Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

hogmartin posted:

Looking at those MiGs in the museums, I started wondering about western aircraft in eastern-bloc displays. I can think of a few, but I can't imagine they're quite as common, or in nearly as good shape as the ones that came west with defectors - the ones that went east would be more likely to have been shot down. Just off the top of my head, I can think of the four B-29s that ended up in Russia and were dismantled for reverse-engineering, the Francis Gary Powers U-2, the Balkan war F-117, and I think I recall a B-52 on display in Vietnam. Are there any that I'm missing? Any that aren't in a pretty wrecked state?

Bunch of American-built stuff at Datangshan in China. A P-51 and three C-46's captured from the KMT and pressed into service with the PLA, a F-86 courtesy Pakistan, and and F-104 from Italy, bits of a ROK U-2, probably an F-5 or two...plus the two TU-4's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Slo-Tek posted:

Bunch of American-built stuff at Datangshan in China. A P-51 and three C-46's captured from the KMT and pressed into service with the PLA, a F-86 courtesy Pakistan, and and F-104 from Italy, bits of a ROK U-2, probably an F-5 or two...plus the two TU-4's.

ROC U-2, not ROK...the Black Cats were Taiwanese.

I'm not sure what if anything is on display anywhere now, but the eastern-bloc got their hands on some intact US equipment by way of Vietnam after the South fell...F-5s, A-37s, Hueys, and a couple beat-up Herks was about the extent of it I think.

Also not sure if you'd consider it "eastern-bloc" due to the whole Tito/Stalin split thing but the U.S. sold a fair amount of equipment (F-84s and F-86s among other things) to Yugoslavia in the '50s.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

iyaayas01 posted:

ROC U-2, not ROK...the Black Cats were Taiwanese.

I'm not sure what if anything is on display anywhere now, but the eastern-bloc got their hands on some intact US equipment by way of Vietnam after the South fell...F-5s, A-37s, Hueys, and a couple beat-up Herks was about the extent of it I think.

Ho Chih Minh City has a museum called the War Remnants Museum that goes into some of the gorier aspects of the war. In front of the museum they have a handful of captured aircraft which include, among others, an F-5 and an A-37 both US Air Force insignia.

I'm pretty sure the USAF didn't fly either during the Vietnam War...

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ehnus posted:

Ho Chih Minh City has a museum called the War Remnants Museum that goes into some of the gorier aspects of the war. In front of the museum they have a handful of captured aircraft which include, among others, an F-5 and an A-37 both US Air Force insignia.

I'm pretty sure the USAF didn't fly either during the Vietnam War...

The USAF actually flew both (a little).

There was the Skoshi Tiger evaluation program of 12 F-5s to Bien Hoa and Da Nang in '65. Those aircraft stuck around after the eval ended and were flown by an air commando squadron for another year before they were given to the VNAF. Right around the same time the F-5s got handed over to the VNAF in '67 there were 25 A-37As deployed to Bien Hoa under the Combat Dragon evaluation program, where USAF aircrew flew them. After the evaluation program wrapped up the USAF took the lessons learned and went to Cessna to develop the A-37B...some of those aircraft were utilized in USAF service in Vietnam, in addition to all the ones we sold to the VNAF.

That said, I'm sure that all the aircraft were wearing VNAF insignia when they were captured.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Unresponsive plane overshot florida and it on the way to Cuban airspace, most likely hypoxia.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/05/us/norad-air-threat/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Plinkey posted:

Unresponsive plane overshot florida and it on the way to Cuban airspace, most likely hypoxia.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/05/us/norad-air-threat/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

They apparently asked for lower and went down from FL280 to FL250 before they lost communications. Poor bastards.

ATC recording here.

Aircraft is N900KN. They check on and then ask for lower a little while later due to an "incorrect indication". They ask for FL180 but only get FL250 for traffic. They state they need lower. The controller turns them 20 degrees left. Then they get cleared to FL200 which they respond to. Then they get cleared direct taylor(official "spelling" unknown. They acknowledge this but it's pretty clear they stay turned out and at FL250. Responses get less and less clear. All of the communications with responses are before 10 or so minutes.

They didn't declare an emergency and the controller didn't follow up on what they needed lower for. The more info you have the better.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 5, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
They keep saying it was a 900 on msnbc but the n number inquiry on faa.gov says it's a 700.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
Taylor (TAY) is a VOR in northern florida, probably what he was cleared to.

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

They keep saying it was a 900 on msnbc but the n number inquiry on faa.gov says it's a 700.
Via a comment on Reddit, this is apparently due to the 900 (and 850) being certified on the 700's type certificate. It's definitely a 900.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Any Southeast Michigoons going out to the Selfridge Air Show/Open House today? It's free and looks pretty fun and the Blue Angels are flying. I'm taking the tsarinas out for the afternoon.
http://www.selfridgeopenhouse.com/

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
That CNN article says that a chase pilot saw the pilot slumped at the controls. Crazy sad :(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Didn't the same thing happen in pretty much the same region about a year or so ago?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Colonial Air Force posted:

Didn't the same thing happen in pretty much the same region about a year or so ago?

Happened about a week ago.

EDIT: Interestingly, the Cirrus now has an automated system to help protect against hypoxia, not sure if the accident aircraft I linked had this system or not:

Cirrus Hypoxia Check System

Of course, though hypoxia at the accident flight's cruise altitude of 19,000ft is a very plausible theory, the pilot was 67. He may very well have just died in the plane from other health problems.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 6, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A twin Cessna, I think it was a 421 did something similar out over the gulf, ya. It's more common than I wish it was. :smith:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Ferret King posted:

Of course, though hypoxia at the accident flight's cruise altitude of 19,000ft is a very plausible theory, the pilot was 67. He may very well have just died in the plane from other health problems.

One of the articles on Reuters said that the windows were frosted over on the inside.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

bull3964 posted:

One of the articles on Reuters said that the windows were frosted over on the inside.

I wonder why. The Cirrus isn't pressurized.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So... I just realized that I don't really need a flying car, as cool as that'd be. Just a plane big enough to drive a car into. So, what's the smallest transport that can take a Miata? I assume they aren't quite as affordable as ancient 172s but might be something to keep in mind for when my drug business takes off I win a lottery.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mobby_6kl posted:

So... I just realized that I don't really need a flying car, as cool as that'd be. Just a plane big enough to drive a car into. So, what's the smallest transport that can take a Miata? I assume they aren't quite as affordable as ancient 172s but might be something to keep in mind for when my drug business takes off I win a lottery.

CASA 212, I think.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Any Southeast Michigoons going out to the Selfridge Air Show/Open House today? It's free and looks pretty fun and the Blue Angels are flying. I'm taking the tsarinas out for the afternoon.

I forgot that was this weekend :cripes:

Take pictures!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Ferret King posted:

Happened about a week ago.

EDIT: Interestingly, the Cirrus now has an automated system to help protect against hypoxia, not sure if the accident aircraft I linked had this system or not:

Cirrus Hypoxia Check System

Hmm, I wonder if they could have it set the transponder code too, so ATC can be warned.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

mobby_6kl posted:

A Short Skyvan looks like it should be able to fit a small car inside, but I'm not sure it can.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Oh thanks, both of those are cute little cargo planes :3:

The prices I see for them are over a million, but still cheaper than a flying car, at least.

Not a Michigoon but I'm planning on going here tomorrow. I'll post photos but I don't have a huge tele lens so don't expect too much.

There's also a NATO show-off weekend in a couple of weeks but I'm already booked for a wedding :( hopefully it gets canceled so I can go.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
For a flying car or air-car-transport to be really useful, you need rough field STOVL capabilities at least, ideally VTOVL.

I'm sure the Russians have just the right helicopter for you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

For a flying car or air-car-transport to be really useful, you need rough field STOVL capabilities at least, ideally VTOVL.

I'm sure the Russians have just the right helicopter for you.

An AW609 might carry a motorcycle or two, doubt a miata would fit.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

An AW609 might carry a motorcycle or two, doubt a miata would fit.

How about a Mil Mi-17?

E: Or whichever. The one that holds all those dudes.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 6, 2014

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

mobby_6kl posted:

There's also a NATO show-off weekend in a couple of weeks but I'm already booked for a wedding :( hopefully it gets canceled so I can go.

I was really hoping the Poles would do their stereotypical Su-22 demo, but so far all they have listed is a Mig-29. Oh well, should still be a great show.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

A friend of mine used to do something like that in the past, he'd go to airshows with a convertible merc in the back, a sofa and a fridge full of beer. I can't remember which aircraft he used though. I know at one point he did have a b25 and an A26 invader not sure if they'd be big enough. This was quite some time ago though and well before I knew him.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone into Air Racing. The RedBull Air Race stopped off in DFW this weekend:

Here's the album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/115758916632133870662/2014DFWRedBullAirRace?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMK82d-j067_bQ&feat=directlink

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Skreemer posted:

Anyone into Air Racing. The RedBull Air Race stopped off in DFW this weekend:

planes

Here's the album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/115758916632133870662/2014DFWRedBullAirRace?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMK82d-j067_bQ&feat=directlink

I was at the RBAR when they went to NYC for the only time. That was so loving cool, but it sucks that they never came back (understandable though; they probably lost so much money to do it)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mobby_6kl posted:

DHC-5 Buffalo should be mentioned, as it can take off and land from basically anywhere.

The V-22 Osprey could also carry a Miata internally

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

DHC-5 Buffalo should be mentioned, as it can take off and land from basically anywhere.

The V-22 Osprey could also carry a Miata internally

Despite my borderline irrational love of deHavilland designs, the V-22 is the obvious answer here.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I forgot that was this weekend :cripes:

Take pictures!

No pictures sadly, as I didn't feel like bringing my DSLR rig and the camera in my phone is on the fritz, but here's a report.

The theme of the show was "Women in Aviation", which is awesome because both my daughters are named after WWII Soviet fighter pilots and I'm always on the lookout for lady pilots for them to meet. There was an all-woman skydiving team, the only woman licensed skywriter in North America, and all the stunt and aerobatic solos and teams were all women (save the Angels).

On static display they had Yankee Air Museum's three birds (Yankee Lady (B-17G), Yankee Warrior (B-25D), and Yankee Doodle Dandy (C-47/DC-3), a C-17 out of Stewart, a TC-135W Rivet Joint trainer out of, uh, somewhere, a Viper from the 180th ANG wing out of Toledo, a KC-135, a couple of new Texan trainers (which look like two-position F5s) and just about all the Red Devil A-10s out of Selfridge. They also had a Chinook, a couple of Coastie choppers, and a DHS Blackhawk in this weird black and gold livery that looked for all the world like it was a Macomb County Sheriff bird. For oddities, there was a '48 Ercoupe which was just goddamned adorable and was smaller than my car, a Super Pinto, an ancient Cessna 172, a couple of mid-century European jet trainers (The Super Pinto, the trainers, and a couple other things are owned by World Heritage Air Museum down at Detroit City Airport (KDET) that hadn't heard of before. Apparently they also have the only flying DeHavilland Vampire in North America, an aircraft I saw a couple weeks ago at Thunder Over Michigan.

Flying they had a killer MiG-17, all the stunt planes (nameless, high-pro one-off aerobatic planes I couldn't begin to describe), Selfridge's A-10s and a KC-135 did some flybys, and then the Blue Angels. The Angels were great, but they were neither as flashy nor as loud as the Thunderbirds.

As for non-aviation stuff, the Marines had an engineering unit out there with a bunch of trucks and earth movers on display that you could climb all over, and they had an M2 and a Mk.19 on tripods you could play around with. THey were also giving kids camo facepaint jobs making them all look like Martin Sheen at the end of Apocalypse now. There was also a respectable collection of bouncie castles and inflatable slides/obstacle courses for the kids, which was also free.

The only black mark on the whole day was that the parking was a complete shitshow. Coming in was fine, very organized with volunteers and SPs directing traffic into spots. Going out there were no volunteer or SP traffic controllers and it was a loving free-for-all as everybody left at once and tried to get out the one single exit all at the same time. It took the kid and I 90 minutes to get out of the parking lot, then when we finally got out on to the road that runs behind the base there were four Macomb Co. Sheriff's deputies standing there all in a row directing traffic. Thanks a heap you dumb shitkickers.

Anyway, it was a blast and it was free and there were a ton of cool planes. I'd recommend it to anyone in the area.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Saw this pop up on hackernews of all places, but there's a golden Concorde megathread on pprune, with a lot of interesting details from former techs, pilots and flight engineers.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~

MrYenko posted:

Despite my borderline irrational love of deHavilland designs, the V-22 is the obvious answer here.

At a flyaway cost of $70 million for the V-22, I dont know if its the right answer. Perhaps a C-130/L-100 is more appropriate? You could carry the miata and a couple of spares (cars, not parts).

Its cheaper, too!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If it's not an Osprey, Dash 7.

I mean, look at this ridiculous, beautiful motherfucker:

We may have strayed from the original mission of carry-a-miata, but I don't care. The -7 is ALWAYS the answer.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

No pictures sadly, as I didn't feel like bringing my DSLR rig and the camera in my phone is on the fritz, but here's a report.

The theme of the show was "Women in Aviation", which is awesome because both my daughters are named after WWII Soviet fighter pilots and I'm always on the lookout for lady pilots for them to meet. There was an all-woman skydiving team, the only woman licensed skywriter in North America, and all the stunt and aerobatic solos and teams were all women (save the Angels).

On static display they had Yankee Air Museum's three birds (Yankee Lady (B-17G), Yankee Warrior (B-25D), and Yankee Doodle Dandy (C-47/DC-3), a C-17 out of Stewart, a TC-135W Rivet Joint trainer out of, uh, somewhere, a Viper from the 180th ANG wing out of Toledo, a KC-135, a couple of new Texan trainers (which look like two-position F5s) and just about all the Red Devil A-10s out of Selfridge. They also had a Chinook, a couple of Coastie choppers, and a DHS Blackhawk in this weird black and gold livery that looked for all the world like it was a Macomb County Sheriff bird. For oddities, there was a '48 Ercoupe which was just goddamned adorable and was smaller than my car, a Super Pinto, an ancient Cessna 172, a couple of mid-century European jet trainers (The Super Pinto, the trainers, and a couple other things are owned by World Heritage Air Museum down at Detroit City Airport (KDET) that hadn't heard of before. Apparently they also have the only flying DeHavilland Vampire in North America, an aircraft I saw a couple weeks ago at Thunder Over Michigan.

Flying they had a killer MiG-17, all the stunt planes (nameless, high-pro one-off aerobatic planes I couldn't begin to describe), Selfridge's A-10s and a KC-135 did some flybys, and then the Blue Angels. The Angels were great, but they were neither as flashy nor as loud as the Thunderbirds.

As for non-aviation stuff, the Marines had an engineering unit out there with a bunch of trucks and earth movers on display that you could climb all over, and they had an M2 and a Mk.19 on tripods you could play around with. THey were also giving kids camo facepaint jobs making them all look like Martin Sheen at the end of Apocalypse now. There was also a respectable collection of bouncie castles and inflatable slides/obstacle courses for the kids, which was also free.

The only black mark on the whole day was that the parking was a complete shitshow. Coming in was fine, very organized with volunteers and SPs directing traffic into spots. Going out there were no volunteer or SP traffic controllers and it was a loving free-for-all as everybody left at once and tried to get out the one single exit all at the same time. It took the kid and I 90 minutes to get out of the parking lot, then when we finally got out on to the road that runs behind the base there were four Macomb Co. Sheriff's deputies standing there all in a row directing traffic. Thanks a heap you dumb shitkickers.

Anyway, it was a blast and it was free and there were a ton of cool planes. I'd recommend it to anyone in the area.

Dammit I missed both airshows this year. Willow Run due to work, and then this one because I had no idea Selfridge had an airshow (just moved up here a couple years ago). Guess I'll have to wait until next year - Willow Run is supposed to get the Angels next year; I was sad I missed the T-birds this year because I haven't seen them in close to 20 years.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

MrYenko posted:

If it's not an Osprey, Dash 7.

I mean, look at this ridiculous, beautiful motherfucker:

We may have strayed from the original mission of carry-a-miata, but I don't care. The -7 is ALWAYS the answer.

I have almost 2000 hours on a Dash 7. I loved that piece of junk always breaking plane :)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Lydia and Ekaterina? The first two that popped in to my mind, anyway.

I named my sons after the first human in space, and a famous Soviet sniper! (Well, ok, that's only kind of true, I just happened to like the name Vasiliy).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

mobby_6kl posted:

Just glue some wings and a prop engine on your car and there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Lydia and Ekaterina? The first two that popped in to my mind, anyway.

I named my sons after the first human in space, and a famous Soviet sniper! (Well, ok, that's only kind of true, I just happened to like the name Vasiliy).

Oldest tsarina is Katerina (Budanova) Lydia (Litvyak) and littlest tsarina is Natalia (Meklin) Yulia (uh, princess Juliana of the Netherlands. Long story, family name thing). I wanted Valentina (Tereshkova) but my wife vetoed that because, and I quote, "That name sounds like it belongs to a forty year old Italian gigolo". My wife is the WASPiest WASP that ever WASPed, though, and while she has many fine qualities, she has no soul and a severe lack of awesome names in her ancestry.

And yeah, man. I know your little comrades. Remember I put Yuriy into, like, half a dozen of my Rogue Trader books?