time management?
I've taken to whiteboarding stuff, it sorta works. Sometimes I wish I had a queue but then people would just dump stuff in it.

For some reason it's always incredibly busy or pretty dead. This past week was incredibly busy. It gets me kind of panicky and anxious, and every time I check my email there's a new initiative of something or other that's another hour or two of work for me.

I'm having a hell of a time with it, and I just need to remind myself realistically I'm not even backed up more than a few days.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

incoherent posted:

...and they didn't choose to deploy a RODC because????

(the because: splergy admins or ignorant admins)

I specifically recall them asking us why they couldn't ping their preconfigured ILO ports, and it turns out they botched it so bad that they basically came back to us and said "nevermind, we just won't use the ILO".

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you guys who don't work a ticketing queue do for tracking your tasks\time management?
I've taken to whiteboarding stuff, it sorta works. Sometimes I wish I had a queue but then people would just dump stuff in it.

For some reason it's always incredibly busy or pretty dead. This past week was incredibly busy. It gets me kind of panicky and anxious, and every time I check my email there's a new initiative of something or other that's another hour or two of work for me.

I'm having a hell of a time with it, and I just need to remind myself realistically I'm not even backed up more than a few days.

Org mode

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

It's a pisser for my coming from a long MSP/Var role. Internal IT is pretty crap.

My boss basically says "work around 100 hours a month and you are good". I loving hate it but meh gives me time to focus on certs, automation, and stuff. He even said "if you get an offer letter higher than your current pay, bring it to me and I'll match it no questions asked".

They just want me to focus on becoming a vcdx for some reason.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Trello's not bad if you've read a bit on kanban (or even if you haven't.)

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

PCjr sidecar posted:

Trello's not bad if you've read a bit on kanban (or even if you haven't.)

Hey, that looks pretty neat. Thanks.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
A visual system like a board is neat because it forces you to limit the number of things that are in progress at a single time. I used to keep mine as a physical board in my office, so people could see everything that my team had to work on and were much more restrained when asking me for stupid poo poo.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

A whiteboard and a marker are the best things ever.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have a 2 metre wide whiteboard in my office and it's the most useful thing ever.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Since I don't run a team anymore, mine is 36"x48", oriented vertically, and covered in masking tape and index cards. I use these insanely awesome magnets:

http://www.amazon.com/totalElement-Large-Magnetic-Push-Pins/dp/B00JU70360/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1410075803&sr=8-6&keywords=push+pin+magnets

Unlike those stupid push pin magnets that ThinkGeek or whoever sells, these will comfortably hold five or six index cards in a stack. The bottoms are also de-burred and slightly offset from the plastic so they remove easily and won't scratch the poo poo out of your board if you drag them around (though I still recommend lifting and placing, generally).

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 7, 2014

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
I live on a cramped bank of desks against a glass wall, so a whiteboard is out of the question. I sorta used Outlook tasks but it's way quicker to jot stuff down using windows sticky notes.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Super Slash posted:

I live on a cramped bank of desks against a glass wall, so a whiteboard is out of the question. I sorta used Outlook tasks but it's way quicker to jot stuff down using windows sticky notes.
Can't you just use the glass wall? :)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

For those with windows, dry erase markers work on glass - no need to put sticky notes on them. That way you get a nice view while game-planning.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

For those with windows, dry erase markers work on glass - no need to put sticky notes on them. That way you get a nice view while game-planning.

The front of my office is glass but if I started putting up all my tasks and projects I'm afraid it would wind up like this:

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011
A mindmap with hierarchially sorted tasks and lots of priority/type markers has been the choice of task management lately with me and my colleagues. Tasks get added and removed as time goes by and the content of meetings and important parts and decisions are quite well held in there for later. Have an idea for something? Slap it on to the node and mark it with a light bulb. Stupid decision from above? Mark it with :downs:.

yomisei fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 7, 2014

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Does anyone work with any document imaging products? Square 9, iDatix, FileBound...

Holy hell, I need a new job :smithicide:

Kofax capture, Kofax transformation modules, and square 9s smart search. :smithicide:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Misogynist posted:

Can't you just use the glass wall? :)

As much as I'd love to screen my boss away from me, that's a negative :(

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Super Slash posted:

I've been using Stickies (http://www.zhornsoftware.co.uk/stickies/) instead of windows sticky notes. I don't know if it's any better. I just hate the windows sticky note fonts. Certainly a lot of options in stickies. I just use it to write down some of the stuff I've done, since I don't always make tickets as they happen (although I should, it's way easier).

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Hey guys, I'm trying to get a leg up and get more into IT than I am. I'm thinking maybe Systems Admin or something simply broad like that. The problem is that I have no access to any real servers to get any real experience. I've always been THIS close to being able to work on and learn servers better, but things always happen. Basically, how can I learn about servers and whatnot without ever really being able to play with one? Or setting up VM's or anything of that sort. I'd just rather not go back into the mire of poo poo that is ISP helpdesk, but I always tend to fumble when it comes to any experience with servers.

School is pretty much out of the question, I have a wife and kid to (help) support now, and I haven't seen much in the way of internships in this area. If I could just get my hands on a current setup so I can see and learn, but meh.

Any ideas?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Gothmog1065 posted:

If I could just get my hands on a current setup so I can see and learn, but meh.

Any ideas?
Here's the thing: production networks aren't for learning on, test ones are. Get a copy of esxi and a cheapo esxi capable PC, and start building a lab. You can run pretty much any Microsoft or VMware product for free for 60 days, more than enough time to build a nice lab.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Yea, the evaluation version of 2012 R2 I think lasts an incredible 180 days until it expires. It's free for basically anyone.

On another topic, may anyone recommend a interview prep book? I haven't interview in years and I don't want to bomb a new gig.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 8, 2014

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

adorai posted:

Here's the thing: production networks aren't for learning on, test ones are. Get a copy of esxi and a cheapo esxi capable PC, and start building a lab. You can run pretty much any Microsoft or VMware product for free for 60 days, more than enough time to build a nice lab.

Do you have any examples of a cheap esxi compatible computer? Most everything I've seen so far has been a basic i5 CPU with some other stuff going for 800+ (with the RAM upgrades).

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Tab8715 posted:

Yea, the evaluation version of 2012 R2 I think lasts an incredible 180 days until it expires. It's free for basically anyone.

On another topic, may anyone recommend a interview prep book? I haven't interview in years and I don't want to bomb a new gig.

I actually learned a lot by finding some videos on youtube. It was a couple years ago so I didn't keep the links, but I was searching for how to handle answering why you left your other company. (It was a weird situation where people were quitting or being fired left and right for petty reasons so they can save money after they lost some bigger customers).

The "What Color Is Your Parachute?" book is always good to look at, and covers some of that. It looks like they have a book with just interview stuff but I don't know how good it is compared to what is included in the book already. Honestly, if you have a local library I would suggest checking out their books on the subject. You won't need them again till the next time you do a career change and there probably will be newer updated versions out by then.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Gothmog1065 posted:

Do you have any examples of a cheap esxi compatible computer? Most everything I've seen so far has been a basic i5 CPU with some other stuff going for 800+ (with the RAM upgrades).

Unless you are doing nested virtualization, you can just get another hard drive and install esxi on any modern computer. You will want 8+gb of ram depending on how many vms you want to run

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Really you could just use VirtualBox or the free vmware player if you are just launching VMs on a computer to play with. If your goal is to actually manage ESXi thats different.

If you just want to set up a single server to actually be online you can also open up an AWS account, and use the free tier for a year http://aws.amazon.com/free/

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Before I managed to land an IT job I got good practice on VirtualBox as well, and I still use it nowadays to keep myself refreshed. VirtualBox is free, Windows has good lengthy trial periods so you can quickly create and tear down testbeds. On the Linux side, CentOS and Ubuntu are free; CentOS in particular is a good way to touch Red Hat's systems if you want to explore Linux since CentOS is pretty much Red Hat without the Red Hat branding and support.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

You can get an Eval Edition of RHEL too, granted it's only 30-days :(

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think a home lab environment is a good idea. I haven't had a :yotj: yet, but in phone interviews I feel like I've gotten a positive response when I mention that I have a lab at home. It really helps sell the idea that you genuinely think that IT is fun, interesting and cool.

Edit:

If you have a lab, you can set it up so that it doesn't perform timekeeping when turned off. Yeah, your dates are never going to be correct but there are certain advantages to having your clocks only tick forward when the lab is booted up.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

lampey posted:

Unless you are doing nested virtualization, you can just get another hard drive and install esxi on any modern computer. You will want 8+gb of ram depending on how many vms you want to run

I was planning on upgrading my RAM, but my computer is older: Athlon II X3, etc. Is that too old? If so I might be able to weasel my way into an i5.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Gothmog1065 posted:

Endorsing this for your home ESXi lab, can go with the Celeron CPU version and an 8Gb stick of ram for pretty cheap if you're on a budget:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/proliant-servers/product-detail.html?oid=5379860#!tab=features

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Tab8715 posted:

You can get an Eval Edition of RHEL too, granted it's only 30-days :(

OEL is forever! (and like the same thing)

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Hey all, could I get a value check on this IBM Series i5?

We currently have it listed as a public surplus item in Massachusetts if anyone is interested :ssh: It's about to go for a criminally low price if it's worth what I think it is

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Anybody have any familiarity with 2008 R2 / 2012 R2 kernel hardening? edit: Specifically locking down the files on a domain controller.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 8, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Roargasm posted:

We currently have it listed as a public surplus item in Massachusetts if anyone is interested :ssh: It's about to go for a criminally low price if it's worth what I think it is

Last I checked, about a grand or so... If someone buys it they could still call IBM and get software and hardware maintenance.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Roargasm posted:

Well gently caress I am in mass. DIBS.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
:yotj: - Blizzard is checking references.

Just in time - current engagement, the client manager is on the verge of being the subject of a Title VII complaint. Good times.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

OWLS! posted:

Well gently caress I am in mass. DIBS.

Cool, if you leave an email address I'll send you a link to the auction.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Roargasm posted:

Cool, if you leave an email address I'll send you a link to the auction.

Already on the website trying to get registered so I can throw in a bid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
Sounds good, you're looking for an auction ending in #945

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 8, 2014