Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
One thing I have noticed with Capaldi. He made a point when he regenerated on how to fly the Tardis, but Capaldi seems to be a perfect Tardis pilot.

Im not sure about this episode, I need to see it again. But so far, 12 just isn't cutting it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

One thing I have noticed with Capaldi. He made a point when he regenerated on how to fly the Tardis, but Capaldi seems to be a perfect Tardis pilot.

Yes, because he'd just regenerated and his head was still screwed up, hence the crashing. The Doctor's usually a bit loopy after regeneration to varying degrees, I'm sure he remembered how to do it once his brain settled down.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yes, because he'd just regenerated and his head was still screwed up, hence the crashing. The Doctor's usually a bit loopy after regeneration to varying degrees, I'm sure he remembered how to do it once his brain settled down.

12 pilots the Tardis nicely, lands smoothly, everything works. With 9, 10, and 11 piloting it was always wonky. Rough landings, being thrown around the console room at take off etc.. Surely you have noticed Capalidis finesse?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

This episode was dogshit. A classic Gatiss exercise in self-indulgent homage at the expense of story. In this case it was an homage to the 1989 CBBC programme Maid Marian and Her Merry Men. Which was also dogshit.

I award this episode 1.488 papples out of 10.

You must tell me how it is not enjoying fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

12 pilots the Tardis nicely, lands smoothly, everything works. With 9, 10, and 11 piloting it was always wonky. Rough landings, being thrown around the console room at take off etc.. Surely you have noticed Capalidis finesse?

At the end of the first episode he lands in Glasgow instead of London, walks away to get Clara coffee and shows up three weeks later at her school.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jerusalem posted:

At the end of the first episode he lands in Glasgow instead of London, walks away to get Clara coffee and shows up three weeks later at her school.

Because he got distracted by things, not because of poor flying. In fact, his flying is now so good he can materialise a TARDIS around an exploding fighter ship and save it's occupant a second before she dies.

I'm not complaining, I couldn't give a poo poo, but he is a lot better at flying than his immediate predecessors were.

EDIT: Specifically he got distracted by the future Big Finish story Doctor Who and The Seer of the Kelpies.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 7, 2014

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cliff Racer posted:

So I'm watching the Day of the Daleks episode 2 and the Doctor just killed someone with a ray gun. When exactly did his "no guns" thing come about?

Burkion posted:

Revival.

"People keep giving me guns and I do wish they wouldn't."
/

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
That episode was great fun and Capaldi is just magical - I've never warmed to a Doctor so quickly before. I think in a couple of episodes time he might be my new favourite. These last two episodes have been brilliant examples of what makes Doctor Who so good.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I could see Tennant playing the Doctor in this story...but I could also seen Troughton, Pertwee, the two Bakers, and McCoy doing so as well.

"The Doctor fences with a spoon" is the new "the Doctor takes the Master's sandwich while sword fighting."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CobiWann posted:

"The Doctor fences with a spoon" is the new "the Doctor takes the Master's sandwich while sword fighting."

My dad theorised that the spoon might've been a reference to McCoy playing the spoons, but I'm pretty sure it was just a silly little thing.

I wasn't quite sure how to feel about the episode until the archery contest happened. That was so ridiculous that I couldn't help but love it, and it set a tone that let the entire rest of the episode shine all the brighter for it. I'm sure other people could've handled the story better, but I've always thought Gatiss wrote to a pretty good standard. It was hard not to like the shot of Troughton's Robin Hood in the ship logs, too.

Next episode's the first of the season I'm a little worried about, though, from the preview. Looks like a pretty painfully by-the-numbers Moffat Horror, specifically a lot like Night Terrors. I don't mind Moffat Horror, but even I'm exhausted enough of them that I'm not really interested.

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
So I listened to Spare Parts.

Never mind Big Finish, I'm pretty sure it is the first audio story I have listened to since I was 8 or so in primary school. I listen to quite a few podcasts but I have often wondered how well a narrative driven audio story would work with me. I had no reason to worry. Without the characters over explaining every little detail, I got a real sense of their environment thanks to great sound effects and lovely incidental music. With not many characters it was easy to pick up little background details about their character and personality. It was sometimes a little hard to understand what the council were saying sometimes thanks to the static around their voice but that's my only technical complaint. Story-wise, it was gripping and brilliant. I've barely seen any Classic Who and never watched a Davison story but it was easy to pick up his style of the Doctor. I know enough to understand the nice moment when they talk about Adric.

Overall, Spare Parts was a brilliant introduction to Big Finish and audiobooks in general for me and I look forward to the next one. Just need to figure out which one...

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

DJ Ramshackle posted:

Overall, Spare Parts was a brilliant introduction to Big Finish and audiobooks in general for me and I look forward to the next one. Just need to figure out which one...

Well don't worry, ending a post like that will get you all the suggestions.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Minuet in Hell. :v:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Add me to the list who enjoyed the episode, even if the story was a little bit wonky in places.

DJ Ramshackle
Nov 26, 2009

Not really a DJ

not quite a ramshackle
Ha, I'm just teasing the thread. I'm listening to a McGann story next, then I'm going to try out some of the 50th anniversary stuff (saving Light at The End till I've listened to a lot more though). Then I'll probably go through the monthly ranges, I understand the quality may differ but it'll be interesting to see the gradual increases from the early stuff to the later ones.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cliff Racer posted:

So I'm watching the Day of the Daleks episode 2 and the Doctor just killed someone with a ray gun. When exactly did his "no guns" thing come about?

Whenever the author wanted the Doctor not to like them

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Yay, an episode i liked that didnt turn out to be "The new worst ever" in the SA thread :)

The last time this happened, Freema Agyeman was the assistant.

So the only episodes you've liked in the last seven years were Planet of the Dead, The End of Time and Lets Kill Hitler? Why do you even watch this programme any more if you hate it so much

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

DJ Ramshackle posted:

then I'm going to try out some of the 50th anniversary stuff

I really enjoyed the first two of the 1963 stories, especially the beatles rip off, Fanfare for the Common Men.

The third seemed a decent enough McCoy story, but it just wasn't quite up there with the other two.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So the only episodes you've liked in the last seven years were Planet of the Dead, The End of Time and Lets Kill Hitler? Why do you even watch this programme any more if you hate it so much

The only way to be a true internet cool guy is to have a large catalog of things you hate and to talk about them incessantly.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You've misunderstood his post here and jumped on him for nothing. Calm down.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I am reading a New Adventures novel. Ace just said "Cybershit". Oh dear.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

You've misunderstood his post here and jumped on him for nothing. Calm down.

I haven't misunderstood his post. I'm mocking him because he tends to come in after a story and jump on any criticism as proof that the thread hates everything.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I haven't misunderstood his post. I'm mocking him because he tends to come in after a story and jump on any criticism as proof that the thread hates everything.

Oh, ironically then I've misunderstood your post. My foot is firmly in my mouth, and my shoe is on the other foot.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Why do you even watch this programme any more if you hate it so much

This bit in particular. It's not until reading the threads on this forum that you realise that those who love the show enough to want to know as much as possible about it and watch unfinished episode workprints and read the scripts before the episode even airs are also the ones who are the first to claim it's not good at all.

It's like raaayaain...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BSam posted:

This bit in particular. It's not until reading the threads on this forum that you realise that those who love the show enough to want to know as much as possible about it and watch unfinished episode workprints and read the scripts before the episode even airs are also the ones who are the first to claim it's not good at all.

It's like raaayaain...

Since time has now passed and most of the leaked scripts were aired I read a few pages of the spoiler thread past where I'd stopped after having watched the first 3, to see what the reaction was a month ago. It really seems like just reading the dry scripts does not do justice to seeing it acted and directed onscreen. Coleman is really shining, Capaldi is selling Uncle Grumpy perfectly, and the guy who played Robin Hood hit the exact notes of Perfect Screen Robin Hood with charm and self aware humor--that wink in the beginning sold me immediately. You have no way of knowing any of that from reading a script. So I'd take the script readers' opinions with a big grain of salt.

CobiWann posted:

I could see Tennant playing the Doctor in this story...but I could also seen Troughton, Pertwee, the two Bakers, and McCoy doing so as well.

I could certainly see them in this one, and Smith as well, but none of them would have had the perfect reactions Capaldi did. I can see 10 or 11 having suspicions that the Merry Men were fake, but going along with it more due to "fun" than 12's reaction of ranting about theme parks, mini-scopes, taking hair samples and rolling his eyes grumpily--all of which owned.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

This episode was more fun than I thought and I think Capaldi is starting to ease into the role which is good. Also, I liked Clara calling out the Doctor on not having a plan.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope that Capaldi will start telling people to "spack off" at some point in the future.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh, ironically then I've misunderstood your post. My foot is firmly in my mouth, and my shoe is on the other foot.

This is like inception. We're at 4 levels of commenting ironically to irony.

I love almost all episodes of doctor who if it wasn't clear. This episode was the best one yet. The robots were a cool design and it was funny.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Astroman posted:

Since time has now passed and most of the leaked scripts were aired I read a few pages of the spoiler thread past where I'd stopped after having watched the first 3, to see what the reaction was a month ago. It really seems like just reading the dry scripts does not do justice to seeing it acted and directed onscreen. Coleman is really shining, Capaldi is selling Uncle Grumpy perfectly, and the guy who played Robin Hood hit the exact notes of Perfect Screen Robin Hood with charm and self aware humor--that wink in the beginning sold me immediately. You have no way of knowing any of that from reading a script. So I'd take the script readers' opinions with a big grain of salt.

Yeah, I feel like this episode really would have faltered just going off the page or the workprint. It probably reads like a far-too-silly children's show script, and some of the lynchpin scenes just wouldn't have worked at all without the performances, cinematography and effects. The archery contest and subsequent scene in the prison cell are the specific ones that I just can't see working with anything less than all of the puzzle pieces.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I still don't know what to make of Capaldi.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A lovely cake

oh of him, not for him

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
A good actor working with material so far beneath him as to be embarrassing for everyone involved. Making him play the gaol scene in the last episode was like having Mozart score a Go Compare ad.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Fan with a Pertwee av if there had been message boards in 1987: "I still don't know what to make of McCoy." :v:

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I feel like this episode really would have faltered just going off the page or the workprint. It probably reads like a far-too-silly children's show script, and some of the lynchpin scenes just wouldn't have worked at all without the performances, cinematography and effects. The archery contest and subsequent scene in the prison cell are the specific ones that I just can't see working with anything less than all of the puzzle pieces.

I also bet that if people who hadn't seen the episodes had just read scripts of any number of 10 or 11 stories, even ones that are considered beloved today by the majority, they'd have been bashing them to high heaven.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

A good actor working with material so far beneath him as to be embarrassing for everyone involved. Making him play the gaol scene in the last episode was like having Mozart score a Go Compare ad.

The only way this metaphor works is if it turns out Mozart is a massive advertising geek and was always dying to work on commercials since he was a boy and wanted to be Don Draper.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 7, 2014

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The spoonfight was dreadful and made me cringe, as did the cell scene. But I hate the Cybermen/Dalek banter from Doomsday and also fun, so what do I know.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A lovely cake

oh of him, not for him

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I just don't have strong feelings for him either way. :iiam:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This was superb. The preview made me a bit dubious, but in practise, it knew it was silly and fun and just went for being really enjoyable silly fun.

I also love Clara's development as a character. She's so competent, capable and self-assured in these episodes and it's really funny and a good dynamic to see her managing the Doctor as he bickers with Robin Hood and mithers off on tangents.

Standout moment for me was the Sheriff of Nottingham's spiel on how his rule of England would proceed. ("And after that..." "...Worksop?" "THE WORLD!!"). That bit was legitimately very well-conceived, well-delivered comedy that fired on all levels.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Astroman posted:

I also bet that if people who hadn't seen the episodes had just read scripts of any number of 10 or 11 stories, even ones that are considered beloved today by the majority, they'd have been bashing them to high heaven.

"Holy poo poo Midnight is going to be bad. Did you read that utterly stupid scene where Ten and the possessed woman start saying wacky poo poo at the same time? Also a possession? YAWN."

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Why are people in this thread so quick to shout down criticism?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Why are people in this thread so quick to shout down criticism?

Because nerds focus on the most banal of things and even in general basing your criticism off of an unfinished piece of work is pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
All of the timber supports in this construction are rotten and some of the nails aren't the right size, but I'm sure it'll make a fine building!

• Locked thread